Prev_page Previous 1
Arrow Volleys 01/08/2015 11:01 PM CST
I'm sorry this is going to come off so negative but I've had it.

I'm done fighting Elpalzi. Period. I'm tired of randomly dying to arrow volleys. I'm just done.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 09:39 AM CST

I can see why its annoying, at first it takes you back to the old days of sudden crit death on a critter youre under hunting for months.

BUT if you immerse yourself in the moment. It's a battle, and random arrows are flying all over.

You suddenly die to a volley, and the novice that just walked into the room is completely unscathed.

Dragging you to triage.

I think it does its best to try and recreate the sudden chaos of a battle.

Sometimes it isnt skill but luck and sometimes you roll snake eyes.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 10:42 AM CST
>You suddenly die to a volley, and the novice that just walked into the room is completely unscathed.<

Sure, but I think the issue here is that it's generally not a volley that kills you. It's one arrow. It would make sense dying from 10 arrows bypassing your defenses and riddling you with damage. However, every time I've died from these attacks it has been one arrow takes off my head or something to that effect. I go from 100% vitality to dead in one hit. It is a sudden crit death.

--Just a Squire
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 11:21 AM CST
I thought I was seeing a difference in number of arrows hitting me recently and that was creating death.

I will suggest a Lumium Kite Shield.

Still regardless, I did find, I would still find that one arrow from a volley killing most adventurers, especially someone like Caraamon, to be a out of genre. He is a heoric Barbarian, who has attained at least the title of grand master Barbarian (I hope I am remembering right). A lucky arrow hitting him and hurting him, even a good deal; is different then the one out oh your hit, so remember pre-3.0 your dead.

I like arrow volleys, I just think they need to tone-down the auto death that all to frequently seem to result from them.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 12:57 PM CST
>I like arrow volleys, I just think they need to tone-down the auto death that all to frequently seem to result from them.<

Exactly.

--Just a Squire
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 01:29 PM CST
I personally like the random folks dieing with arrows. I can see how its annoying, but honestly I like it. Adds elemental of danger to invasions that kinda has been gone once you reach certain skill range.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 01:30 PM CST

The randomness of it is rather frustrating as well. I've had times where 3 or 4 have hit me in one volley and vitality drops to like 85. Then a couple more next volley. Third volley none hit. Go hit triage and get healed, walk back out and one arrow to the knee and BAM dead. The crit one shot is annoying but so is the randomness. Haven't noticed a difference in the hits when using a targe or tower shield so not sure that even matters.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 03:00 PM CST
IMO while I can respect the "well, the helplessness and death is part of the under siege experience!" viewpoint, I think most people would rather be running around fighting stuff and having the "swarms of enemies that don't seem to stop oh god can we keep holding them at bay" aspect of an invasion.

I can appreciate that being taken out of commission is part of the experience, but it's sorta like how being jailed for an extended period of time, while an appropriate response to things, is also just sometimes kinda boring. There's not engagement to be had while dead/jailed/etc, you know?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 05:40 PM CST
I would like to see the arrows tweaked some if they can be.. Instead of completely destroying the body part it hits, maybe halfway destroy it and have the poison be serious enough that it will finish the job within a minute if you don't get to triage.

..or have it behave differently based on where the arrow hits. If it hits a limb, destroy it. If it hits the torso or other critical body part it will put you near death where you have to find assistance quickly.
If an arrow hits you in the head or two arrows happen to hit you in another critical place then you die. Just reduce the % chance of instant death please. Let me have a better chance to survive it.

I died twice last invasion. I'm pretty sure I was only there for three arrow volleys, two of which killed me.
We were down to just champion invaders in front of the empath guild. I knew arrow volleys were going to be falling there because they always do.. I decided to take the risk anyway and I soon regretted it.
After triage did an excellent job quickly bringing me back, I wandered town killing the Elpalzi that showed up elsewhere, avoiding any crowds, and watched the scene in front of the empath guild from a distance, dragging bodies of others that were killed by volleys as I could.
I had just left the empath guild after dragging a body in and immediately ran south of the guild where I thought I was relatively safe. A bunch of Elpalzi teleported in and I was excited for a second, having a new swarm of Elpalzi to kill! The second after that a volley came giving me my second death.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 09:08 PM CST
Just to chime in.

