Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 12:38 PM CDT
>>That's because you're an outsider.

You know you sound a bit wacky when you make an appeal to authority like this, right? It's a fictional reality. We're all outsiders. It's not like plopping a character on the island makes you some kind of savant of Rissan politics.

>>Actions have consequences applies just as equally to the people on M'Riss who aren't part of the families.

You keep saying this, but forgetting that you have no authority in M'Riss. I mean, feel free to keep saying it, but Rissian government isn't as egalitarian as you think it is if you believe you can personally start making up local policy.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 12:42 PM CDT
>>Now, I understand there is a difference in that they are 'following the Baron's orders' and those in Qi can't make that exact claim, but that doesn't change the basic premise. You can RP your little heart out for the province of your choosing, but what happens in Theren doesn't necessarily stay in Theren. Your character's choices follow them.

Oh, actions should definitely have consequences. I'm just questioning why some people are claiming those consequences are at the authority/authorization of the Rissian government.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 12:48 PM CDT
Could be a pretty interesting event if the ruling Kresh GMPCs came out to discuss the issues with the people. While I doubt they'd care for bloodshed on the islands which might draw attention, I also doubt they'd appreciate their citizens being treated poorly in Theren either. Or they could have a completely different POV. It'd be interesting to see.

-=Issus=-
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 01:09 PM CDT
Meh, who cares? Looks like it is all outside of hunting areas so RP it out. I think it becomes a problem if people can't train in hunting areas.

I suppose Issus has a great question. So, why do "we" RP in Theren?

1. Old friends.

I would say there is a core group of about 10-15 people that have been together for about 6-10 years and we like one another. No one in that group (in my opinion) does things the wrong way. Decent group of people that like doing RP stuff in a place that has an active GM. I think most people would look at that core group and acknowledge they are pretty good people and "do it right".

2. PvP on Demand.

For me, where else can I find decent PvP basically on demand? Let me tell you, if you want to really PvP wear a white hat. I suspect that I could PvP about all the time if I choose to do so. Why? Well, because ol' Madigan is a fairly well known Therengian and folks enjoy hating on Theren. Also, I think people know I run a decent character and nothing weird is going to happen in the PvP engagement.

I suppose it confuses me why "team bad" would want to change anything. I would think they would want to be able to come to Theren, have some cool PvP and leave it be to rinse and repeat again. However, what I think most people don't understand is 90% of the players that PvP in Theren really aren't into that kind of thing. Once Q pulls the plug on the "List", all of that goes away except for a handful of Theren players. I am fairly confident that smoking Therengians everywhere in the game will make Q pull the plug on that little adventure.

Take a look at the "Player's Choice Awards". I think every fight nominated (except for one) involves "Theren" or some notable Theren character. That is cool stuff and great entertainment.

3. Consistency.

Love it or hate it, Theren is the way it is. Having Q on board for 10 years does that.

4. Listening to people get personally upset about Theren RP.

You know you are doing something right if people are so emotionally involved with a fictional game country that they express that emotion openly. Truly, it is amazing the anger|frustration|personal emotion people put into Theren. And, it is not all "Team Bad" that does it. You have people I have known my entire time in the game get personally upset about "Theren". These are people that are tight friends with Madigan, yet they hate Theren so much (on a personal level) that they are starting or do dislike Madigan. Now...that makes for some very interesting RP.

5. Theren is the ultimate griefer.

If the existence of a fictional country gets people so very worked up, I would hazard a guess that "Theren" is the ultimate griefer in the game.

6. Apparently, not for training.

Absolutely blows there is not high level training in Theren.

Madigan
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 01:25 PM CDT
>>I also doubt they'd appreciate their citizens being treated poorly in Theren either

I'm not entirely certain that they'd want to take ownership of the people who are getting deported. I can't exactly see big bad mafia don going "hey, watch it, that's our Necromancer/Necromancer ally/random sociopath."

Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 01:31 PM CDT
Good post, Madigan. I think part of the perceived issue is that proTheren RP certainly isn't for everyone, which is fine, but when Theren is really the only active RP hub left in the game it kind of forces people to figure out someway to interact with it because there's very little else to interact with. Kind of like Dillos/Supers are the only high end hunting option, Theren is the only real active GM supported every-day RP location. Yeah, people can RP anywhere and everywhere, but there's no denying that few things can get a group of players working together better than a well run GMPC. I imagine it's like herding cats.

