Re: Housing..... 02/19/2018 09:49 PM CST
Does this mean if someone doesnt finally claim their house then it will be removed from them? Hopefully freeing up some houses & such???

If a character hasnt been walked into a home in 4-5 yrs then sorry, I feel they should lose it. To me it shows that the player is only doing it to keep another from claiming a spot & that it actually may be used (gasp, shock, horror) by someone else.

It takes all of what, 10 secs to walk in then walk right back out.

So yes, please, please please.

Can it also please be looked into adding some more housing (preferably mid-high) of rural & urban around crossings & up in Zoluren? I know homes between the rivers would be appreciated & many places have been reduced down to 1 home per room where 10 yrs ago they had 3-4 or even more in each room. And no, they are not invisible as I've walked around doing home claim to see, I tried it when I was logging homes to update Elanthipedia within the past couple months.
Re: Housing..... 02/20/2018 01:43 PM CST
Actually, I'd love to see more lower class rural housing around Crossing or in Zoluren in general. From looking at Elanthipedia, lower-rural seems to be the scarcest housing type there is, and there's hardly any of it available. I rather like the descriptions of the houses in a place like Sandcastle Cove, but those are a) in Riverhaven, b) jammed right up next to town, and c) there's only one listed as unclaimed anyway. I suppose most people either want to be lower-urban slumlords or middle-rural cozy cottagers, but some of us really want nothing more than to pursue an existence of bleak sullen hermitry in the middle of the desolate wilderness.

I'm sure staff has much higher priorities than creating new housing areas, but if such a day of working on low priorities ever comes... A lower-rural housing area out the east gate of Crossing would be amazing, especially around the Cape of Storms area :D
Re: Housing..... 02/20/2018 08:33 PM CST
What I've been doing lately, with my spare time, is monitoring the housing monitor system.

It is very slow. It eats up a lot of time. I've been finding 2-3 homes a day that should have been reclaimed by the system and made available but got hung up for one reason or another. (Account name changes, account names that are too long for the system, characters changing to different accounts, characters being retired.) The monitor is showing me that once I reset them, those homes get snapped up usually within a few hours. (Useful data collection for proposals for new housing.)

We've got one bit of housing in the works but it isn't in my hand to give yet so I won't say more about it.

If someone wants to have a home and not enter it for years, I don't (in theory) have a problem with that except that yes, it does tie up resources that would raise QOL for others. I'm pondering a bit of a solution for this, but it'll need to go through proposals and approvals and such, so again, not a thing I can say "Here it is" about.

But I do know this is a thing - and I would like to make it better. :)

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Housing..... 02/20/2018 11:04 PM CST
>>DR-Iocanthe: If someone wants to have a home and not enter it for years, I don't (in theory) have a problem with that except that yes, it does tie up resources that would raise QOL for others. I'm pondering a bit of a solution for this, but it'll need to go through proposals and approvals and such, so again, not a thing I can say "Here it is" about.

There are a lot of squatters, making it difficult to get a home in the most populous areas like Crossing. I don't have a problem with removing homes from:
• inactive characters (not logging into the game at all during X time frame)
• characters who claim a house but never enter it
• characters who haven't entered their house in X time frame

With the added competition for space from SimuCoin deeds, it would be nice if there were some Estate Holder restricted options. In addition to limiting certain neighborhoods to Estate Holders, one idea I floated at a town hall was to restrict housing class by account tier:
F2P: can only claim lower-class housing
standard: can claim middle-class or lower-class housing
Premium: can claim any house (provided it is not restricted by race or guild)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Housing..... 02/20/2018 11:21 PM CST
I agree with Isharon.

I recently went through epedia on a project and looked at every housing area in the game that is recorded there. There are a LOT of houses still registered to players who haven't been around in forever. I was actually really surprised.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Housing..... 02/21/2018 12:45 PM CST
Agree with Isharon & Elec

Heck, my mains house was lost over 10 yrs ago I guess when changes were made, I have no way of getting it back for her, which is fine. It held a lot of memories & one of a kind items that are gone, forever. :(

I'm dealing with it, but when I walked different characters around areas around & in crossings, up to dirge, down to shard, not as much up around haven or theren but I did hit up muspari too. I updated elathipedia when I could, & I was surprised at homes that were claimed but not entered & how fast homes around crossings would get snapped up when I updated the pages.