The arrows are super super random. There's a couple of checks involved. An evasion check, which is generally set moderately low (Subject to change when a room full of Erixx's are killing my poor Elpalzi, you monster) and then... well, a whole lot of random. Such as, how many times are you getting hit, what body part? OH GOD POISON(arrows don't have to be, Elpalzi are just annoying that way), and probably other things like, sun alignment and "did this character tithe properly". So, the chance for instant death isn't really something that can be tweaked, because it in itself is COMPLETELY random.

For example, I am often really surprised at WHO the arrows hit and don't hit -- sometimes I don't understand it when someone dies, because the evasion check, which is kept very moderate, shouldn't cause them to die. And yet... there they are. Dead.

I get that it can be frustrating, but there are ways to avoid it. Not clumping up (usually, and not taunting the enemy will generally benefit you from not experiencing too many arrow volleys.

I'm going to tweak it a bit next invasion I run, and see if I can get it to seem a little more friendly for you guys, but like I said -- random. So no promises on how the RNG as it were will behave.

~Evike
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 09:23 PM CST
Arrow volleys are a cool idea but why not have the arrow volleys be within an actual enemy camp that the players need to raze in order to prevent them? Then, during the next invasion, the archers are out of commission until they can gather enough supplies or re-entrench themselves into a new position. Giving the players an enemy and a goal to reach, even when the threat is all too real (volley/death), would enhance the experience of this mechanic rather than turning it into a redundant randomized death that causes a player to feel completely powerless.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 10:43 PM CST
Out of curiosity... Once upon a time, it seemed like the arrow volleys didn't actually hit a room that had living elpalzi in it. Was that just my imagination? If it isn't currently the case, would it be possible to get the volleys to have exactly the same chance to hit the elpalzi themselves?

-Aislynn
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/09/2015 11:13 PM CST
If they never were in a room that had Elpalzi it in, it was because no one was firing them there. There's no way, to my knowledge, however to get them to hit creatures (but I'm going to double check). Much like a lot of other "effect" type things its one of those curious things that only hits adventurers.

Kind of like how mosquitoes only like people with certain smelling blood.

~Evike
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 02:26 AM CST
If I'm around during an elpazi invasion I avoid the arrows by simply getting the heck out of Dodge. The sheer randomness and apparent indefensibility of them makes it not worthwhile for me to take part.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 08:21 AM CST

Whenever I get involved with an invasion, I assume im dead in the next 15 minutes.

So if I dont feel like dying I just avoid em all together so that might be the difference in opinions.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 11:04 AM CST
>So if I dont feel like dying I just avoid em all together so that might be the difference in opinions.<

I don't think anyone is claiming that there shouldn't be death in invasions. The claim is simply that 1-hit critical deaths from "random" arrow volleys seems unfair.

If I get pin-cushioned from a volley of arrows and die that's one thing. If I die becuase I get an arrow to the knee that's something else entirely.

Thanks for looking into this Evike. I look forward to taunting your poor Elpalzi again soon.

--Just a Squire
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 12:16 PM CST

Im not saying if you dont feel like dying avoid the invasion.

Im saying thats what I do.

So perhaps thats why I have a difference of opinion.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 12:36 PM CST
I'm completely understanding in the randomness factor.

The amount of damage one arrow does just seems mind bellowing.

Not sure if this would be at all possible, but couldn't the arrow hits be all randomized, and have the damage done, be some type of standardized Vitality drop based on where the arrow hits, and that way if they randomly hit say twice in the chest and once in the head, you'd basically be a for sure goner? And then maybe armor of the wearer reducing the damage at area (but perhaps not necessarily the Vitality it).

