The First Land Herald -- GROUP PREDICTION PLAN POSES GREAT DANGER 05/25/2018 02:43 AM CDT

THE FIRST LAND HERALD

GROUP PREDICTION PLAN POSES GREAT DANGER

427-04-10.

Dear readers, I write to you today to warn you of an imminent threat. Moon Mages Aerathor and Aaoskar have of late been hosting meetings at the Crossing Observatory in order to discuss their plans for a group prediction. I attended the most recent of these meetings in an attempt to learn more of these plans, and I will share what little I managed to obtain.

First, they will attempt a group prediction from within the Astral Plane, the realm that borders both our Plane of Abiding and the Plane of Probability. Their aim is to learn of the origins of the mysterious obelisks used by Moon Mages to connect to the Plane of Probability, by looking "into the past" at the creation of these obelisks -- a rather puzzling aim given that Moon Mages have historically only ever possessed the ability to see into the future. Unfortunately, I was unable to learn more of their plans, because Aaoskar chose to strike me down during my questioning. Aerathor commented, "Moon mages are not nice... Why should we be? I almost did it myself."

To provide some historical context, group predictions have been attempted in the past. All have resulted in catastrophe. Take, for example, the attempt made circa 362, when Moon Mages were struggling with the Mirror Wraith prophecy. A circle of Moon Mages gathered in an attempt to wed their prophetic visions, hoping to divine greater knowledge. However, the only thing they accomplished was opening a rift to the Plane of Probability, out of which came a Shadow Master. This beast slaughtered the mages present and required an army to finally dispatch it. The Moon Mage Council subsequently forbade future attempts at group predictions, proclaiming that they violate the sanctity of the guild.

Nonetheless, at least one more attempt was made. At the Moon Mage Conclave of 412, a mage known as Traim called for a group prediction, despite the strident objections made by his friend Malzard. Traim claimed that adding "mixed mana patterns" might allow a successful result, but once again disaster struck. Although at first the mages received visions, soon after they were visited by none other than Pelag ai Aldam, servant of Fate. His voice was heard, and a rift opened to release an umbral colossus into the gathering. Although the mages attempted to fight back, each blow struck against the colossus split it somehow, creating a tenebraeling, until innumerable shadow creatures swarmed the area and slew many of those present. It took great effort to destroy the creatures and make the area safe again.

Guildmaster Prime Taramaine Braun himself wrote in his book on the Celestial Compact, "All attempts at group predictions [ended] in gateways large enough to allow beasts from the Plane of Probability to escape into our own. We seal this line of study."

I further spoke with Court Mage Miskton of Ilithi to learn more about the potential dangers of Aerathor and Aaoskar's plans. He first confirmed that all recorded such experiments have "gone poorly." He further said, "It might be possible to do it in a way that limits danger for those outside the immediate participants, but it would still be risky... [Limiting the danger] would largely center around... having a great deal of firepower ready and aimed at the group performing the prediction." Aerathor and Aaoskar made no mention of preparing such firepower, I should note, although again I was unable to obtain the full details from them. I might also mention that by holding the event within the Astral Plane, only Moon Mages may attend, seriously limiting the warriors available.

When I probed Miskton about the location of the ritual in the Astral Plane, he said, "In that instance, it would likely be safe for those of us in [the Plane of Abiding]. Casualties would likely be limited to any mages unfortunate enough to be in the Astral Plane at the same time... [but] as soon as Pelag ai Aldam noticed what was going on, I have to imagine he would immediately attempt to destroy the participants." In sum, we may be safe if we do not enter the Astral Plane ourselves, but those inside will be in imminent danger by a being of incredible power. Pelag ai Aldam, as described by Miskton, is "a being... [who] hates anyone with prophetic abilities. He seems to be tied to the Web of Fate in some way, and touching fate seems to enrage him." It is well known that Pelag has the ability to kill anyone unfortunate enough to encounter him.

Furthermore, Miskton warned that, "In the event that the participants can survive long enough, it's possible [holding the ritual in the Astral Plane] might make for an even stronger connection to the Plane of Probability... It could perhaps range from unusually clear visions, to forming enough of a planar breach that the participants end up falling into the Plane of Probability." Mages who might participate should strongly consider this possibility, as it could mean being lost forever in a foreign plane, one dominated by creatures like the Shadow Master.

Ultimately, according to the Court Mage, the danger is very real to those who would participate in this event. It is also forbidden by the Moon Mage guild and might result in official sanctions. I would urge anyone thinking of taking part to reconsider.

Additionally, I must take a moment to address the fact that Aerathor and Aaoskar's aim is "looking into the past." Miskton confirmed that Moon Mages to date have never been able to see into the past; this ability has remained solely the provenance of Bards. As a Bard myself, I can attest that our focus on the past is central to our guild and results in true, embodied experiences in which we can observe historical events as if standing present at them. Such evocation has its own, milder dangers associated with it, but it is completely unconnected to the Web of Fate or the Plane of Probability. I would urge any amateur historians with an interest in visions of the past to connect to the Bard guild, as we may be able to truly and safely help with such matters.

Finally, I must remind us all of the message of Harawep, so recently pressed upon us as dangerous rifts opened in our Plane in 425. She wanted to burn the Plane entirely, to begin again rather than risk Her Web, so said her many priestesses. It was only through great effort that we managed to seal these rifts and prevent Her wrath. These Moon Mages risk not only the ire of Pelag, but Harawep. I call on everyone involved to withdraw support from this endeavor and instead join in prayer to Harawep, so that She may show us mercy and protect the Web without destroying our only home. Mother Whiteburn has agreed to host a gathering at the High Temple's altar to Harawep at the time of the ritual. Join her in preserving our Plane and our lives.

Sincerely,

Navesi Daerthon
Zoluren's Herald
Editor in Chief of the First Land Herald

OOC:

These two events both take place on Sunday, May 27th, at 9:30pm EST. I encourage everyone to choose the one that best fits your character!

Recovering the Past -- Meet at the Taisgath Obelisk.

Preservation through Harawep -- Meet at the altar to Harawep in the Crossing High Temple.