Raid on Maelshyve's Fortress: Liturgy of the Unicorn 03/28/2018 07:50 PM CDT
All interested parties:

In accordance with the Divine Host of Hodierna, we will be holding a communion for prayer and oblation unto the Goddess of Healing.

The service will be held at Hodierna's Solace. Celebrants are encouraged to bring a candle with them as an offering. The Holy Mother watches over us and shields our souls from the vile touch of undeath. It is our turn to show that we stand by Her in kind as we make ready for our crusade against the evil of the Zaulfung.

Hisakna'hhs'Izzu'hhr
Whiteburn

OOC:

When: March 29th, 8 PM EST
Where: Hodierna's Solace. (https://elanthipedia.play.net/RanikMap60) Top left of the map, just below the green block.
If you are a Cleric (particularly a Hodierna Cleric) and want to be involved in co-hosting, please let me know as soon as possible!
Re: Raid on Maelshyve's Fortress: Liturgy of the Unicorn 03/29/2018 12:07 AM CDT
Just a bad time for Rze, otherwise she would be there.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game. Michael Jordan
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/game
Re: Raid on Maelshyve's Fortress: Liturgy of the Unicorn 03/29/2018 09:25 PM CDT
Summary: Celebrants gathered at the site of Hodierna's Solace for a communion in dedication to Hodierna before going to do battle beneath the Zaulfung. Prayers were offered, as well a sacrificial candle which symbolized the souls of the attendees. After some time, the voice of the Divine spoke to those assembled and conveyed that enough words of peace had been spoken and that it was time now to prepare for battle. It appears that the resolve of the crusaders will be sorely tested within the coming days...

[An Ancient Tree]
Brilliant beams of multicolored light stream through irregular stained-glass windows, illuminating the intricate carvings which adorn the walls and dome of this cylindrical living chapel. A single, ornately engraved column grows from the center of the room and rises to meet the delicate arched ceiling. The subtle scent of rich wood and fertile soil heightens your perception of your place in the warm embrace of life.
You also see a fragile-looking book on a simple stand and a circular staircase.
Obvious exits: out.

You say, "Very well, we shall begin then."

You reverently say, "Hodierna, Goddess of Life, She who enkindles the light of mortal life, and guards it from the ravages of undeath... She, who is purity. She, who is Grace. It is by Her Will that allows worthy mortal spirits to travel across the bridge of life."

You solemnly say, "We honor Her name. We sing Her praises. We stand by Her... as She watches over us in kind."

You say, "I will begin this service by reading aloud from the Holy Book of Hodierna, blessed by the Mother."

You say, "All kneel."

As you touch the book, a thrill of holy power surges through your body.
You carefully open the book.

You begin to preach the words of the book to those waiting to hear you:

You read aloud:

Some things we know by understanding, and thus accept as truth.
Some things we know as truth, and thus by our acceptance come to understand.

Within the central heart, there are some born for whom truth burns bright by their
unquestioned acceptance of the gods and the divine word that they know in their
hearts. I spent some time with a community of such individuals, in a land far from my home.
This community painted and sculpted, sang and recited, and danced their truth.

By this they brought answers to those that feared and wished to know before they
would accept the great truths of the universe. So among them I journeyed and studied,
and bring with me now such an example, as brought me to see as they know.

You carefully turn the pages of the fragile book to read upon the second page aloud:

A sound stirred
earth warmed
droplets formed like thoughts
upon a harsh dark
cold nothing
moved across the slate
and there in motion come
spark and fire
hope, desire
longing, reaching
the spiral bridging
nothing and all
a thread of soul silk
spun of light
all colors dissolved and mixed
and weaves the substance
of raptured Life.

You carefully turn the pages of the fragile book to read upon the third page aloud:

With the immutable form
of unicorn
gallops forth the soul
her horn
of life-sound
held before to connect
the spirit and the ground
where as metaphor
she steps and bows
her shape and essence
fills and flows
'til in the dreams
of mortals born
we behold an impossible
truth, the Lady's form.

You carefully turn the pages of the fragile book to read upon the fourth page:

Not to be caught
or ever held
the myth of planes
and worlds agree
but Innocence's belief
in what cannot be
makes the unicorn
pause to stay
and lay her head upon the knee
in gift of trust
that mortals value
such a fragile shift
of motion, that in a fracted glance
may come and go
the resplendent pleasure of our knowing
in Abiding the tenacious, but tenuous, "Be."

You carefully turn the pages of the fragile book to read upon the last page:

By my hand, recorded, for those of us in the plane of
Abiding, so lives the waking spark, and thus the knowing our breath fans the
flame of spirit to life, whilst Hodierna grants it so.

You nod quietly, as you conclude the reading.

You say, "So mote it be. As our Blessed Mother ignites the spark of the spirit to flame, so it is our duty to protect that which is most Sacred from the corruptive stain of all that would seek to defile it."