I'd love to see some Qi nobility or whatever weigh in on it, and truth be told I'd love to see an interprovincial war come of it but that's just not going to happen.

Some day Issus will convince Madigan to leave Therengia. Some day.

-=Issus=-
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 01:43 PM CDT
<<Good post, Madigan. I think part of the perceived issue is that proTheren RP certainly isn't for everyone, which is fine, but when Theren is really the only active RP hub left in the game it kind of forces people to figure out someway to interact with it because there's very little else to interact with.

Ohh, I get that 100% and let me tell you that if I were playing I would head to Theren one way or the other (good guy or bad guy). Which, is really an affirmation of the good job Q is doing in my mind. There are tons of people that desire GM help for RP in their provinces and I hope at some point that can happen for everyone.

You know, I hope this spurs some RP in Qi and allows a good GM to start up some stuff. Frankly, a rift between Qi and Theren makes more sense that the luke-warm rift between Ilithi and Theren.

For me, as long as it doesn't impact a playability thing on my end (i.e. I just can't train in dillos) then really I don't care.

Madigan
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 01:51 PM CDT
I would love to see viable Qi RP pop up. However, without boats or interisland travel, it's somewhat hamstrung from the start. Set up inter-island portals available only to citizens so an actual community could form? I'd be down for that in a second. Issus was an Aesry citizen for years before going to Shard, he just doesn't like being where there's no one to torment.

-=Issus=-
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 01:57 PM CDT
>>Mer'kresh citizens being treated poorly in Theren.

Are people flat out being treated poorly for no cause, or are people attacking citizens/breaking laws/performing sorcery/necromancy in Theren and being kicked out because of it?

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 02:05 PM CDT
<<Are people flat out being treated poorly for no cause, or are people attacking citizens/breaking laws/performing sorcery/necromancy in Theren and being kicked out because of it?

Usually, you will get some smaller bad guys drop by and start a conflict. Then, the big boys from both sides make their way from Qi. Q let's it go on for a good while. The last big fight lasted about 2 hours and then he gweth's for the bad guys to get out of dodge. Most of them do, some of them stick around and eventually they are deported if they don't clear out of dodge.

Ohh, I am sure there are instances of Q pulling the trigger too fast, there are instances of some idiot on both sides doing a gank or something else stupid. Overall...it is pretty fun IMO. As you might suspect, typically the "white hats" are outgunned but have the numbers. And, about 80% of the people that engage in the conflict are good people (return weapons, let people get back on their feet...and so forth). About 20% take it too far and things get personal, which makes everyone look bad.

Madigan
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 02:45 PM CDT

The points about the nature of the Risssn government have already been made for me so I will not revisit them.

The facts are and have been stated more than once are as follows. The islanders coming to Therengia are there to break the law. No one is picking on poor innocents who have done nothing to merit it. So why would the Rissan government care how necromancers and criminals are treated there? Therengians who go to the islands to hunt on the other hand, are there as law abiding visitors helping to reduce the vicious critter population and contribute to the economy with coin exchange and sales of pelts and gems. So why would the Rissan government allow them to be harrassed there?

The two governments have not been at odds before and really there is nothing going on that would cause it now. Any small issues like deporting criminals to Poke beach could be resolved diplomatically with out armies marching tomorrow.

And again please remember mutual respect in future posts on this topic.

GM Quarel Veryan - Events Team/P-2 Events.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 03:03 PM CDT
<< The two governments have not been at odds before and really there is nothing going on that would cause it now. Any small issues like deporting criminals to Poke beach could be resolved diplomatically with out armies marching tomorrow

And a Therengian agent spying on people and assassinating them? What's that, Quarel? Water under the bridge?

Remember, the reputation isn't upheld simply for the benefit of provincial governments.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 03:03 PM CDT
>> Ohh, I am sure there are instances of Q pulling the trigger too fast

Seem to be a lot of those instances. It's bothering I and my crew to the point that we're just gonna come in guns blazing and save the talk for the 30 second window between the last body falling and the ninja pirate bounty hunters coming to ship us away. Not to mention that it is completely ineffective at what it sets out to do(set a beam on Ratha, wait for the schooner to arrive, gate, run back up). All it really does is frustrates the player, and let's face it: few people come to Theren from Qi looking to fight that don't have quick transportation to-and-fro. Its almost a pre-requisite with the absurd amount of deportations that take place. I've always expected a certain level of respect to go along with those kind of affairs and it's very disrespectful to my PC and cohorts to not get that.

