Housing - Availability & Ghost Plots 05/06/2020 11:51 AM CDT
Hey guys - I'm coming up against something here that's been pretty frustrating to me / seems easily fixed. Maybe you lovely folks can help.

One of the most appealing perks of Premium membership has always been the draw of owning a home. This felt easy enough to do back in 2005. Having recently returned, I was excited to have the chance to set up shop again. I've been eager to open Medir’s Tavern again for events and RP promotion.

No such luck. I’ve been pretty disappointed to find there are barely any appealing plots of free land available anywhere, let alone near alone near any high traffic areas. Part of the plan, perhaps, that housing is supposed to be a finite resource and there may well be limited plots by design. I’m a firm believer in getting what you pay for: why make the perk of home ownership a selling point of Premium membership if it isn’t accessible and customers who are paying extra don't get the benefit of this awesome system? I do appreciate area design is not easy work and the team is limited in time and resources. In any case, I digress.

The real point of frustration for me is having come across a home which (for about *three weeks* now) has been in a state of "[This home is claimed, but has not yet been entered by the owner.]".

When I assist with the question of “hey, I’m here, and I really want to use a home, why is this allowed to persist?”, the only answer I am provided with is effectively "wait it out, their account might lapse" and “find somewhere else”. On the latter comment, see above. On the former, I've waited it out three weeks out of curiosity and, frankly, it seems a little ridiculous that there is no policy or system in place to prevent such an occurrence.

The current system allows someone (who for all intents and purposes, seems to have no interest in actually using a home) to claim a spot (taking a finite resource off the market, per se) and hold onto it without actually using it. I don't quite understand why there isn't more of an onus on the player to actually follow through with the process -- i.e., walk into the property within 24 hours -- otherwise ensure they forfeit their claim in order to give others who might actually be interested in following through a chance.

Thanks for hearing me out!

Confused, and hoping for a solution,

~ Medir
Re: Housing - Availability & Ghost Plots 05/06/2020 12:39 PM CDT
Want to know why you cant find available housing wheras you could back in 05 or so? Try the change to allow non premie players to purchase homes on a RL month to month basis.

Frustrating? Yup

Add in that its not just one per premie acount now, every character on that account can purchase a home slot.

Again, frustrating? Yup

Sorry to say but yeah, the responses you got are what you got. Some of us have asked for more homes, I think a few were put in current housing but thats it, for now at least it seems.
Re: Housing - Availability & Ghost Plots 05/06/2020 08:24 PM CDT
I would wager it's more the "more than 1 house per account" allowed policy.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Housing - Availability & Ghost Plots 05/07/2020 04:38 PM CDT

Another couple of points here. That messaging that an owner has claimed it but not entered it does not always mean that the house isn't being used. First, you can get into your homes with any character on your account so maybe they swapped their house with another of their alts using a deed system, and they might still be using it just not with that character. Another issue is the house system is oddly finicky. One of my houses is showing as not entered by the owner even though that character uses the house regularly. I've also had it where a house didn't change it's ownership so it looked like the same character owned multiple homes at the same time. So it's hard to say what is going on in a specific situation. There are lots of housing opportunities if you're willing to think outside the box too.
Re: Housing - Availability & Ghost Plots 05/07/2020 05:09 PM CDT
Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out and sharing your experience. Seems like it's entirely possible then that the below might be the product of a bug rather than a 'ghost plot', per se. In any case, it'd be nice to understand from a GM what's going on here since the messaging we're seeing in game might not actually be representative of the reality.

When you say 'outside the box', what do you mean? I'm open to suggestions as the only housing I've come across that isn't already claimed is say, in the Crossing sewer, or in otherwise hard to reach / out of the way areas.

~ Medir