Realm-wide Player-contributed Museum Exhibit Updates/Renovations/Constructions 09/25/2016 02:49 PM CDT
This is inspired from the "A Tale of Two Games" that was posted on the premie forum. While I felt there were several double-dipping and unnecessary point deductions on aspects that were pure matter of flavor, I would like to see more of Elanthian history which player have participated and seen get implemented into the game.

I think all major cities - Crossing, Therenborough, Throne City, Muspar'i, Shard, Hibarnvidhar, Ratha, Aesry could use a renovation for existing museums and construction of new ones if one does not current exist. (if that's simply too many cities to undertake, then the 5 capitals fo reach province: Crossing, Therenborough, Shard, Hib, and Ratha - leave Throne City to its existing mech)

Invite players to:
1) Write exhibit submissions as with fine art/book contests
- Their character can be credited as the archaelogist who excavated the artifact

2) Donate actual artifacts or out-of-print items
- ex. 100 i.g. year old relics (pre-web spider pouches or whatever they were called?)
- alterations that one no longer use but wouldn't mind putting on show for future generations
- the sword that legendary warrior used to slay so and so GMPC during so and so invasion
- an old fest item
- historical, unique event items such as the sigilated ring from the first 100th circle ceremony

Lower the bar for these to bring more exhibit cases and "life" to the museum, but still have a contest on the player's submission for their Exhibit's description so its not just a spam/flood of look-the-same forged weapon etc.
- Their character can be credited as the one who donated the relic

3) Write long-descriptions/pamphlets, or even NPC museum tour dialogue to talk about the history behind that time, the specific war, etc.

4) Plat sink. Just like real life museums or non-profit orgs, accept contributions for the construction, renovations, and general maintenance of the museum. The top contributors may have an exhibit hall, or an entire wing, named after them. Some may have their own bust displayed at the lobby or the courtyard garden, or have their name as part of the entire museum's name.

This can be done in different flavors for each museum. Blind bid (but you don't take your plats back even if you lost the bid), separate funding for specific wings/halls, etc., or just flat contribution ranking for the overall museum construction.

I think this will greatly help players feel tied into and contribute to the history of Elanthia.
Each museum should have designated areas that are friendly for player hangouts, if not only for newbies to learn the environment and lore.
Re: Realm-wide Player-contributed Museum Exhibit Updates/Renovations/Constructions 09/25/2016 02:51 PM CDT
This can also be leveraged ICly as a provincial competition to show the provincial power, pride, and influence.
Re: Realm-wide Player-contributed Museum Exhibit Updates/Renovations/Constructions 09/25/2016 03:31 PM CDT
I like it.
Re: Realm-wide Player-contributed Museum Exhibit Updates/Renovations/Constructions 09/25/2016 04:54 PM CDT

This is a good idea. It's a great way to get certain items out of circulation.

It could also turn into an interesting thief system. Once every 6 RL weeks, a thief of sufficient skill could try to rob the museum. It creates a "void" version of the item, that is forcibly removed from their account on login (RP messaging). While they have it, there's nothing in the display. When it's returned, it shows back up in the display, ready for another thief to steal. And for fun, each robbery attempt only has a dozen or so items on the floor that can be stolen, randomly chosen from all items donated to the museum, which is a rotating stock. While we're at it, to save GM time, there could be a curator board that's player controlled to determine what's of value for the museum and what's not.

Of course, this is all wishful thinking due to the new direction of the game, but it's a fun day dream.
Re: Realm-wide Player-contributed Museum Exhibit Updates/Renovations/Constructions 09/25/2016 06:11 PM CDT
I think reworking the museum stealing system is something good to have but not as likely to be expected. I did have similar thoughts about that though, then having a replica in place and creating a TASK/Assassin bounty on the thief and so on.

I will be perfectly content if we simply have the museums filled with history-history as well as player-contributed contemporary-history items, and more regularly invite player submissions as new events conclude.
Re: Realm-wide Player-contributed Museum Exhibit Updates/Renovations/Constructions 09/26/2016 11:37 AM CDT
I also want to add the thought that if player-owned areas was any indication, depending on how it is executed and how much input the "top contributors" who can have a hall/wing/museum named after them, this will likely be a very effective plat sink as well.

Even if the to plat hoarder is still hoarding the plats, the less currency in circulation will still drive macroeconomic numbers down and it would still impact the in-game economy.
Re: Realm-wide Player-contributed Museum Exhibit Updates/Renovations/Constructions 09/26/2016 11:43 AM CDT
>>Even if the to plat hoarder is still hoarding the plats, the less currency in circulation will still drive macroeconomic numbers down and it would still impact the in-game economy.

It's not so much a plat hoarding issue as a massive plat generating issue by a guy in Boar Clan and his home for wayward HLCs. Money sinks are going to continue to be pointless while that is ignored.

The museum ideas are neat though, it'd be interesting to see what you guys come up with.
Re: Realm-wide Player-contributed Museum Exhibit Updates/Renovations/Constructions 09/26/2016 05:47 PM CDT
I'd love if plat sinks could be developed, and think the notion of immortalizing players in a museum is a good one. Unfortunately, due to the plat trading that occurs around for fest/quest stuff, a lot of wealth isn't due to players dedicating time, but a couple hundred or even thousands of bucks to the game.

I know a number of players who have been in game for about 6mo, but have orders of magnitude more wealth than all my characters combined.