Now, I'm not saying that GM interventions are always un-necessary. The Latathi-rage at the bin was a good example(considering defender vs attacker strength) of a situation where things went from 0 to 180 in the blink of an eye and could've used some mediation. But when the core crux issue is just talking on the gweth, I don't see why deportation should (almost) ever be an option.

In my opinion, hlc GMNPCs are always the better option. I'd rather get curb-stomped by one and be able to say my piece/make some rp/develop my character, than be deported and develop workaround strategies like 'shoot first, ask questions later' to curb my frustrations with lopsided mechanics. Not just that, but it gives the GMs a chance to play the game(assuming they play semi-fairly) they love to play and not be side-lined by god-mode.

Just my 2 cents.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 03:23 PM CDT
<<I'd love to see some Qi nobility or whatever weigh in on it, and truth be told I'd love to see an interprovincial war come of it but that's just not going to happen>>

The Rissan Council wouldn't bother to weigh in on it beyond telling the people that think they're making the rules in their stead to knock it off. Honestly, regardless of what's been said, Riss is not a democracy. Democratic smugglers? Really? Any pseudo-vote put in place to elect council is a hanging-chad farce for the people to feel like they've had their say.

And far too often I'm seeing players confuse 'smuggler' with complete lawlessness for Riss. They're not some clandestine independent state that refuses to play nice with anyone else. It's our way or the waterway! It just doesn't work that way.

As far as Zoluren/Riss relations being peaceful... holding a hostage always helps the cause there.

GM Jaedren
P1-P5 Events Guy
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 03:28 PM CDT
And lo, the true price of Therengian role-play is brought bare.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 03:32 PM CDT
<<Seem to be a lot of those instances. It's bothering I and my crew to the point that we're just gonna come in guns blazing and save the talk for the 30 second window between the last body falling and the ninja pirate bounty hunters coming to ship us away.

IDK Gort, our last conflict lasted 2 hours before you were deported. You were warned twice on the gweth by Q (well, his GMPC) before it happened. That seems pretty reasonable at least to me. I thought everyone had a great time.

Now, points I agree on:

1. I would like to see more GMPC's getting involved in the fight. That would be cool.

2. A bit more discretion on when the deport trigger is pulled. If the fight is even, then let it go longer. If it is Latathi blowing up noobs at the bin...yeah, not so much. The challenge is that Q can't win in this situation. No matter when he pushes the deport button, someone will complain.

Madigan
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 03:36 PM CDT
When a sizable portion of Riss's inhabitants are in agreement that Theren is stepping over the line, what will the goverment do to quell its people? Are they really going to side with the minority and go against their own citizens? That doesn't sound very pirate-esque to me. Its almost completely lawless anyways, and to top that, a good portion of its inhabitants are also Theren exiles. lol @ Riss voting empire over anarchy. That'll be the day.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 03:39 PM CDT
<<No matter when he pushes the deport button, someone will complain.>>

To be fair, history has shown us that no matter what the provincial reaction, someone will complain. GMNPC involved? He didn't earn those ranks, it's not fair, it's just beefed up GMs getting their jollies running God Mode on us. No GMNPC, and deport instead? Yep, that's the GMs, just using the arrest button again. No reaction from the province? There's no RP around here! It's dead! We have to go to Therengia to get any sort of recognition/reaction!

GM Jaedren
P1-P5 Events Guy
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 03:40 PM CDT
<<Are they really going to side with the minority and go against their own citizens?>>

If it's in their best interests? Absolutely.

GM Jaedren
P1-P5 Events Guy
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 04:02 PM CDT
>> IDK Gort, our last conflict lasted 2 hours before you were deported. You were warned twice on the gweth by Q (well, his GMPC) before it happened. That seems pretty reasonable at least to me. I thought everyone had a great time.

You are mistaken here. I was deported within the first half hour of our conflict(shortly after our encounter at the . Akriana was deported RIGHT after it started and missed almost everything.

