Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/21/2012 09:29 AM CDT
Can this please be turned off?

It's probably cute in someone's imagination, but it just kills the area for me, and it doesn't add anything.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/21/2012 09:40 PM CDT
Well, when I rewrote it I intended it to be something folks may or may not like. Is it worth getting webbed every few minutes while hunting to get escaping training in? I bet there's a number of folks on either side, but that's why we have diverse hunting areas. It might be more desirable when the contest changes to Athletics, but I'm curious -

Do you not like it because it doesn't train well enough for how often you get webbed?
Or do you not like it because you don't care for the skill it trains?
Or are you just staunchly anti-web?

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/21/2012 09:49 PM CDT
In all honesty, I'm anti 'wierd things in hunting grounds'.

I'm using it over in plat, and I never noticed a substantial (say, more than 1 mindstate or a few pulses) learning bump, for the 15+ seconds of RT, falling over, and disruption.

It just didn't really seem to add anything to the hunting area, to me. If it could be changed to only trigger on room moves, and not hunting commands, I'd be thrilled. As a room move mechanic, while I might be irritated, if it teaches escaping/athletics, and contests it, I'm golden.

As a hunting area feature, it's just sort of irritating and not fun. Typing 'parry' or 'engage' or 'attack' shouldn't result in me falling over in RT webbed.

If I'm completely honest, it was driving me crazy because something about it in plat made my script violently explode and spam 'stand'. So take that as you will. It was enough to convince me that the area, while nice, is not my ideal hunting ground at that level.

Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/21/2012 11:55 PM CDT

You actually fell over? I thought my escaping ranks were low...

Funny story, you can get webbed trying to attack when nothing is in the room.
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 12:45 AM CDT
When I was hunting in there I thought the webbing was a nice touch, and the fact that it trained escaping fairly well was just a bonus.
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 05:35 AM CDT
<It might be more desirable when the contest changes to Athletics, but I'm curious - >>

not really. I have 96 athletics with my wm platside and i fall over frequently. I have 106 escaping on my cleric primeside and don't fall over, but doesn't learn. so... go figure. I really don't see what the difference is between 10 ranks, but meh. both of them use the area to train lower weapons, both are 60th circle, and both have the same skillsets primary/secondary/tert. Its an annoying feature.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 07:22 AM CDT
Is it training athletics platside?

- Buuwl
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 07:29 AM CDT
Sigh. Yes it is. DR3 is being tested in plat. Solomon and several people have already broken the ice. I'm NOT going to do numbers or learning conversations because that is still getting tweaked.

But the skill combines are live, so it teaches athletics.

And my plat char has low athletics.

Some checks have gotten a little wonky on the easier/harder scale.

Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 02:37 PM CDT
>>not really.

Well, I was basing that assumption on the fact that more people currently train climbing/swimming than escaping, but we'll see.

>>I have 96 athletics with my wm platside and i fall over frequently.

I'm curious as to what you consider frequently, the mechanics should be scaling to less and less trips the closer a player is to being able to overcome the obstacle. And the likelihood of the mechanic firing but the player successfully avoiding the obstacle (no web, no RT) should increase. I'd be happy to revisit this if it isn't working as described.

>>I have 106 escaping on my cleric primeside and don't fall over, but doesn't learn. so... go figure.

And this should be completely expected. Contested skills typically don't train the skill once it isn't a contest anymore.

>>I really don't see what the difference is between 10 ranks, but meh.

Technically at any skill, the mechanics there will at some point try and trip someone. But at a certain threshold the player will always succeed in bypassing the negative outcomes. The point at which the mechanics stop teaching is when the player is automatically successful, though the rate drops dramatically before that. That point, as with numerous systems, will show up as a difference of one rank.

I know some folks don't like the change that adds webbing to the hunting actions, but I had a very good reason to modify it this way. One of the complaints was that it would be a better mechanic if you could actually use it to train a skill. Had I made it trainable just from running back and forth through the area, then people that actually wanted to hunt there would very likely get annoyed by folks running back and forth repeatedly. That case would also cause the spawn to spike regularly and make it difficult if you were not able to handle four at once.

As it stands this mechanic is in just 2 hunting areas(and I think one or two random rooms in another), so there's plenty of variety out there if you aren't a fan of it. For those that this appeals to, I think it is now an extremely viable way to train escaping, providing you are being challenged by it.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 04:23 PM CDT
That's a reasonable response, and I'm fine with that, I was just thinking FC was supposed to be the 'huge' incentive to go premium/plat, and fudgy mechanics didn't do much for me. I spent a half hour there then moved on. Otherwise it's a super awesome, perfect, critter.

So I thought I'd grouch.

Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 07:18 PM CDT
<< The point at which the mechanics stop teaching is when the player is automatically successful, though the rate drops dramatically before that.>>

perhaps the carry-over isn't working correctly then, because I also tested it with my barb, who very occasionally would get dropped at 121 athletics, <again, my cleric with 106 escaping in prime is NOT getting dropped - so it could be conversion wonkiness?> and correspondingly would just get a dab of learning at 1/34.

I'm fine with it webbing you if you actually learn from it, its the dropping you to prone position that i'm not a fan of. And I would think that certain barb/wm, other guild buffs would Prevent this from occurring but don't <cleric centering, WM sure footing, barbarian forms, etc. As far as people running back and forth, the serpents are located in a Mine, so this will happen at any rate.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 09:37 PM CDT
Just noticed this critter isn't on epedia. Someone mind tossin it up, even if it's just the basic info?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 09:40 PM CDT
It is up there. The title of this thread just isn't the full name.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Spotted_Kashika_Serpent

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/22/2012 11:28 PM CDT
Ahhhhh.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Kashika Serpent webbing/falling 10/23/2012 12:18 AM CDT
>>perhaps the carry-over isn't working correctly

Not sure what that is supposed to be, but I've now gone back and checked both instances, and both areas have the same difficulty. I'm worried that you're talking about actually falling down from being webbed while I'm talking about how often you get webbed/how often you avoid it entirely.

If you're talking about falling over from being webbed - please keep in mind that the mechanics of this area have nothing to do with this.

>>I'm fine with it webbing you if you actually learn from it, its the dropping you to prone position that i'm not a fan of.

Part of being webbed is the possibility that you'll fall over.

>>As far as people running back and forth, the serpents are located in a Mine, so this will happen at any rate.

I've known folks that used to run around in dusk ogres just to get a little bit of escaping exp back when these rooms barely taught anything, so I'm going to continue to believe that adding a mechanic that trains significantly by running back and forth through a hunting area is a bad idea. The fact that folks might walk by for other reasons still doesn't discourage this.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate