re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 02:08 PM CST
response re: "DR-Javac" statement "Droughtman's is supposed to be a level playing field."

I don't know how it's supposed to be a level playing field so long as it's scriptable. A good 2/3 of the people running it are effectively cheating (well, not cheating in the way DR would call it, but cheating the way I'd call it), aka, they have a script set to auto-wand anyone they come across. Unless you move through the room faster than their lag, you will be autofrozen by them every time you pass them or vice versa. It's the opposite of a "level" playing field.

I'm not sure how one eliminates it, but it's quite obnoxious and despiriting.

Even if Simu has no intention of ever doing anything about typical AK-scripting, I'd like to think that where that if someone pays to play something against other players, that they are actually playing other players. That is, as opposed to playing against other players' scripting engines.
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 02:19 PM CST
>>I'm not sure how one eliminates it, but it's quite obnoxious and despiriting.

If you can't beat em join em?

#mazerunner!
start:
waitforre (mage|farmer|Lalouisa|Gept|Azothy|Voranos|Plix|Narash|Uritel|Shenney|Pretorius|Thires|hunter|warrior|Kja|Shellyrose|Aislynn|Aumaru|Somniumvisum|scoundrel|Daemric|maiden|scholar|gentleman|Ledia|Brennarose|Durah|healer|Exoduss|farmer)
put wave wand at $1
pause
goto start

I used that and every time someone froze me I just added their name to the list, usually this means only adding people who were also using triggers, people that didn't autofreeze me didn't often have enough time to type wave wand.

I won't claim to be one of the best people running the maze, but that little script gave me enough time to win a few rounds after I got the layouts down in my head.
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 02:26 PM CST
The game (Droughtman's) is designed around the fact that you are not going to win it. Pricing for items is kept with that in mind. "Winning" it is something extra and special, but really only pulls an extra incidental and nets 3 extra points.

I think you need to keep in mind that everything is scriptable in a text based game. I believe the source of these complaints is the nature of the PLAYER effecting you, instead of a mechanic or an NPC. This upsets some people. If it upsets you, I recommend not playing Droughtman's maze, it is not the event for you, and that is ok, too! Not every event will appeal to everyone.

For what it's worth, I do understand it is frustrating to deal with getting hit with the wand mechanic, and that is by design. We can evaluate the functionality of it for next time but it is not being changed for this run of Droughtman's.

-GameMaster Signi
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 03:00 PM CST
>The game (Droughtman's) is designed around the fact that you are not going to win it. Pricing for items is kept with that in mind. "Winning" it is something extra and special, but really only pulls an extra incidental and nets 3 extra points.

Signi,

You've made this same reply in several locations. I can't speak to the other posters, but for me, I did the math on prizes and attendance based purely on losing.

My posts about other players actions were to indicate that they are not fun. Also, 8 vs 5 is a 60% increase, if I remember my basic math right. After 2 wins you've got an extra full attendance.

We aren't attacking you, or your event design. We're pointing out that some systems, just like invisibility was, are ripe for abuse. It makes for a very frustrating game experience when you see players rocket-shooting past and wave-stunning everything, pulling all the ropes, etc.
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 03:22 PM CST
>>Signi,

>>You've made this same reply in several locations. I can't speak to the other posters, but for me, I did the math on prizes and attendance based purely on losing.

>>My posts about other players actions were to indicate that they are not fun. Also, 8 vs 5 is a 60% increase, if I remember my basic math right. After 2 wins you've got an extra full attendance.

>>We aren't attacking you, or your event design. We're pointing out that some systems, just like invisibility was, are ripe for abuse. It makes for a very frustrating game experience when you see players rocket-shooting past and wave-stunning everything, pulling all the ropes, etc.

You have indicated them, and I have indicated that we heard you, but we are not changing them at this time. Continuing to complain about them will not get them changed. I don't feel attacked personally at all, but I feel that I have to temper your expectations in regards to what is happening vs what is not happening.

I am genuinely interested in feedback that I can take back to the designers (I am a CE GM, not Dev, I did not design the event). This feedback HAS been heard, and repeating the same thing after I have validated your observations with a response will not make things change for this event. Some enjoy a thing, some do not enjoy a thing.

Thanks!
-GameMaster Signi
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 03:58 PM CST

Signi, I'd also add to this that for an hour and a half last night, the incidental was the main draw. I'm kind of neutral on this since rewarding the better scripter (or the person who buys the script on DR sales) is as old as DR itself, but it will discourage people from attending your event.
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 05:40 PM CST
Allright. I’m not going to keep dragging this out (I know when I'm headed upstream and whether or not I have a paddle), BUT a few points/clarifications.

"I think you need to keep in mind that everything is scriptable in a text based game. I believe the source of these complaints is the nature of the PLAYER effecting you, instead of a mechanic or an NPC. This upsets some people. If it upsets you, I recommend not playing Droughtman's maze, it is not the event for you, and that is ok, too! Not every event will appeal to everyone."

