creature level identification tool 12/30/2019 08:01 AM CST
So this is something that would be neat to have from a 24/7 shop or ability, maybe an enchantment you can put on head or eye-worn items that would let you PEER at a critter to see its "levels". But since the MT events are always looking for fresh new loots...:P

I was wandering around Mer'Kresh Celpeze...like you do...and I was app-ing the different ones, and kept getting unexpected results so would have to check them again to confirm what I was expecting to find. And it made me want, along with other folks that have made similar requests before, a way to see the "baseline" level and/or skill of a creature that wasn't necessarily in comparison to my own skills.

It got me thinking about how an actual system might work, and stay IC with the information presented, and I thought maybe a readout could make use of the EXP RP system tiers and wording. For an example, using the Field Goblin and presuming that the MT event item came on a pair of glasses:

You walk into a room, and PEER GOBLIN or PEER at GOBLIN with GLASSES (ie. whatever syntax gets assigned for use), and the response back you get would be something like:
You determine the Goblin's offensive abilities are in the Trained Novice range.
You determine the Goblin's defensive abilities are in the Full Novice range.

I definitely still think APPRAISE, RECALL & DESCRIBE have their own useful info (although I wouldn't be opposed to the above idea being unlocked with crystals to open up more comprehensive information that overlaps with those), so I'm not really asking for something that duplicates that information. Rather, it'd be nice to have an absolute, rather than relative, assessment of a creature-opponent.

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: creature level identification tool 12/31/2019 04:16 PM CST
For something as critical as critter level (as it relates to training), the GMs should just actually report all levels to the wiki as has been done in the past for a few critters. Sure, I get it; critter level != circle, but at least it lets you put them all on a scale. Everyone plays DR for different reasons, and some of us (sometimes) play to optimize learning, see the numbers, and watch the other numbers go up.

Show me the numbers! :D

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: creature level identification tool 12/31/2019 05:06 PM CST
>For something as critical as critter level (as it relates to training), the GMs should just actually report all levels to the wiki as has been done in the past for a few critters. Sure, I get it; critter level != circle, but at least it lets you put them all on a scale. Everyone plays DR for different reasons, and some of us (sometimes) play to optimize learning, see the numbers, and watch the other numbers go up.

100% this. Even just a relative ranking in OF/DF and perception would do wonders. It's a huge advantage of MMORPGs that show mob levels.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: creature level identification tool 01/01/2020 02:04 PM CST

Can someone clarify how this would be more useful than the information presented in APP CAREFUL? Note that because you know your own ranks, a relative comparison to the critter's offenses/defenses/stats is approximately as good as being told the critters information directly.

>I was app-ing the different ones, and kept getting unexpected results so would have to check them again to confirm what I was expecting to find.

All creatures spawn with some variation.
Re: creature level identification tool 01/01/2020 02:32 PM CST
>Can someone clarify how this would be more useful than the information presented in APP CAREFUL? Note that because you know your own ranks, a relative comparison to the critter's offenses/defenses/stats is approximately as good as being told the critters information directly.

+

>All creatures spawn with some variation.

=

picard.jpg

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: creature level identification tool 01/01/2020 04:03 PM CST
>Can someone clarify how this would be more useful than the information presented in APP CAREFUL?

Me personally, I don't know what the words mean. I want numbers. I see "mythical being" and "somewhat poorly" and don't know what that means, but this critter trains all decently for me. I can't figure out how this creature compares to other creatures because I can't `compare critter1 to critter2`. I'd want to place this critter on a ladder relative to all other critters "on average", not just this single instance of a critter. It would also let me do some OOC research on hunting alternatives without traveling all over. I could also get a sense of "if a level 3 critter starts to slow down, I can go move on to a 4 easily, or really jump up to a 5".

Maybe what I really am asking for is APP to give numbers. I don't know what "heavy slice" means anymore than I know what "defiantly less skilled" means because I haven't memorized all the phrases.

You are certain that the Xala'shar archimage is healthy.
You are certain that it is not quite as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is not quite as agile as you are.
You are certain that it is about as disciplined as you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is rather less conditioned than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a lumium round sipar and a demonbone armguard made of thin strips of bone, you are certain that the Xala'shar archimage is definitely less skilled.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with your fists, you are certain that the Xala'shar archimage is a mythical being of immense power and ability.
If you brawled with the enemy, you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train acceptably.
If you targeted and cast a spell at the enemy, you are certain that it would train acceptably.
If you attempted to debilitate the enemy, you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.
The archimage appears immune to cold, all poisons and electricity.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: creature level identification tool 01/01/2020 04:29 PM CST
>>Maybe what I really am asking for is APP to give numbers.

I'll echo this desire. I realize a lot of people use genie/lich to achieve this already, but I'd love for unambiguous numbers to be native to all appraisals without the need for third party FEs or scripting engines.

I feel the same way about the current appraisal readouts as I do 'EXP RP'. Could I use it to determine my skill levels? Yes, but it's full of vague language that's slow to parse.
Re: creature level identification tool 01/01/2020 08:53 PM CST
Long time ago things did have a lot more numbers associated with them, so I get the request. I mean even apping weapons I have to have elanthipedia open to compare what the RP appraisal terms actually mean usually just because I don't have them memorized (and I too would love for the game to have an option to show in parenthesis the numbers on item appraisals lol).

For me it is more frustrating just trying to look up critters to hunt. It would be nice if elanthipedia was just fleshed out more because then you would have a better idea of what you were getting into to begin with.
Re: creature level identification tool 01/02/2020 03:53 AM CST
>Can someone clarify how this would be more useful than the information presented in APP CAREFUL?

In addition to the comments others have already made with great points, personally I'd like to have the means to just quickly see the difference between say https://elanthipedia.play.net/Spiny_bloodfish_(1) and https://elanthipedia.play.net/Spiny_bloodfish_(2) without having to do the appraisal on one and paste it into notepad, go find the other, do that appraisal and tab around comparing the 2 stat groups. I also fall into the "I don't remember all the terms" group of people, so for me, it would just be easier to peer at the 1st one, see it's a level 55, peer at the 2nd and see it is's a level 60. I would still need to figure out which of those levels would train correctly for me, but I'd know at a glance which was the easier and which was the harder of the pair.

Again, I would stress I don't want to see something replace APPRAISE, because that information is super useful. DR has a complex combat system with all the differing stats on critters vs all the stats + armor + weapons + magic on players, so seeing those relative specifics IS a good thing.

But to make the analogy, while a lot of time I want a non-fat chai latte with a shot, sometimes I just want a cup of coffee.

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: creature level identification tool 01/10/2020 12:06 PM CST
IMO, it might be useful to have critter difficulty appraisals be two part:

The first half showing a static value of difficulty, the second half showing a dynamic value of how that relates to your own skills.

Think of it similar to how crafting works. When we read the crafting book, we see that X is a "difficult" pattern, but when we study the page we get a message about fully understanding it, barely understanding it, mostly understanding it, etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: creature level identification tool 05/26/2020 11:45 AM CDT
Quickly assessing its attributes, you determine this zombie mauler is a level 58 on the official Ranger's scale.

You stare in awe of the Gorbesh battle sphere, which ranks a level 9001 on the official Ranger's scale.