I know combat coding is all sorts of stuff, besides being simple. So good luck!

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 02:15 PM CST
> If they never were in a room that had Elpalzi it in, it was because no one was firing them there. There's no way, to my knowledge, however to get them to hit creatures (but I'm going to double check). Much like a lot of other "effect" type things its one of those curious things that only hits adventurers.

Hah! Okay, I was willing to give Alret the benefit of the doubt and assume that he wasn't ordering his archers to fire into his own soldiers... But now I'm totally mocking him for the waste. Even if the mechanics do say the elpalzi are immune to volleys. So nyeh.

Same with gidii/kittens/frogs/rabbits/gnome babies, I'm assuming? Elpalzi in a room where a gidii goes off are immune to the blast?

-Aislynn
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 02:32 PM CST
I like arrow volleys but RNG one shot crit deaths aren't fun. Amp up the poison some and make the damage from arrow strikes from a volley ranged normal.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 03:18 PM CST
>Same with gidii/kittens/frogs/rabbits/gnome babies, I'm assuming? Elpalzi in a room where a gidii goes off are immune to the blast?

Correct. The game sees "Elpalzi = creature" and doesn't affect them.

I've turned the damage modifier on the unit that fires the arrows by half, so we'll see how that looks next time I run an invasion.

~Evike
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 05:06 PM CST
Thank you, I really do appreciate it.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 05:07 PM CST
I'm a pretty heavy RP guy so things like this don't tend to phase me on a personal level. My Paladin is going to be involved in an invasion because that's what Paladins do regardless the circumstances in his mind.

My concern about this stuff lies more in the dynamics of the invasions themselves. To me one of the issues Dr is having these days is that players do not interact with each other all that much. Invasions to me are an instance where that can be affected.

One of the general tactics that I have heard spoken of a lot during this event is do not gather in groups, groups get targeted, you will die more if you are in a group. While I understand this from a tactical viewpoint I feel like it's a mistake for general game play. With players even more inclined to run about as lone rangers today I feel that invasions could be a tool to get folks to work together more. If Players feel there is an advantage to operating in a group they are far more likely to give it a whirl.

When I was in Ilithi my standard for invasions was to pick a spot in town and gweth out that the spot was being held. I didn't tell folks to specifically join me but they got the idea. Sometimes there are lower circle folks who want to participate but are unsure what they can do alone. If they feel that they are just going to run out and get killed motivation can be slim. However if that same person can join a group their chances may improve. It's my experience that is that they know the limits of what they can bring to the table individually but when they look around and see that they may be able to attack while others stand in front of the enemy, and notice they are strolling about town with fifteen spells on them the confidence go's up. This to me creates a team mentality that benefits the game in general.

My feeling is that while you definitely need to keep the challenge level going in invasions this group dynamic is actually very important and needs be both supported and nurtured. The player base is not going to change it's game play style without there being some sort of benefit to them, and they certainly will not change when it's actually worse for them to try and work in groups.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 05:38 PM CST
>One of the general tactics that I have heard spoken of a lot during this event is do not gather in groups, groups get targeted, you will die more if you are in a group.

While this is sort of true, its also perception. People alone get hit just as much.

Sort of like, how every invasion someone exclaims that the arrows are suddenly poisoned, when they always have been from day one. The dynamic of the invasion has, in my opinion, less to do with how they are being run and more to do with how players perceive the pros and cons. We can't make players interact with each other, we can try, but at the end of the day that's all we can do as GMs -- try and give players the tools to do so.

>If Players feel there is an advantage to operating in a group they are far more likely to give it a whirl.

I don't know, if only there was a skill, paladins had. Maybe we could call it Lead or something?

>When I was in Ilithi my standard for invasions was to pick a spot in town and gweth out that the spot was being held. I didn't tell folks to specifically join me but they got the idea. Sometimes there are lower circle folks who want to participate but are unsure what they can do alone.

