Raid on Maelshyve's Fortress: Defense Against the Dark Arts 3/24 03/18/2018 09:10 PM CDT
All interested parties:

In preparation for the upcoming assault on Maelshyve's Fortress, the Anduwen Watch would like to invite any who wish to polish up on defensive tactics and countermeasures for the upcoming raid. The incursion is expected to meet stiff resistance, both from Maelshyve's creatures as well as those nihilistic few who have given themselves over to her worship.

The meeting will occur at the Riverhaven Meeting Hall. Whether you are uncertain about how to best protect yourself, or if you have experience to share, your presence is welcome as we make these preparations.

- Saragos

OOC:

When: March 24th, 8 EST
Where: Riverhaven Meeting Hall, River Road East, through the oakwood door
Re: Raid on Maelshyve's Fortress: Defense Against the Dark Arts 3/24 *LOG* 03/28/2018 04:08 PM CDT
This is a heavily and hastily edited log of the meet the other night, for those who wanted to come but could not attend. Enjoy!

[Hunter's Meeting Room]
Skins and busts from various animals are arranged the low walls of the meeting room, and small ferns grow in stone pots in one corner. Several rows of high-backed benches are arranged in the center of the room, each roughly carved from sturdy strips of waterproofed oak. A small window looks out on the river below, giving a distant view of the far bank.
You also see a turkey leg wrapped in bacon, an oakwood door and a speaker's podium.
Also here: Duskruin Arena Hero Dyerase, Collain, Web Healer Aislynn who is sitting, Arcane Lord Tirost, Inquisitor Whiteburn who is emanating a malevolent holy aura, Expert Trader Rafano, Life Weaver Karthor, Karaagel Olinslag, Dragon Shielder Vykanthiss who is sitting, Duskruin Arena Champion Aerathor, Fickle Wind Qiyan, Saaqib who is sitting, Temple Maiden Rze, True Bard Navesi, Knight Magister Saragos and Mazrian.
Obvious exits: none.

Saragos says, "Ok, Let's get this thing started."
Saragos says, "So, welcome, all! Tonight we're going to discuss how best to defend ourselves against the opposition we'll face in the raid on Maelshyve's Fotress."
Saragos says, "It's a grim business, and dangerous. Some of us will likely fall. It's a good bet we'll face opposition over and above what's normally in there. But the cause is one of the best ones out there. Worth our blood and sweat."
Saragos says, "We can't be too ready for this. Might be that Maelshyve and her minions throw everything they've got at us, so it's best to be ready for anything. And ready for the hardship."
Saragos says, "This can't be a master class on combat, obviously, with the time we have. But if we're all on the same page, we'll do well. This area is difficult to navigate, and dangerous. We need to count on getting split up, on some of us falling. And know what to do about it."
Saragos asks, "So, first things first - what do you need to have prepared in advance?"
Rze says, "Weapons."
Qiyan exclaims, "Amens to yer god of choice!"
Vykanthiss says, "Blessings."
Saaqib exclaims, "Goblin anger!"
Aislynn quietly says, "Many copies of the Uncurse scroll."
Aislynn makes a grunting noise.

Vykanthiss says, "Rage is good."
Saragos says, "Blesses are helpful, but not required to hit anything regularly in there. But we don't know what else we'll be facing, so it would be a good idea to come prepared with that."
Dyerase says, "Paladins....and a lot of them."
Tirost says, "Favors. And armor in good repair."
Aerathor says, "Head on shoulders helps."
Navesi says, "Also, bring items of devotion toward Urrem'tier, whom we hope to please. Scorpion beads, for example."
Whiteburn says, "I will bring many scorpion beads."
Saragos says, "The Protection From Evil spell will also be helpful for getting in, and avoiding a curse at one point. We'll have to gather up everyone and get casts done when we enter, but if you can bring that capability, it would help."
Whiteburn says, "Should any require offering to Urrem'tier."
Saragos says, "And yes, as mentioned, getting right with your respective gods is a good idea as well. You should be fully prepared to meet them, if it comes to that."
You say, "There are PFE runestones for sale in Shard, I believe."
Saragos says, "And as was mentioned, if we see the Maeldryths, foul children of Maelshyve, they are only able to be killed through the Uncurse spell, as far as we know."
Saragos says, "So, Clerics and others who can cast the spell are welcome."
Dyerase says, "Ahh yes, I remember those foul beasts."
Saragos says, "In addition, any Empaths and Clerics who can assist will be greatly appreciated. Even if you don't want to make the raid, being prepared to take care of casualties would be a great help."
Saragos says, "Other than that, whatever preparations you need to do battle with everything you've got."
Vykanthiss asks you, "'will there be any safe places in there? for ... like, triage?"
You say, "Yes. We've identified some triage spots that we plan to have Bannered."
Saragos asks, "I'll get to that in just a moment. Any questions or comments about preparations?"
Saragos says, "Ah, almost forgot. If you can get your hands on a gweth, it would be helpful."
You say, "Everyone should have a gweth incase you get separated. No exceptions."
Whiteburn says, "I spoke of such briefly at the end of our last meeting, however, I will repeat my words from then. Along with conferring with your own patron diety, take yourselves to an altar, shrine, or other holy place of any of the Triumvirate of Death and make prayers to them, that you may be held under Their divine protection. Calling directly on the Holy Power of Urrem'tier may be draining to the souls of everyone present, so any spiritual protection you may achieve ahead of time will be absolutely vital."
Dyerase says, "I should be in attendance for this journey, I am happy to provide banners where needed."