[Our arrival]
[22:20] * Jackro was just struck down!
[22:27] * Zynara was just struck down!
[We arrive]
[22:30] * Akriana was just struck down!
[22:31] * Gorteous was just struck down!(our first go)
[22:33] * Snales was just struck down!
[22:34] * Nefarious was just struck down!
[22:35] * Evro was just struck down!
[Akriana gets deported here. She doesn't return]
[22:35] * Firekast was just struck down!
[22:36] * Jackro was just struck down!
[22:47] * Malign was just struck down!
[22:48] * Tygor was just struck down!
[22:51] * Firegard was just struck down!
[22:51] * Madigan was just struck down!(our second go)
[22:52] * Sebestyen was just struck down!
[22:53] * Korsik was just struck down!
[22:53] * Tormosk was just struck down!
[22:53] * Andorell was just struck down!
[I get deported here right after slaying Andorell]
[22:54] * Mordibar was just struck down!
[22:57] * Tygor was just struck down!
[23:14] * Lawtun was just struck down!
[23:22] * Sendithu was just struck down!
[23:22] * Nefarious was just struck down!
[23:24] * Zerreck was just struck down!
[23:31] * Firekast was just struck down!
[23:33] * Jondong was just struck down!
[23:37] * Loggrim was just struck down!
[I finally get back from being deported.]
[23:39] * Gorteous was just struck down!
[23:41] * Nefarious was just struck down!
[Where ya'll jumped us at the ropes]

As you can see, I got 20 minutes in before I was deported and Akriana about 5-10. Took me 40 minutes to get back and I had a straight gate from Poke to Xing set up. Akriana didn't return. Good setup, ya? 20 minutes of conflict and 40 minutes of solitude waiting on a boat. Considering how vastly outnumbered we were(and how intelligently Therenginians were fighting, a little impressed ^-^), I don't think situation warranted any GM interaction aside from some hot shot GMNPC coming along and helping their efforts. Also, whats up with them deporting a 45th croc-level Ranger to Poke?

Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 04:20 PM CDT
>>And a Therengian agent spying on people and assassinating them? What's that, Quarel? Water under the bridge?

If you moved that goalpost any faster, I'd have to ask a Board Monitor to penalize you for giving me whiplash.

>>That doesn't sound very pirate-esque to me.

I personally wouldn't equate Rissan pirates with "capital B Bad-guy pirates." Sure, you can look at the place as DR's version of the mob, but that doesn't mean they're cool with Necromancers trying to cause chaos in other provinces. Hell, if other provinces shut down due to those kinds of attacks, either because they enter a military lockdown or Traders just give up with commerce there, I'm not very sure it will be fiscally awesome for the people who like skimming off the top and/or obtaining the goods that fell off the back of the caravan.

Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 04:42 PM CDT

>>In my opinion, hlc GMNPCs are always the better option. I'd rather get curb-stomped by one and be able to say my piece/make some rp/develop my character, than be deported and develop workaround strategies like 'shoot ?>>first, ask questions later' to curb my frustrations with lopsided mechanics. Not just that, but it gives the GMs a chance to play the game(assuming they play semi-fairly) they love to play and not be side-lined by god-?>>mode.

Why should he make a special "event" just for you, when you get bored on the islands? Log in his GMNPCs just to battle the uprising? That doesn't even remotely sound right...

There have been times I have been deported justly - AND - unjustly. Showing up and just talking to people outside of Rossman's in a non-justice area and getting the purge button pushed on me... So, I got healed and came back just to get deported... and I didn't even kill anyone - I was just talking.

There have been a few times he's logged in GMNPCs that were fun. One was Nicoly - who I retired...

His favorite seems to be Coenrad. But, his abuse of mechanics is crazy...if someone can lose snipe over shooting an open person and not telling them who did it...but, Coenrad can snipe everyone, everyday - just because they're not suppose to be there - without saying who did it... He might talk from hiding after, but when you're dead all you hear is a voice - and even when you're alive, all you hear is a voice... That's not fair in the least bit.

But, you have to roll with the punches.

