You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 10:31 AM CDT
I have no idea what the deal was but I was standing in a room with two other people during this slug thing and so many flew in the room it caused the game to crash on me. It also happens in invasions where you are having 20+ things spawn in the same instant. The machine I am using isn't top of the line but its not ancient either I don't understand it. Hell I can run D3, Neverwinter, Rift and all that fine but DR is crashing with something like this? Makes very little sense to me.

Anyone else having these issues? If so please state them. I'd like the GMs to take a look at how they spawn things in single rooms during these invasions maybe throw them in 3-4 at a time instead of POOF! heres more than the engagement cap for everyone in the room. Its aggrivating and mechanically makes no sense to me.

You feel a brief sense of unease, as if somehow, somewhere, you'd run afoul of the law.
Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 10:35 AM CDT
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're using Genie. I have had this happen when you have a lot of triggers/gags/highlights/etc and you're in a place with ridiculous, ridiculous scroll. Others have said it can happen when you are too free with . in your regexes, as well.

Back when I was on the other side of the GM curtain, I'd switch to SF for invasions because they'd almost invariably crash my client.

Melete
We must expect posterity
to view with some asperity
the marvels and the wonders
we're passing on to it;

But it should change its attitude
to one of heartfelt gratitude
when thinking of the blunders
we didn't quite commit.
Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 10:40 AM CDT
This latest crash was in genie, HOWEVER I was locked up in SF after I booted it up to get Khiol to safety. It didn't crash just bogged down to unplayable status. AMD 2.0 dual core processor, 4GB RAM, running nothing but skype and SF. Is there a reason you gotta spawn 20 at the same instant? Why not bring them in in 4s over a few seconds?

You feel a brief sense of unease, as if somehow, somewhere, you'd run afoul of the law.
Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 11:41 AM CDT
Just as another data point I haven't had any lag issues from invasions in Genie. I have seen it with bad or overzealous RegExes though in the past.

- Starlear -
Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 12:17 PM CDT
I've been fine on genie too, even on my super old laptop (which will definitely not run D3, Neverwinter, or Rift).

I'm not a big fan of auto-win mechanics when they result in catastrophic outcomes (insta-death etc), but I haven't personally run into any of those in these invasions yet.
Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 12:22 PM CDT
I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both.

See: Being trapped in a necromancer run shop as it burns down. Or standing in a volcano before it erupts. Or listening to a voice you really shouldn't be listening to. Or climbing moongate. Or...

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 01:00 PM CDT
So you kill us lots, eh?

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 01:31 PM CDT
I'm playing inside a virtual windows xp installation with 2 gigs of ram and 10 gigs of hard drive space available to it on a completely maxed out macbook air while using genie. I have some pretty complicated regexes, subs, triggers, et cetera and I've had exactly one crash during these events. And that one crash was because I was stupid and was running a grep on / instead of the directory I wanted to be in.

Not sure what people are doing in order to cause these crashes.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 02:03 PM CDT
highlights of everything for some people.... strings, subs, attacks, etc... like their computer ate too much rainbow and is vomiting it all up

Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 02:19 PM CDT
I have numerical combat subs, and a few highlights. Overzealous I would not call it in the slightest. It didn't crash on me until the volley things and spawning of 20+ in one room. It happened in genie at those points only. The bogging down happens from being in rooms with 20 critters and 5 people fighting em. I'll see if I can't work around it somehow. Maybe its windows 8?

Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 02:38 PM CDT
>>I have numerical combat subs, and a few highlights. Overzealous I would not call it in the slightest.

It might not be something you've proactively installed, but one of the background functions that Genie generally provided that caused things to freak out. I know I've had situations where Genie displayed something it shouldn't have shown me, because it processes the data that the servers provide in a manner different than what Simu expects. One example off the top of my head are some of the newer scripted travel rooms, where Genie's room window displays the "EMERGENCY BLAH BLAH REPORT TO A GM IF YOU SEE THIS AND ARE STUCK HERE" that is only meant to be seen if a player somehow gets dumped there through a very wonky bug.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: You need a high end machine for DR? 10/29/2013 03:24 PM CDT
I have the "you also see: junk, people, etc" show up often during combat, but not the rest of the room look, even though I didn't type look.

exp and other trackers also crashes a lot or causes Genie to crash(though usually when I'm closing the program), even though I should have it set off.