Since f2p can claim homes now the rooms having only 1 or 2 in them should be returned to having 3-4-5 homes in them like they were when first released. Also with the change to every character on an premie account can claim a home instead of just 1 per acct homes can be in higher demand.
It does not require new areas to be developed, so it doesnt really take away from GM time (IMHO) as they are already designed they just need more home reswitched.

This goes across all levels, of urban & rural, & the 3 classes, low/mid/high, doors/freestanding.

I'd also love to see some restrictions lifted, like dwarves only from s'lais cave, That place has only 1 or 2 folks there yet since I cant get my cabin back up on the rocks by the bridge I'd put my main in the cave but she's s'kra so restricted. Some areas I agree need to stay restricted (necro guild especially), too much chance of metagaming.

So thank you for looking at this Iocanthe, its appreciated. :)
Re: Housing..... 02/22/2018 01:50 AM CST
I would say that if the players account is active, meaning consistent logging in, say once a month, then it's nobodies business whether they have visited their house or not.

I live and hunt on M'Riss and my house is in Hibarnhvidar. As long as so long as someone is an active player it shouldn't matter whether they go visit their home or not.

I know this isn't what you all are primarily talking about, and I agree with the sentiment, but don't make the rules so cut and dry that it precludes people that just don't have time to go home because of their training or RP choices.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Housing..... 02/22/2018 05:29 AM CST
What I'm looking for right now are homes that are broken - stuck in limbo.

I don't know that having a "you must use it or lose it" requirement is the way to go. I mean, we don't have that kind of requirement on anything other than void weapons and a few vouchers that I'm aware of...

Also, those ePedia lists of who owns what home? Those are awesome. I'm leaning on those when I find an account with one broken house to make sure there aren't more from that account.

Thanks!

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Housing..... 02/22/2018 10:06 AM CST
Rhadyn
What I'm talking about is a home thats claimed, then the character has not logged in for several months if not longer.

I also wonder why the code doesnt force your characters name onto the home when its claimed, I want to say a couple did that to me without walking my character in the door but I might be mistaken. Old age & lack of sleep are heck on the memory sometimes :)

If you claimed your home then walked in & right back on out, thats enough to mark the home with the name. I think what irritates most is folks who claim a home mostly around crossings, never enter it so it shows as claimed but not entered with no character name on it. I get RPing, I get RPing a necro who claims a home smack dab in the middle of crossings, thumbing their nose at the hounds & guards, never going into the home & not staying in the area. I dont have to agree with it though.

And I can say that when I starting looking at elanthipedias list umm in nov 2017 there were a lot more no name homes then there are now, between myself & quite a few others updating the lists, its gotten better. For me its just time consuming as I have to look at each home then compare to the lists I hand do it, some I'm told have a script for that. (shrugs)
So I dont think that issue is as all important as getting some of the homes cleaned up like Iocanthe says shes doing, I think it has more to do with Elecs response of homes that folks havent logged into in ages still retaining their homes with possibly inactive accounts.

Anyways, Iocanthe says she has some things possibly in the pipeline, she seems to be of a similar mindset as you, I'm not sweating it. :) I gave my opinion, I'm just happy its being looked into.
Re: Housing..... 02/25/2018 03:40 PM CST
I haven't had my character walk into his house for a little bit, probably several months. Do I have a deadline on this?

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 S.V.o.L.t.R
Re: Housing..... 02/25/2018 04:06 PM CST
There's no deadline. Just, the more people walk into their houses, the more the system seems to find other locked up/broken houses.

