Re: Events and you! 02/18/2020 09:18 PM CST
> But I think we lose something if everyone can always participate in everything equally. In the immortal words Syndrome, "If everyone is super, no one will be."

When you're talking about raw killing power, if you tailor it towards the lowbies then a single MLC or HLC can ruin the fun for everyone but themselves. If you tailor it for the HLCs then the lowbies just die. I also think the number of engaging events is so low that everyone should have a fun way to engage with them. If they don't, this game has failed that player.

> Personally, I get a lot of enjoyment out of trying something I know is a bit out of reach, and managing to make a difference despite the challenge.

There's a difference between out of reach and mathematically unattainable. If it's a matter of time and growth and a few more years of character development then my original analogy of being too short to ride the ride is on point.

> In having to really make the most of my character's entire toolkit to be able to hold the line.

The only way this conceivably happens in combat is if the GMs can get a rough approximation of your character's skills. When the difference is literally 0 - 1750, and a 10% difference can be the difference between being one-shot and doing the one-shotting, this just can't happen without flex. Either the mobs flex to you or you flex to the mobs.
Re: Events and you! 02/18/2020 10:14 PM CST
I seem to recall in the past that with some invasions, different level creatures were mostly limited to specific areas by using portals (ex: NE, N, and W gates of Crossing) and GMs running the invasion would nudge PCs who were slaughtering critters way below their ability to go to other spots to help out instead. But I agree also with the invasion should be dangerous element of not having (as much) of the equal flex mobs.

Also yay events and stuff.
Re: Events and you! 02/18/2020 10:49 PM CST
One thing that I struggle with sometimes with events is direction.

I'm not complaining and I don't expect to have a GM response to my player driven event every time. However, if I'm going in the wrong direction or the goal is clear but my ideas are flawed, some direction that fits into the lore correctly would be much appreciated.

It could be stretching, but would it be possible to ever receive feedback directly from events prior to an event?
For instance, you're doing the same thing (which will never work) different ways at different places only to end up with the same shortcomings no matter what you do. Alternatively, what you're doing is the right direction, but the way its being done doesn't fit into the lore so its failing.
If you don't know which is happening, that can be frustrating.

-
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 10:48 AM CST
LOCUTIS1 said:
>>With the player base being so condensed with a smaller population and even more so with social media like discord, plot narratives can be interrupted, misused or even forgotten with the OOC content that goes into our characters these days. This cannot be seen more evident with Necromancers and how commonly they are accepted by not just the players, but Provincial orders as a whole.

DR-KOROR said:
>>While we cannot control how players utilize out of game communication platforms to form relationships or organize for events, how characters choose to respond to the lore is up to them, and the lore has always supported both vitriolic hatred and acceptance of Necromancers. There has always been very intentional ambiguity baked into these matters. However, I hope people are able to separate their characters views from their players views, and remember that we are all playing this game together!

I think you misinterpreted what i was saying here, my statement above was to example and give reference to what was to follow in the paragraph that immediately followed it, (that being....)

LOCUTIS1 said:
>>The absence of the random appearance of GMPC's to nudge, remind or even direct our players and RP adds a proverbial "full stop" to any lore or basis on how the stereo typical Elanthian would morally or intellectually behave

And that by having GMPC's is a way of directing LORE for those players that do not follow up by reading epedia, or researching the in-game books or historical text.

I feel i may have erred by using a reference to Necromancer LORE given my (Rifkinns) RP on the matter. And the point i was trying to make was lost.

So say for example, a Empath was to be performing a shift outside the Empath guild. And in the presents of other players who are all standing around talking. To have Constanze show up and give a dressing down to that Empath about shifting and why it is so bad. It is a lot easier for a player to dismiss another player preaching LORE, but i have found that players listen and are more willing to follow GMPC's and their take on LORE. (as you pointed out, said Empath in this scenario is still perfectly entitled to give the proverbial finger and go on her merry way)

i learnt a lot about Empath stuff from Salvur and Constanze coming out and talking to other Empaths and it then gave me an interest to look up Epedia. Even though things were not being directed at me.

One other and a more controversial RP scenario was that of Drexella and her loosing her house.

I hope this may have clarified the point was trying to make.

>>Invasions are a mixed bag, similar to 'boss characters' -- people either love them or hate them. We see people complain regularly that invasions are meaningless and boring, and something they simply ignore. Do you have suggestions for how to make these more engaging?

Yes they can be, but i do not believe so when accompanied by a narrative with a bad guy or guys 'on the odd time but not necessarily having to be every time'. And if part of a great event like a race or inter-provincial war they are almost a necessity

Do you remember in the Elpalzi invasions, within the event a small number of us players were targeted by 'Assassins' of the Elpalzi, we would get a message something to the effect of 'a strange prickling on the back of your neck gives you the uneasy feeling"
While these guys were basically un-fightable (though slash haux at that time gave this thief an edge ;) ), they just ruined us, it was alot of fun though, and gave me an adrenaline rush.

taking this idea a little further..

What if something like this was bought back via GMPC's? Players new they were being targeted.... This would open up a great way to bring back in some CvC game play. A messaging system could even be sent to the player to agree to be targeted for any player who wished not to participate and only partake in the invasion. "you feel uneasy for a moment OOC reply yes if you agree to be targeted"

Any Random player number of players could be targeted, if multiple GMPC's were active at once even better. Are Empaths being targeted in the Triage? Is Triage being kept secret? Are the assassins crafty enough to approach a player and bribe him for a triage location? Will the one who accepted the bribe be outed or even seen? Do players need moongates to escape the assassins, or even lure them into a trap?

Sahafra used to chase me around crossing, and would kill me, she would then sit in hiding waiting for someone to come along and drag my body, and then ambush them.

bringing something a bit more interactive into the invasion and not have it so completly AI.

OK im way way way tired writing this, work sucks ruins everything. Im not sure if what i suggested in regards to invasions was in line with what you asked, but... its where this tired Aussies head went at this ungodly hour.

I still have more i will like to input with other topics and opinions with events, so maybe tomorrow after work.

Rifkinn

oh.... one last thing...

>>Should these events be spontaneous, or announced ahead of time on the calendar and/or via in game announcements?

please for the love of god..... please dont calendar them. (haven't we learnt from alterations and the player neediness and self entitlement?) ..... C'mon i did say it was late, room for a little snark, right?.

Make them Spontaneous. If there is one thing that i love in RP is to have it Organic and free flowing. When you schedule this stuff it sets up boundaries of control.

again i may have more to say on this.
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 12:12 PM CST
>Why can't Perune and his band of planar researchers be the ones that discover the next warmage spell?

I’m not sure if that was actually a goal of Perune’s experiment, but let me outline how a War Mage PC creating a spell/ability would go IC:
1) Eureka! I made a new spell/ability!
2) Grovekeepers catch wind of this.
3) Grovekeepers do extremely bad things to the PC, and anyone who they taught their spell/ability to.

Grovekeepers are the absolute arbiters of WM magic. They will not tolerate attempts to release unauthorized magic, or methods of planar manipulation, to the guild at large.

OOC, there are multiple reasons Perune, or any other PC, can’t create a spell/ability. First, the technical demand to make a spell varies wildly, and we simply can’t write every spell that interests us. Second, this would lead to accusations of favoritism if we let one PC create something, and didn’t let another. Outside of contests where we specifically solicit spell ideas, we can’t commit to making spells that players suggest.

When Gebuys was coming by to present the new spell Electrostatic Eddy, and the new ability SUMMON WEAPON, I wrote a bunch of lore for Grovekeepers and the process through which research into Elemental spells and abilities are created for the Warrior Mage guild. In this case, nobody asked so that lore is still hidden in the background. At least until someone asks an NPC who both knows and is willing to share that knowledge.

That said, I will share my head cannon on Gebuys. Multiple letters addressing him as a Grovekeeper caused the actual Grovekeepers to do extremely bad things to him, because they decided he had presented himself as such when they allowed him to leave his research cloister. They felt he violated the trust they showed in him, and now he’s unlikely to be capable of using Elemental magic, accessing the Elemental planes in any way, or sane. That said, if I ever find time, it would be fun to bring out the broken shell that looks like Gebuys. He might try to claw your eyes out in hello, or lick your cheek in vegence... But could still be fun.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 12:26 PM CST

HASTALUEGO:

>Over the course of the last 5-10 years, Events have largely shifted from everyday political intrigue, war, basic local events, etc., to large cosmic planar issues.

This seems to be a central theme, in large part to the sort of player driven events players are putting forth, and our desire to wrap up some of the bigger picture issues that are left unfinished. It is worth pointing out that while the "common less-cosmic events" are also areas we hope to continue working on, the setting is very rooted in some of these larger issues. While any guild can and do partake in complicated politics and intrigue and regional conflict, the majority of guilds are somewhat to extremely firmly resting on, or even, poking with a sharp stick, these weighty cosmological metamagic topics. Still, the point is well taken, and the reminder has been heard!