Saragos says to Whiteburn, "Thank you, Inquisitor. Yes, spiritual preparation is very important."
Saragos says, "So, for the raid itself..."
Saragos says, "We'll be gathering beforehand to give a bit more information as to goals and objectives. We're being a bit cagey about that beforehand so as not to give too much away."
Saragos says, "But we'll have an area setup for triage. This, of course, assuming we have people there to work it."
Saragos grins.
Navesi says, "We strongly encourage Empaths and Clerics to attend if you can."
Saragos says, "We'll also be making use of safe areas we create for this purpose."
Vykanthiss asks Navesi, "Even younger ones?"
Navesi says to Vykanthiss, "Depends on how young. There is a rope bridge that requires some skill to cross."
You say, "Definitely depends on how young, otherwise they may spend a lot of time dead."
Dyerase says, "And it is quite dangerous down there. Also getting down there can present challenges."
Navesi says, "I'd say you'd have to be at least a dilettante in the field of Athletics to make it across. But assuming that much, yes, do come. I in particular hope to provide a good deal of protection to everyone as we advance into the fortress, so hopefully they will not have to fight. I can make no guarantees though."
Vykanthiss says, "Perhaps they will be brave enough to risk it for history's sake."
Saragos says, "If anyone needs to know when the raid is, by the way, we've publicized the date. Check your calendars."
Qiyan exclaims, "Who dares cower from the challenge!"
Navesi says, "If they don't feel able to cross the bridge, I suggest staying behind in the Riverhaven Temple to pray for us. But any brave attempt is encouraged."
You say, "There will likely be a few people here praying, so no one should feel ashamed if they can't go."
You say, "My apprentice will be at the Riverhaven temple praying, I believe."

Vykanthiss says, "I'll pass that on."

Navesi says, "Be warned that a failed attempt at the bridge will be painful."
Saragos says, "Absolutely. We shall require the aid of everyone. Those who work triage, or pray, can sometimes be said to be more disciplined in their acts than those who rush headlong into battle."

Whiteburn says, "I cannot stress this enough. The prayers of everyone - both within and without the
Saragos says, "People will get lost. It's impossible to open a Moongate inside of there, so collecting them will be more difficult than normal. But the main group might need to move on as best we can. It's unfortunate, but we won't be able to pause for everyone and still be able to accomplish our goals."
Navesi says, "In general, keep in contact via the gweth. We hope to have someone to collect stragglers, but do your utmost to stay with the group."
Saragos says, "So, watch and listen to your group leader. He or she will let you know what's going on. This is very important, as there will be some times when it's time to stand and fight, and some times to move. If you take the time to stand and fight when you shouldn't, you'll get left behind."
Navesi says, "But speaking directly to the question of inexperienced triage members, I'd say come if you think you can make it across the bridge. We will protect you well, and I will keep creatures away, though there is always a danger that something unexpected will happen."

Saragos says, "I think it should be obvious why we'd need to keep moving instead of getting bogged down instead of engaged with every creature down there. We'll stay focused on the objectives, but listen to your leader. “
Whiteburn says, "If you keep your wits about you and possess a modicum of athletic ability, you may very well be able to safely make it through the dangers without an excess of difficulty."
You say, "We will be asking that you don't depart."
You say, "Unless you believe everyone is dead and can't get to you."
You say, "If you die, we intend to raise you if possible."
Rze nods.
Navesi says, "We're not certain yet where a departure will take a soul, given that no one has volunteered to die in there. As Perune says, try to keep your soul with your body and allow us to collect you."
Dyerase says to you, "If Maelshyves's creatures kill someone, they may not have a choice. I believe that it is a soul death."
Navesi says, "If you should have to depart, we will just have to locate you. Don't panic, simply stay where you are or make your way to the Temple if you know the way. Be sure you have favor with your god."

