re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/29/2012 08:57 AM CDT
I am very disappointed the portals to Fang Cove have been closed. I entered Fang Cove daily to hunt, mine, and shop <whenever the shop tent would rotate>. Having a "magical" ring to get me there is not really going to help me as it has been pointed out there is a timer for use. My understanding is you can use the ring once a week which limits my access, once there you have 30 minutes to use it to return to where you were. What happens if you don't use the ring to get out within that 30 minutes?

I found myself looking at Fang Cove as a sort of escape, kind of like a country club or gated community where only paid members could get in and use the services and "private" hunting, mining and shopping areas. My IC adopted daughter is a member of the community too and we would often meet there having traveled to and entered the gate <portal> from our respective home cities for little family reunions. Just hanging out chatting, teaching each other, and I will admit she would pop my quartz garg boxes as I am not skilled enough to do so. I don't see it as abuse to meet with another member of the private community for these purposes, especially to do boxes I got from a critter within the community.

Frustrated....

Legendary Trader Tasyra D'Vore
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/29/2012 09:12 AM CDT
The problem is, you have one thing there without the other.

You have mines, but no forging or carving society within fang cove to utilize it.

And really, waiting around on a boat or mammoth after each mining session?

I understand the desire to "build a city from the ground up", but just as people didn't go to muspar'i <except for empaths <before perceive health> for the leeches, and thieves started going there only after shoplifting got changed to be able to shoplift "table" items <non-catalog>. Before that you had only the die-hard S'Kra RPers. :-).

So in order to encourage people to make use of FC - and to encourage people to spend RL money to become Premium, its NOT going to be an attractive "bargain" in its current incarnation. Discouraging commerce is like telling people if one lives in theren and the other in shard, you can't come to crossing to trade. That isn't how to run a profitable business. Trade builds a city up, not restrictions.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/29/2012 10:10 AM CDT

I would have no problem waiting for a mammoth after visiting the Cove (which I did fairly frequently, for hunting and mining, and just going there cause I think its a cool place. However, I will no longer visit if I have to go to Ratha to do so. Going to Ratha is NOT a premium perk. I'm not a Moon Mage, don't have access to a boat, and a ring that keeps me there for only 30 minutes (once a week) before I'm trapped there is pretty useless if I wish to join in any events there (which I would have before it became so isolated). I was very excited about the upcoming events, building up the place, and making it my second home. Now, not so much.

I also don't understand why the mammoth is out of Ratha in the first place. The ships left from Zoluren, were destroyed in a storm and they ended up shipwrecked off of Ilithi. How does Ratha even make sense? Why can't the mammoth leave from Crossing? or Leth, or anywhere on the mainland? Zoluren has very tight ties with the Merelew, they can't convince another mammoth to ferry somewhere closer?

I understand there was a certain vision in creating the Cove, but when the players that actually use the place and want to continue to do so are giving feedback and are met with, that isn't the vision, or that our concerns aren't a priority it really makes me wonder why we are paying extra money for this "perk." Just make it another isolated place that no one goes to like Muspar'i.

~Cyia

PS And whoever invaded Crossing with the Cove creatures last night, seemed like a slap in the face and in really poor taste.
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/29/2012 10:48 AM CDT
>I also don't understand why the mammoth is out of Ratha in the first place. The ships left from Zoluren, were destroyed in a storm and they ended up shipwrecked off of Ilithi. How does Ratha even make sense? Why can't the mammoth leave from Crossing? or Leth, or anywhere on the mainland? Zoluren has very tight ties with the Merelew, they can't convince another mammoth to ferry somewhere closer?

The only reason I can think of is to make it as innaccessable as remotely possible in current game design while still maintaining the fiction that it is 'reachable' without the special doodads etc.