>I do tend to get discouraged from being more proactive in pushing my own ideas, because I know there is a distinct mind-set(even if there may be no hard or fast rule) in regards to what GMs are currently willing to allow PCs to attempt, and that keeps what I think are some of my better ideas from ever taking form.

This can be a mixed issue -- we do want players to try things, but we also want players to remember that many of the things they are trying are in fact quite dangerous, or untenable in the setting. Playing with potent forces, etc. Because of this, many proposed player events place us in a position to either respond with heavy use of invasions and explosions, or try something strange and different, if we are able to respond at all. The take away could be (and I should have emphasized this in my initial post!) that all player events should be built around the understanding that we cannot respond to everything, and a lack of response from staff should NOT be what your event hinges upon.

We strive to make Elanthia feel like a dynamic and living world, but every time players sit at their computers to play Dragonrealms, it is not the equivalent of sitting at a table with a Dungeon Master who can respond to you in real time -- as we cannot always be at the computer too, it is entirely possible that your dance to the volcano Gods will simply result in you boogeying across town. I do wish we had the bandwidth to trot out a GMPC to discuss ideas before they are attempted, as a number of event proposals would have been much better discussion topics than events to respond to.

Which, of course, tells me that that is exactly what we should do in some situations, as that would often be much easier and maybe even more enjoyable than some of the responses we actually put together.

ZERODIVIDES:

>I was thinking of the Maelshyvean vessels -- if they weren't flexing then they were much easier than I expected.

I do not believe they flexed, and they were in fact quite weak, relatively speaking. I think they only appeared during the first raid, not during the Death of Maelshyve Event. If you saw any during the Death of Maelshyve, it was likely because someone had used a capture bottle.

SAUVA:

>But once, give it a go where you play some favorites, and reward those players that have dedicated years of their RL lives, either to grinding out ranks, or to role-playing the heck out of their characters (or both!) and let the wiki reflect forever that TurribleButcheringOfNameFromLiterature was the PC that changed DR forever.

It has always been interesting to see where people report themselves as the heroes or influences of the stories, and where they remain silent. What I am trying to say is "I believe players have played a larger impact in greater events, and witnessed more events, than some people seem to think, despite what may or may not appear in Elanthipedia". It is a mixed issue, but we will do what we can to make players feel more like the leading actors and heroes of the story when appropriate.

ACIDICSNAIL:

>I recall when I was still fairly new to DR, a friend took me to Raven's Court and introduced me to a GMPC who was just hanging out with people. There wasn't anything special going on but it still felt really cool to meet a provincial official one on one like that.

I can see why that would be neat. I admit to some hesitation in doing this regularly due to some of the responses I have seen from people expressing frustration that nothing meaningful came from the hangout session, but I agree that activity from prominent GMPCs in the courts and guilds will make things feel more vibrant and active.

LIURIDR:

>I seem to recall in the past that with some invasions, different level creatures were mostly limited to specific areas by using portals (ex: NE, N, and W gates of Crossing) and GMs running the invasion would nudge PCs who were slaughtering critters way below their ability to go to other spots to help out instead. But I agree also with the invasion should be dangerous element of not having (as much) of the equal flex mobs.

Yes, often we will set certain parts of the city for certain relative ranges. For example, around the West Gate, we will invade with enemies up to 200 ranks, around the East Gate, 200-400, and around the NE Customs, around 600-800, etc. This is a little more juggling on our part, but can help lower ranked characters feel that they have a place to slot into things. Personally, I think this is something that could be directly handled with flex creatures, and then we mix in the occasional much tougher creature for the higher ranked characters to deal with, but it certain is not a one size fits all approach, and we can dabble in both.

ELFTOON:

>It could be stretching, but would it be possible to ever receive feedback directly from events prior to an event?

Sometimes, if a given idea is particularly problematic, we will clarify via email what limited response, if any, we are able to take to the event. Other times, the messaging we will be sending should be an indicator of what is going on -- if you are still on fire, that might be a clue. I can say I have personally seen people try X thing, sent them messages to the tune of "Nothing happens because this is not a viable idea" and watched them simply continue doing the thing or escalating their efforts with the thing. As I mentioned above to HASTALEUGO, I believe either an email or GMPC visit to discuss and clarify the proposed idea may be a way to overall reduce any feelings of being directionless, so look out for that in the future.

LOCUTIS1:

>I feel i may have erred by using a reference to Necromancer LORE given my (Rifkinns) RP on the matter. And the point i was trying to make was lost.

That's ok! Thanks for clarifying. Also, the lore nudging that we have utilized over the years itself has been largely interpreted and filtered through player account and opinion!

>So say for example, a Empath was to be performing a shift outside the Empath guild. And in the presents of other players who are all standing around talking. To have Constanze show up and give a dressing down to that Empath about shifting and why it is so bad. It is a lot easier for a player to dismiss another player preaching LORE, but i have found that players listen and are more willing to follow GMPC's and their take on LORE. (as you pointed out, said Empath in this scenario is still perfectly entitled to give the proverbial finger and go on her merry way)

I believe, but could be remembering incorrectly, that an Empath performing a Shift in a JUSTICE zone will immediately trigger the guards? I understand your point though that the consequence and dressing down for doing so coming from a guild leader will have more weight. I agree with you. However, this gets back to the point about how we simply cannot sit and watch everything that happens in game, and why we are MUCH more likely to respond to something if we hear about it happening before hand, or if you use a REPORT to let us know. When most of us 'sit down to GM', we often do not simply park a body in a public place and watch and wait for something interesting to happen. That's partially why I mean you cannot rely on GM responses to your events to be the final say in how events transpire.

>Do you remember in the Elpalzi invasions, within the event a small number of us players were targeted by 'Assassins' of the Elpalzi, we would get a message something to the effect of 'a strange prickling on the back of your neck gives you the uneasy feeling"

I personally loved those, but need to point out that a lot of people complain vehemently at what they perceive to be "instant death" mechanics. We receive a lot of complaints about disruptions to play, and "rankless kills", and so have become weary about doing this for certain situations. So, basically, it varies, we will consider it :)

DR-JAVAC:

>He might try to claw your eyes out in hello, or lick your cheek in vegence... But could still be fun.

This too is how I play some of my GMPCs.

One common theme that people seem to want more of is general non-release related interactions with GMPCs such as guild leaders or similar. My concerns with doing so are as follows, and I bring these up directly as discussion points, not as 'reasons this cannot happen'.

1. Often times players are not paying attention to the insides of guilds, or are using guilds as quiet rooms to AFK (either while continuing to gain experience, or to drain off field experience). We do not want GMPCs to start feeling like script checks, so on the occasions we have walked a GMPC into a room of people and started chatting, and been ignored, it puts us in an odd position of wondering whether we actually need to start some script checks. We could gweth to announce that we were coming down to the common area for a little while, but this may also make people feel like some of the spontaneity has been removed. What do people feel a good middle ground is, understanding that many players do not 'hang out' in each of the guildhalls waiting for this sort of event to occur?

2. Many of these guild leaders are not nice people. We neither want players to feel bullied or abused by these individuals, nor do we want players to 'seek punishment' from them as part of a desire for any response of entertainment. No one should be disrespecting Kssarh. He barely tolerates others breathing loudly in his presence. As the number of characters that are larger than 150 circles expands guild leader ignores as punishment becomes increasingly less impactful, and the number of people who think they are more powerful than the guild leaders grows (They are not. Not at all). How do people think we should balance the reality of some of these personalities against some of the behaviors that occasionally occur in crowds? As a very specific question -- how would people feel about being killed by these guild leaders? Permanent item loss? etc.?
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 01:41 PM CST
>>What do people feel a good middle ground is, understanding that many players do not 'hang out' in each of the guildhalls waiting for this sort of event to occur?

I think gwething a little ahead of time would still fall within the realm of spontaneity, but the feasibility of that will vary from GMPC to GMPC. A guildleader might announce they were going to be spending some of their free time talking to people in their hall, but random guard #3 probably wouldn't announce before hand if he were to ever come "alive".

As for not wanting spontaneous visits to feel like to be like a script check: If I were the GM I'd watch the room for a little while and see if there were conversations happening already. Are people chatting or is it mostly quiet with people playing their zills and kicking rocks? If it's the latter, probably not a good time for a GMPC to show up.

>>As a very specific question -- how would people feel about being killed by these guild leaders? Permanent item loss? etc.?

I'm a big proponent of personal responsibility and consequences in RP. That's not to say that Kssarh should just immediately murder anybody who annoys him (there'd be no one left) but I think if Kssarh were to say, "Knock that off or I'll fry your brain" and the person in question continues to pester him, that person deserves to have their brain fried. Item loss is a bit iffier - I really don't like it as a punishment in general. I think graves should've been remove from the game the same day that permadeath was. That being said, it falls within the realm of a consequence of RP so I think it's fair game so long as the PC is given some indication that what they are doing could result in Bad Things if they continue.

