Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/16/2016 11:11 PM CST

Because dying out in the boonies and losing my hard earned favors it is tiring! I'm having issues though. I simply don't know what to do, and I can't find the instructions in the book telling me what to do. Take for instance Itch Salve, Chapter 2, Page 2.

Some itch salve is a craftable item in the Alchemy society under the Remedies crafting discipline. This is considered to be a very easy piece to make, though knowledge of the Wound Remedy Basics technique will be beneficial to the crafter.

This item is listed as a "basic wound remedy" ingredient type and is created using a mortar and pestle to crush or a cooking pot and stirring rod to mix. A crafter may also find it helpful to have a sieve, some water and alcohol, and a fire if mixing on hand.

A list of ingredients is provided:

(5) prepared herb (pieces per use, known to provide minor external healing over the entire body)
(1) splash of water
(1) prepared herb (pieces total, known to heal external wounds of the limbs)
(1) catalyst material

That being said. WHAT DO I DO. do i use it in a mortar and pestle to crush red flowers? Do I put it in a cooking pot? Where do i get fire for a cooking pot? Do I put everything in one bowl and stir? I can't seem to put water in my mortar with my red flower in it.

My ire may be because i'm babied on the matter of crafting from Shaping so much utilizing the information on the elanthipedia page, where it gives instructions on what you have to do to begin production.

>>The first step is to turn your shaping book to the desired chapter and page, then STUDY it. If making an item with variable design then the first step is to turn your design codex to the desired chapter and page and STUDY it before studying the page in the shaping book. After that, SCRAPE <lumber> WITH DRAWKNIFE and then switch to a carving knife and CARVE <object> WITH KNIFE until the item is complete or a problem is reached.

Looking on the Alchemy page there isn't any starting instructions (that I see) on how to go about it. :(
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/16/2016 11:37 PM CST
Basically, recipes that are based on external herbs use mortar and pestle, while recipes based on internal herbs use a bowl and mixing stick. I'm not sure what the reference to stirring rod is about. So since itch salve is based on red flowers, you'll use a mortar and pestle.

Put the flowers in the mortar, study your recipe, then crush the flowers with your pestle. That will start the process, and then you follow the directions as normal.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 04:53 AM CST
Hi,

Ok first things first look at the guide - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Remedies_Player_Guide

In the guide its recommended you either print out chapter 1 of the book or copy it out and put it in a file. What I did was log reading each page of chapter 1 for all the herbs. And then saved it as a file to either print or just bring up when I used it. This really is needed so you can see which herb is needed based on the list of ingredients needed. The itch salve as you pointed out shows the following:

(5) prepared herb (pieces per use, known to provide minor external healing over the entire body)
(1) splash of water
(1) prepared herb (pieces total, known to heal external wounds of the limbs)
(1) catalyst material

Now what are the prepared herbs used in the itch salve. Notice this part - , known to provide minor external healing over the entire body) - That part tells you exactly what herb it is but till you get used to what its saying you need to keep this list. Note the minor external healing over the entire body is the red flowers which need to be dried. Basic rule of thumb all remedies that use an external herb need to have that herb dried. All remedies that use an internal herb have to have the herb crushed. The second herb in the itch salve needs to heal external wounds of the limbs. The list from chapter one tells you that is Jadice flowers which since its an external herb needs to be dried. If you make a single dose of itch salve you use 5 parts of dried red flowers and 1 part dried jadice flowers, 1 part water, 1 part catalyst. If you make a 5 dose version use 25 parts of dried red flowers, 1 part dried jadice flowers, 1 part water, and 1 part catalyst.

If you read chapter 1 of your remedy book you will find this list in that book. I would copy this section out and put it where you can get at it easily.

A short list of herbs known to general problems is provided:

Red Flower - minor external healing over the entire body
Blue Flower - minor internal healing over the entire body

A short list of herbs known to heal external wounds is provided:

Nemoih Root - external head wounds
Jadice Flower - external limb wounds
Plovik Leaf - external chest wounds
Nilos Grass - external abdomen wounds
Georin Grass - external neck wounds
Hulnik Grass - external back wounds
Sufil Sap - external eye wounds
Aloe Leaf - external skin and nerve wounds

A short list of herbs known to heal internal wounds is provided:

Eghmok Moss - internal head wounds
Yelith Root - internal limb wounds
Ithor Root - internal chest wounds
Muljin Sap - internal abdomen wounds
Riolur Leaf - internal neck wounds
Junliar Stem - internal back wounds
Aevaes Leaf - internal eye wounds
Lujeakave Root - internal skin and nerve wounds

