Auto Invasion System 12/07/2014 02:13 PM CST
Howdy folks. What would you most like to see added to the Auto Invasion system?

I am torn between two things I want to see happen.

One is an expansion of the system for good/evil small-group activities. Protect the caravan. Save the kidnapped children. Rob the house. Murder the nobleman. These activities could build Good/Bad Prestige? Karma? - but we'd then have to figure out what that new currency lets you do. We've had trouble with that on the crafting side of course... They wouldn't cost anything to kick off and would give small groups of people something to do for an hour. We'd rank how well people were doing at them. There'd be multiple win/fail conditions for each of these tasks.

The second would be for players to build their own invasions using SCoins (or maybe prestige)? You'd pick the location, enemy type, circle, reason for the invasion and schedule it in advance. There would be good invasions and bad invasions.

For bad invasions, you'd be flagged as a bad guy and the enemies wouldn't target you.
For good invasions, you'd be the invaders. Righteous crusaders invading an enemy stronghold perhaps.

Anyhow, these are both somewhat complex projects but would hold my interest and I have approval already for doing some parts of them. But there may be smaller improvements or expansions I could get out quicker if you have ideas for them.

Thanks!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/07/2014 05:01 PM CST
I love both of the ideas, personally I'd go with the edge of small group activities.

The 'Karma' could be used for buying into the system. Maybe you could buy into having some helpers for future protection, or invading fodder. Or maybe it could be used to buy into some special mission later. Or perhaps some altered style item that follows your Karmic following.

So some type of Crusader Shield, or Highwayman's flail.

Additionally I'd love to see if there could be eliminations (assassin) for various types.

You(r group) is evil you: You take any type of Missions.
Your into Neautrality: Some type of Balancing thing.
Your into Light and Honor maybe even (Phelim): You do things like attack slavers, corrupted officials, tyrants, those that are Destructors, and the like.

Additionally maybe the Karma system could help you buy yourself into the trust of those types of Missions you want, and allow you to more quickly re-new efforts (if it is anything like the task system where you need delay time, maybe the Karma can cut it down).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/07/2014 06:43 PM CST
I like the direction you are looking. I am not a fan of doing something like a mass craft build and turn in thing. I love having different types of evil and good invasions. I do really love the build your own invasion type. Be cool for evil rp folks, like our necros, to be able to setup an invasion, where they can fight along side. People can help them, or people can not help them. But obviously PVP open, and consent rules apply. But that could get tricky I suppose.
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/08/2014 06:56 AM CST
Both options look fun, but I really love the idea of being able to set up invasions.

When it comes to prestige/karma, I would prefer something in-game rather than Simucoins. Maybe it could be something like being able to trade in RPA for prestige points, either good or evil. Or if both of the above ideas come into being, you could gain good or evil "prestige" by taking on jobs and then you could use your accumulated fame toward setting up invasions.

It sounds like a great idea, but I can't help but feel that it would be much more skewed toward the evil side. There are loads of cities and settlements to attack, while I can't think of evil fortress/camp type places that already exist within the game that are not just filled with generic monsters. Leading a group to invade those places seems like going hunting more than a righteous crusade, unless special leader NPCs would make appearances specifically for the invasion.
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/08/2014 09:43 AM CST
I would love this even if it was just adding that forest warden to other provinces. Also, I would use and participate in this even without some kind of currency reward. I sort of dislike the entire idea of meta currencies like this as it always reminds me of grinding reputations in WoW.

It would be a nice thing to add at some point I guess but I feel if you have to choose between getting a fun system like this out but having it be just for fun, and delaying it to come up with a framework for currencies/rewards, I would like the system to just be out and usable.

I can't speak for anyone else but if this system required Simucoins to participate in, I would never use it.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/08/2014 02:54 PM CST
>>Orbital303: I can't speak for anyone else but if this system required Simucoins to participate in, I would never use it.

Ditto. It sounds like a fun system otherwise, with or without rewards for participating.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/08/2014 07:31 PM CST
Might be cool if these used some kind of token to summon. That way they could be sold for SIMUCOINs and possibly obtained through other means such as treasure chests or invasion bosses, etc.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/09/2014 09:36 AM CST
seems neat... maybe like the assassin system(we have that!) but a 'mission' verb that tracks like task that has stats.

rpa or even pirp points to start them? that makes sense to me

I guess you'd have to start you criminal career small like stealing pigs before you could murder a nobleman.
trigger a pig cart/shrine in the middle of a goblin invasion and sneak one off
>give pig to goblin princess

and soon you'll be like goblin royalty! Until some pesky adventurers come to your hut to murder you and your horrible mutant goblin babies and steal all your loot for some human princess or something.

Looking forward to it.
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/09/2014 02:09 PM CST
<<rpa or even pirp points to start them? that makes sense to me>>

I was going to suggest the exact same thing. Seems that starting an event should be based on role playing rather than entering credit card info.

--Just a Squire
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/09/2014 02:30 PM CST
The idea of course sounds awesome. I'm okay with whatever form it gets implemented in, but there are two things I would very much like to see featured:

1) Tactics. Guiding a (small) army or using siege weaponry using this skill perhaps. Maybe sending signals via warhorn, etc.

2) Real changes. Invasions are so much fun, but it would be nice if they felt like they meant something. I'm not sure how to accomplish this without it being too much trouble though. At the very least we might have something like province tallies so that the leading province could brag that they are the fastest/best at clearing away invasions.

Also, as far as gaining karma to spend, I would kind of like to see this. I recall Raesh once talking (a long time ago) about Bards being able to build up fame/karma, and ever since then the idea has intrigued me. I'd be happy to brainstorm a lot more on it if you're looking for ideas, but at a very basic level, some minor rewards could be:

1) Unique Titles.

2) Membership in a sort of province-based Adventurer reserve army. Not an official militia, just essentially a gateway to titles and gear that suggest you tend to pick up arms when the invaders hit home.

3) Access to a special province shop where you could buy tabards and gear related to defending your province. A separate shop for the baddies with cool looking baddie gear.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Auto Invasion System 12/09/2014 04:54 PM CST
Trigger building events to repair damage.
Bandits have overtaken Dirge! But they have a progressive tax system that works on paper... let them stay!
Sabbatoge the barges and carriages and throw off their time by a few minutes?
Ambush/raid random caravans on NTR searching for npc nobles to kill!
Be killed guarding said caravan from npc bandits!

Other outcomes:
Better/worse equipped area monsters for a little bit?
Crush the orcs and maybe they look down-trodden or battered for a bit?
Spoils of war shop - good or bad
Prestige news event board