Herbs - less is more? 05/17/2016 10:28 PM CDT
Could we possibly have some herbs that heal all torso wounds (chest, abdomen, back) for internal and external, also something for face (head, neck, eyes) internal and external? would be nice to not have to carry around 1000 herbs for every single portion of the body.

Make the cost more, I don't care. It would just be nice to have specific and generalistics.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/17/2016 10:34 PM CDT

I'm trying to wrap my head around using herbs for first aid type of stuff while out in the fields and then a empath for when I come to town.

But as complex as alchemy is now I don't see the logic or usefulness of it except to a necromancer who cannot come to town to get healed by an empath.

Also could the Crossing Hospital be converted to work like every other hospital in the realms. I don't mind waiting. Keva works for if you have a bunch of gushing blood fountains and want to join her list, but it would be nice if the main doctor would heal every wound internal or external and scars. We are being charged for it so might as well be able to get the full effect.

Yes empaths need experience but they are not always around or awake. And sometimes you would rather just work with the hired help.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/17/2016 10:39 PM CDT

> But as complex as alchemy is now I don't see the logic or usefulness of it except to a necromancer who cannot come to town to get healed by an empath.

Is Alchemy even that useful for necros? Can't they just harvest or consume corpses to heal more quickly?

This is coming from someone who loves alchemy from a thematic point of view. I learn it on all of my characters because I like it. I've always liked it, but I wouldn't do it for usefulness. I don't think you can without more or less invalidating an entire class.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/17/2016 10:52 PM CDT
It's about as useful to Necromancers as it is to an Empath.

The only situation where I MIGHT want a remedy is if I blow both my hands/arms off and can't pick up a material to Devour.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/17/2016 11:29 PM CDT
I don't feel that herbs are very useful if you actually go into town as part of your routine. They're nice for addressing bleeders- I largely use herbs to shunt my wounds over into scars, but carrying scar herbs is simply too much work for me -- that and I can't make most of them.

The new alchemy system only really highlighted a lot of flaws that are systemic to the original design (or lack thereof). Empath healing is just too good to ensure empaths get patients and empathy exp.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 07:37 AM CDT
I'd say it's less empath healing is too good, and more that literally every other system in the game is crippled andthen beaten to death with a blunt hammer to ensure empaths get healing.

Which is about as intelligent as ensuring no one can depart unless a cleric helps them, honestly. Or that no one can wear armor unless a Paladin dresses them.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 08:16 AM CDT
>>literally every other system in the game is crippled andthen beaten to death with a blunt hammer to ensure empaths get healing.

It would be interesting to see how many people used the new alchemy system more than once when saying things like this, because my experiences using 3.0 remedies have been nothing but great. I've had super crushed darkbox style hands grow back with no problem (and in short time) with 3.0 alchemy, while using 2.0 remedies would have taken more time.

The biggest flaw in alchemy is the gathering/preparing phase, because compared to mining/lumberjacking the former is too short and the latter is too long, and the latter never really teaches past a low skill threshold. Unlike mining, where I can lock outdoorsmanship but take 15-20 minutes to mine, I can gather enough herb materials in 1-2 minutes. Unlike smelting, which doesn't teach but takes 2 minutes, preparing herbs for alchemy takes 15-20 minutes while also not teaching.

In other words, if gathering plants too longer but taught the way it did, and preparing plants took shorter to soften the blow of how low skill it trains, I'd be more golden with the system.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 08:30 AM CDT

> I've had super crushed darkbox style hands grow back with no problem (and in short time) with 3.0 alchemy, while using 2.0 remedies would have taken more time.

From someone who practiced alchemy since day 1:

Benefits of the new system
1. They heal more than the old system. The old system only healed minor wounds. The new system can heal anything.
2. Potential room for more than just remedies.
3. I find it fun.

Benefits of the old system
1. Usable herbs dropped from monsters. No prepare time or need to carry everything with you (mostly).
2. Still encouraged empath use while letting herbs be viable.
3. Less weight overall.
4. Hidden pyramids that gave you hours of free mech (bug)
5. Anyone could make potions of any type without any skill.
6. There was no lingering penalty for using herbs. If the penalty is ever turned on, it will be the death knell to alchemy.
7. You could experiment and discover recipes
8. I found it fun.

In short, as it stands, the new system is only better if you cut off your hands, or get seriously wounded, and can't visit an empath. The old system was better (easier, less penalized) in every other way. I like both, but mostly thematically and for reasons unbeknownst to me. I just find alchemy fun.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 09:25 AM CDT
>It would be interesting to see how many people used the new alchemy system more than once when saying things like this, because my experiences using 3.0 remedies have been nothing but great.

I'd put more weight behind this if there was anything in game you didn't love :).

You're also a necromancer. So your self healing biases your opinion, since every other non-empath guild doesn't have that option.