You guys can't expect him to let you run up there and murder the (mostly) low-level Theren Guard, without some kind of issue.I know some of you were only aiming at the big guns...but, other weren't. In my experience with raiding with the Arkarms, he only deported the HLCs, he left the ones that were the same size(ish) as the guard stay and play. He's just trying to keep it fair. Theren only has a few people capable of defending against an invasion that you guys planned. You also have to consider that you were disrupting a planned event, intentionally - just to cause mayhem. That's bad-form, in general.

Just my THREE cents.

~ Tsaru
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 05:09 PM CDT
Ahh, I thought you got the boot a bit later Gort. Thanks for the log. Yeah, that was pretty quick and didn't look all that good after you winning a round frankly.

<<[Where ya'll jumped us at the ropes]

Hah! I was a bit surprised Nef followed right after you. You got me in Crossing after however. Well played.

Tsaru: Yeah, I think Q tries to keep it fair. None of us are perfect, but I'll take an active GM that tried hard to playing in an area with no GM stuff.

P.S. You are the most frustrating (in a good way) player to fight. I can't seem to get you ever. +1

Madigan
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 05:09 PM CDT
They took the first shot(for our group). Madigan's initial reaction was to advance me and start things off. It was coincidence that the Arkarms and Dongfu showed up when we did. Myself Nefarious and Akriana had been planning it since the Thursday before. There was no talking, like "hey what are you guys doing here?" It was immediate shoot-to-kill. When Madigan advanced me, the whole room started firing at me. It wasn't like we intended on catching them with their pants down. They had almost every single HLC that fights under the Theren flag there. Our group was outnumbered more than 6 to 1. There is no claiming it wasn't more than fair for them. Madigan already proved that hes a serious contender with Gort/Nef. There was no reason for me or Akriana to be deported.

The GM in charge of Theren must have some serious doubts about the abilities of its defenders if his immediate reaction in a situation so horribly lopsided in their favor is to slam the deport button.

Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 06:19 PM CDT

If you really have something constructive to add please do. But if the bashing continues the thread will be closed. I could sit here and list out the actual number of times I hit the so called deport button ( less than you think) but Jaedren is correct there will be players who don't or won't believe me. As for bringing in GMPCs I don't GMPC on demand, for anyone. And when I do bring them in not every occasion should be oh look GMPC with a title kill it. That is very thin RP IMO.

There is no way to please every one all the time it's not possible. But if team bad could show restraint and know when enough is enough , I could keep my finger off the button and maybe every one involved could have a better time.

GM Quarel Veryan Events Team /P-2 Events.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 06:35 PM CDT
>There is no way to please every one all the time it's not possible. But if team bad could show restraint and know when enough is enough , I could keep my finger off the button and maybe every one involved could have a better time.

Going to have to disagree with you.
All Akriana did was made a comment about how she thought the guards should fear them and someone jumped in stating "Who cares what you think?" in which i responded "Likewise" and was immediately deported. TERRIBLE, sir, TERRIBLE.

I have the log of that if you'd like to see it. :)

~Akriana
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 06:40 PM CDT
I think it'd be awesome to see a counter to the Team Goodguy Theren crew. Not necessarily something nefarious, but more something for those who do play sociopaths (or generally disagreeable) types. If not an official government, then an unofficial organization. Not for any kind of direct conflict with Theren, though that wouldn't be out of the question, but more for an organized source of roleplay.

For instance, the Kresh authorities decide to up their shady dealings. After strictly informing Captain Plunderpants that they will disavow any knowledge of his actions, they send him on his way to recruit. He recruits the sort that Theren doesn't. No bowing and scraping, no interference from the proper types, just a might makes right group of pirates/plunderers sent to disrupt things as the Kresh families want. Theren gets invaded by Orcs and such a lot. Well, instead you could let the raiders attack Riverhaven. Populate it with mobs called "A riverhaven citizen" as "invasion" creatures and let the raiders run wild. Killing a citizen causes SO.

Basically, Theren has their rallying point (Quaral run events, RP, history, etc.) and I'd love to see a counter to that emerge that wasn't another court system. I like the idea of basing it in the islands cause I figure the history there supports it well.

-=Issus=-
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 06:49 PM CDT

Qs Statement About TG Not Being Overstepping -

Not true at all.

I had a noob WM that was fighting Arkanon. I ran to the bin for assistance. I asked for help and Theren Guard killed me and drug me off to some random spot where no one could find me. Ok - cool. I depart, go back to the bin start collecting rocks and it happened a second time.