A short list of herbs known to heal external scars is provided:

Qun Pollen - external head, neck and eye scars
Genich Stem - external body scars
Blocil Berries - external limb scars
Cebi Root - external skin and nerve scars
Dioca Sap - external entire body scars

A short list of herbs known to heal internal scars is provided:

Hulij Leaf - internal head, neck and eye scars
Ojhenik Root - internal body scars
Nuloe Stem - internal limb scars
Hisan Flower - internal skin and nerve scars
Belradi Moss - internal entire body scars

Please note that junliar stem, when foraged, does not work. The only way to do a remedy with junliar stem is to buy it already crushed in one of the society buildings. Note the quality of the crushed junliar you buy is not top notch either so make sure you can use whats there well enough to get the quality you need.

Now the second part is water. You buy that at the alchemy society. Its a 10 part item so you use one part of it when you use it. The Catalysts possible are as follows: niniam, muracite, electrum, pewter, seolarn weed (crushed), coal, niello and orichalcum. Niniam can only be mined. Muracite can be mined and found on critters. Electrum mined and found on critters. Pewter found on critters and made (3 tin:2 lead), and thus also mined. Seolarn foraged. Coal bought in forging society and mined. Niello and orachilum are quest only items. This means pewter, seolarn weed crushed, and coal are the early catalyst you can use and of those three coal has the least toxicity. Early on when you don't have much skill workability plays a huge part in making things. The higher the workability the better off you are in completion of the remedy. Now also the prices of the items affect how much you get paid too if you do work orders. Check the guide at the link I gave and read up on this in the guide.

The guide also gives the steps you follow: MY rule of thumb in how I do it, is if its a solid (salve, ungent, cream, balm, ointment, or poultice, then its a solid and you use mortar and pestle. If its a potion, tonic, wash, elixir, or draught, then its a liquid and you use the mixing bowl and mixing stick. Though I'm pretty sure you can also use the mortar with a mixing stick.

So bottom line. Read the guide it helps. Folks have gone through the steps and they are listed in the guide.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 06:54 AM CST
The crafting books have introductions, and chapter 1 instructions.

Pfanston already told you what to do, but when in doubt, read the instructions.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 12:32 PM CST

>>BADGOPHER: The crafting books have introductions, and chapter 1 instructions.
Pfanston already told you what to do, but when in doubt, read the instructions.

Thanks for assuming i haven't read the book at all. If not multiple times, before this post.

>> ILLIENA: Basically, recipes that are based on *external herbs use mortar and pestle*, while recipes based on internal herbs use a bowl and mixing stick.

>>LAWREYJRJ7: Basic rule of thumb all remedies that use an external herb need to have that herb dried. All remedies that use an *internal herb have to have the herb crushed.*

Already we have conflicting information from different people.

I've already read the alchemy book, i've read the guide. I was TOLD BY PFANSTON that if its for external you use a dried herb (like a red flower), and if its internal you use a crushed herb (like the blue flower). It explains thus on chapter 1 page 1.

The part of the Remedy Guide, which I already read, about the beginning processes.

>>Remedy Basics
The first two steps are always the same. The following steps after the first two can occur in any order. Note, if you are making a salve, ointment, balm, ungent, or some solid, you use the mortar and pestle and crush it. If you are making a tonic, potion, draught, or some liquid, you use the bowl and mixing stick and mix it.

IF I AM MAKING AN EXTERNAL HEALING ITEM I USE A MORTAR AND PESTLE NOW?? Likewise if i'm making an internal healing item I dont crush it in a mortar and pestle.

Was that a goof on that part, i'm not sure.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 12:40 PM CST
> Already we have conflicting information from different people.

No, you don't. LAWREYJRJ7 was telling you about the preparation of the herb. I was telling you about the creation of the remedy. External herbs need to be dried before use, and then the remedy is made with a mortar and pestle. Internal herbs need to be crushed before use, and then the remedy is made with a bowl and mixing stick.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 12:48 PM CST
You get a polished gloamstone pestle from inside your steelsilk pack.
>crush my riolur with my pestle
You stop, realizing that type of plant requires a cooking pot and mixing stick.

The system even tells you if you're doing it wrong. Take a breath, it's really not that bad.

Also this site is very helpful.

http://www.kythsjournal.com/alchemy.htm
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 01:20 PM CST
>Thanks for assuming i haven't read the book at all. If not multiple times, before this post.