>>As the number of characters that are larger than 150 circles expands guild leader ignores as punishment becomes increasingly less impactful

One thing that I really like is that blatantly Perverse necromancers are occasionally barred from entering Philosopher guildhalls. It's an excellent way to give consequences for RP, and I'd hope it would happen whether that character was circle 2 or 200. I fully support other guilds adopting a similar style of punishment even in the instances where it carries less bite due to an already high circle.
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 02:18 PM CST

Perhaps a quarterly event raffle could drum up some interest. PC's that want to participate would enter to win a chance to work with the event team to brainstorm or create an game-wide, guild-centric, or whatever their heart desires (obviously there would be some guidelines and such, restrictions etc..). Give some "power" to the player so they feel involved and feel as though they are being heard by the staff as well.

Events are out there, player-led as well as GMPCs lurking and mixing it up but unfortunately it seems that some players want to know that its happening rather than let it happen organically.

I like the idea of the "hero" as well as an option for our "villains". I don't think ranks are the answer though, it should be up to characters that have Rp'd with them in the past or present. Something they've done that had a lasting impression on either character, perhaps a vote at a town hall meeting or something fun. Bring the community closer together since most of us have been playing together for 20 something years.
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 02:57 PM CST
>>We could gweth to announce that we were coming down to the common area for a little while, but this may also make people feel like some of the spontaneity has been removed. What do people feel a good middle ground is, understanding that many players do not 'hang out' in each of the guildhalls waiting for this sort of event to occur?

The fact the gweth came unscheduled means its spontaneous by definition, IMO. I agree with ACIDICSNAIL that viewing the room beforehand can give you an idea as to whether or not the room is worth engaging, though that may not remove your any concern that your desire to RP has turned into a need to script check.

>>As the number of characters that are larger than 150 circles expands guild leader ignores as punishment becomes increasingly less impactful, and the number of people who think they are more powerful than the guild leaders grows (They are not. Not at all). How do people think we should balance the reality of some of these personalities against some of the behaviors that occasionally occur in crowds? As a very specific question -- how would people feel about being killed by these guild leaders? Permanent item loss? etc.?

Two things I'd like to mention here. One, I think punishments need to be more creative, because you're right: once you hit 150th circle, what the Guild has to offer you takes a serious decline, and if the Guild isn't active there can sometimes be very little reason to maintain the connection to it.

Two, if there is a mind-set in GM-Land that a PC who is encroaching upon game's skill cap(That is the PC is 200th circle with skills inching beyond that) is not at the same skill level as their Guild Leaders, I would respectfully request you deeply reconsider this notion. The game has a skill cap, it takes quite a while to achieve it, and I can't think of any good reason the Guildleaders should be beyond it. In fact, some Guildleaders have been killed by superior PCs in the past already. A Guildleader might have some secret abilities/spells/items/etc. that separate them from the populace, but I think outside of the most extreme circumstances, no Guildleader should be instantly obliterating a 200th circle PC. Can they still best the PC in a fight? Certainly, but they also might lose. Womp Womp. Students should be able to surpass their teachers.
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 04:24 PM CST

ACIDICSNAIL:

>One thing that I really like is that blatantly Perverse necromancers are occasionally barred from entering Philosopher guildhalls. It's an excellent way to give consequences for RP, and I'd hope it would happen whether that character was circle 2 or 200. I fully support other guilds adopting a similar style of punishment even in the instances where it carries less bite due to an already high circle.

To take the question further (and I am not at all sure we could even do this!), what if a particularly egregious set of behaviors led to a Guildleader blocking you from a specific spell? An entire spellbook? This would of course be reversible with a deserving exculpation.

>Are people chatting or is it mostly quiet with people playing their zills and kicking rocks? If it's the latter, probably not a good time for a GMPC to show up.

This is getting off topic, but I feel it needs to be said -- we do not enjoy script checking people, and we do not enjoy seeing people AFK, let alone while you are holding an event with other people. I would rather people arguing ICly with the concept of the event than a room full of people kicking rocks. Gwething about an appearance 15m ahead of time may be a good approach.

BLAMBOHEAD:

>Perhaps a quarterly event raffle could drum up some interest. PC's that want to participate would enter to win a chance to work with the event team to brainstorm or create an game-wide, guild-centric, or whatever their heart desires (obviously there would be some guidelines and such, restrictions etc..). Give some "power" to the player so they feel involved and feel as though they are being heard by the staff as well.

I feel like we did offer something like this, though I cannot recall. I will push this one up the chain and see what sort of plausibility there is for it to happen, with the obvious caveats being we reserved the right to change things as needed.

Note though, sufficiently supported and thought over plans by players basically do regularly become 'things in game'. If you have a particular idea you want to see happen, email into events.

HASTALUEGO:

>Two things I'd like to mention here. One, I think punishments need to be more creative, because you're right: once you hit 150th circle, what the Guild has to offer you takes a serious decline, and if the Guild isn't active there can sometimes be very little reason to maintain the connection to it.

What do you suggest?

>Two, if there is a mind-set in GM-Land that a PC who is encroaching upon game's skill cap(That is the PC is 200th circle with skills inching beyond that) is not at the same skill level as their Guild Leaders, I would respectfully request you deeply reconsider this notion. The game has a skill cap, it takes quite a while to achieve it, and I can't think of any good reason the Guildleaders should be beyond it. In fact, some Guildleaders have been killed by superior PCs in the past already. A Guildleader might have some secret abilities/spells/items/etc. that separate them from the populace, but I think outside of the most extreme circumstances, no Guildleader should be instantly obliterating a 200th circle PC. Can they still best the PC in a fight? Certainly, but they also might lose. Womp Womp. Students should be able to surpass their teachers.

I checked with upper management (this is the verbatim response) -- "We've always said that guildleaders are far beyond the player-attainable circles. Taramaine was considered 400ish circle in the 2000s."

If there is an example of a Guildleader being killed by PCs, it is likely a goof, a failure to flag something properly or set skills or wear armor or stance correctly. While it is possible for characters to be the heroes of stories, it is extremely unlikely a character will become more powerful than a Guildleader. These people are not in their position due to inertia. They do not merely have 'some secret tricks' -- they are the people who establish and codify the tricks they are willing to teach you (as pointed out, in the case of some guilds like the WMs, the Guildleaders are actually a step below the real power base. In other cases, like with the Empaths Guild, withholding power and information is baked into the entire training process. ). I have heard senior GMs jokingly refer to Kssarh as "Professor X level of power".

While there are opportunities to acknowledge the ranks that some players have earned, we do not believe that one such opportunity is "usurping or surpassing Guildleaders". I think not only should Guildleaders be capable of virtually instantly obliterating a 200th circle PC, we should think of their talents beyond "really high ranks". They know things and can do things that PCs cannot.
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 05:16 PM CST
>>What do you suggest?

Some basic ideas:

1. Items that restrict the use of abilities. For instance, to draw upon other sources of fantasy: Witcher 3 and dimeritium metal. The metal restricts magical use, thus mages captured by guards have legitimate reasons they're not continuing to blow them up, they actually can't. Something a long those lines, while possibly rare, might be an apt repercussion for bucking the hierarchy of the world. It doesn't necessary mean they have to be in handcuffs for a few weeks but they could have a negative magic tattoo or some effect placed on them that restricts their ability usage, or dampens it.

2. Excessive Fines that prevent the character from doing various activities until paid(and possibly even making it so they're no longer a victim in justice zones, the world is a cruel place for the criminal.)

3. Penal Colony action where they're forced to earn their way out via some sort of daily slave labor, which could be crafting skills that provide something for them worthwhile to do.

4. Actual prolonged jail time. Not every punishment needs to be some sort of fun activity, they can in fact simply be down time. Repercussions are often for villainous or antagonistic characters, who should be some-time meals anyways.

5. Curses. Something that perhaps restricts their stats or abilities for a long period of time, fits within game lore.

That's just spit-balling at the moment, I could probably come up with more. But the general idea is that repercussion for people on the wrong end of society probably needs to be a bit more involved and that often means a bit harsher than usual in DR. This also means players need to be more accepting of negative consequences, including people who play what they consider to be good guys, because even they wind up on the wrong end of the law in Events sometimes.

>>I think not only should Guildleaders be capable of virtually instantly obliterating a 200th circle PC, we should think of their talents beyond "really high ranks". They know things and can do things that PCs cannot.

In response to this I have some questions: What purpose does this serve? How does this help the game? Does it help the setting? Does it promote roleplay? Does it promote or hinder the actions of players?

