Prev_page Previous 1
Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 06:46 PM CDT
I can't say I'm a BIG fan of the invasions, they interrupt my enjoyment of the game - mostly because I haven't a CLUE what it's ALL about, or if there's any point to all this at all. I can't spend a lot of time in-game to catch details. Anybody have a right up, or history of what's happened, what's happening, and what this all is? Sorrow War was much more fun: It felt organized. It felt like a war, it had its battle lines. It was, as I recall, even visible on the front page. Doesn't seem so with this.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 07:00 PM CDT
>>It was, as I recall, even visible on the front page. Doesn't seem so with this.

It is on the front page. It then takes you to this page.

http://www.play.net/dr/news.asp?id=1220

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 07:55 PM CDT
Keeping up with the First and Last Herald has kept me informed.

The atmosphere messages have been really well written for this. Even hiding indoors is fun!

You know, relatively.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 08:00 PM CDT
>>the First and Last Herald

That's here if you've never seen it: http://wrensnesttavern.com/category/news/herald/

Navesi and her team has done an amazing job at getting most of the events through the game with a focus on Zoluren.

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 08:08 PM CDT
> It is on the front page. It then takes you to this page.

> http://www.play.net/dr/news.asp?id=1220

You gotta be kidding me. You mean this whole stupid string of invasions that only get me killed in the game is tied into this old festival I haven't even paid for? Sounds like a punishment for not buying into a Hollow's Eve. Real smart.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 08:50 PM CDT
Hollow Eve has always had lead in events before it that are open to everyone, though the scale has differed from year to year. They stand on their own as fun plotlines that get lots of the people involved and they just happen to have a festival at the end (largely in celebration of Not All Dying).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 08:52 PM CDT
>>Sounds like a punishment for not buying into a Hollow's Eve. Real smart.

Only if you consider the storyline itself a punishment, which few do.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 09:01 PM CDT
This has been (and continues to be) a multi-month storyline that has (and continues to be) entirely accessible to anyone regardless of HE ticket purchase or not. I am very sorry if you do not like this sort of event (or at least the invasion portion), or if being linked to the time frame of the HE festival somehow degrades it for you, but it is in fact a very involved, very multi-layered event.

I do hope that everyone will take the time to actually see what the event is about, and can find something enjoyable in it.

-Persida
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 09:37 PM CDT
> I do hope that everyone will take the time to actually see what the event is about, and can find something enjoyable in it.

Just to clarify: I don't like the invasions, but what's spoiling it all for me is the lack of knowledge on the story. I didn't stand a chance during the Sorrow War, but at least I got what it was about. Best I see is what I can gather in the chaos in any triage, or running/dodging from death. If I can't make sense of something, it's no fun.

> That's here if you've never seen it: http://wrensnesttavern.com/category/news/herald/

is the twitter feed all to go on? The page is kind of a mess (for me, anyway). Maybe it's my browser. These days I usually keep javascript shut off unless I visit these forums. Browser's getting too old and I've no way to upgrade, at least not without investing in a newer computer that I can't afford.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 10:12 PM CDT
I'm just going to give the story.

Way back long go (as far as ingame time, it was probably well over a decade ago) a bunch of Dergati fanatics or at least some people who decided to hold a vigil for her got together in Therengia and prayed and offered and somehow a Chrysalis was made (I was around and event chased, but that type of thing isn't my characters thing).

Over time people came and visited the Chrysalis, it seemed to feed off the spirits of these pilgrims, vigil goers.

Some time later, (Out of game about last year this time, IIRC) Theren closed the place off. And had some people placed in charge of 'dealing with it'.

Very recently it was reopened after Theren Royal guards (I believe two of them) were found dead by the entrance, and the Chrysalis was open, a few items were there and an opening was noticed that wasn't there previous to that.

Bunch of Visions start happening, some seeming to suggest the fall of the Moon Mages. Others about what I believe were the first visions of the Akul'tiz.

Akul'tiz start spreading their form of Terror. Wanting to bring the realization of what their mother wants. That is Darkness, and pain and discorde and what not (hallmarks of Dergati).

