Furniture in General 05/15/2011 10:00 PM CDT
In general these questions are about all furniture, but I was looking at furniture being sold at Guildfest, in Bunglefoot's Tent.

1) Must you already actually own a home to buy furniture, or can you buy furniture for a home you plan to buy and it'll be there when I buy the home?

2) Some clarification, please: If I buy a home and buy furniture for it and for whatever reason I'm forced to sell the home, or God forbid cancel my DR account, anything that forces me to close the home or leave the realms, my furniture will still be safe and be there when and if I return to the realms, or buy a new home? I'd hate to buy furniture and loose it because circumstances beyond my control force me to close the home and or leave the realms.
Re: Furniture in General 05/15/2011 10:15 PM CDT
1. You have to have a home to buy furniture. Its not something that ever exists independant of a home.
2. Likewise, if you lose your home you lose your furniture. Stuff that you have on/in/under your furniture is recoverable using HOME RECLAIM (I think that's the syntax), but not the furniture itself.

-Evran

The first slayer of Malik, may he not rest in peace.
Re: Furniture in General 05/15/2011 10:20 PM CDT
2b. If you sell your home, the furniture transfers ownership too. So it will still exist, but you won't own it.

If you have a trusted friend, you could ask them to use an alt to keep the house for you, and even buy a house for you now to decorate in advance of you owning it. They can even set you as a guest so that you have some
access to the home's mechanics.

-Evran

Re: Furniture in General 05/15/2011 10:21 PM CDT
> 2. Likewise, if you lose your home you lose your furniture. Stuff that you have on/in/under your furniture is recoverable using HOME RECLAIM (I think that's the syntax), but not the furniture itself.

Ok, good thing I had this clarified. I had thought it was said in the fairly recent past (couple months ago? a year?) that furniture was safe. Good thing I checked, otherwise I would've made a serious mistake. This is why I don't bother with homes. Until such in-game investments are safe guarded, there's no way I'll spend the money only to have it blown, especially if I'm stuck in a situation I can't do anything about - which in the past, I have. Thanks.
Re: Furniture in General 05/15/2011 10:25 PM CDT
Its best to think of homes as a money sink, not an investment. Less disappointment that way.

-Evran

Re: Furniture in General 05/15/2011 10:27 PM CDT
> Its best to think of homes as a money sink, not an investment. Less disappointment that way.

Heh, or avoid them altogether. Removes all disappointment.
Re: Furniture in General 05/16/2011 03:59 PM CDT
Evran tries, he really does. But...

1) No more losing your home furniture if you downgrade. Rather than deleting your furniture when the home is emptied, the contents are saved. When you return and try to claim a new home, the old furniture is set up in the new home. You will lose your physical home, just not the furniture or other contents.

2) HOME RECLAIM - when/if you downgrade and lose access to the home, you can use this to retrieve non-furniture items from the home. This ONLY works after the home has been unhoused (reclaimed by the system), as that's when the items are moved from the home to the special storage. Folks may have to wait 15-30 days from the time of status loss before being allowed to use this. A check is made to see if you have old items from a previous home, and if so, you MUST reclaim them before being allowed to get a new one.

This from message http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=40&topic=1&message=346

I haven't tested this myself, as I've always been premium, but I haven't seen anything come out later removing this.

Telrenth
Re: Furniture in General 05/16/2011 08:32 PM CDT
How the heck did I miss #1 in that list? I definitely don't remember reading that before, although I remember the rest of that post. Oh well, can't be right 100% of the time.

-Evran

Re: Furniture in General 05/17/2011 12:26 AM CDT
> This from message http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=40&topic=1&message=346

Ok, so.. furniture IS saved. I knew I had read this before, or swore I did but I couldn't find it and wasn't 100% sure. Knowing furniture is saved, now I will invest in homes.

Another thing, you still can only place/store containers on a surface only if they're empty, correct?