More specific pinpointing: how does such a thing make sense within the realm? What is the purpose of the PC if the Guildleader is always more apt at dealing with threats that are even dangerous to themselves(Like Dark Gods or Demons)? Also, how does that work considering the Provincial Leaders would want such threats dealt with as fast as possible considering they are also a danger to them and the realm they wish to keep ruling?

I think an honest analysis of that standard will prove it serves very little purpose, isn't necessary, and only helps to hinder player agency and the potential stories of the PCs themselves.

Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 05:28 PM CST
>> To take the question further (and I am not at all sure we could even do this!), what if a particularly egregious set of behaviors led to a Guildleader blocking you from a specific spell? An entire spellbook? This would of course be reversible with a deserving exculpation.

Game on.

I know a cleric who managed, via RP choices and rhetoric, to essentially get excommunicated from the guild. The player pivoted this into a remarkable character arc.

- I
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 06:22 PM CST

Just a couple things to chime in on here:

>If there is an example of a Guildleader being killed by PCs, it is likely a goof, a failure to flag something properly or set skills or wear armor or stance correctly. While it is possible for characters to be the heroes of stories, it is extremely unlikely a character will become more powerful than a Guildleader. These people are not in their position due to inertia. They do not merely have 'some secret tricks' -- they are the people who establish and codify the tricks they are willing to teach you (as pointed out, in the case of some guilds like the WMs, the Guildleaders are actually a step below the real power base. In other cases, like with the Empaths Guild, withholding power and information is baked into the entire training process. ). I have heard senior GMs jokingly refer to Kssarh as "Professor X level of power".

A couple PC examples I can think of offhand are a) a thief who killed a Trader GL and b) an individual who is now a GL was killed on at least a few occasions before his/her aspiring to said "rank".
Additionally, if I'm not much mistaken, when the hulking xala'shar area was being prepped for release I believe several GLs (Gauthus I think, some others I don't recall specifically) led an assault to repel them which lead to the temporary barricades that were placed before the area completed opening - during this assault several GLs were slain and had to be resurrected and/or departed because of the strength of these creatures. Which should be pointed out are now a common training area for many PCs.
Also, with GLs being kind've like a pinnacle of Guild ability it kind've makes their negligence in helping avert cosmic destruction that much more apparent? Since they possess so much greater skill and ability, why are PCs carrying the burden for success or failure in these things? (Granted there have been occasions where GLs have directly assisted but quite frequently for all intents and purposes they appear to take minimal or no interest in these possible cataclysms.)

>While there are opportunities to acknowledge the ranks that some players have earned, we do not believe that one such opportunity is "usurping or surpassing Guildleaders". I think not only should Guildleaders be capable of virtually instantly obliterating a 200th circle PC, we should think of their talents beyond "really high ranks". They know things and can do things that PCs cannot.

I would agree that it makes sense for GLs to know and be capable of things that most if not all PCs would be incapable of given that GLs have been familiar with and using their Guild's knowledge for a -long- time (almost too long if it weren't for Empathic life support) I find it improbable to assume that they would also remain so far ahead of the "skill curve" given their placement as predominantly teachers in their respective Guilds. To draw further on the analogy of teachers, many who step out of their technical career fields to begin teaching/sharing their knowledge decline in technical skill due to the enormous amount of time and energy diverted to teaching. They may have built up a vast amount of technical skill but in general this starts to decline as they spend more time focusing on teaching and research. Granted, I'm sure this isn't true in -all- cases but it is far from uncommon.

>1. Items that restrict the use of abilities. For instance, to draw upon other sources of fantasy: Witcher 3 and dimeritium metal. The metal restricts magical use, thus mages captured by guards have legitimate reasons they're not continuing to blow them up, they actually can't. Something a long those lines, while possibly rare, might be an apt repercussion for bucking the hierarchy of the world. It doesn't necessary mean they have to be in handcuffs for a few weeks but they could have a negative magic tattoo or some effect placed on them that restricts their ability usage, or dampens it.

To add to this, I do believe something similar was done when the Red Buzzard dungeon was more "in use" with an extremely long (from a PC POV-much longer than would be available as a PC caster) Huldah's Pall was placed on mages who were released after having to be cleansed there (I think this was done to Powerhaus at least).
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 06:45 PM CST
>>I do not believe they flexed, and they were in fact quite weak, relatively speaking. I think they only appeared during the first raid, not during the Death of Maelshyve Event. If you saw any during the Death of Maelshyve, it was likely because someone had used a capture bottle.

They were in the Darkmist Moor Abyss. I remember expecting to meet the creatures that are usually there (bloodwraiths, bone golems, bone mastiffs and shylvic) and instead the area was wholly populated by Maelshyvean vessels.

--
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 06:55 PM CST

One other thought that occurred to me on the idea of PC agency and GLs etc:

It would be neat to see PCs "empowered" with some GL functions (like circling, teaching spells/abilities) after meeting stringent requirements (circle, skill, application process akin to Mentors or what-have-you). Naturally this wouldn't circumvent game standards and requirements, Joebob can't circle without meeting reqs just because he goes to his bestie Jimbob to circle instead of asking a GL. IMO, this would encourage players to actually see each other more and (hopefully) incite RP as well while still maintaining the normal GL systems so that players can't abuse each other and deny advancement etc. Additionally, it seems sensible given the whole system of RP based skill ranks (ie why wouldn't a Warding Legend be capable of teaching a novice how to construct and introductory ward?)
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 07:27 PM CST
In terms of story lines, I'd like to see something that spills over from the Thief guild or even something that stems from the Ranger or Barbarian guilds.
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 09:36 PM CST
>As the number of characters that are larger than 150 circles expands guild leader ignores as punishment becomes increasingly less impactful, and the number of people who think they are more powerful than the guild leaders grows (They are not. Not at all).

Either ranks mean something, or they don't. At the end of the day DR is a role playing game but one based on math, rules, and 1750 (+30%) being the global cap. I think you guys should play by the same rules as we do. You want to animate a GMPC and kill Gort? You better know how to PvP with those 1750 ranks of HT and evasion (or just roll a cleric). Also don't forget to abide by the silly consent rules you guys have laid out. There shall be no free passes.

>Two, if there is a mind-set in GM-Land that a PC who is encroaching upon game's skill cap(That is the PC is 200th circle with skills inching beyond that) is not at the same skill level as their Guild Leaders, I would respectfully request you deeply reconsider this notion. The game has a skill cap, it takes quite a while to achieve it, and I can't think of any good reason the Guildleaders should be beyond it. In fact, some Guildleaders have been killed by superior PCs in the past already. A Guildleader might have some secret abilities/spells/items/etc. that separate them from the populace, but I think outside of the most extreme circumstances, no Guildleader should be instantly obliterating a 200th circle PC. Can they still best the PC in a fight? Certainly, but they also might lose. Womp Womp. Students should be able to surpass their teachers.

HASTALUEGO is wise.

I checked with upper management (this is the verbatim response) -- "We've always said that guildleaders are far beyond the player-attainable circles. Taramaine was considered 400ish circle in the 2000s."
I think not only should Guildleaders be capable of virtually instantly obliterating a 200th circle PC, we should think of their talents beyond "really high ranks". They know things and can do things that PCs cannot.
>~KOROR

Rarely have I been more disappointed in something I've read on these boards. For myself, I think I have identified the core issue with what I dislike about GM run events. We are not playing by the same rules; we're not playing the same game where we build a world together. That is both disappointing and discouraging.

I like this response:
In response to this I have some questions: What purpose does this serve? How does this help the game? Does it help the setting? Does it promote roleplay? Does it promote or hinder the actions of players?
More specific pinpointing: how does such a thing make sense within the realm? What is the purpose of the PC if the Guildleader is always more apt at dealing with threats that are even dangerous to themselves(Like Dark Gods or Demons)? Also, how does that work considering the Provincial Leaders would want such threats dealt with as fast as possible considering they are also a danger to them and the realm they wish to keep ruling?
I think an honest analysis of that standard will prove it serves very little purpose, isn't necessary, and only helps to hinder player agency and the potential stories of the PCs themselves.

Again HASTALUEGO is a smart guy. With the attitude of ranks don't matter, why should my PC even bother responding to any threat? The GMPCs should have 1-shot all the various extinction-level-event threats long ago.

I am glad we are having this conversation as much as some parts of it disappoint me. I think it is important to have these conversations and I am glad to try and see things from the red-name perspective.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: Events and you! 02/19/2020 10:01 PM CST
200th circle is the player character skill cap. When you hit 200th circle no one says, 'congratulations you're a guildleader now!'. If the other guilds hold back even a quarter of the forbidden knowledge that the Moon Mage and Empath guilds do you're still weak compared to a GL at 200th. That GLs have been/can be killed by players speaks more to the fact that GMs don't get anywhere near the play time that players do - it has little reflection on how powerful the characters themselves are.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 05:31 AM CST
<<Either ranks mean something, or they don't. At the end of the day DR is a role playing game but one based on math, rules, and 1750 (+30%) being the global cap. I think you guys should play by the same rules as we do.>>

This is a good point that bears echoing, and it's especially applicable to characters that are explicitly meant to be engaging in combat with the players' characters. To step beyond the guildleader conversation and go back to the Elpalzi assassins that came up before, the idea of sending high-powered assassin characters after certain folks for certain reasons would have been perfectly fine if they were doing it within the constraints of the combat system. Because the combat system is how combat works in Dragonrealms. The assassins shouldn't get to auto-kill anyone, Viggu shouldn't be able to auto-stun an entire army with the same mechanic used by friggin' gods at vision-related events (make him actually use an actual roar with an actual contest, which should have the same six-target maximum that area spells do), etc.