I have no problem with TG doing TG stuff and protecting Theren. Its a good outlet for some RP. What I do have a problem with is the notion of: "I can grief hardcore in Theren because Qs got my back. But, I don't want. Repeat: don't want someone doing the same thing to me when I leave the area."

That's so one sided its unbelievable.

Mob rule does crazy things to people. There have been studies on this. If someone of authority gives a group of people blank check to write whatever amount they want it will soil the situation and RP turns into bullying.

I'm the one who killed Seb. I am Jondong. Did I blast him while he was hunting? No. Did I come out and blast him without discussing the reason for my aggression? Nope I sure didn't. My title is Tyrant of M'riss. So I'm being a Tyrant. Does a Tyrant care what some sort of puppet government thinks? Not at all. Am I going to continue RPing with TG if I find them in Kresh collecting rocks or doing whatever outside N.Baricade or S.Baricade? Better believe it.

Am I going to attack closed people or people who I know are prone to mash the report button? Not likely.

Will I try and RP some PVP and put some bait out hoping to catch a Marlin? I got my fishing pole ready.

Bring it Theren Guard. We on M'riss have our own rag tag team of hoodlums. You can come and hunt, but we aren't going to make your stay a pleasant one.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 07:12 PM CDT
I'm not usually too active on these sorts of conversations, but I thought I'd put in my own unique view. Personally, I don't like the situation in Theren.

I am not a PvP person. I don't have an issue with people who are, and I try to avoid conflicts ICly, not just hiding behind Closed and taunting that you can't kill me. I haven't reported over a PvP situation in 15 years.

However, in Theren, I find that this is an awkward situation. There is a list of people who know that they can stir up trouble just by being there, and a group of the RPers who are under the imperative to get rid of them. I would think thrice about holding any event in Therengia because there is no way to just keep the situation calm. If someone troublesome decides to show up, they will get their trouble, and if I don't want to deal with it and want it to go elsewhere, I'm persona non grata myself. But okay, I'll avoid Therengia for any greater involvement. I have that choice.

But let's not turn the whole game into this. I am glad that it is only this one province this needs to be considered in. On an individual basis, sure, do what you want, RP out the 'consequences' when the fervent Therengians come across the troublemakers on other turf, as long as everyone is following the rules, consent and profiles. But this is quite different from another location with a political culture of bans. And the GMs -have- seemed to design the political culture on the islands to be 'You stay out of my stuff, and I'll stay out of yours.'

And I don't think that it is a matter of Therengians getting what they deserve by getting trouble outside of Therengia. Those troublemakes who show up in Theren are looking for trouble. That's why they get banned. They want trouble and they get trouble. They get drama. Great, I'm glad they're happy. But because that was want they wanted, they now want to inflict that on others? Yes, I realise it's more trouble, and they like more trouble, but the GMs have to balance things to everyone's different tastes. Those who want to play troublemakers who go in and bother the good guys have a GM supported climate where they can do that (as long as they don't take it too far). And those who want to play those who are devoted to their homeland and defend it have someone to defend it against, and a place for this type of RP. This doesn't mean they also want the going to troublemake type of RP themselves, and if they aren't troublemaking, that's all well and good. I don't see where there's some unfair inequity against people doing things and not getting their just desserts.

I think it may also be worth noting that I don't think any Rissans are invading Therengia because they are Rissans. And I doubt everyone invading Theren is a Rissan (except in that most of them probably hunt there as high level characters don't have a lot of other options). They start problems in Theren, because they get reactions in Theren.

But I'm really just an outsider to both locations who likes the idea of somewhere where I don't have to deal with the drama, even if it is The Isle of the Damned (Ok, so I'm a S'kra, not going there.). I like neutral and self-serving as a political concept.

Tsarenzi
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 07:30 PM CDT
No one has a blank check from me to do just as they please. I have gone out of my way to remind those involved to be within policy and make sure of Profile settings or willingness to be involved before acting. Also this blanket use of TG for every action taken in Therengia is erroneous. The TG is one small portion of the brigades there and for all you know Jondong it could have even been a non-brigade member who attacked your WM. Either way I do NOT condone random pointless killing. I am certain there is probably another side to your story yes?