They also seem to be trying to sever Peri'el.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/24/2013 10:20 PM CDT
>> That's here if you've never seen it: http://wrensnesttavern.com/category/news/herald/

>is the twitter feed all to go on? The page is kind of a mess (for me, anyway). Maybe it's my browser.

Yeah sounds like your browser is having trouble with the page. You should see several images featuring the "First Land Herald" logo with a bit of text followed by a "READ MORE" link. It might appear grey and somewhat hard to see against the background until you scroll over it.

They are also posted in the Zoluren Events folder, the three most recent provide a great view on the current events and the build up to what we see happening ingame right now.

- The First Land Herald: TURMAR MINERS RETURN INSANE — Keep Survivor Vathbiirk Speaks on 10/07/2013 11:45 PM EDT
>http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Events%20and%20Happenings%20in%20DragonRealms'%20Elanthia/Zoluren%20Events/view/1902

- The First Land Herald: DERGATIAN CHRYSALIS AWAKENS -- THE 'FIRST' ATTACKS RU'ATIN SISTER on 10/18/2013 04:44 AM EDT
>http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Events%20and%20Happenings%20in%20DragonRealms'%20Elanthia/Zoluren%20Events/view/1911

- The First Land Herald: THE FIRST CLAIMS PERI'EL SLAIN
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Events%20and%20Happenings%20in%20DragonRealms'%20Elanthia/Zoluren%20Events/view/1926

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 01:52 AM CDT
>>It was, as I recall, even visible on the front page.

There have actually been two news items about the current events on the front page. And we just posted another one!

You can read it here: http://www.play.net/dr/news.asp?id=1232

That's the summary you were looking for, pretty much. As usual, the best way of finding out about current events is just to talk to your fellow players. Word of mouth may not get it exactly right, but chatting over current events is supposed to be part of the fun.

Melete
We must expect posterity
to view with some asperity
the marvels and the wonders
we're passing on to it;

But it should change its attitude
to one of heartfelt gratitude
when thinking of the blunders
we didn't quite commit.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 07:00 AM CDT
>>Just to clarify: I don't like the invasions, but what's spoiling it all for me is the lack of knowledge on the story.

Hi, I play Navesi, the editor of the First Land Herald. Sorry if the web site isn't working for you. I don't control any of the formatting there, unfortunately. But if you can manage to access it, the whole point of the Herald is to keep people updated and give them a single place to go to follow storylines. You could also go to the Zoluren Events folder and use the "Show messages" feature to show only the posts by me (which would be all the Herald posts and a few more).

Also, you are always welcome to come find Navesi in game to learn more too. She can mainly be found in Zoluren and wears a crystal ring.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 07:07 AM CDT
Yeah, you might want to try actually asking in game. Most of Zoluren would be happy to fill you in and you'd probably enjoy the talk. Discussing it IG might make you feel part of it more, which seems to be a major issue of yours.

BTW, I am absolutely loving these invasions and events. Best invasions in years, and the plot itself is awesome--a lot of facets to it and a lot of factions involved.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 09:27 AM CDT
>BTW, I am absolutely loving these invasions and events. Best invasions in years, and the plot itself is awesome--a lot of facets to it and a lot of factions involved.

Agreed. The evolving storyline and players' role in it is the most intriguing part of DR. That along with the player interaction it fosters is what grabs people when the numbers no longer do it for them.

I really wish there were Dragonrealms novels.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 12:27 PM CDT
It feels old school to me. And my being old means it's a compliment.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 01:41 PM CDT
Although I've missed a lot of it, I am enjoying the story and the invasions. I particularly like the tie-in to Peri'el.

>>Mrdahjr1971: You gotta be kidding me. You mean this whole stupid string of invasions that only get me killed in the game is tied into this old festival I haven't even paid for? Sounds like a punishment for not buying into a Hollow's Eve. Real smart.

I'm surprised and disappointed to see someone complain about events, even if they culminate in a pay-festival. The perceived lack of GM events and RP opportunities is a frequent complaint and a common justification for long-term scripting.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 02:44 PM CDT
>>I'm surprised and disappointed to see someone complain about events, even if they culminate in a pay-festival. The perceived lack of GM events and RP opportunities is a frequent complaint and a common justification for long-term scripting.

This.