You say, "Meaning if you depart prior to the bridge, it will be a pain to reunite you with the group, bordering on unlikely, so keep that in mind."
Saragos says, "When it comes down to it, you have to do what you have to do. But it is possible to Locate in there, and we intend to try to get to people."
Saragos nods to you.

You say, "If you know the way around the Fortress, you could always make your way back however. Largely that is up to your experience."
Vykanthiss asks, "Are the available maps correct, does anyone know?"
Mazrian says, "If you do decide to stay up top after dying, be sure you communicate that. Since people will be looking for you."
Navesi says, "The ones made by Ranik are close, but not quite correct."

Navesi says, "Because those maps are not correct, it is even more highly recommended that you stay with the group if at all possible. Take matters into your own hands at your own risk. We have scouted
Whiteburn says, "I will again stress that should you decide that you cannot make the journey, you may assist in our efforts invaluably by attending those who are praying within the Riverhaven Temple."
Saragos says, "If you know the area well, do your best to try to find the main group. You can also gweth fir help. You can also work your way towards triage. Look out for your allies, too - if you see someone else lost, help them."
Tirost says, "Would it be possible for group leaders to use a countdown before moving if there are engaged enemies in an area? I once had the honor of fighting with Kenamer, and knowning when a leader will move makes it much easier to remain with the group."
You say, "The movement heading into the higher areas will likely have everything cleared and a countdown, no worries."
Vykanthiss says, "I wonder if Sir Kenamer will come."
Navesi says, "Allow me a moment to explain my plan for safety."
Saragos says, "Yes, when appropriate. We've got a number who will be there who are experienced in leading large groups during invasions and such."
Saragos asks, "Any other questions or comments about navigation and communication?"
Navesi says, "We will have someone using magic to prevent creatures from coming into our location, so we will largely be safe during the movement progression. The leader will handle it if we should move into an area that already has some creatures."
Navesi says, "So we may encounter some, but not as many as normal."
You say, "When we finally enter the upper halls, we plan to clear out the demonspawn there for a bit, so that is when some of the real fight will begin."
Navesi asks you, "I imagine we will set up a safe point first for those who wish not to fight, yes?"
Vykanthiss asks you, "Is that in her inner sanctum?"
You nod to Navesi.
You say to Vykanthiss, "Yes."
Saragos says, "So, let's talk about the fighting for a bit."
Saragos says, "If you've been in an invasion group before, it will probably be pretty similar."

Saragos says, "Focus on Area of Effect spells, and ranged weapons. Be prepared to be separated from your weapons."
Qiyan says, "There is no shame in fightin at pole or ranged."
Saragos says, "Ranged will get the job done more easily than melee. Commit to melee or the more stationary spells only when given the word that you'll be camping in that spot for a bit."
Saragos says, "Remember, when targeting spells that you can TARGET AT CREATUREs to hit more than just what's engaged to you. Similarly, you can cast debilitation spells the same way."
Saragos says, "You should keep in mind any Guardian Spirits that are there, though, as they would be subject to that as well."
Saragos says, "One thing you'll often see in a group combat situation is you might not have time to get to things before they drop. Or you might have trouble hitting things."
Saragos says, "Even then, you often can still help with some debilitation spells to keep them locked down.”
Saragos says, "When it's really time to fight, stack your damage sources if you've got multiple spells that can run at the same time, and use your best offense."
Saragos says, "Cyclics that move with you are always great for this."

Saragos says, "Also... try not to get in over your head if you can help it. We'll have all sorts of folks there, so if there's something that's too difficult for you, retreat and let someone else get it. Remember, we might be facing unusual creatures there."

Vykanthiss says, "Unusual...I keep hearing that..."
Vykanthiss asks, "So we can expect the unusual, do you think?"
Mazrian says, "Also remember we don't need to kill everything in there - it's more important to not be a casualty than to make casualties."
Qiyan says to Vykanthiss, "Best to expect it yes."
You say, "I think we can definitely expect resistance. Whether its maeldryths or something else."
Saragos says to Vykanthiss, "We just don't know what we'll be facing. This is serious business. Maelshyve might throw something new and different at us. We might also face some opposition from any Guilded who have thrown their lot in with her."
Saragos says, "So, the Guilded. We may face them as well."
Saragos says, "Necromantic attack will likely come from the shadows, possibly accompanied by zombies and such."