We have had people in Zoluren do this on and off. Why people stop, I don't know. Why people taunt the enemy, I don't know. Why people hide in triage, I don't know. Lots of things are mysteries to us! I try to actively monitor what's going on several different areas while I am invading and either remove threat or challenge accordingly. I find, however, (and this is unfortunate) that people would rather sit and make comments on the gweth than actual fight -- EVEN when its just the low level Elpalzi invading. I notice this during any invasion -- not just my own, since not all GMs who invade use the arrows (because we give you a respite).

Appreciate the input on the tactics you used, maybe the next Town Hall your character can subject others to his opinions on it, or maybe someone has plans to run a tactics night, or something similar and discuss things of that nature.

~Evike
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 06:07 PM CST
>When I was in Ilithi my standard for invasions was to pick a spot in town and gweth out that the spot was being held. I didn't tell folks to specifically join me but they got the idea. Sometimes there are lower circle folks who want to participate but are unsure what they can do alone. If they feel that they are just going to run out and get killed motivation can be slim. However if that same person can join a group their chances may improve. It's my experience that is that they know the limits of what they can bring to the table individually but when they look around and see that they may be able to attack while others stand in front of the enemy, and notice they are strolling about town with fifteen spells on them the confidence go's up. This to me creates a team mentality that benefits the game in general.

>My feeling is that while you definitely need to keep the challenge level going in invasions this group dynamic is actually very important and needs be both supported and nurtured. The player base is not going to change it's game play style without there being some sort of benefit to them, and they certainly will not change when it's actually worse for them to try and work in groups.

I feel what Leucius said was really well put.

>While this is sort of true, its also perception. People alone get hit just as much.
They get hit as often, or the volleys are fired into their area as often? Because it seems that the Magen Road area infront of the Empaths' Double door is hit more then twice as often as other places. And it seems that groups in general are where the arrow volleys hit. Your right it is perception, but is there some truth to that empirical evidence.

> I find, however, (and this is unfortunate) that people would rather sit and make comments on the gweth than actual fight -- EVEN when its just the low level Elpalzi invading. I notice this during any invasion -- not just my own, since not all GMs who invade use the arrows (because we give you a respite).
And piggy-backing off of Leucius, having the new Dupre and Hengwild invasions, means I have a better feel for hanging tough and knowing manners to keep myself in the fight, alive not really safe but alive and trying to get a jab in that might hit, or getting the balance up to through a maneuver cleave to hit.

Thanks so much for spending the time and responding to our inquires and well probably some of them were complaints, but thanks Evike!

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 07:24 PM CST
>Leucius >If Players feel there is an advantage to operating in a group they are far more likely to give it a whirl.
>Dr-Evike >I don't know, if only there was a skill, paladins had. Maybe we could call it Lead or something?

Here's where it breaks down for me - I take the time to zip across the game to help out in one of these.. While I'm no Erixx, I'm sitting on ~1400 buffed shield, 115 reflex, wearing capped damite/kadapa armor with a barn door (vardite pavice) shield. Add in Lead, fighting against things that don't challenge my tert TM, if I'm there I'm ONLY there to help the folks out. I make the mistake of gathering up a group, protecting a lil guy, or healer, wading into the fray and boom, gidi bomb, arrow volley, whatever, and I'm toast - from something that doesn't even give me any combat experience.

I'm all for the element of risk, I totally understand scaling the threat of events to the folks running around. If its me, and my also over-huge friends romping around, getting a dozen bone wyverns or a super-powered GMPC kicking our teeth in makes sense. Getting wiped out by a random mechanic in a skill based game ALWAYS feels frustrating, especially when its one that feels completely unavoidable.

I love invasions, I love events, anything that breaks up the grind of watching numbers goes up I'll always wholehearted cheer for. That said, I've come to avoid the latest style of stuff (Elpalzi being the recent example) due to these RNG obliterations. Seeing a candid dialog, as well as some tweaks to these gives me hope, and will likely inspire me to give it another whirl in the near future.