If there must be characters that are supposed to be far outside the scale of the game for story reasons, they shouldn't be engaging in activities that pit them against the players' characters; maybe they send a lackey who does land somewhere on the scale instead.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 05:39 AM CST
>> When you hit 200th circle no one says, 'congratulations you're a guildleader now!'

Of course they're not, anyone can hit 200th circle, they do not have to ever engage with the Guild as an actual organization at all whatsoever. There's no reason someone hitting 200th would be proclaimed a Guildleader, the problem isn't about that.

>>That GLs have been/can be killed by players speaks more to the fact that GMs don't get anywhere near the play time that players do - it has little reflection on how powerful the characters themselves are.

This doesn't really follow. Look at how skill ranks are spread out over the course of those 200 circles, then imagine the skill ranks a 400th circle character would have. This means that someone like say, Gorteous, getting into some sort of fight with say, Agonar, would look like the Bride vs. Pai Mei. But that typically isn't what happens, nor should it happen.

Hoarding power(abilities, spells, secrets, artifacts, etc) is one thing, to be vastly more skilled than your students at that point seems rather ridiculous in both the scheme of things and within the overview of the world itself.

An additional note: I'm not advocating for an increase in achievable skill ranks here. I think any addition to the "ladder" as it stands would be a poor notion.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 08:26 AM CST
HASTALUEGO:

Caveats here include the reality that players get really upset (rightfully so, maybe!) at the idea of having their desired play time hindered by consequence.

>Something a long those lines, while possibly rare, might be an apt repercussion for bucking the hierarchy of the world. It doesn't necessary mean they have to be in handcuffs for a few weeks but they could have a negative magic tattoo or some effect placed on them that restricts their ability usage, or dampens it.

As soon as I posted my response I was thinking of something akin to this and ways to make it happen. I am not sure how feasible it would be, but I will look into it.

TK-421:

>I know a cleric who managed, via RP choices and rhetoric, to essentially get excommunicated from the guild. The player pivoted this into a remarkable character arc.

We were very impressed with that arc, and were glad to be able to support it!

At the risk of going down a rabbit hole that will serve no purpose unless I receive different instructions for moving forward -- The purpose having some constraints in DragonRealms lore and mechanics serves the purpose it does in every game, and every story -- to provide boundaries, context, and parameters in which the game/story can be enjoyed. DragonRealms is not a freeform sandbox, where anything goes (and indeed, even sandbox games have rules/parameters!). For the same reason you cannot truthfully claim to be a space pirate from Katamba, there exist a power dynamic and organizations that are, simply put, superior to what players are capable of doing. The places players interact and have agency are confined by those parameters. When you play chess, you cannot prevent a Knight from jumping.

To use your example of The Witcher world -- say you are a Witcher, a powerfully talented semi-immortal mutant hunter roaming the lands! To you, the citizens are mere meatsacks, yours to ignore or murder as the mood strikes, and monsters are just bounties to line your coinpurse! But somewhere out there, Geralt of Rivia is roaming the countryside too. Does Geralt being a more powerful Witcher diminish your experience? Does the fact that the author has written your death in Chapter 8 make the story up until then for your Witcher any less entertaining? If there was a Witcher MMO, do you think everyone would be able to roll up "Geralt of Rivia" or "Yennefer the Sorceress"?

That is a key difference between a game like The Witcher and DragonRealms. When you sit down to play The Witcher, you are not merely some random Witcher part of the guild of Witchers, you are *Geralt of Rivia*, and the story revolves around you, because the game is not an MMO. Even the artificial parameters the game places on you (gear stats, travel speeds, rules in Gwent, quest givers, etc) are still designed to make YOU the hero, and Geralt has the power of plot protecting him (much the same way the Guildleaders or Immortals/Demons etc do in DR!). Time freezes when you put down the controller, and the story will not proceed until you complete key quests. When the story demands Geralt be overpowered, he is, and he wakes up a little while later having been rescued by someone while unconscious, or he is tied up and the next plot element occurs as he makes his daring escape. These are story elements linearly baked into the process, allowing you the player/reader to be the hero, precisely because the author has provided those elements for you to enjoy as intended.

When you play DragonRealms, you are one of many PCs roaming the lands. Rather than being the focus of the story, you are part of the greater story, and the artificial parameters the game places on the player base are designed to make everyone feel like they are part of the world. The game continues when you are gone.

We can tailor responses to player events and allow for a reasonable amount of agency -- even heroism -- but we have an obligation to everyone in the game. Certain elements of the game world are effectively as powerful as we, the storytellers, need them to be. Imagine, for example, if any Necromancer that hit circle 200 could kill an Immortal. Or any Moon Mage that hit circle 200 could simply destroy a Moon. Why has the Thieves guild not simply assassinated every leader in the game and taken control everything? Why does the Trader guild not own everything? Do these examples sound ridiculous to you? Why, or why not? There are constraints, they are as artificial as the story demands them, and they are largely in place to allow the gamespace to be playable and enjoyable by all.

Another consideration is that while we do not want to tie RP opportunities to having lots of ranks (How many ranks? What is too many ranks for your comfort or enjoyment, but enough ranks that you still feel recognized? Does that vary for each person?), we will continue to offer challenges (both mechanical and role-playing), where we can. While having big numbers does grant you greater latitude when deciding how to respond to events, it does not allow you to bypass the RP parameters that constrain other characters. Imagine, for example, if the Aether Experiment was skillgated, and 'whether something happened' hinged on the presence of a combined total of 50,000 ranks of Summoning and 50,000 ranks of Bardic Lore. If the combined group did not have that skill requirement, should we have skipped responding entirely, or simply killed everyone in the room? Barred everyone from their guilds, or thrown everyone in prison for endangering the public for failing the experiment?

To repeat my position -- I do not want to see ranks be the gate for storytelling. I want ranks to be a consideration for how players coordinate challenges, but not a threshold for "You must have scripted this many ranks before you are able to participate in this event or discussion about planar theory". That said, I am of course interested in hearing how you feel additional challenges can be incorporated into our stories! Just not why ranks should translate to RP victories or outcomes for individual PCs to bypass a storyarc.

As a possible point of clarification, this outlook is not because we, the GMs, do not understand how ranks work, or how many ranks people have, or how long it takes to grind out those ranks. It is because we see, and want to encourage, good RP, good storytelling opportunities, and the possibility for good interactions, from players of all different ranks.

So, that all said, it sounds like there is a desire for PvGM opportunities that operate within the confines of the combat systems, using ranks and stats and gear as the contests. We can absolutely provide those opportunities, and I think that is a great suggestion for a different kind of event, one that does, in point of fact, bar some PCs from participation, while allowing others to be the heroes. But, until we hear differently, Guildleaders are not the place for that sort of conflict, and it is unlikely that we will see PCs calling out, and winning against Guildleaders. Guildleaders and other NPCs will continue recognize PCs on their roleplaying merits and participation in events. If a Guildleader requests aid in protecting a town, and a PC or group of PCs goes above and beyond in doing so, that will lead to recognition.

That said, the conversation topic of "Should PCs be able to surpass Guildleaders" is getting off topic with respect to the intent of this post and may be better suited for a separate discussion thread, one I will gladly continue to participate in if desired. I have heard your desire for more rank vs rank opportunities, and we will think of ways to provide that. I do not have the authority to decide to change the current outlook of whether Guildleaders (or any given story element) is something that PCs should be able to surpass. Respectfully, lets get back on track with discussing what sort of events or responses we can provide for you guys.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 10:27 AM CST
Honestly, I don't think that there are anywhere near enough consequences to actions in-game.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 12:57 PM CST
In terms of player run events, if I would ever come up with an idea that GMs like, I would like to see a few things happen. Ideally, i would like to see a single yellow string of text that expands even slightly on existing game lore, anything GMs would like, or for GMs to take over the idea completely and run with it.

I know that is unrealistic given that GMs have limited time, but that is what would happen in my ideal world.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 01:50 PM CST

Can you clarify what you mean by that? We have responded to a great number of player run events with far more than a single string of text.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 03:27 PM CST
The Events team have responded very well to player ideas. All I meant was that the GM response doesn't even have to be that big to be very much appreciated.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 04:31 PM CST
Possibly stupid question. What's a good way to notify the events team that there's something going down that it would be good/interesting to have GM involvement in? Email? To what address? What sort of information should be included?