:)

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Housing..... 02/25/2018 06:25 PM CST
I know an old character of mine from the old account of mine from years ago, Fishking or Fisherking (I can't remember), who went by the name Salbir, had a home in the southwestern part of Aesry. I can't remember the exact location, but you may feel free to purge it. At some point something has to be done with homes and accounts that are not longer active. Sooner or later we all die and won't be able to reactivate our accounts. As for myself I just wanted to start fresh. My apologies if creating a new account causes problems. Also one of my characters on an old account owned a boat at some point, but I don't recall the name of which character it was or the name of the boat.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game. Michael Jordan
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/game
Re: Housing..... 02/27/2018 09:35 PM CST
There's nothing for anyone to apologize for. If you've changed account names, or moved characters around on accounts, it causes some problems, but everything, so far, is fixable one way or another. The system does a pretty remarkable job of reclaiming what needs reclaiming probably 85% or more of the time!

We're dealing with a system written 20 years ago by code-whisperers who aren't around anymore, and so I'm trying to figure out the functions and not-functions while we figure out what might be the best thing to do for the future. :)

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Housing..... 02/27/2018 10:19 PM CST
Oh, Iocanthe, I dont know if its because you've been looking into the housing system or still something thats a hit or miss occurrence. Okay, my main & some friends have been hanging around Mer'kresh & Hara'jaal the last couple weeks so I decided one of them needed a home/citizenship there.

lordy lordy lordy, we found a vacant treehouse (giant face splitting beaming smile) so we ran, got her housing pass & ran back to the tree.... she claimed it & without going into it it showed her name as the owner. We checked with 3 or 4 different folks outside the owner & it showed as "soandso's home". I knew my old mind wasnt playing tricks when I said some homes were showing as name claimed & some werent that we tested.

So, if you have dipped into the code to force the system to recognize & show the homeowners names without them needing to go into the property.. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! :)
If you didnt & its a hit or miss system can someone please find the way to make it do it all the time? IMHO it will end the issue of homes being claimed but not showing the owner & totally irritating folks like me ;)
Re: Housing..... 03/01/2018 09:08 PM CST
There have been a few homes that are looking quirky and I've manually updated them. Not sure if your friend's was one of them.

The system itself doesn't formalize home ownership until you go inside. Until then, it is in a limbo that may protect your investment to the exclusion of all else for eternity. (I'm finding at least one home a day that belongs to a character that rerolled/deleted, changed accounts, or closed accounts years ago and because they never went inside, the home doesn't recognize that it needs to reset itself.)

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Housing..... 03/08/2018 01:42 PM CST
Sometimes, I have a happy thought.

I'm having a happy thought about housing, right about now! :)

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Housing..... 03/19/2018 07:08 AM CDT
<but some of us really want nothing more than to pursue an existence of bleak sullen hermitry in the middle of the desolate wilderness.>

In my case, I would love to be a hermit on Fang Cove, but the housing there is mostly lower class, rural with two middle class and one upper class. I would love, love for some of the unused lower class rural spots to be converted to middle or upper class. I figured with it being Fang Cove that there would be more higher class housing for Estate Holders.
Re: Housing..... 03/19/2018 07:21 PM CDT
>I figured with it being Fang Cove that there would be more higher class housing for Estate Holders

Guessing there isn't because of the lore of the place. It's a secluded shipwreck village.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Housing..... 03/20/2018 08:54 AM CDT
Sure, but with the influx of money from estate holders pouring in, they should be able to throw up some beach front properties.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Housing..... 03/20/2018 01:39 PM CDT
In keeping with a mideval theme, wealthy people generally didn't like living by the sea in mideval european times because it was typically too cold. It wasn't until the industrial revolution that you started seeing seasides become more an appeal to wealthy. I know DR doesn't always stay with mideval European type environment (they have corn, tomatoes, and potatoes in the game for example), but generally that is the type of environment they strive for.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game. Michael Jordan
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/game
Re: Housing..... 03/20/2018 07:38 PM CDT
Cool... but I want to live in fang cove. It is extremely convenient. I just don't want a hovel.

Monster Elec