You feel the weight of a staggering but benevolent presence on your shoulders and hear its warm voice intone into your mind:

Defend the gods always, and may they guide and guard your soul in return.
Saragos says, "So be ready with anti-stealth abilities. You can WATCH for them, and AoE spells can affect someone you can't see, as long as you can't hit them."

Karthor peers over the rim of his spectacles.
Saragos blinks.
Rafano blinks.
Vykanthiss cups his hand to his ear.
You gaze upward.

A deep, warm voice says into your mind:

Pray to our Mother, for She harbors love for the realm of abiding. Suffer not the Unclean to stain the light of Hodierna, for they make pits of their souls.
Tirost bows his head and grows still for a moment.

Aislynn smiles.

Navesi glances at Saragos.

Rze murmurs something under her breath you cannot quite hear, and seems to gain strength from it.

Aislynn just kissed a well-polished birch unicorn totem!
You kneel down upon the ground.
Vykanthiss gazes upward.
A sense of uplifting peace lingers after the divinity withdraws.
Whiteburn murmurs something under her breath you cannot quite hear, and seems to gain strength from it.
Aerathor asks, "Anyone else hear that?"

Saragos kneels down.
Vykanthiss gulps.
Navesi nods to Aerathor.
Karthor nods to Aerathor.
Vykanthiss nods to Aerathor.
Saragos continues praying.
Rafano nods at Aerathor, obviously agreeing with his views.
Aislynn quietly says, "Of course."
Aerathor gives a slight nod.
Aerathor grins like an idiot.
Karthor makes a reverential grunting noise.
Dyerase strokes his stubble in thoughtful contemplation.K
You pray fervently.
Tirost quietly says to you, "Fair omen."
Navesi says, "I believe we have been inspired to pray to the Mother of all, Hodierna, in our task."
Whiteburn reverently says, "Praise be to Hodierna, Fair Lady of Life and Renewal. We shall not allow the stain of undeath to taint what is Yours."

Mazrian says, "Well. It seems we'll have a cheering section."
Saragos softly says, "We are blessed by the presence of the divine. They see our works. Take heart that we have been witnessed, and give thanks."

Saragos gives Mazrian a crooked grin.
Navesi says, "Hodierna test us and find us worthy to walk upon Your world. Hodierna, we revere You and
Karthor says to Saragos, "Speakin' of the shadows, may I offer a suggestion fer the stealthy folks? Whenever it's convenient, I don't want to derail ya."
You say, "We have a patron, make sure to pray for favor prior to this battle."
Navesi nods at you, obviously agreeing with your views.
Navesi says, "Pray to our Mother Hodierna for Her protection. Ask for Her favor indeed."
Mazrian quietly says, "She'd better offer her favor. We're doing a hell of a service."
Saragos says, "Indeed. It's humbling."
Rze glares at Mazrian.
Saragos glances at Mazrian.
Whiteburn solemnly exclaims, "Praise be to the Immortals, of Light and Dark. We take this war to the profane in Their name. We shall defend all that is Holy. We shall send the profaned spirits of the abyss to their final end!"
Qiyan laughs!
Vykanthiss blinks at Mazrian.
Aerathor says to Mazrian, "Careful you going to hurt some feelings."
Qiyan gives Mazrian a gentle poke in the ribs.
Mazrian says, "Also, without divine protection we may all die in a swarm of maelshyve spawn."

Aerathor begins chortling at Mazrian.
Mazrian coughs.
Rze says, "Not wise to make demands of the immortals."
Aislynn quietly says, "Any chance of Karszen joining us? He'd send the wretches shrieking."
Vykanthiss says, "Good to have a light
Mazrian gazes thoughtfully at Rze.

Saragos says, "]mazrian May do that anyway, but the juice is worth the squeeze."
You say to Aislynn, "No one has seen him in quite some time. I know not."
Qiyan says to Aislynn, "If you know how to get ahold of him."
Navesi says, "Invite any able warriors interested in preserving our Plane."

