Stat boosting rings 'bug' fix, communication and status 12/01/2020 02:09 AM CST
I'll start this off with I'm a bit salty about this fix, in terms of how it was done, how it was communicated, and if it was really needed or not.

Background since I don't think this was known wide.

You could wear two stat boost rings on your hands, by using "wear ring" and "wear ring on other ringer", even without a hand of glory. This was removed tonight / yesterday evening (11/30). What I find interesting about this removal, is the lack of notice that it was a bug, and complete silence about it. I do not believe this should have been removed.

The note at the corn maze about this, indicates that you should be able to wear two of them:

"These here things make a thing better by two. (That's +2 if you can only read numbers and not words!) You can wear a couple. Be nice if you had a spare hand, though!"

Additionally, even if you were wearing 3 of the rings (2 on your real hands, 1 on HOG), your stat boost for any 1 stat was capped at +6.

This was by trying 3 different scenarios with rings:
Ornate Count (+2)Resplendent Count (+3)Total Stat boost
30+6
21+6
12+6

We did not have 3 resplendent to test, but given the above, I don't think it's required to draw the conclusion that there is a +6 cap for any given stat from these rings, and so even with this extra ring, you at most could get one more stat to +3. (3 stats at +6 and 1 at +3).

This was removed with no warning, and no post about it during the event when you can buy rings. At the same time, it seems someone/something broke the parser. The timing seems more than coincidental. Was this really so gamebreaking it was decided it was a needed to tweak the parser, in live?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Stat boosting rings 'bug' fix, communication and status 12/01/2020 02:11 AM CST
My life for an edit button:

>You could wear two stat boost rings on your hands, by using "wear ring" and "wear ring on other ringer", even without a hand of glory. This was removed tonight / yesterday evening (11/30). What I find interesting about this removal, is the lack of notice that it was a bug, and complete silence about it. I do not believe this should have been removed.

That should say "wear ring on other finger".

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Stat boosting rings 'bug' fix, communication and status 12/01/2020 09:14 AM CST
I think part of this comes from information about something being released years ago, but then being treated as common knowledge. I fully agree that anytime stat rings are being sold, something should also highlight that only one is wearable at a time unless you have a hand of glory that can also wear them.

"[Stat boosting rings] boost a single predetermined stat by 1-2, which does stack with other stat bonuses. There's no verb; the rings activate when worn. Only one of these rings can be worn at a time without using a Hand of Glory."

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Hollow_Eve_2016_Gift:_The_Hand_of_Glory_-_10/29/2016_-_12:14

>>You could wear two stat boost rings on your hands, by using "wear ring" and "wear ring on other finger", even without a hand of glory. This was removed tonight / yesterday evening (11/30). What I find interesting about this removal, is the lack of notice that it was a bug, and complete silence about it. I do not believe this should have been removed.

I mean... if you need to do something abnormal in order to have something work, doesn't something tingle in the back of your head that maybe it's a bug, not a feature?

Don't get me wrong, I love to sometimes poke at the system for the sake of poking at the system and seeing what happens, but if a wonky thing actually produces a result that isn't normally possible, I also kinda realize I should do a bug report about it before going all in on it. Given the nature of some of the bugs that can pop up at times, I'm also not exactly shocked when GMs don't make a big to-do about them being fixed.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Stat boosting rings 'bug' fix, communication and status 12/01/2020 09:29 AM CST
I guess they turned off "trader official scale" apps for leather while they were fixing rings?

app leath careful
You are confident that the leather in the diamond-hide leather is of very high quality.
You estimate that the leather in the diamond-hide leather has great durability.
You wonder if the leather in the diamond-hide leather is impossible to work with.
You are confident that the leather in the diamond-hide leather is not a very good conductor of electricity.
You believe that the leather in the diamond-hide leather is good at transfering heat and cold.
You believe that the leather in the diamond-hide leather is incredibly good at repelling physical blows.
The diamond-hide leather came from skins that were average in size.
The diamond-hide leather are fairly hard.
You are certain that the diamond-hide leather weighs exactly 67 stones.
You are certain that the diamond-hide leather are worth exactly 195541 Kronars (19.5 plat).
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Stat boosting rings 'bug' fix, communication and status 12/01/2020 10:09 AM CST
>I mean... if you need to do something abnormal in order to have something work, doesn't something tingle in the back of your head that maybe it's a bug, not a feature?

Yes. Because every other syntax thing in the game makes a ton of sense. 🙄

Again:
"These here things make a thing better by two. (That's +2 if you can only read numbers and not words!) You can wear a couple. Be nice if you had a spare hand, though!"

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Stat boosting rings 'bug' fix, communication and status 12/01/2020 10:52 AM CST
>>Yes. Because every other syntax thing in the game makes a ton of sense. 🙄

Sorry; just don't believe anyone saying "I thought it was intended that I can only wear a second ring if I do a very abnormal use of the wear command".

At the same time, and as I previously said, I fully agree that anytime stat rings are being sold (or any items with some very specific rules similar to theirs), something should also highlight that only one is wearable at a time unless you have a hand of glory that can also wear them. The game shouldn't assume that everyone read a post from four+ years ago, let alone scoured the depths of epedia before making a purchase.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Stat boosting rings 'bug' fix, communication and status 12/02/2020 06:52 AM CST
>>I guess they turned off "trader official scale" apps for leather while they were fixing rings?

I noticed that bug during Hollow's Eve a week or so ago when I tried to appraise some leather I found in a prize sack. FWIW it doesn't seem to apply to metal, stone, or lumber, just leather. I presumed, (Read as: sincerely hoped lol) it was a due to more work being done to the new numerical appraisal values toggle.

- Anuind Silverspruce

Any drunken idiot can fall off a bar stool, a real man rides it to the ground.