Samsaren
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/10/2015 07:31 PM CST
I like helping out in invasions. I also don't mind dying if the creatures outclass me. I stopped showing up to these when I know already that I will randomly die with 0 checks. If I didn't have to horde my spell scrolls it would be slightly better, but I doubt I would be willing to show up knowing I will die just because invasions are suppose to be dangerous.

Want dangerous invasions? Spawn some 1750 creatures and beyond not instant random death.

- Erixx
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/11/2015 12:15 AM CST
>I like helping out in invasions. I also don't mind dying if the creatures outclass me. I stopped showing up to these when I know already that I will randomly die with 0 checks. If I didn't have to horde my spell scrolls it would be slightly better, but I doubt I would be willing to show up knowing I will die just because invasions are suppose to be dangerous.

There are not 0 checks involved.

>Want dangerous invasions? Spawn some 1750 creatures and beyond not instant random death.

Every. Single. Time. I saw you participate I specifically spawned champions for you.

But I see that was unappreciated. I won't be doing that for anyone any longer, because to address an earlier post on the perception of everything "always hitting at Magen Road" its because no one wants to move from Magen road. Everyone expects the invasion to come to them. Which it does, to a fault. We want you guys to participate, but I notice a lot of you just standing there waiting for more to be filtered in. I won't be doing that any longer, nor will I be doing the large amounts of champions I had been doing any longer. It's quite clear to me that it's not doing any good, and doing more harm than anything else in the long run to the event itself.

~Evike
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/11/2015 06:24 AM CST

I wouldn't say it is unappreciated. Champions are fun, but you can't really fight them when you're lying around dead because of RNG. Besides, I thought the days of one shots were dead when 3.0 was rolled out. Or does that only apply to players?

As far as people standing around Magen Road and waiting.. yeah, there are some that do that, but most people roam around. Do some venture only a few rooms away? Sure. Do some venture all over town? Yes. Do some venture outside of town? Yes. I would gather that would be a fairly popular tactic as well, as people are there to stand guard around the hospital.. assisting those that are hurt and need help, while protecting the ones that are trying to heal. And some of them are just lazy.

If you want to take on a wholly defensive approach and be like "oh I'm unappreciated" etc etc, well we can't help how you feel about it. I think the RNG is just more of a factor now when RNG was removed from our arsenal because of "balance."
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/11/2015 12:01 PM CST
>>There are not 0 checks involved.

So whats the check for defending against the volleys, luck?

>>But I see that was unappreciated

Excuse me? Why are you taking this all personally? I'm talking about the invasion mechanics, not about how you are running it.

If we are going to go down that route then yes I totally love spending 10 minutes landing light strikes on a flex boss creature that anyone can kill, then when I finally bring the beast down, Volley - Dead.

If the goal is to have more people to participate, perhaps have a story line. It also blows me away that invasion creatures don't have special loot now and then. That alone would have everyone in Elanthia gunning to defend cities. Instant death wont.

- Erixx
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/11/2015 12:37 PM CST

To me so very little instant kills us these days, its just something fun that gets the heart beat going, knowing you are risking it all for the moment.

And realize my character is by no means a popular fellow, last invasion I laid dead for over 20 minutes before I just took the hit an departed, no saved mems, no locates, nada.

Im not saying everyone should play the way I do, im just saying dont be so hasty to condemn something unique because it does exactly as it is intended.

Mebbe there is a common ground, like some sort of 30 second audible warning before the volleys trigger?
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/11/2015 01:49 PM CST
I'm not taking anything personally, nor at any point did I say I was unappreciated. I stated something I did was unappreciated, it's sort of feeling like what I wrote didn't even get read, guys.

>So whats the check for defending against the volleys, luck?

Nor will I be telling anyone what the checks are, aside from the evasion check which I already mentioned.

>If the goal is to have more people to participate, perhaps have a story line. It also blows me away that invasion creatures don't have special loot now and then. That alone would have everyone in Elanthia gunning to defend cities. Instant death wont.