You hold a wolf-bone unicorn statue high into the air for all to see.

(Oscearo simply remains still and quiet, though her lips move silently.)

You say, "All of us, who go to battle against the evils that seek to despoil the Divine... that of necromancy, sorcery, the demonic, the impure and the sullied... we do so bearing Your magnificent torch, that of life, light, and the spark of the Divine which, in Your all-encompassing grace, have imbued within Your children."

You say, "Lady Hodierna, we go to battle in Your name. Lady Hodierna, we shall allow no foulness of spirit, no corruptive magics, no poisoned blade, to pierce through the light of the Divine."

You say, "You are to us as eternal Mother and Guardian, and we, to You, as Your loyal and faithful children. May we be blessed to feel Your eyes upon us at the time of our crusade. May we feel the fires of the Divine enkindle our souls. May the wicked feel the reaper's scythe. May that which was once despoiled feel the purifying rays of the light of Berengaria."

You say, "All rise. Gather to me, and we shall ascend the stairs for the final portion of this service."

You begin the long trek up the stairs, step by step, stair by stair. The ground below recedes far away as you climb, higher and higher and higher....

You finally reach the top, and flop down from exhaustion.

[An Ancient Tree, Hodierna's Solace]
More a platform than a room, the chamber is lit softly by the glow of hundreds of candles that have been carefully set into niches along the walls. The leaves of the tree's crown block out the night sky, creating a naturally woven canopy that protects the tiny room from the wind and elements. A circular staircase that appears to be sculpted out of the sides of the tree leads back down, winding so far that you cannot see the bottom.
You also see a glossy obsidian symbol and a small carved stone.
Obvious exits: none.

You solemnly exclaim, "We stand within the bower of Hodierna's Solace. Individually, our spirits are weak and fragile flames, guttering in the wind. However, together, as we lift our voices in faith, as we strike out against that which is impure, our flame becomes a beacon of hope for the goodly mortals of this world... that which is reinforced by the might of the Divine!"

You exclaim, "All pray to Hodierna, that She may know the resolve of our hearts and our souls!"

Vastriff recites:

"Goddess of life, morning, and light, as well as springtime, harvest and crops. Farmers, herbalists, healers, and Empaths all venerate her."

You exclaim, "Speak to Her, and She will listen! Look to the Heavens, and She will answer! Strike out against the profane, and lo, may we find that the Unicorn rides with us!"

Perune says, "Lady of Life, I pray your light will guide us in the darkness, that it will lead us to cleanse the tainted, to drive away the mad, to the protection of our souls, and finally, victory in our cause."

You solemnly say, "All those who have brought candles with them, I bid you pass them unto me."

(Oscearo murmurs very softly under her breath before touching fingertips to her forehead, then her heart, then her lips.)

You say, "If you have none, then simply hold your offering aloft."

You get a tall silvery altar candle from inside your caliginous greatcloak.

You quickly flick the switch on the back of the viper, pointing it at a tall silvery altar candle as flames shoot out the creature's mouth, making the candle quickly catch fire.

(Whiteburn passes her claws over the flame of the candle three times, chanting as she does so.)

You chant in a soprano voice:

"Hodierna! Lady of Healing!
Keep our souls in Your care.
With You, we ride to victory.
Mother, with You, we abide."

A distant drumming echoes through the air.

"Berengaria! The Glory of the Dawn
Shall banish the evil and set the dead to their rest.
With You, we shall bring about a new day.
Mother, with You, we abide."

The drumming sound wavers in and out of your hearing.

"Asketi! The Terror of the Night.
Defilers, infidels, the unclean...
Shall feel only the coldness of finality.
Wretched spirits returned to You, within your burlap satchel.
With you, we shall cleanse what tainted.
Mother, with You, we abide"

The cadence of the drumming changes, becoming somewhat faster and just a bit louder.

You put your candle in the small niche.

You exclaim, "All those who have individual prayers to Hodierna, speak so now! May She accept the light of our spirit unto Her embrace!"

Vastriff says, "I am here."

Alagos softly says, "Lady of healing, look kindly upon us."

Isharon reverently says, "Praised be the Lifegiver, who guides our wayward spirits away from the Starry Road. Blessed be the Dawnbringer, Herald of the daystar, whose light shatters the darkness. Hallowed be the Lifereaper, who harvests the souls of the wicked and the faithless."

The light of the candle within the niche flickers in time with the drumming sound.

Perune says, "Holy Lady, we ride to fight your great enemy. May your light cleanse the tainted ones beneath your foe, and guide us onward to victory."

The gentle whisper of the leaves rubbing up against each other fills the small chamber.

Oscearo says, "Lady of mercy, I pray that you hold the lives of these brave ones gently in your hands as they fight for the light, and guard their souls against all trespasses of the darkness."