I ran an event a few months ago that I was hoping to have involvement in, and got none. Not especially upset about that. But I want to run a follow-on, perhaps more than one, and for various reasons it would be not just difficult but nearly impossible to do so without some sort of GM involvement.

L. Kersauzon
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 04:56 PM CST
>> Possibly stupid question. What's a good way to notify the events team that there's something going down that it would be good/interesting to have GM involvement in? Email? To what address? What sort of information should be included?

dr-events@play.net
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 05:41 PM CST
First of all, thanks for opening this up for discussion, Koror.

I'd like to preface everything I'm about to say with this: I appreciate the GMs and the events team and all the work that goes into running even what seems like a small event. Sometimes it seems like you guys are practically everywhere at once, and it never fails to make me smile when an innocuous comment or reaction to what I assume is atmospheric messaging results in a response. I can't understand everything that goes on behind the scenes in regards to running and supporting events, which makes it maybe a little harder to formulate 100% useful feedback, as something that seems simple to me might be ridiculously complicated GM-side. I will say that, in general, the events team have been doing a great job at responding to things that players instigate. It's always a joy when this happens, whether my character is involved or I'm reading logs of other people's events. This has definitely been a good few years for GMs picking up and running with stuff started by players, which is always awesome. Keep it up!

Now then, for my specific answers to your questions:

What I'd like to see more of:
I would love to see more player agency. Perune already touched on this in his post, and I agree with everything that he's said. From what I understand, based on this conversation and others, the two biggest obstacles in the way of giving more agency and responsibility to players are worries about favoritism ("What if these other players get angry and complain if Bob is chosen to be the Prince's champion instead of them?") and worries about trust ("what if we put our trust in Bob as the Prince's champion and plan on him being a central player in a big event only for him not to show up?"). These are both valid worries, and I understand the want to prevent them. But the benefits of attempting to completely safeguard against them in every situation are not worth the cost of the resulting restrictions and OOC red tape that seriously hinder organizing and running player events. It oftentimes feels like the creative potential for events without the need for a GM NPC is artificially and intentionally limited because there's a chance that someone, somewhere, might get a little jealous.

>>"As a possible point of clarification, this outlook is not because we, the GMs, do not understand how ranks work, or how many ranks people have, or how long it takes to grind out those ranks. It is because we see, and want to encourage, good RP, good storytelling opportunities, and the possibility for good interactions, from players of all different ranks."

It seems like this is what GMs and players want. But in order to let this happen, we need to loosen up on some of the restrictions around what PCs are allowed to do and not worry so much about favoritism.

Additionally, I don't think that players are generally asking for their PCs to be able to do things like destroy moons, punch out GLs, or single handedly win the big war when we ask for more player agency and impact on the world. Although, it should be noted that things of this scale shouldn't be considered off the table, either, as they have already been allowed to happen in some instances (see Maelshyve and previous examples of PCs killing major NPCs, including GLs). To use my own PC as an example, she and Zhirrisk, another PC, were responsible for the creation of an altar, after a very long time of pushing for one and building events around that concept. As far as I'm aware, this didn't result in a coup of upset players angry about favoritism. Another example of a player taking on a star role is Asrea having a personal role in the fall of Lyras. There was a Necromancer PC who got to have a world-wide vision based around them for being Chosen by that lich guy. The creation of the Chrysalis for HE 410 was instigated by PCs. PCs got to get pretty heavily involved during the Elpalzi war. This sort of stuff happens and has happened; we just want to see more of it! And, IMO, getting to see a PC take center stage in matters that the character is heavily involved in anyway is always worth the small and kinda inconsequential risk of maybe a handful of people getting salty. What are those people contributing in return? Is guarding their potential hurt feelings really worth it?

In regards to the "chosen player doesn't show up" scenario, again, I don't think the risk is worth restricting or foregoing player agency entirely. A player with a proven investment and dedication to RP is not the same sort of person who is going to disappear without a word at the last second. If a participating character is shaping up to be "spotlight" material based on initiative, level of involvement, and/or other factors, then just pull them aside and speak with them openly about the responsibilities that come with accepting a key role in the event, then keep them in the loop when it comes to planning important dates. I think that sort of open communication would go a long way and help build trust between players and GMs.

The idea of allowing PCs to assume positions of responsibility was brought up in last summer's SoE. I truly and honestly hope that you guys will consider picking that up and running with it! Like Perune said, more players given agency and key positions across the provinces means that we can build more life and push events in those places while supporting GM story lines and helping to shoulder their workload. We'd love to help!

I've already spoken a lot, but the other thing I'd like to see more of is lasting and serious consequences for RP, especially for characters regularly engaging in villainous, radical, and/or other kinds of socially taboo behavior. Perune and Liurilias both brought up some good ideas. I'd love to see more of this, beyond excommunication. Honestly, seeing the Red Buzzard come back into use would be a dream come true to me. Here are some additional thoughts:

1) Permanent disfigurement (forced feature alterations, like the ones caused Beezell... but unable to be instantly cured by an Empath) and/or brands or scars, the latter of which could additionally be magically cursed to either provide some kind of magic-debuff (lowered Attunement cap, temporary mana-blindness, or exp penalty), or periodically pulse a chunk of spirit/attunement/vitality damage.

2) Being cut off from one's guild confound. An Empath forced into a state of artificial perma shock. A moon mage barred from access to Grazhir shards and astral travel. A Cleric losing access to all Divine Intervention spells.

3) For those PCs who like to flirt with Necromancy and commonly back up Necromancers against the Immortals, loss of favors and the inability to gain more. The inability to be raised by Clerics (the gods just go "Nah, not that guy.")

4) Traders fined heavily and potentially blacklisted from town markets due to the overt selling of black market contraband (like neatly labeled Necromancer and Sorcery spell scrolls...)

5) On the flip side, overly inquisitive Necromancer hunters could and probably should end up on a slab for experimentation, mutation, and/or parts butchery. Make more use of the forced DO that was applied to people during the Maelshyve events.

6) Bounty hunter and vigilante NPCs who try to take down active criminal PCs and bring them to justice.

Some of these would obviously require a lot of work. These aren't for any and every time a PC does a naughty thing. Like any other long-term RP response, they would be saved for continuous and consistent villainous behavior.

>>"Caveats here include the reality that players get really upset (rightfully so, maybe!) at the idea of having their desired play time hindered by consequence."

Somebody choosing to roleplay a character in an overtly and intentionally deviant manner should not only not be upset by these consequences, they should be eager to receive them. The Cleric PC spoken of recently in the conversation is a great example. In my PC's earlier days of villainy, she was banned from like 90% of an entire province for her actions. Honestly, I think she should have received even more backlash than that. Caveat radical.

If you're really worried about a player having a fit about permanent consequences, it might be prudent to pull them up and let them know that if they continue their current direction of role play choices, it could end up with something very serious happening to their character.

I also think the lasting consequences should go the other way, too. I love it when characters can receive things like custom titles for their efforts. Granting PCs of merit guild artifacts or other unique items when appropriate is something I'd love to see happen. Custom Guardian Spirits, Shield of Light appearances, spell preps, feature changes, or room post-strings are also examples of things that exist right now as MT prizes/alterations and would be fun for players to receive as responses to their actions, involvement, and initiative (again, when appropriate).

What I'd like to see less of:
I agree with several other people who suggested focusing events on more down-to-earth, less reality-shattering, cosmology-heavy plotlines. Inter-provincial strife in particular has gripped me as something that would be a lot of fun for a variety of characters and players... and provide a natural opportunity to start filling up some of those provincial PC positions of responsibility!

Things that discourage me:
I am one of those people who hate invasions. I typically don't find PvE "mob-combat" to be particularly compelling, and the scroll stresses me out. If an event looks like it's going to largely consist of invasion combat, I will reluctantly attend if I feel like it makes sense for my character to participate, but I'll be a little discouraged all the same. On a related note, if I'm going to get gibbed horribly during an event I'd like it to be because I challenged Ciriasa or trash-talked a lich, not because I walked into a room at the same time that a Starlight Harbinger just so happened to initiate its rogue moongate special. I understand that overcoming the challenge of a massively overpowered boss monster is just the sort of danger and excitement that some players crave, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them... I just would like to move from room to room during an invasion without worry of being splattered across time and space because I got unlucky. It's not a deal breaker, just kind of annoying.

At any rate, this is why it's really nice when there are alternative avenues for participation during invasions. I love it when a dark god is invading and I can have Whiteburn do her thing by trying to shepherd people to the temple and lead them in prayer. It's a win-win situation, as it's what Whiteburn would naturally do, and it allows me, the player, not to have to deal with the chaos of the actual invasion while still feeling like I'm engaging with the event in a meaningful way.