Loving the invasions and events. First thing in awhile to get me to stop the script and interact.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 03:24 PM CDT
> As usual, the best way of finding out about current events is just to talk to your fellow players. Word of mouth may not get it exactly right, but chatting over current events is supposed to be part of the fun.

I don't question this. Problem was, yesterday, for example, it was so chaotic, whether I was dodging the hours-long invasion in Crossing or sitting inside one of the triage, with all the scroll it was hard to catch/comprehend anything of value. Much of what was being said was lost. I finally did catch something about a volcano blowing, in the end. Out of curiosity, are any of these invasion critters in the 100 to 150 range, btw?
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 03:51 PM CDT
>>Out of curiosity, are any of these invasion critters in the 100 to 150 range, btw?

I'm not sure if you mean circle or skills here, but the answer is the same regardless: yep, and lower (and higher). This set of events has the widest range of critter levels/difficulties that I've ever personally seen.

-Persida
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 04:18 PM CDT
>>Out of curiosity, are any of these invasion critters in the 100 to 150 range, btw?<<

There are a ton of them. Who do you play? I'll get someone to fill you in.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 04:36 PM CDT
My biggest issue with this invasion is that, unless you carry around a cleric in your back pocket to cast Bless, you might as well not participate. I stumbled into a handful of invasion critters that app'd completely beneath my notice (50th circle bard). I killed a few, and then the ghosts absolutely destroyed me with special attacks that drained my spirit. My weapons couldn't touch them, and neither could fire (Pyre) or lightning (BoS).

Once I recovered from departing, I walked through a room with another invasion critter in it and was immediately hit with a special from range that left my character completely blind. Generic dark room descriptions everywhere, no room exits, nothing. Not a pleasant game-play experience, at all. I was able to use genie to get to a healer, got patched up, and logged out.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 04:59 PM CDT

I can understand the defeated sensation of wanting to be apart of things but for one reason or another, it doesn't work out. The one thing I will commend the staff for with this event, the invasion creatures require Teamwork.

A 50th circle bard would be wonderfully welcomed in triage. Lilt, BofF, humming minuets (I think still is working least my moon mage sensed it working from my bard). I realize triage sucks if you're a combat bard, but sometimes you gotta give a little to get a little. You might also find yourself with meeting some folks who'll invite your bard along and maybe throw a shield up.

Teamwork is what works best with these creatures, so far anyway.

Just a few thoughts from "negative nelly"

Z
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 05:25 PM CDT
>>Teamwork is what works best with these creatures, so far anyway.

Just like to echo this. My thief is high enough that he's able to handle all the critters thrown at him, but can not take them down very quickly without help from others. I literally pecked away at some Dergatian spawn/behemoths for 10 minutes without doing much damage. I gwethed for some help and when they showed up we were able to crush them quickly and the critters that were riding them. The same with the totems (which I love the way they work, just wish we had some more time to run once the warning was given).

>>My biggest issue with this invasion is that, unless you carry around a cleric in your back pocket to cast Bless, you might as well not participate.

You don't have to have a pocket cleric, just gweth for a bless and there are plenty willing to come to you or give their location to bless weapons. There were plenty in the Empath guild and in triage too that were willing to bless weapons. I had to get my weapon blessed several times through out the invasion and never had a problem finding a cleric willing to help.

As for being low level, there were plenty of lower level critters, and actually seemed to be very well separated in where they spawned. Everything out the NE gate was very easy stuff and inside the gate a little harder while the very hard critters were limited to the temple. Once Xito appeared and the Fists blew it all kinda went to hell and we were completely over run.

I believe the GMs are doing a great job trying to involve everyone in this storyline. It's really sad to see the complaints over events happening after such a long drought of them. I think everyone needs to remember this is a multi-player game and things happen in the game around you that you can not control. These events are meant to get people to interact and be part of the world around them instead of mindlessly grinding ranks.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 05:46 PM CDT
>>I stumbled into a handful of invasion critters that app'd completely beneath my notice (50th circle bard).