Well.

> turn book to fore
You turn to the book's Foreword.
> r book

-= A Foreword on Remedy crafting =-

No greater calling exists than that of the healer. Very few adventurers find themselves capable of empathic healing. Thankfully, there is hope to those of us lacking magically attuned senses. Like so many things, Alchemy can cure and it can kill. The science behind brewing up potions and cooking poultices remains elusive to many - so many would rather remain ignorant and brand us as hedgemages and tricksters! But, those are the ones who often find themselves crawling (or sometimes being carried!) into the clinic begging for a cure to the pox or a potent hangover cure.

As a maker of remedies you'll learn much about these crafts and others. Some of these include topical ointments to heal burns and mend flesh wounds, potions that soothe damaged internal organs and elixers that neutralize poison and disease! It is true that in terms of speed and potency, the Empath Guild cannot be bested. But who wants to drag an Empath along to the bar every night? Who has time to seek one out when your arm has been lopped off? Even the Empaths find remedies very useful to augment their magical abilities.

If you are interested in crafting remedies you'll do best to practice your Outdoorsmanship skills. Foraging up plants and mining rocks and metals to act as catalysts will allow you to rely less on the stores and free you from the Trader's grasp. The first chapter in the book of Remedy instructions will have some pages devoted to listing the common types of herbs and what they are good at affecting. Next, you'll want to read the later chapters and decide upon something to make. Then, forage up the herbs needed and get ready to prepare them.

Some herbs require preparation by drying in a wayerd pyramid. Others need to be crushed in a mortar and pestle, and still others require more exotic preparations. Only prepared herbs are suitable for use with Alchemy, so get that settled before moving on.

Once you have prepared herbs, get some water, alcohol or oil as the instructions direct, and whatever catalysts you intend to use. Every remedy has a few basic properties that define how it affects the body. Potency is generally how strong of an effect it applies when your body absorbs it. Efficacy is how long the compounds remain in your body. Solubility determines how quickly the remedy is absorbed, and toxicity affects how quickly you incur negative side effects from consuming too many remedies in a short time. Catalysts determine these properties and can be added in different amounts during the crafting process.

To prepare a remedy first study the page of instructions describing it. Then fill the mortar or cauldron with whatever liquid is required. Next, put the ingredients into the mortar or cauldron and begin crushing them with a pestle or stirring them with a stirring rod. Various problems may arise during the crafting process that you can choose to ignore, or handle with the appropriate tools and actions. Adding the catalyst occurs about half way through the crafting process. Just PUT the catalyst material into the cauldron or mortar to shave some off for use. You can do this up to five times and create your own custom properties. Catalyst metals will not be suitable for alchemy if mixed with other metals, so be careful before you go and try it. After the catalysts are added, just continue crushing or stirring the mixture until it is finished. At this point you may need some vials to pour it into if the remedy is an ointment or a liquid. That should be enough to get your started. Good luck with your crafting!

- Malerki, Master of the Zoluren Alchemy Society
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 01:32 PM CST
> Well.

In his defense, that foreword is wrong.

> To prepare a remedy first study the page of instructions describing it. Then fill the mortar or cauldron with whatever liquid is required. Next, put the ingredients into the mortar or cauldron and begin crushing them with a pestle or stirring them with a stirring rod.

This says you add the water or alcohol before the first action. You don't.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 01:43 PM CST

THE FOREWORD IS WRONG? So that's why all my attempts to move forward are failing. And thus, thanks to the denizens of the forum, answers are obtained! Maybe, still have yet to actually make anything, but i'll try to find the right steps now that I know the instructions were telling me wrong. :)
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 01:44 PM CST
I think Caraamon probably covers alchemy in his crafting social. Sometimes it helps to have assistance in person when you can get it.

CRAFTING SOCIAL: The first and third Monday of every month at 11:00 PM Eastern -- all crafters and aspiring crafters are invited to set aside their tools, stop slaving over a hot forge and join the Mentor Society for a biweekly Crafting Social - artisans and beginners from all crafts are welcome. This social is held just outside the Crossing Forging Society.

This Monday is the third Monday.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 01:50 PM CST
> Maybe, still have yet to actually make anything, but i'll try to find the right steps now that I know the instructions were telling me wrong. :)

1) Put the base herb (dried red flowers, in your case) in the appropriate vessel (mortar or bowl).
2) Study the recipe in the crafting book.
3) Crush the herb with a pestle or mix with a mixing stick, as appropriate to the vessel.
4) React to the various events that occur. The very first event will require you to add water or alcohol.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 01:54 PM CST

..so.. since i'm using a red flower, external wound healing...

i put it in a bowl? and mix it with a stick? to begin?
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 02:01 PM CST
Other way around. Since it's external, you put it in a mortar and crush it with a pestle.