Thanks for reading and for participating in this discussion.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 05:53 PM CST
>>Caveats here include the reality that players get really upset (rightfully so, maybe!) at the idea of having their desired play time hindered by consequence.

100% true. I just hope the player base someday comes to accept that for real agency to be given to them, they're going to have to accept real consequences.

>>Imagine, for example, if any Necromancer that hit circle 200 could kill an Immortal. Or any Moon Mage that hit circle 200 could simply destroy a Moon.

For myself, I am not advocating that Events be gated by ranks or that a 200th circle any-Guild be capable of literally anything. Not at all. Only that in the course of PCs gaining power, growing legends, and pushing any story: ranks in fact, do matter. They're how characters compare to another on a basic level, including comparisons to GM NPCs, and most of the plots are, of course, conflictual in nature.

To talk more about what then should be gating Events or Agency, I move typically in this direction, with the caveat that no two situations are the same and circumstances > all:

1. Is the player/s taking initiative? Are they coming up and attempting a thing or do they expect to be handed something? Some people play the game very casually, others don't. But often, taking initiative to do something of your making is worth far more than waiting for a GM to develop the entire plot on their own. Things like the creation of Drogor's altar are an awesome example of this, IMO.

2. As mentioned before, "Grounded in Reality." Is the thing possible within the physics of the game world?

3. Reputation as a Player: Does Staff believe that, based on this persons reputation, the person is responsible enough to handle such agency/responsibility?

I'm sure I could come up with more given time, like Ingenuity, Time Investment, Longevity of Potential Results, and so on.

>>That is a key difference between a game like The Witcher and DragonRealms.

I agree with you on most of the points regarding single-player story-telling and large multiplayer roleplaying. However, consider the fact that even in DR events as they stand today.. some people are the Fellowship of the Ring and some people are the dead Gondorian soliders entirely unremembered. If I discuss the final battle against Lyras with people, people remember Asrea getting the link, Malzard delivering the killing Burn, and Sebastienne running off with the scythe. But my PC who was there and assigned to protect an NPC(both of whom were utterly obliterated early on in the battle) are completely forgotten. Some PCs will still manage to be Aragorn or Frodo despite the fact its a large multiplayer game. No one can do anything about that.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 05:55 PM CST
I do not want PCs being the center of the attention. I think it's ok for them to start a RP idea, but I want anything big to be done by GMs and NPCs.

I think PCs being the center of attention would cause a sense of favoritism and the game should avoid giving this appearance. At the end of the day, why create unnecessary frustration for people who are paying to play a game.

I'm also against increasing RP repercussions for three reasons. First, this would ultimately result in GMs spending their time dealing with more interpersonal conflict. Second, if repercussions are too hard, it would have the opposite effect that people want, that is it would decrease RP participation. Third, this is ultimately a game and people play games so that they can be creative and do things that their real life counterpart would not do. The idea of permanent RP repercussions would dissuade some from playing.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 07:18 PM CST
Some of this has been covered, but I thought I'd voice my thoughts as a long time player who's stopped in recent years, but still kicks around on a F2P account. I tried posting this on reddit but basically got told to take a rousing 'go f myself' so I'll post here.

I played prime for 5-10, plat for 5+, never really made much leveling progress.

Overall I always felt outclassed. Normally the power level was 'Dragon Ball Z' while I was like 'beyblade?'. A lot of it is tied up in old design ideas since that's when I played, but it seemed to come down to player scripting ability - just stay logged in long enough to grind out levels and be powerful enough to throw your weight around. There rarely seem to be functional tasks to accomplish, like hunting for widgets or crafting widgets. On the rare occasion said activities were around they just kind of got dropped in and abandoned until the GMNPC could come and auto-complete them (are the 'donation tables' still out near the crossings guard shacks...?).

I like Destiny 2's version of player story interaction. It's an on-rails event that doesn't really pretend to be anything else, but several times in the game 'world first' has opened new content as a whole (Dreaming City, Niobe labs). The World of Warcraft 'gate' is another infamous example - it's not like they weren't going to release the content but it let players feel engaged to craft a ton of bandages and do quests.

Basically in any DR related event I always felt like an NPC. Getting told 'oh you can scout' or 'oh you can drag corpses' or similar. That's not fun, or heroic. Especially not when someone just spam-runs, grabs everything and instant maps it with scripts in a reporting-through-gweth macro and instant-rezzes all the corpses for you with the alt farm.

A lot of the time DR simply feels like a competition of scripting engines, and writing content that helps players who want to script less interact is hard. But opening up venues of contribution for people who aren't already master crafters, thieves, combatants, etc., would be nice. But it has to tie back into something meaningful. If I contribute 500 widgets but Joebob kills the big-bad, one of us gets rewards and 'interaction', while the other doesn't.

Also, the big-bads normally come off a bit cartoonish I guess? Either they're children's cartoons of 'I'll get you next time' with a fist shake, or they're level 201 immortal things. It contributes to the difficulty of taking events seriously since we know the NPCs will just bounce around until the story arc requires a permanent death.
Re: Events and you! 02/20/2020 07:44 PM CST
HASTALUEGO said..

3. Penal Colony action where they're forced to earn their way out via some sort of daily slave labor, which could be crafting skills that provide something for them worthwhile to do.

I dont care if my characters sit there for awhile as long as I have the option to get my items, or the hidden way out is returned.

All I'd love to see is the Penal Colony & the "effects" on Mer'kesh on S'kra's is returned to the way it used to be. The only effect I can remember offhand was the tail yanking with its RT, the reason I was basically given for the effects to be removed was HLC that trained there found them irrating.
Well, its my understanding not as many folks train there anymore, & if any effects had a RT maybe it could be removed? Or just find another way if the tail pulling was the only one to remove it & put another non RT effect in its place?

I really want to take my s'kra back there, they love going to Hara & bugging the corsairs. But its just a waste of my time to go there now, the effects at least gave me a reason to rp with no one (Hey Elizz was crazy, now she ancient so she can be even crazier) which never bothered me, I didnt mind having my chars reacting to area effects even if no one was there to see them.

Please please please, I've been begging for a couple years now to get Kresh's s'kra effects along with the penal colony reopened along with its hidden escape. Please?
Re: Events and you! 02/21/2020 09:47 AM CST

I feel something may have been lost in translation, and that is my fault. I feel that when I said, basically, "We can't let characters destroy Katamba", that was interpreted as "We cannot let players impact the game world." When I spoke about fairness and the need to provide equal opportunity for all players, I feel that may have been interpreted as "We cannot recognize the good work players do." So, to clarify --

I feel that we have, and should continue, to allow players to have lasting impact on the game world, both by responding to their ongoing RP efforts AND by roping them into our planned stories. While DR is an MMO and thus everyone cannot be Geralt of Rivia, one of the shining strengths of the game -- being text, being smaller, having such dedicated roleplayers and talented GMs to whip up code for our eventing needs (thanks!), -- is that we can provide something approaching an individually tailored pen-and-paper-like experience. I say approaching both because we do not live at our computers (and neither do you), and also because the table is much larger than a typical D&D sessions. While we are still bound by the reality of the game being a persistent MMO, we can look to good RP and solid ideas/plans/events and do something with them. Where the boundaries of that "something" falls will vary, hence the guidelines I provided.

Relating to that, the notion of favoritism is thrown around a lot. We absolutely recognize the efforts of people who go above and beyond, and we do what we can to respond to them accordingly. The concern of favoritism is, in my view, less that we are prohibited from responding to people who put in the effort, and more that we are unable to give everyone what they propose. This again goes back to the guidelines I provided. If someone has demonstrated that they have put in the legwork and done what they can to promote activity and foster RP with other players, you better believe we will do what we can to support it, within reason. And again, these are not hard and fast rules -- we will respond to a single person or pair of people doing a thing somewhere on their own, if appropriate.

The concern with favoritism is that if everyone gets what they ask for, it would be utter madness. Remember that for every person suggesting we dedicate an altar to Drogor, there is someone suggesting we allow demons to dance on Drogor's corpse. Who gets what they want when two proposed outcomes are completely at odds? Accordingly, we have to be careful with what we can do. Whiteburn created an altar after *a lot* of hard work. But surely you understand why we could not support every example of want around altars or demons. In my view, concerns of favoritism tie more to the coherence and accessibility of the game event scene than to concerns that any given player will be featured prominently. And everyone is convinced that they have put in the work and are correct in what they are suggesting.

The point being if your event proposal is "I do a thing, and Katamba explodes," chances are Katamba will still be here at the end of our response. That is not, I maintain, denying player agency. Often some of the easiest response can be to invade with some critters, or maybe try something new like suggesting some facet of the lore that is less known or actually entirely new, maybe hit you with a series of visions and flavor text, maybe tear a hole in reality and let you figure out what it means. I hope that what we throw at you serves as further discussion or fodder to produce more RP, but of course, sometimes we miss the mark. Hence my desire to make this post, and get some more ideas from you. But, generally speaking, we can provide as much player agency as we can, and that has limits.