Aislynn quietly says, "I'd would imagine Hodierna does. Perhaps She'll send him, after all."
Aislynn smiles.
Qiyan exclaims, "Let us hope so!"
Qiyan asks, "And have that thought when ya pay favor to her?"
Navesi says, "I hope we have made our plans known enough that even those such as Karszen will hear of it, so they may choose to attend if they wish."
You say, "I would not rely on champions of old. Karszen has done his work, we need to do ours."
Whiteburn nods to you.
Aislynn nods to you.
Aerathor says to you, "Well said."
Vykanthiss asks Karthor, "Did you ask your question?"
Whiteburn says, "We must prove ourselves before the eyes of the Gods and cleave to our faith."
Saragos says to you, "That's right. We can't be content to let others solve our problems for us. We're alive, now. It's our turn."
Qiyan exclaims, "Let's do this!"
Karthor says to Vykanthiss, "Nah, it was more a suggestion to make, really."

Saragos says, "Let's finish up with our business, and then perhaps we can end with a prayer to Hodierna."
Saragos asks Karthor, "You had something to suggest about facing stealthy foes?"

Karthor says, "Nah, a helpful tip fer stealthy allies."

Vykanthiss says, "I'm like an empath, I'm all for tips."
Karthor says, "If there's an Empath in their group, ya may want to let 'em get a Persistent Link on ya early. That way you can be healed without havin' to expose yerself."
Vykanthiss winks.
You say to Karthor, "Smart."
Saragos says, "Nothing like fighting with an Empath at your side. You feel unbeatable."
Mazrian says, "That's the truth."
Frankhee says, "Maybe we should stock up on some anti stealthy powder."
Frankhee grins.
You say, "Feel free. It couldn't hurt."
Saragos says, "So, anyway, you think someone's engaged with you, use magic, seartch them out, WATCH them."
Saragos says, "You face another person, remember that they're likely to be protected by wards. Strip those off if you can, and attack with your best attacks. Backed up by debilitation if you can."
Saragos says, "Some zombies might close to melee with you, or they can even shoot bows. I've seen it. Regardless, if you have a spell that pushes things away, be prepared to use it if you have to as well."
Vykanthiss asks, "Saragos, zombies...as necromantic?"
Navesi says, "We don't know if supporters of the demon may turn up. If they do, there are likely to be necromancers."
Saragos says, "We don't have any specific intelligence about Necromantic opposition, but we have to be prepared for it."
Aislynn quietly asks, "They're so ready to throw themselves to their knees to whatever Thing offers them power, neh?"
Saragos says, "Keep in mind, also, that servants of the Demon might not be Necromancers. Further, we know there is a rift of sorts among them."
Rze says, "I don't think most necros wouldn't care a hill of beans about restoring an altar to a god."

You say, "Most probably won't."

Saragos says, "I'd advise that we stay focused on our task. While I take a dim view of Necromancy, if some of them decide to fight amongst themselves for some reason, I'm content to let them so we can accomplish our goals."
Saragos says, "One final thing about the guilded. Practice your suplexes ahead of time. Grappling can be a popular tactic to lock you in place to get killed. Suplexes are a good way to get out when you otherwise can't."
Saragos asks, "That's about it from me, other than the well-wishes and the praying. Does anyone else have any comments?"
Vykanthiss says, "Thank you, you all do great works."

Aerathor says, "Great job guys."

Aerathor mumbles a word of general praise.
Saragos says, "If nobody else has anything, I'll yield the floor to Whiteburn, for an invocation."

Whiteburn drops to one knee, bowing her head in deference.
Navesi kneels down.
Whiteburn chants in a soprano voice:

"Hodierna, Goddess of Life, Keeper of our Souls
Fair Mistress of renewal and rebirth.
Keep us not out of Thy favor, Milady.
Nor let our souls be forgotten, Mother.
For we go to battle in Your name, with eternal praise of the Divine on our lips."

Saragos kneels down.
Rze kneels down and touches her lips with the tips of her fingers.
(Tirost bows his head.)
Aislynn kneels down.
Rafano kneels down.
Maltris kneels down and begins to pray.

"Hodierna, by you, we abide.
Hodierna, by Your light, we thrive.
For Berengaria, the dawn of a new age of purity will rise.
For Asketi, the souls of the damned will fall."
You kneel down and begin to pray.

"Hodierna, Goddess of Life, Keeper of Our Souls
She who kindles the light of hope when all appears forsaken.
Take up our prayers unto Thy embrace.
Grant us the conviction to stand firm in the face of undeath.
And we shall be to Thee as Thy children and Defenders.
As you are to us our Mother and Guide."

Whiteburn reverently says, "Amen."
Navesi says, "Amen."
Rze says, "Amen."