Generally speaking, I tried alchemy for a while, and found it tiresome to gather/prep the herbs. I found the reagents too bulky. They didn't heal enough spots and you needed too many herbs to heal. You either had to fully heal OR not at all, since auto-paths don't play well. Cost is a minimal concern, since even a full heal from an autopath costs a gold or two. Convenience? I'm 2 minutes from an autopath anywhere in the game.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 09:34 AM CDT

For me it's a combination issue - too many specific recipes for healing specific locations, and the rank requirement for higher potency things is limiting. Personally, I'd prefer if there were general healing recipes with a trade off of lesser potency or 'capped healing' (can only stop bleeding, or can only heal a wound down to, or of, a certain rank), so they'd be useful for emergencies. As it is, if I start bleeding my first thought isn't 'Well I better whip up something for that chest...', it's 'whelp, off to find an Empath or hit up the autopuff'.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 10:05 AM CDT
>>I'd put more weight behind this if there was anything in game you didn't love :).

In the very post where you quote this, I highlighted the parts of the system I felt needed help.

>>You're also a necromancer. So your self healing biases your opinion, since every other non-empath guild doesn't have that option.

Alternatively, anyone with access to empaths are also biased, because they have access to empaths. Case in point, you saying "I'm 2 minutes from an autopath anywhere in the game."

>>Generally speaking, I tried alchemy for a while, and found it tiresome to gather/prep the herbs.

Literally just wrote what I wrote about prep time investment.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 10:17 AM CDT
>Literally just wrote what I wrote about prep time investment.

Yes, I guess I 'literally' wrote what you did, if you chop off 90% of my post? You need to relax a little man.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 10:29 AM CDT
>>Yes, I guess I 'literally' wrote what you did, if you chop off 90% of my post? You need to relax a little man.

No, just responding to a specific point: how the issue I have with alchemy right now is that the gathering part, which trains, is too short (so it doesn't train that well because it ends too fast), while the preparation part, which only trains at low skill, is too high (so it just eats up time without any real skill gain payout).

Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 10:52 AM CDT

> Personally, I'd prefer if there were general healing recipes with a trade off of lesser potency or 'capped healing'

Isn't that how the recipes work now? You can make an all-heal with few ranks, but it won't be master crafted.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 11:05 AM CDT
>No, just responding to a specific point: how the issue I have with alchemy right now is that the gathering part, which trains, is too short (so it doesn't train that well because it ends too fast), while the preparation part, which only trains at low skill, is too high (so it just eats up time without any real skill gain payout).

Ah, I totally agree with that part then. There's more to it for me, is all.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 11:12 AM CDT
Except there aren't any general wound or combination wound (say, head/neck/eyes, chest/abdomen/back, and limbs/skin/nerves) healing recipes. That would go a long way to helping alchemy, since it would reduce the number of items necessary from 16 to 6.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 11:38 AM CDT

> Except there aren't any general wound or combination wound (say, head/neck/eyes, chest/abdomen/back, and limbs/skin/nerves) healing recipes. That would go a long way to helping alchemy, since it would reduce the number of items necessary from 16 to 6.

I would love to see this. Something along the lines of "general poultices" to at the minimum bring it down to 4 herbs.

I'd also like to see using alchemy reagents train and contest first aid. Even if it was as simple as burning extra charges with low first aid skill, or maybe a low chance at not using a full charge or boosting potency with high first aid.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 11:44 AM CDT
It was a mistake to keep herbs being for specific body parts instead of having 4 types for internal/external wound/scar and having the different tiers be different levels of potency vs toxicity vs healing a lot of wounds over time vs healing one very large wound in a short burst.

The current system is convoluted, creating things is annoying, it requires too many items, it's time-consuming, the herbs are too heavy and take up too much space, and keeping track of what each remedy does requires either genie subs, a reference table, or an ability to retain useless information which exceeds my own and that's coming from someone that can count to ten in S'Kra as a bar trick.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 03:15 PM CDT
>>No, just responding to a specific point: how the issue I have with alchemy right now is that the gathering part, which trains, is too short (so it doesn't train that well because it ends too fast), while the preparation part, which only trains at low skill, is too high (so it just eats up time without any real skill gain payout).

I agree completely here. This is the major flaw with the alchemy system and could stand review.

The whole system is really about trading off time, toxicity, and weight/item count for pretty great healing power. Some of those trade-offs definitely still need tweaking but I do find it very useful as is.

- Navesi
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 03:37 PM CDT
I'm also totally on-board with how herbs work as a whole getting reworked. I wouldn't lose any sleep at all if herbs were more involved in potency/toxicity, as opposed to jadice healing limb and so on.

I'd just consider it unfair if we say knowing what new herbs are is so much more complicated than understanding how old herbs work, because with the exception of cebi and hisan the which-heals-what system is the same as it ever was.

Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 04:03 PM CDT
>Which is about as intelligent as ensuring no one can depart unless a cleric helps them, honestly. Or that no one can wear armor unless a Paladin dresses them.