You could try a bowl and mixing stick, but the game would tell you that you were using the wrong tools.

Note that the red flower needs to be dried before it can be used. If you bought it from the society, it's already been dried. If you foraged it yourself, you'll need to dry it. The easiest way to do that is with a dry press in the society, or you could use a pyramid, or rangers have a beseech that will do it.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 02:05 PM CST
If i want to make Moisture Cream

(1) splash of alcohol
(1) prepared herb (pieces total, known to heal external wounds of the chest)
(1) catalyst material

And i wanted 5 doses of it. would I put 25 dried red flowers into it, and 5 dried Plovik leaf into it, and then begin to crush it?
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 02:26 PM CST
No, just the 25 dried red flowers. The dried plovik gets added later; you'll get an appropriate message when it's time. And you'll only need 1 dried plovik, no matter how many doses you're making at a time.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 02:27 PM CST
>>>> And i wanted 5 doses of it. would I put 25 dried red flowers into it, and 5 dried Plovik leaf into it, and then begin to crush it?

No. You put the dried red flowers in and start crushing. You will be told when to add the water, the dried plovik and the catalyst later.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 02:59 PM CST

In the guide it says

>> Upon completion you see some particulate clouding up the mixture - means next step is to get the sieve and push remedy with sieve

Where i'm at.

>>With short strokes you crush some unfinished moisturizing ointment with your pestle. The pestle slips and falls upon the dirty floor! You hastily pick it back up.

>>Upon completion you see some particulate clouding up the mixture.
Roundtime: 24 sec.

>>You need another prepared herb to continue crafting some unfinished moisturizing ointment. You believe you can just pour or put it inside the mortar and continue crushing the unfinished remedy inside.

>>[Ingredients can be added by putting them with the unfinished item and continuing to craft.]

When I try to sieve.

>>push oint with sieve

>>You need another prepared herb to continue crafting some unfinished moisturizing ointment. You believe you can just pour or put it inside the mortar and continue crushing the unfinished remedy inside.

So i have to put the next herb in before I can sieve?
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 04:20 PM CST
>>>> So i have to put the next herb in before I can sieve?

Yes, it is sort of clunky like that sometimes.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 07:07 PM CST
Yea, I had a tough time figuring out alchemy myself. I don't practice it much as a result, but if it wasn't for the crafting social that meets regularly, I would have given up on alchemy altogether. The beginning pages to the alchemy book really needs to be redone to better instruct and clarify.

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/17/2016 11:52 PM CST
I think alchemy's setup suffered from trying to incorporate too much of the old system. I hope that someday in a misty future it can get a makeover to better match the awesomeness of other crafts.

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/18/2016 12:09 AM CST
Could you please add any errors to the following page, so they can be looked at?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Alchemy_craft#Crafting_Bugs

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/18/2016 01:06 PM CST

Done
Re: Alright! So time to hit alchemy! 01/20/2016 08:47 AM CST
Hello,

Just so you know. You are not the only one that has this issue. It sounds like you are almost gotten to the point where you understand the whole system. I have personally helped two other people learn how to do alchemy also. The first person to ask me I knew was a much higher circle and around much longer then I was. I assumed he was kidding and trying to make me feel better. Then while I was socializing another saw me making a salve and asked me also if I could explain the process. I did find the guide that the ranger and his soggy pup posted to be very helpful. Yet there does seem to be a few things that are kind of strange in the creation process. Or I should say how you would expect it to go.

Going to assume that you understand how to make it by now as your last post sounded like you were well on your way. A few little things to note if you are a newer player like me. On the list of healing herbs many are listed as leaf. Example plovik leaf. Well if you forage your own herbs you need to forage for plovik leaves if you forage for the leaf you will not find it. Also it is very minor but confused me for a little bit the list of healing herbs genich stem says external body scar and Ojhenik root say internal body scar. Reading this I assumed they meant the whole body. In the recipes that require these herbs it requests an external chest, abdomen, and back scars herb or internal chest, abdomen, and back scars herb.

If you run into any more issues you may also contact me using the email for my account on play.net but like I said you seem to be well on your way. Sorry about the late post and know it is not just you.