There is a storyline to the Elpalzi, it's been going on for the better part of two years. The loot, I can't speak to but its not a bad idea I just don't know how hard it would be to set up specific creatures that way. That said, we also don't want to flood the game with items. For example, people are hoarding the arrows from the volleys. They're just regular arrows, I checked. I have no idea why people are hoarding them.

The bottom line is, I've made the changes to the volleys to see if they allay any of the concerns next time its used. People can either participate or not as they see fit for their character.

~Evike
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/11/2015 02:04 PM CST
>>So whats the check for defending against the volleys, luck?

There are several checks involved, but the most prominent is evasion based.

>>If the goal is to have more people to participate, perhaps have a story line.

There is in fact a storyline involved with the Elpalzi invasions -- one that has to this date literally made significant changes to Zoluren, including the permanent deaths of several long standing NPCs and the destruction of the home of its royal family. There is more to come.

While we do sometimes do one-off invasions as GMs (ie: ones where the only real story behind them is that creature X is irritable enough to go into a town and attack), the particular ones that were brought up in this thread are not that sort.

>>It also blows me away that invasion creatures don't have special loot now and then. That alone would have everyone in Elanthia gunning to defend cities.

Speaking about invasions in general, we do have invasion creatures that drop special loot now and then. The Elpalzi in particular, however, have not really been in that category beyond their base ability to drop special items because they are creatures who drop loot.

-Persida
Re: Arrow Volleys 01/11/2015 02:42 PM CST

>>it's sort of feeling like what I wrote didn't even get read, guys.

Perhaps it was the "tone", then. Let's see..

A complaint is made about volleys

Erixx posts instead of instant death stuff how about 1700 critters

Your response is "Well I guess the champions weren't appreciated so I won't do those anymore for people"

We read it, and it just sounds like you took it personally. But my bad for apparently falsely assuming that.. obviously the complaining about instant death and proposing having 1700 skill critters bash our face in means hey we don't appreciate the champions that you send in.

Because, like.. that's totally what we wrote. Totally. 100%. You read what we wrote before we even had the chance to type it.
Re: Arrow Volleys ::NUDGE:: 01/11/2015 03:10 PM CST

Knock-off derailing the discussion with bickering.

This isn't the conflicts folder.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Elpalzi storyline 01/11/2015 03:23 PM CST
Just to sidetrack this a minor bit...

>There is in fact a storyline involved with the Elpalzi invasions -- one that has to this date literally made significant changes to Zoluren, including the permanent deaths of several long standing NPCs and the destruction of the home of its royal family. There is more to come.

Maybe I'm the only one, maybe I'm not, but I've been really enjoying the storyline for this invasion/war/conflict/whatever. The destruction of the keep, the death of high profile NPCs, the kidnapping and torture of other NPCs, the constant speculation of how to get into Sorrow's fortress... It's just awesome. What's even better is the realization that even once this is all over with and a conclusion is achieved, there is still going to be the rebuilding and recovery events.

I will say, I'm not an active combatant and I have no real opinion on the actual fighting. however, I think this has allowed me to have an view on the RP itself without having my perception clouded by combat woes. I have gone out to fight from time to time and have died from arrow volley, but it wasn't something that bothered me at all. Most times, like any other invasion, I run to a hidey spot and train some skills while gwething about how much my character is a wimp.

That's my RP and I'm sticking to it. Cowardice may not be an admirable trait, but at least I keep my character alive. :P

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: Elpalzi storyline 01/11/2015 03:56 PM CST

For some reason my post was hidden because there was assumed sarcasm - there wasn't.

Anyhow, my reply to Hexed..

>>Maybe I'm the only one, maybe I'm not

I've enjoyed it when it's occuring. I think the primary "problem" I have had with it is that it's been sporatic with a few events here and there, sometimes there's an invasion then sometimes it's quiet for months.. I dunno. Just seems to have gone on for a very long time. Not a complaint, or lack of appreciation, just leaves a question out there if there actually is a war going on or someone pressing the "invasion" button when they remember to do so.