1. Upsets me?

The point is simple: I have to buy a third party front end and then buy scripts to automate the event, just to compete levelly with others in that event, then it isn’t “level”.

2. I'm not talking about frustration with the wand mechanic in general.

If I wasn't absolutely clear, I’m talking about getting auto-frozen whenever I cross paths with those "players" who are being run by computer program; less pernicious are those that are physically running but with a script that auto-freeze all persons/NPCs they encounter and more pernicious are those with the full Genie Droughtmans' Maze script who are eating popcorn while looking to make sure they don't get AFK checked. Getting frozen by one is not a "NATURE" of a character affecting me. It's running into a computer program that responds faster than a human being.

3. I did not say and did not indicate that I expect to win with any regularity. In fact, I’ve one several times out of a whole LOT of times. I’m not complaining about not winning more.

It would be nice if just the once, I wasn't at an automatic disadvantage because I didn’t choose to sit at my keyboard, watching one computer program play another. I’m also far from alone in this, even if others haven’t responded. It was discussed in Discord chat.

I don’t know how you fix it. Maybe in the future, the first day of such an event could be restricted to website-only-login access. That way, perhaps people don’t have time to write up a program to interface with a browser to allow the scripts.

4. For what it's worth, I'm not some new player coming here to whine about how nothing's fair, I want a binky, yadda yadda. I’ve been in out starting ’92, and my main around since late-’95. I understand the overall situation…..

Scripting was always there. It’s overrun things now, but between the customer base and technological advancement, there’s no way Simu could get rid of scripting even if it decided to. I get it!

I just wish that people could somehow be corralled in this event – or some other similar future event – such that it’s truly a player-player thing.
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 07:20 PM CST

>>I'm not sure how one eliminates it, but it's quite obnoxious and despiriting.

If you can't beat em join em?

#mazerunner!
start:
waitforre (mage|farmer|Lalouisa|Gept|Azothy|Voranos|Plix|Narash|Uritel|Shenney|Pretorius|Thires|hunter|warrior|Kja|Shellyrose|Aislynn|Aumaru|Somniumvisum|scoundrel|Daemric|maiden|scholar|gentleman|Ledia|Brennarose|Durah|healer|Exoduss|farmer)
put wave wand at $1
pause
goto start

I used that and every time someone froze me I just added their name to the list, usually this means only adding people who were also using triggers, people that didn't autofreeze me didn't often have enough time to type wave wand.

I won't claim to be one of the best people running the maze, but that little script gave me enough time to win a few rounds after I got the layouts down in my head. >>

I don't know the name of the character you're running for Droughtman's Maze, but I don't think I've ever frozen a player character in the Maze. I do freeze NPCs though.

Shenney
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 07:22 PM CST

In fact, I'd honestly still be using the Wizard Front End if ESP wasn't so horribly broken in it and the FE is so old no one is going to fix that.

Shenney
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 07:36 PM CST

>>I don't know the name of the character you're running for Droughtman's Maze, but I don't think I've ever frozen a player character in the Maze. I do freeze NPCs though.

It's possible I added if I saw you running around a bunch, but most people I added were ones that froze me, because it gave me a nice window to edit my script
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 07:56 PM CST

It's true! I did run Droughtman's a lot over the weekend :)

Shenney
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 08:18 PM CST
I hid a blank post. Sometimes it happens.

We now continue with our regularly schedule thread.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 10:15 PM CST
>I have to buy a third party front end and then buy scripts to automate the event, just to compete levelly with others in that event, then it isn’t “level”.

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I managed to win about 10% of the runs on a PC with a very simple SF script to auto-wand NPCs. I did the rest by hand. Were the people triggers frustrating? Sure, but I would hardly say it's impossible to compete with out buying Genie/scripts. In fact, I took the key from people I'm fairly sure were scripting/triggering for most of my wins.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/23/2018 11:47 PM CST
Some posts were hidden.

Folks, unless there is any new feedback to add to this thread which hasn't been said, this is closed.

-GameMaster Signi
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/25/2018 06:58 AM CST

As a slightly different angle on levelling the field, dropping in prizes like mirror weapons, skeleton key, flying carpets, and so on, at a limited play time left a bit of a sour taste. They should really have been put into the pot with a very low percentage chance drop so that everyone had an equal chance to get lucky with the ticket/run

As a whole event, my proposal would be to shape the key more like the weasels we capture during the festival, and do away with the wand zapping completely. Percentage chance of the key escaping from your grasp as you search for the exit, no skill checks involved, no competition for fastest triggers
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/25/2018 08:06 AM CST
Wow.

Ya. That's irritating.
re: Droughtmans as a "level" playing field 01/25/2018 10:26 AM CST
>>As a whole event, my proposal would be to shape the key more like the weasels we capture during the festival, and do away with the wand zapping completely. Percentage chance of the key escaping from your grasp as you search for the exit, no skill checks involved, no competition for fastest triggers

While I love all the capture the critter games, this would be incredibly obnoxious to do in a maze-like setting.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.