The sound grows louder, each thudding blow more distinct.

You exclaim, "That which attempted to defile the holy light of Hodierna was banished to oblivion! May it be so once more, and forever! Suffer not the stain of undeath upon the Light of Hodierna! No power is greater than that of the Divine!"

Vastriff recites:

"Lady of healing grant me life"

The crown of leaves overhead begins to shiver and the floor below vibrates as the sound becomes almost unbearably loud.

A high, keening shriek splits the air as the drumming sound abruptly stops!

You loudly exclaim, "May our spirits not waver in the face of our foe! May we stand firm in the light of our faith and in the shadow of the Divine! May Their will be done! May our deeds be pleasing! May the wicked be struck down! May the power of the Holy be known and praised for all time!"

Vastriff recites:

"Praise the 13"

A distinct scent fills the air, a tinge of something coppery and the earthy scent of freshly turned earth.

You solemnly say, "I will conclude this service with a hymn to our Mother. May She hear our plea, and may all of Her blessed aspects be pleased."

A sudden chill in the air as all the warmth in the room leaves in a sudden updraft.

"Hodierna, mild mistress of life, light, and morning.
Turn the dark face of Asketi away.
Favor your folk in the budding and borning.
Hasten the dawning that heralds the day."

The air then warms again just as quickly as a meadow-scented gust of air flows down through the leaves.

"Strengthen our hands in the seasons of sowing.
Guide where to plant, where to prune or entwine.
Send showers for seedlings, Your West Wind a-blowing,
Full hives full of honey, set flowers on vine."

"Wild grows the North Wind, we hark to its warning.
Guard flocks and fields from death and decay.
You spill forth Your splendor, all prophecies scorning
Golden the meadows - we plant, You repay."

A soft whispering sound echoes in from somewhere above the top of the tree, almost words but not quite.

"Reap us Your harvest, Your grain overflowing,
The fruit on the limb and the ear on the stalk.
You gladden our gleaning, Your bounty bestowing,
The earth yields its treasure where'eer You walk."

Vastriff recites:

"Blessed Hodierna"

"Hodierna, mild Mistress of Life, Light, and Morning,
Asketi, in time, will hunt down Her prey.
Favor Your folk in the budding and borning,
Hasten the dawning that heralds the day."

(Whiteburn bobs her head briefly.)

You quietly say, "Amen."

Sophrona says, "Amen."

The soft voice continues its murmuring without becoming any more distinct.

A slight gain in volume enables certain words to become distinct within the steady flow of sound.

"Battle. To battle. There is no peace."

"Words are words. Strengthen yourselves."

You solemnly say, "So mote it be."

The voice grows quieter.

The candles flutter, causing the shadows of the room to scatter.

Hanryu says, "Auspicious."

One last sound filters in. A sigh as if the sky itself were grieving.

The altar candle in a small niche goes out and crumbles away.

Isharon says, "I believe it is time to make good on the sacrifice."

You exclaim, "The voice of the Divine speaks. Our service concluded. We go to battle with the blessing of the Divine... and we shall rend the profaned spirits of evil in twain!"

You say, "That is all."

Isharon says, "I go to make sacrifice. May She find my spirit worthy of protection."

With a massive crash that leaves the carved stone itself ringing, the drumming sound begins and quickly recedes.

Hanryu says, "I'll adjust my orlog for the raid. Safe paths till then everyone."

You say, "She shall know our resolve by our trials."

Perune asks, "Before I depart, would any care for Unicorn primers to acquire favors?"

Alagos says to you, "Not all trials are physical, may be judged by more than the strength of our blades."

A soft warm glow bathes you momentarily and you feel a pleasing sensation of comfort and happiness.

Alagos softly says, "Lady of Peace, see fit to guide us to the proper use of our strength."

You say, "We hear You, Mother. Your will be done. Our words shall be echoed in the drums of war and the cries of the wicked as they are struck down."

Rafano thoughtfully says, "The Voice speaks true . . . the Hunt is coming the call will soon sound. Hail, Lady of the Fields, we soon ride to pluck the weeds."

A distant shrieking call carries back to you as the drumming sound finally fades to nothing.

Oscearo softly says, "They are weeds with very deep and spreading roots. May the divine light of Hodierna grant you all strength."

You say, "We are finished here. Should you wish to stay and make silent communion, you may feel free to do so, of course."
Re: Raid on Maelshyve's Fortress: Liturgy of the Unicorn 03/29/2018 10:50 PM CDT
Was the book in the solace invoked?

Re: Raid on Maelshyve's Fortress: Liturgy of the Unicorn 03/31/2018 10:21 PM CDT
Special thanks to Janora for keeping those of us, who stayed and prayed at the temple in Riverhaven, updated on the battle with her familiar.