However, back on topic.. thanks again for looking into RNG auto death on arrow volleys.
Re: Elpalzi storyline 01/11/2015 03:57 PM CST
I've liked the Elpalzi plot, I'd really like to figure out a way to rescue our scribe, and while I wouldn't be doing much of the attacking, using the knowledge to perhaps lead a strike team into their area and hit them instead of us being hit. Would be darn cool.

As someone else commented, or maybe take it to their hidden archer ranks, that seem to be able to haress us without us turning around and well sending Erixx through with a Fire Storm, or Caraamon with a Gor'tog weighted hammer and Gor'tog weighted broadsword (or whatever the Forging legend uses). Because most of us would love that.

But I for one have been paying attention to the plot, trying to get involved. Trying to remember between the breaks which ones I can effective engage, and figuring out ways to get the ones I can effectively engage to get away from clusters of things that can pinch me and get me into a nasty stun and well, dead from there.

And I love how, people gweth duh there is an invasion, when I haven't been standing on the Streets of Crossing nor at Magen road. I don't think all players are like this, but just general knowledge we don't have a gestalt mind here folks. I don't know what you necessarily know. Communicate.

I'm hoping that with your tweaks that you did to the arrow volley, that we'll see maybe even more wounded, but a few less that need to be resurrected, heck maybe the poisons will take them the rest of the way and they'll die that way.

I personally want to say sorry, if I got overly passionate about my character. And his repeated deaths from some of these volleys. It got me fairly to well outright very annoyed and as I pointed out above, I should have done a better job communicating.

Thank you GMs Persida and especially Evike for being so part of this conversation.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Elpalzi storyline 01/11/2015 04:18 PM CST
>I've enjoyed it when it's occuring. I think the primary "problem" I have had with it is that it's been sporatic with a few events here and there, sometimes there's an invasion then sometimes it's quiet for months.. I dunno. Just seems to have gone on for a very long time. Not a complaint, or lack of appreciation, just leaves a question out there if there actually is a war going on or someone pressing the "invasion" button when they remember to do so.

I get that. I mean, it's not like with a lot of other long-term war storylines that we've seen in the past where the aggressor is clearly visible and positioned to permeate everyday life within the game until the conflict is resolved. (IE: undead everywhere during Lyras War, Gorbesh constantly attacking during Gorbesh War, etc.) But that's really an issue about perception and tactics, some players feel nothing is going on because the tactics that are being used by the Elpalzi are more akin to guerrilla-style fighting and not the full blown frontlines style battle that are customary when armies fight each other.

I have talked to others who do not like the current style of warfare and have admitted that the length of this storyline has caused them to be disinterested in it. While I do not share their views, I can understand it. If I were an active combatant, I might share those views. But, since I'm not, I find that the story itself and the actions that have taken place is something that continues to keep my interest. Both Orders and individual players have stepped up to keep folks engaged by hosting talks about the conflict or the Elpalzi history, speaking about it in public gatherings like town meetings, or posting summaries about the events like Navesi does for the Tavern Troupe in the Zoluren folder here on forums.

I can really appreciate bringing something new in terms of DR conflict stories, and the atypical methods that are being used. However, I do understand people losing interest due to the length of time and lack of 24/7 conflict. It's a fine line to walk and we'll all just have to see how it pans out.

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: Elpalzi storyline 01/11/2015 08:08 PM CST

The story line in and of itself is a good one. I think the frustration of it is, as said by the GM's, that it has been going on for 2 years and it basically hasn't had any more to it than, "disgruntled elpazi kill some npc's, blow up a castle and like to torture someone...oh and the show up every now and then yakking about making everyone slaves" Its like a movie trailer with no movie in sight...here's some of the stuff that's included in the whole, but you aren't going to get the whole. 2 years is a long time to build up something with no meat in it. What is the goal of the Elpazi? Is Alret the true leader? Why do they have magic/capabilities/weapons that no one else in all Elanthia has? It has been like reading a table of contents then not having the pages of the book.
Prev_page Previous 1