The only way they could have deliberately made it worse was to require you to go to Hara first (boat to Ratha, do little quest, boat to Hara).
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/29/2012 11:02 AM CDT

<The only way they could have deliberately made it worse was to require you to go to Hara first (boat to Ratha, do little quest, boat to Hara).>

I laughed. It's funny because its true.
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/29/2012 01:25 PM CDT
Whenever I ask a friend to come try dr again and tell them it's much better, it's almost always the same response.... So you don't have to spend two hours to get places anymore? The travel system isn't "fun" and adding methods that make you forced into said system is not a positive.
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/30/2012 02:08 AM CDT
I can confirm that this area seems to be deserted now primeside. I have been hunting here for much of the day <after trying out the new clerical rituals> with my cleric - as the serpents are an ideal critter for him to catch up on his defenses with before going up to elder deer to work on his main weapon and TM, and then on to gryphons <same route as I took with my plat barb>. Plus i've walked around a bit power=walking, and spent a little time mining <not very good at it, but, my cleric's a dwarf, he's got to put in a bit or never show his beard around stone clan again!>.

Anyway, the place seems deserted. Surely you guys don't mean it to be like this. I really wish you <simu-folks> would review - and change - your policy as regards this area.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/30/2012 12:42 PM CDT
Honestly I've always popped in there to use the empath, I'll run to Crossing from a hunting spot, past the Crossing empaths and hospital, and not bother to log in my own empath, and pop over to the cove, because Yalda's is so very very awesome.
Also I would do a little of backtraining while looking for something to mine. Mostly I just like how the mines there are set up as opposed to the Wicked Burrows or Stone Clan, it makes a nice path starting in bobcats and ending in gremlins for some backtraining.

On that note, I was wondering, when the portals Are open for limited time for events, meetings, merchants, etc - Can we still use them like we were before(minus the item, spell, money, shift moongates, evil things, or whatever else people were doing) for like hunting, mining, healing, and the other normal town type stuff? or are we just supposed to pop in, do our business, grab a gift, and pop back out?

re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/30/2012 01:19 PM CDT
I don't get it, I just tried the portal and it worked fine as usual. I hunt in Fang Cove almost daily and find I jump back to Riverhaven to sell my bundles since the skinner in FC always seems to be closed when I am there. I am just curious why the portals were apparently closed and now seem to be open again....unless it is just because it is close to the premium meeting time?
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/30/2012 01:28 PM CDT
Never mind I just saw that it was opened because of the meeting that I missed yesterday...doh.

As someone who is loving FC but needs to be back in Riverhaven on a regular basis it seems a real shame that I still don't have a ring, or that these portals won't be open at least once a week or something.
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/30/2012 02:13 PM CDT
>>i said yalda..

not yalda... whoever the fang cove empath is that is so awesome
re: Portals to Fang Cove 07/30/2012 02:31 PM CDT
>>not yalda... whoever the fang cove empath is that is so awesome

Yrisa.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
re: Portals to Fang Cove 08/01/2012 04:32 PM CDT
>I can confirm that this area seems to be deserted now primeside.

I can confirm you're wrong. I've had bodies around better capable of monitoring this that have seen no significant change in the traffic through the area.

>How about adding a "ship path" item as a LTB.

This is something we want to see done, and I've said as much before (when the ship route first opened and most recently at the meeting). It's just not an easy thing to do, and I haven't been able to get into the guts of the ship system to sort it out. If we get some ship folks, or I get some time, this is definitely something I want.

SGM Zadraes
Logistics Lead
Premium Lead
Trader Guild Advocate
re: Portals to Fang Cove 08/02/2012 12:35 PM CDT
There hasnt been a significant change in traffic? I noticed the portals were closed, and was disappointed that we wouldnt be going to hunt the gargoyles. Then I guess it was the next day they were open again (for the meeting?) I know that myself and a few friends made a couple of trips in.. and now they are closed again. I know that would have been at least four people who would have been in there that are not making any plans now. I had only seen 4 other people there through the times that I was there and hunting - but of course I tend to go.. hunt, die, and then lay in the middle of the path, so I dunno if I would have see alot of people.. but its not like the area is all that big either. I also jumped in with one of my alts to see if I could figure out how to get a ring. The other two people that I saw were standing there trying to figure out the same thing, and we all agreed the only reason we were there right then was because the portal was open.

