A Report to High Priestess Tallis 10/14/2018 09:08 PM CDT
Your Holiness,

I pray that this missive finds you in good health and favorable spirits. I write to you today regarding an odd and unquestionable sighting of divine intervention that took place yesterday, at the Order of the Dragon Shield's tavern.

Adventurers had gathered at the Order house for good and worthy reason; to hear Court Historian Erieck's address on Therengian doctrine in regards to Necromancy. The Lord Baron's stance on that vile art was emphasized, and it was made clear to all that practitioners of Necromancy are absolutely unwelcome within the Northern Province. Despite the subject matter, no form of violent incursion was attempted by the profane. Perhaps even their blight-addled minds understood the futility of such. However, just after the Court Historian had begun to field questions from those in attendance, we were visited by a most unusual and holy guest - the sacred donkey of Lord Saemaus!

Your Holiness is most assuredly aware of these recent happenings. For completeness' sake, however, I will make brief exordium. A couple of newlyweds, Tasivu and Inlagie by name, had been traveling to all of Kermoria's provinces in celebration of their matrimony. Testimony from the attendants at the lecture implied that an avatar of Lord Saemaus, taking the form of His beloved creature, the donkey, had appeared at each of the taverns the couple visited. This would appear to be a clear sign of divine favor and the Merry Lord's blessed approval.

This was my first time witnessing the holy creature - in truth, there could be doubt of its divinity. Its appearance heralded an immediate and enchanted air of lightheaded joy to all. Those who locked eyes with it were overcome with a sort of intoxicated mirth. It pranced among the gathering in jubilant dance and, wherever it trod, Saemaus Kiss roses bloomed and all manner of effervescent drink and toothsome foodstuffs emerged into being. However, in the midst of such joyous revelry, one of the attendants, a young dwarven woman, suffered from a sudden and severe fit of melancholy. Before everyone's eyes, a deathly pallor overtook her, and she fell to the ground - instantly slain, as though by an unseen hand. Her body was free of injury, save for a swollen chest, compounded by a shattered rib cage. The wound seemed to indicate that her heart or lungs had burst, and an Empath associate of mine confirmed that the contents of her chest had all but disintegrated.

The woman's spirit cried out with sadness for her guildmates, whom she allegedly 'never saw again' after time spent making toys for others in isolation.

By the grace of our Immortals, this woman was swiftly returned to the living. She had been confirmed to have been following the festivities of the newlyweds and the avatar of Saemaus. She came into life as though awakening from a nightmare, overcome with confusion and despair - not in and of itself surprising for what she had so recently suffered. However, she seemed to be unsure of even her current whereabouts. With weakness of spirit manifested in her voice, she spoke again of missing her guildmates, whom she had not seen in many years. Additionally, she spoke to the plush bear she had been carrying, whom she referred to as Amber, asking if its lungs had been hurt as hers had.

According to Illithian Court Mage Miskton, another celebrant by the name of Berima had a similar, albeit less violent, episode at one of the previous celebrations. Her eyes rolled back into her head and, in low and husky tones, she intoned an ominous proclomation: Worms within the dead limbs still lend the tree life.

Of that instance, I cannot say what may be the cause - although it certainly sounds like some sort of possession. However, I believe that the sudden affliction that was visited upon the young dwarven woman might very well be some form of divine retribution at the hand of Lord Be'ort. The type of injury she suffered reminded me a dramatic variant of the spontaneous bleeding of the chest that overcomes those who undergo the Rite of Divorce, presided over by Be'ort. Additionally, the sudden onset of dysphoria and loneliness for companions not seen in years lends credence to the Lord of Despair's acute intervention. I can only assume that this woman has offended Him in some manner. Through my brief spiritual investigation, I could no find no sign of anything untoward. I urged her to travel to one of the holy places dedicated to Be'ort to make prayer and offerings in His name, that she may be spared any further lingering recompense.

I will continue to investigate the situation, and will report to Your Holiness at once should any further discoveries be made or divine portents touch my soul.

May Drogor guide us through adversity with the perseverance of the shark.

Hisakna'hhs'Izzu'hhr
Whiteburn

OOC: A (long) log of the lecture, followed by the party.
https://pastebin.com/NigjeDpb