ALAE and experience gain 09/09/2013 10:55 AM CDT
Any chance the ALAE zones could allow exp gain? I sometimes end up sitting in there for awhile when building out stuff and would prefer the ability to at least grind on some skills as I stare at the screen trying to think up a new way to say the walls are made of rocks without saying the walls are made of rocks.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: ALAE and experience gain 09/09/2013 05:41 PM CDT
Afraid not. The ALAE areas aren't meant to be used for training. Ideally we want people to go in to build and then go back to the live game for playing/training.

It's something that was discussed in the past, and the decision was to block exp to discourage folks from just hanging out there excessively.

SGM Zadraes
Premium Lead
Trader Guild Advocate
Re: ALAE and experience gain 09/09/2013 06:09 PM CDT
>>The ALAE areas aren't meant to be used for training. Ideally we want people to go in to build and then go back to the live game for playing/training.

I can respect that, but in my own experience using the system, I tend to go and run around refreshing and refining things for one, two or more hours. I sometimes just end up looking up descriptions of wood on epedia or real-world-pedia for a good half hour. By that point, my pools can be pretty much wiped out. Or, in a worse-case-in-my-mind scenario, I actually jump right into ALAE after logging in and never get any exp at all for a notable stretch of time.

It feels counter-productive to essentially encourage me to stop working, leave the area, and grind a few skills before reentering, mainly because I'll most likely get sidetracked doing all that stuff and not return to doing what I was hoping to do. It would just be a lot easier for me if I could cast a spell or two in between each room description or something than to consider running out into the main lobby and then returning.

I could just write everything up before I enter the system itself, but I feel like I get a lot more done when I'm actually doing things on the fly.

>>It's something that was discussed in the past, and the decision was to block exp to discourage folks from just hanging out there excessively.

Is it possible to get a trial run to see how it goes? I totally recognize that the system can be abused in certain ways, but I'd hope that anyone who qualified for the program also showed a certain level of maturity/responsibility and could be trusted not to abuse the abilities they were given.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: ALAE and experience gain 09/10/2013 07:50 AM CDT
It stinks, but isn't that just the price you pay? You're taking over semi-GM powers, and they can't work skills at all while slinging code, etc?

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: ALAE and experience gain 09/10/2013 10:21 AM CDT
>>It stinks, but isn't that just the price you pay?

That's kinda the point of this thread. I think the price is a bit silly.

>>You're taking over semi-GM powers, and they can't work skills at all while slinging code, etc?

At the same time, GMs don't have to train skills to participate through the method in which they participate. It's not like a GM is sitting around going "Well, I could either code up this new creature or train my new Orc overlord GMNPC, but I can't do both!, " you know?

Plus, GMs are compensated differently than ALAE members. It's a bad comparison.

Re: ALAE and experience gain 09/10/2013 08:38 PM CDT
>Plus, GMs are compensated differently than ALAE members. It's a bad comparison.

Guess I disagree? No one's forcing you to spend all that time in the ALAE area. You could do your training and creating in notepad, and then copy/paste it into the command once you're locked/ready/etc.

>At the same time, GMs don't have to train skills to participate through the method in which they participate.

I'm not being dense, but I wasn't aware ALAE required any game-related skill to use/play with?

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: ALAE and experience gain 09/10/2013 10:57 PM CDT
Actually, nevermind. Deleting my last comment. Z knows my stance, and I hope he'll change his mind.