As for the incident everyone seems to be using as an excuse to attack Therengians on the islands, Ogdao was no innocent picking dasies and oh the chamberlain sent someone to murder him. He attacked the heir presumptive to the throne and the chamberlain who is no paladin wanted a message sent. This was not an attack on the citizens or government of the islands so it was hardly an act of war no matter how badly you want it to be. And I think Ogdaro can take care of himself and fight his own fights just fine and then some.

Again there is more than one side to every story and we would all do well to remember that.

GM Quarel Veryan Events Team/P-2 Events
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 07:37 PM CDT
<<As for the incident everyone seems to be using as an excuse to attack Therengians on the islands, Ogdao was no innocent picking dasies and oh the chamberlain sent someone to murder him. He attacked the heir presumptive to the throne and the chamberlain who is no paladin wanted a message sent. This was not an attack on the citizens or government of the islands so it was hardly an act of war no matter how badly you want it to be. And I think Ogdaro can take. Are of himself and fight his own fights just fine and then some.

Except for the part where it is. Coenrad is a known agent of Therengia. He murdered someone on Rissan soil.

Did Gyfford pay a blood price? Isleif? Coenrad? No.

Realistically, M'Riss should be extremely unhappy with Gyfford. Because there is no GM with any investment in Rissan RP we have a situation where Therengia gets away with it.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 07:55 PM CDT

>> Did Gyfford pay a blood price? Isleif? Coenrad? No.

Speaking of Gyfford, why is he on the "That's not a good idea" status, when I tried to shoot him?

>> Again there is more than one side to every story and we would all do well to remember that.

You say there's two sides to every story...what was the story about having me purged - then immediately having me deported when I returned? I hadn't killed anyone that day. I'm not complaining, but interested in your reasoning.

Also, when you deport your criminals/enemies of the state ... You're shipping them to Qi. Are their government's OK with Therengia sending all your unwanteds/murderers out there? I can't imagine they would be the least bit pleased.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 08:01 PM CDT
<<Realistically, M'Riss should be extremely unhappy with Gyfford. Because there is no GM with any investment in Rissan RP we have a situation where Therengia gets away with it.>>

Realistically, (assuming we're talking about the Ogdaro incident), Ogdaro would have been chum before anyone from Therengia knew to look for him on M'Riss. If you think ANY of the ruling bodies are going to shelter someone that outright assassinates another ruler... But we all know that we can't realistically make Ogdaro disappear. The fact that Therengia popped him on 'Rissan soil' could very well be a point of contention, but again, we're dealing with a Council that wouldn't outwardly say so. More likely would be back-door Trade sanctions or a few Therengian merchant vessels disappearing/being emptied of their cargo (all while blaming it on the Red Sash).

Ultimately, I don't give two pickled sausages the inter-personal wars you guys are waging. If it's enjoyable to both sides, swell. ALL of my comments are made with the intention of correcting or enlightening in regards to the history and lore.

GM Jaedren
P1-P5 Events Guy
(Also: Logical In-Game Lore Guy)
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 08:16 PM CDT
<<The fact that Therengia popped him on 'Rissan soil' could very well be a point of contention, but again, we're dealing with a Council that wouldn't outwardly say so. More likely would be back-door Trade sanctions or a few Therengian merchant vessels disappearing/being emptied of their cargo (all while blaming it on the Red Sash).

So do it. Make it happen. Let players hear about it having happened or even participate.

Don't sit back and "correct" us. Get involved.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 08:31 PM CDT
>>Did Gyfford pay a blood price? Isleif? Coenrad? No.

I'm not entirely certain that's a thing as opposed to something you're pulling out of the sky in order to validate your point.

>>Realistically, M'Riss should be extremely unhappy with Gyfford. Because there is no GM with any investment in Rissan RP we have a situation where Therengia gets away with it.

I don't know why you keep making these conclusions based on premises based on your own interpretation of how things should be politically.

Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 09:49 PM CDT
>I think it becomes a problem if people can't train in hunting areas.

So, basically, it becomes a problem if Therengians are treated how they treat others.

No dust ups between the provinces before this? Never any issues about pirates or anything? Really? That whole fleet of "pirates" that aren't pirates and what not just doesn't happen anymore/are wiped clean?