The trouble is that Empaths needs empathy exp. If departing corpses was the principle method of learning theurgy, or you learned armor for gearing up instead of taking damage, then I would expect we'd live in a world where you needed a cleric to die properly and a Paladin needed to buff you into your armor before a hunt (I just remembered that system actually exists in Anarchy Online).

The rest of the trouble with healing is, I suspect, a lot of baked-in values in the game. Unless the healing system is actually fully scripted, in which case colour me surprised.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 04:46 PM CDT
>The trouble is that Empaths needs empathy exp.

Which should be addressed with empaths, not the entire rest of the game.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 05:16 PM CDT

> Which should be addressed with empaths, not the entire rest of the game.

It's already been addressed. Perceive health. Manipulate. Anatomy Charts. I'd much rather have some number tweaks there than gimp an entire crafting system.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 08:07 PM CDT

I self-heal with herbs a lot. I semi-accidentally killed a friend of mine the other night and then healed his corpse with herbs, too. Sometimes I heal my friends while we're hunting just for giggles. I love how potent remedies are.

Do I think they could stand some tweaking? Absolutely, for all the previously listed reasons (too heavy, too many necessary to heal certain parts, etc).
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 08:42 PM CDT
Manipulate teaches extremely well (after about 100 ranks of Empathy, it's not great early on). Empath having problems with it? Please feel free to contact me and I can join you in the field and see if we can work out some improvements. A large number of Empaths don't think they have the "combats" to hunt something on par with their Empathy, but there's ways around that. I don't want to get too off topic so I'll leave it at that.

I used to really like old herbs and often gave starting players a small kit to help them heal for the first few circles and spend more time fighting. Now with the weight and complexity, it's not really worth putting a kit together for anyone. The time it takes to make the remedies is also pretty large for what you're getting out of it.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 09:46 PM CDT
>healed his corpse with herbs, too.

Was this with old herbs or remedies? I didn't think remedies would heal the dead. Can you feed old herbs to someone still?

>Now with the weight and complexity, it's not really worth putting a kit together for anyone. The time it takes to make the remedies is also pretty large for what you're getting out of it.

Agreed. If a single remedy dose was increased to ten doses for the same amount of ingredients, weight and creation time that a single dose took they'd be more practical. The variety of remedies you need to carry to heal all potential wounds would probably still make them more trouble than they're worth though.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 09:59 PM CDT

>Was this with old herbs or remedies?

Nope, all with new stuff that I've made.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 11:25 PM CDT

What's the command to feed it to a dead body?
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/18/2016 11:32 PM CDT
The body needs to CONSENT <your name> and then you need to APPLY <herb> ON <player> {optional body part}. It may also be prevented by the body's DEMEANOR setting towards you, but I'm not sure about that part.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/19/2016 12:06 AM CDT
I'm still amused by the existence of CONSENT EMPATH.

Thayet

Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/19/2016 12:47 AM CDT
I think it should be renamed CONSENT HERB or CONSENT REMEDY. Especially since the existing help makes it sound like only Empaths can make use of that command or be targeted by it, and it doesn't work that way.

>CONSENT EMPATH [CLEAR]
>WARNING! This will allow any Empath to affect you with substances. This does not allow an Empath to pick up your grave items.

Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/19/2016 01:59 AM CDT
I always forget about Consent Empath. That explains things.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/19/2016 02:02 AM CDT
Wait, so does that currently allow anyone, not just Empaths, to affect you with herbs? It totally should work like that. It'd make a lot more sense.

Thayet

Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/19/2016 06:50 AM CDT

>Especially since the existing help makes it sound like only Empaths can make use of that command or be targeted by it, and it doesn't work that way.

I'm sorry, are you saying my character lacks empathy? Harumph.
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/19/2016 07:50 AM CDT
>>Especially since the existing help makes it sound like only Empaths can make use of that command or be targeted by it, and it doesn't work that way.

>I'm sorry, are you saying my character lacks empathy? Harumph.

I think she has it in spades compared to mine, but the help could use some updating.

Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/22/2016 05:25 PM CDT
I have reduced the weight of remedies by a fairly large amount to address some of the complaints expressed here. I'll need more time to see if the plant ingredients need any adjusting too.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/22/2016 06:54 PM CDT
>I have reduced the weight of remedies by a fairly large amount to address some of the complaints expressed here. I'll need more time to see if the plant ingredients need any adjusting too.

Does this mean the weight of the tools, the potions or both?
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/22/2016 06:57 PM CDT
The weight of the remedies, which take numerous forms. I reduced their weight by 75%. All remedies should auto-correct when eaten,broken,combined.

Tools I can't help you with. My advice is to not carry them around and utilize crafting storage or vault space.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/22/2016 07:10 PM CDT
Weights are WAY better now, thank you!

Thayet

Re: Herbs - less is more? 05/22/2016 09:35 PM CDT
Kodius... while you are looking at remedies could you check why Belradi and Dioica don't heal all scars? Belradi won't heal eye, head and back scars and Dioica won't heal head or eye scars. The info about them says they should. Thanks