Anyways, the portal just closed again yesterday.. so I would check the traffic again?
re: Portals to Fang Cove 08/02/2012 12:58 PM CDT
It would be interesting to have stats on people in Fang Cove over the next week with the protals now closed.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Bit Player of M'Riss
re: Portals to Fang Cove 08/02/2012 01:53 PM CDT
I find it doubtful at best that traffic did not take a significant hit when the portals closed.
re: Portals to Fang Cove 08/03/2012 01:16 AM CDT
Not to play devil's advocate here, however...

The amount of traffic between times when the portal is open and when its closed is entirely irrelevant. The simple fact of the matter is that Fang Cove is accessible through other means. Just because these means are not appealing to you does not negate the fact they exist. If you choose not to utilize the area because of long travel times or remoteness, that is entirely up to you, but it still remains an available perk never the less.

That being said...

The area was designed with the goal to get away from a sea caves model, and rather, build from the ground up what I can only postulate will culminate in an almost exclusively Premium access province. Because it is being built from the ground up, and due to the fact it is under developed *at the moment*, it is not a very practical place to stay long term at the moment. However, it's very presumptuous to conclude that without access via portals this is going to be another ghost town. It's fairly obvious that the area is actively being constructed as a town or city the likes of Shard, Aesry, etc. with the added benefit of the premium shops and perks. Not some fluff area to leisurely "pop over to" just to see if any rare metals have spawned or lock up your secondary skills during down time.

- Anuind
re: Portals to Fang Cove 08/03/2012 01:51 AM CDT
I took a trip to Fang Cove today to empty my bank account there, and all hunting areas were deserted. I have hunted my way up from crabs to snakes to gargoyles and was about to move on to gremlins (You have to fill in the gaps between crabs/snakes and gargs/gremlins somewhere else) In the months I spent in fang cove there were always other hunters around. Not many, but usually 3-5. Those hunters are gone and it's easy to see why.

Is all good to close holes that allow the mechanics to be abused, but you have now isolated a half functional area that many people would like to enjoy. No one is going to make this annoyingly long trip for lower level hunting when you cannot stay here without constantly supplementing the area with the resources of other towns. Those players with the means to travel quickly (MM's, Boats, ranger trails, whatever) are not the players that hunt quartz gargoyles and serpents or go there to raise escaping to 50 or climb/swim to 100.

Fang Cove is one of the main reasons I was drawn in to playing DR, I enjoy the theme and the potential, but it is a mess of holes and bugs and only worked for lower level players who have something to gain from the area because you could hop out and sell pelts or go shopping/visit the vault.
re: Portals to Fang Cove ::Nudge:: 08/03/2012 09:11 AM CDT

Find a way to constructively post or end it folks.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
re: Portals to Fang Cove 08/05/2012 06:35 PM CDT

I would have had no problem with getting rid of the portals if it had been done in a more structured way. For example: announce the portals will be going away in the next few weeks, give players many opportunities to get teleport rings, have a detailed plan and timeline about how and when Fang Cove is going to become awesome. Unfortunately, that is not what happend, and you lost the opportunity to engage with players (who like this game enough to pay extra to play it) in a positive way.

Considering the history of this game... it could be 2 months or 2 years before Fang Cove is expanded and really becomes a worthwhile perk. I'm still waiting for a response from GMs that takes into account player feedback around the issues of creating more long and tedious travel "options" and further player isolation.

For your reference:
Travelling from Shard to Ratha took me 50 minutes, but I didn't have to wait for the gondola, and the Skirr departed after 12 minutes. I had to wait 30 minutes for the mammoth to arrive, and it took 20 minutes for it to get to Fang Cove.