I've been taking a group of 40th-60th circle people out to fight, and you are welcome to join us -- just find me (Navesi) in game. Crystal ring to me or gweth. I'm a 50th Bard too so I know it can be done. :)

Or if you want to have a go on your own, what I'd recommend is to go to triage and ask for a Bless (and a Soul Shield), or ask on the gweth. You'll want the butcherbirds, slugs, dingy or murky moths, and unadorned Akul'tiz, which yesterday were all over the west side of town. Kill all the Akul'tiz only with your blessed weapon (so turn off that cyclic TM) and they should not spawn ghosts. If you get a ghost, watch your spirit and be prepared to run.

Finally, it is boring but Lilt is extremely helpful in triage if you want to go that route. (Especially with people taking spirit damage.)
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 05:50 PM CDT
P.S. I too am finding this series of events to be the most awesome thing ever. I'm super happy that my lower level character can contribute in battle too.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 06:31 PM CDT
I will say that having a few options for how to get a bless is nice (my main has some of those backsheaths that bless weapons), but I've been engaged for a while, and using the same weapon and not running out of blessings for well large chunks of time.

If I was being efficient I'd probably just keep some decent weapons in each of my backsheaths and cycle through as needed.

However I don't do that... lacking that effort I guess.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 06:35 PM CDT
I'm hoping that this year's festival gift are ghostbuster traps because being blessless with ghost respawns is the butts, hah.

Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 06:39 PM CDT
Wasn't there a gift from the temple dedication that blessed things?

I'd go for a barrel o holy water we can dunk our weapons in-

Usually I aim for the ghosts first, the things that take minimal damage probably regen stamina faster than you can damage it solo.

I didn't know about the blesses preventing ghosts, they just seemed random to me.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 07:05 PM CDT
>>I didn't know about the blesses preventing ghosts, they just seemed random to me.

Oh I just meant I want to hit them at all. No idea if anything prevents the ghost part.

Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 07:21 PM CDT
>>I didn't know about the blesses preventing ghosts, they just seemed random to me.

I was skeptical about this too, but after much testing it appears to be the case. Yesterday certainly every one we killed with a blessed weapon did not spawn a ghost, and the one time we accidentally didn't, it did (happens upon decay, not death btw). So from this point I'm recommending it until I get some firm contradictory evidence.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 07:35 PM CDT
It doesn't work with blessed brawling, but brawling being bugged is something of a tradition.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 07:37 PM CDT
This event really makes the 600 ltb points I spent on that bless flask worth it.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 07:41 PM CDT
<<I'm surprised and disappointed to see someone complain about events, even if they culminate in a pay-festival.>>

It's the internet. Life is not right unless there is someone, somewhere unhappy with something others find nifty.

During this sort of event and depending on who is around I'll have Leucius throw up a lead and cover some random person with his shield. If you pass by him and he's in the lead feel free to join up and reap the benefits of groupage.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 08:20 PM CDT
totally forgot about that flask.... I use my totem from the first HE for blesses, but it doesn't give terribly many.

Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 08:27 PM CDT
Grr. My desire to participate (I could at least bless/buff, if nothing else) is conflicting with my desire to kill as many snoblins as possible to become slightly less dirt poor in preparation for the fest!
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 09:39 PM CDT
ghosts turn into shrike sapphires sometimes, which app for 3 plats...

some okay money there

Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/25/2013 11:07 PM CDT
>>Grr. My desire to participate (I could at least bless/buff, if nothing else) is conflicting with my desire to kill as many snoblins as possible to become slightly less dirt poor in preparation for the fest!

For what it's worth, the invasion mobs drop decent loot. Also, viper and leucros near the Crossing are a decent snoblin replacement.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/26/2013 01:15 AM CDT
As a Bard in my 70's I still find triage quite a lot of fun...along with dragging the dead or wounded out of battle. I tend to get into the fighting a bit when I know it is something I can actually hit, but helping out is a chaotic blast as well. Just as much of a rush trying to run around dragging deaders out of full rooms and getting them to triage without getting killed.
Re: Current Events/Invasions 10/26/2013 03:30 AM CDT
Someone posted about the spirit drain..

Cast Lay Ward on yourself. Any magic user class can cast it. Any non magic user can have a magic user cast it on them.

These invasions have been really well thought out and the events team deserves a serious pat on the back for what they've done. Everything has a decent counter, teamwork is key and what-not.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Prev_page Previous 1