As a quick summary -- we have, and will continue to put players in the spotlight when appropriate. We have, and will continue to respond to, events and where appropriate, allowing those events to impact the gameworld.

With respect to consequence of RP, this is a mixed bag. From my observation of the matter behind the scenes, I would say that a lot of people say that they want it, and after the fact realize that they do not. I am more than onboard with some of the things listed by SASSERSASS, but will have to see what is allowable given the game's history.

HASTALUEGO:

>If I discuss the final battle against Lyras with people, people remember Asrea getting the link, Malzard delivering the killing Burn, and Sebastienne running off with the scythe. But my PC who was there and assigned to protect an NPC(both of whom were utterly obliterated early on in the battle) are completely forgotten. Some PCs will still manage to be Aragorn or Frodo despite the fact its a large multiplayer game. No one can do anything about that.

I hear you on that, and we can do more to provide opportunities for heroism. I admit that due to feedback I had seen from previous events with boss villains that I had simply avoided featuring them -- we can absolutely make some GMPC villains to both murder and be murdered by role-players.

ELWYNN:

>I'm also against increasing RP repercussions for three reasons.

Generally, "permanent" repercussions would be things that we would allow appropriate redemption from. For example, if we issued a full guild ban, we would also explain what steps would be required to lift the ban. Also, we would generally inform you ahead of time that the thing you were doing may lead to serious consequence, etc.

Basically, we would try and treat even repercussions as opportunities for more RP possibilities.

PURHEART:

>Please please please, I've been begging for a couple years now to get Kresh's s'kra effects along with the penal colony reopened along with its hidden escape. Please?

I can look into this, but admit I am unfamiliar with this one.

Generally speaking, I doubt we will be utilizing consequence that locks a player in place indefinitely.
Re: Events and you! 02/21/2020 01:55 PM CST
There are many here speaking to the consequences of being evil. Yeah, there must be these, and I have enjoyed every single one of them.

However, there are consequences for all actions good or evil. There must be dangerous consequences for supporting The Inquisition. I mean think about it, it's an organization that specializes in hunting down and killing individuals. What happens when the townspeople get tired of said Inquisitor and decide that they are just as much of a problem as the Raise the dead Necromancer that is pestering their town? What if said townspeople revolt and kill everyone? They do outnumber us.

There are dangers to being a Necromancer, there are also dangers to being that foaming at the mouth fanatic Inquisitor we all know!

So I say everyone should get to have consequences!
Re: Events and you! 02/21/2020 02:10 PM CST
>> So I say everyone should get to have consequences!

I am a huge proponent for more RP-related consequences, provided it's in the context of and in response to actions taken by the character(s) in question.

I play one character: a necromancer. It's awesome. That said, 100% of my RP does not revolve around BEING a necromancer, or at least it shouldn't.

- I
Re: Events and you! 02/21/2020 02:33 PM CST
Being a Necromancer is just a bonus!
Re: Events and you! 02/21/2020 04:29 PM CST
DR-Koror..

Generally speaking, I doubt we will be utilizing consequence that locks a player in place indefinitely.

No no no, I dont want to be locked in place indefinitely, I think the longest I spent in the colony before escaping was a couple days. This was back in 06 maybe a touch earlier. There used to be a "hidden" way out, you had to search out & climb a ladder or vine or something then run through a hunting area? Its been a very long time & my memory is very much shot on the specifics, I'm sure Leyana or one of the other "Old time" GMs can fill it in. Or I think I still have my paper binder of maps & such, somewhere, that might have my notes in it.

I want to say the time frame for a simple store theft was 7 days? But it wasnt RL time if I remember right, I want to say it was IG time but I never lasted. There was absolutely nothing to do in the colony, this was well before crafting. So if you want to throw some seaweed up on the shore, or that we could find to braid, heck thats better than nothing. I get the reasoning behind being able to do nothing there, thats why I think the hidden escape route was added.

And the S'kra effects? Please see if they can be brought back? I've spoken to Leyana in discord about it before but I've given up on discord for a bit for other reasons.
Re: Events and you! 02/22/2020 07:06 AM CST

What a great Thread this has been. One thing i think that can be taken away from all this is, There is a very big interest in RP, And two, People want more of it.

Having this thread move around varying different topics, ide like to weigh in.

In-game consequences...
For me consequences has been a defining aspect of my RP. And mostly they have been personal consequences. Weather its been taking a death from being mouthy, or not being able to participate in an event because of my stance on certain LORE. These are guidelines i hold for myself, so i can stay true to my character.

I would very much like to see more consequences like what we have seen in the past. And personally I'll take any consequence weather its good or bad.

In my opinion, the seemingly relaxed attitude of GM's being reluctant to hand out these, has created the somewhat stale and stagnant attitude we have in DR these days.

I very much feel we have gone way to far in the other extreme in trying to make everyone happy and for people to not have a less than fun experience in DR.

There is a very easy way to not have consequences.... Dont do things that could bring these about for your character. But, im reading a bit to much of an attitude from some that they want their cake and want to be able to eat it as well.

An example im reluctant to use because Inneth.... i like you a lot and you do some great things for the game, but I just find this statement very frustrating, and a prime example of the cake and eat it to.

Inneth said.
>>I play one character: a necromancer. It's awesome. That said, 100% of my RP does not revolve around BEING a necromancer, or at least it shouldn't.

Yes it absolutely should be 100% of the time, That is who your character is. YOU may not want to be, or your RP might be that you think your not 100% of the time. BUT for Rifkinn and the game environment you are a Necromancer 100% of the time.

Favoritism....
Im slightly concerned that there is an undercurrent that 'favoritism' is being seen as more about being liked and noticed than that of a traditional sense of favoritism being that a person gains access to things that another ordinary person would be entitled to.

And i think peoples fear of this is missing the point.

If someone puts in the work to get around to meeting spots and talk to most people, if they have a consistent RP, if they are vocal and make themselves known, If they take risks on speaking out.... They will normally shine and be recognized within the game. And this again should be encouraged and supported. Most of my time in DR has been spent watching other players, seeing what i like and what i don't like and learning from that. Ive had mentors and in game even sought council from some players through RP.

I am more than happy to see this, We need a hierarchy among the players. These types of 'characters' while in-game they may deserve that, the 'players' have ernt that, and visa versa.

Player hierarchy makes the spot light attainable for everyone, not just GMPC's and gives us something to strive for. It motivates us, If that's something we want. And being the center of attention at times is just a part of that.

Rifkinn
Re: Events and you! 02/22/2020 09:39 AM CST
Just something that I wanted to point out that Rifkinn said.

>>Yes it absolutely should be 100% of the time, That is who your character is. YOU may not want to be, or your RP might be that you think your not 100% of the time. BUT for Rifkinn and the game environment you are a Necromancer 100% of the time.

The only characters in-game who are 100% of the time "one thing" are NPC's. It would be better to say that for certain areas of the game, they only look at the fact that player A is a Necromancer and other places notice something else entirely. For instance, I would say that the majority of players couldn't care less that the PC Rifkinn is a flower collector. I am willing to bet that you enjoy that aspect of the character and you should. It is the little details that get put into a PC that make them really amazing.
Re: Events and you! 02/22/2020 11:53 AM CST
>> Yes it absolutely should be 100% of the time, That is who your character is. YOU may not want to be, or your RP might be that you think your not 100% of the time. BUT for Rifkinn and the game environment you are a Necromancer 100% of the time.

Let's try that again, shall we?

To clarify: I am NOT advocating to make necromancers just like everybody else. It is a hard path, should be a hard path, and I don't want to see a world where there's no differences or consequences for my (the character's) mere existence in the game.

For Rifkinn I am a necromancer 100% of the time. Yep, agreed. I don't expect us to ever sit down for a cup of tea, and I'd frankly be disappointed if we had an encounter out in the world where you didn't immediately try (again) to kill me.

>> ... and the game environment you are a Necromancer 100% of the time.

For the game environment I am NOT a necromancer 100% of the time.
- In some contexts, yes, it matters tremendously.
- In some contexts it should matter MORE than it does now.
- In other contexts it shouldn't matter at all.

That word I keep repeating? Context.

>> That is who your character is.

Identity matters. Choices matter. Nuances matter.

Take Rifkinn the character as an example. Your role in the Inquisiton has very little to do with your profession. And I love that. (The morale crusade of a character in a typically amoral profession -- that's great.)

Looping back to the original discussion: I'm not looking for more "necromancer events". I'm looking for more EVENTS period. I, as a player, want more engagement with the game world. All of it, the good and the bad, with all the consequences that come with it. My profession choice matters, but it does not completely define who my character and everything that he does.

- I