One can only hope that more characters come to the realization that push back is needed to stop the spread of Therengianism.

I am --- Navak
Re: An interesting turn of events ::NUDGE:: 06/11/2012 10:39 PM CDT

This discussion seems to be a confusion of the GMs aren't doing anything/the GMs are doing too much, and some odd blend of IC and OOC.

If this is about the GMs, take that to Feedback, it's the only appropriate place for that discussion.

If this discussion is about Qi events, then lets stick to Qi events. If it's a backwards way of discussion Theren events, take it to the Theren folder, just remember that the whole "Theren Sux" tangent's over.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 10:52 PM CDT

This is my last post to this thread. Sometimes when we have an area only GMPCs can go in/to there is a setting we use that has to be removed and I forgot to take it off the Baron that particular time in question. An honest mistake , take it or leave it.

GM Quarel Veryan.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 11:23 PM CDT
<<I think it'd be awesome to see a counter to the Team Goodguy Theren crew. Not necessarily something nefarious, but more something for those who do play sociopaths (or generally disagreeable) types. If not an official government, then an unofficial organization. Not for any kind of direct conflict with Theren, though that wouldn't be out of the question, but more for an organized source of roleplay.>>

This is very much what we have been trying to build in Ilithi over the past year and a half or so, and I hope people continue to look to it as least a potential RP hook into a comparatively less overt way of RPing opposition to Theren with something deeper than "Hi, we're here to kill you." Speaking for Traim, the balance is that the more nefarious connections are generally made quietly and without fanfare, as they must be given the official political context. But they are there, and he is always open to ideas.

The underlying point several people have made ("Therengians must account for their actions even when they leave Theren") is well-taken, but it's also been correctly pointed out (in my opinion) that no standing political power (Rissan or otherwise) is going to side with a group of random renegades/necromancers over Theren. Not openly. I think it's completely within bounds for Jondong or whoever to respond to Therengians as they do outside of Theren, but it's something else entirely to speak for a province in the process. I'm probably not the best one to talk right there, but for all the back and forth between Traim and the Baron etc, I've known OOC and IC that the Tower could pop in at any time and fry Traim for going too far. Same thing holds for M'riss though; you don't want the Rissan council types popping out to jail you or exile you because you go too far over the top speaking for them too. Just have to play it a bit carefully.

This thread also highlights the current problem with the high level hunting exile. Because of the lack of provincial options, we're running into a conflict between what is really an OOC Riss/Kresh neutrality truce for the sake of playability and good RP (has to be consequences for your actions from other characters). Here's hoping that remedy comes through soon though.

Another point worth making is that all of the RP we're talking about only occurs because of the harsh and consistent stance that Theren has taken over time. On the balance, I think that's acted as a great catalyst for all sorts of fun drama and fighting and is a compliment to the job Quarel has done and continues to do. But I also wonder whether Theren's level of antagonism is itself entirely realistic sometimes. If you step back for a moment and imagine that Zoluren, Ilithi, and M'riss all had active GMPCs and governments in the same way Theren does, it is hard to imagine that events would unfold quite as they have. Given Coenrad violating borders in Ilithi and M'riss, Theren employing a caustic Court Advisor with very little concern for offending those outside Theren, alliance and marriage with the Outcasts (an invading army that massacred people everywhere), ally Koromas assassinating people in Crossing, and Viggu's unchecked traipses outside Theren into other provinces (which, being banned from Theren, I love!), it is difficult to believe that the Baron would not have some political pressure to step more softly at this point.

Imagine every province has a Gyfford. Then imagine how every province's Gyfford would respond to the above events/situations. Maybe they'd do nothing and we'd have status quo, but given the powerful personalities and egos involved at that level of politics/nobility, I'm inclined to think otherwise.

In any case, I think we get a lot of fun out of it and hopefully people roll with things without going all Vanmar.
Re: An interesting turn of events 06/11/2012 11:38 PM CDT
Stepping in here to say that we have multiple issues here, many of which seem to stem from the fact that certain folks like to justify varying degrees of disruptive behaviour behind the guise of "roleplaying". If you want to roleplay actions, you'll get roleplayed reactions. If your reactions to those reactions result in behaviour that becomes disruptive, things will escalate to levels which won't be fun for anyone involved.

Solomon