Gorbesh Bugs 05/12/2020 12:39 PM CDT
It seems there may be some bugs with the Gorbesh that have found their way into the old fortresses.

- This move seems like it may not be properly contested. All detrimental effects must be contested and possible to resist. I outclassed the crap out of the offending mage in every way that's measured by APPRAISE (except agility, because apparently they have way more agility than everything else for some reason?). And it seems to always eventually inflict 100% attunement damage instead of having degrees of potency based on level of success in the contest (presumably because said contest is failing to exist). Furthermore, a mage that I had Manipulated still did it to me (verified by robe color...the only other mage present had a different color robe), so at minimum it needs to be updated to respect Manipulate.

A purple-robed Gorbesh mage raises one clenched hand in the air and begins chanting in a strange tongue. A blue-white glow surrounds its hand, and it points at you!
A chilling sensation grips you as some sort of ethereal parasite begins to feed on your magical energy.

- Likewise, the battle spheres have no business being allowed to inflict uncontested damage, especially in such large chunks. This is such an obvious no-brainer that the only sane assumption is that there's a bug somewhere that's preventing it from working correctly. I'd consider the fact that it doesn't respect damage barriers a bug too, because everything that inflicts damage should.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Gorbesh Bugs 05/12/2020 02:00 PM CDT
I'm honestly good with that stuff? They're invasion creatures, so having special tricks we can't "numbers" our way out of seems appropriate and challenging.

Mazrian
Re: Gorbesh Bugs 05/13/2020 07:00 AM CDT
>having special tricks we can't "numbers" our way out of seems appropriate and challenging.

Skills should matter in a skill-based game (invasion or no invasion). It's hard to express in text just how annoyed I am that even more critters are being released with non-skill-check attacks. I also don't really like flex mechanics for similar reasons but at least I can justify that in the name of "everyone can participate". I ran through the area with blend+EM+1450 stealth and they hit me with a mana parasite even though they could not see, point me, or otherwise engage Hanryu.

>They're invasion creatures, so

They seem like a new hunting ground to me.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Gorbesh Bugs 05/13/2020 10:51 AM CDT
>>They seem like a new hunting ground to me.

If that's the intention and they want people to hunt there then yeah, their specials are going to have to get tuned a lot. No way they're viable for hunting the way they are now.

>>Skills should matter in a skill-based game (invasion or no invasion). It's hard to express in text just how annoyed I am that even more critters are being released with non-skill-check attacks. I also don't really like flex mechanics for similar reasons but at least I can justify that in the name of "everyone can participate". I ran through the area with blend+EM+1450 stealth and they hit me with a mana parasite even though they could not see, point me, or otherwise engage Hanryu.<<

I can see where you're coming from.

For myself, I think for DR PvE to be fun it needs more things that require players to engage and be good at the game, and fewer things that can be ignored if a character has high enough numbers (though not for training purposes - then it's terrible). If my text can stand there and just face tank every challenge thrown at him during something like an invasion then there's not much for me to do as a player, and to me that's boring. And if people in general can stand up and face tank every challenge during something like an invasion then there's no reason for them to work together and strategize, really, and that's kind of boring to me, too.

TLDR - To me, challenging my character's traits is boring since he either has the numbers or he doesn't, but challenging my ingenuity as a player is fun because it gives me as a player a chance to feel clever and competent (or not, and I can feel a little salty and try another approach next time).

Mazrian
Re: Gorbesh Bugs 05/13/2020 01:26 PM CDT

Though i do respect what you are say as i myself enjoy the challenge, especially in regards to hunting/killing something im not supposed to be able to at my circle and things like that... there are, to my knowledge, things for you elites to deal with, such as commanders, warlords, prince and princesses and whatnot that i believe are created specifically so that the elites ( Heros of Elanthia) can come in and save the day.

If you can facetank the spheres, kudos to you. I guess we know what your job is during the next invasion. For the rest of the lowly peasants mucking about in the lower tiered trash, those spheres are a pretty damn big nuisance.

I fully support the skills need to mean something. Some people have spent 20+ years honing thier characters into bonafied heroes and honestly SHOULD be able to walkinto a room of gorbesh mages and lay waste to them. Pulling the old super-elite WoW scam of just making those same mages 1000x harder is just lazy. Especially to people who remember killing them once before. What was the point of advancing and training.?

You can use the argument that "the Gorbesh have been training too" however there are hundreds of thousands of them that basically make up thier race and now all of a sudden they are all been gifted insane abilities? i dont buy it. Commanders, veterns sure. Just like in the Goblin and Slai invasions, there are those i can kill easy, those that are a challenge and those that i need to call for help on. I think these Gorbesh need to fall inline with that as well. Someone with the highest available ranks in the game shouldnt really have a problem dealing with the common Gorbesh soldier, archer or mage. Otherwise, they would have taken over the world already cus well.. lets be honest. We all know just how helpful the town guards are.

Now if the Gorbesh were to start stealing stuff and getting caught.....

"You can have anything the world offers, so long as you have the strength to take it, the skill to steal it or the nerve to kill for it."

Dusk, Chosen of Damaris
Re: Gorbesh Bugs 05/13/2020 07:01 PM CDT
Also, the messaging goes screwy when enchanters cast DO at each other:

A Gorbesh Enchanter raises a hand to the sky and gestures. A noose of shadow streaks through the air towards !

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor