Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 11:47 AM CST
>>Pretty simple, really. As others have said - scripting isn't the problem. Years and years of not advancing things to do in the game are.

If we're going to be honest with ourselves, the problem is having a character lifespan of what amounts to infinity.

If we want to have bonus-honesty, Simu should get a time machine to address the fact that the concept of an end-game (and the content that would be expected within it) should have been baked into the system.

My understanding is that:

(1) GMs know the "infinity" situation exists. Read any post by Armifer about how playing DR shouldn't feel like a job.
(2) GMs want to develop what amounts to a "lifespan" for a character, vs what currently feels like infinity. Essentially: "you'd cap out after X amount of time spent training"
(3) GMs want to create "end game" content, but what that is and how it functions is still undetermined

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 11:57 AM CST

>>It is 100% true. The GMs have brought up, multiple times, their thoughts on what a DR character's "lifespan" should be.

For starters you are assuming my argument is to allow 24/7 afk scripting. Secondly, so what? Character lifespan can change. It has before a few times.

The afk scripting is a bigger issue then just the game's policy on it. The policy itself doesn't really reflect the reality on the ground. I mean look back at your post on how to avoid getting hit with a warning. Notice how none of those suggestions are "don't script" or even "don't afk script". Watching a movie on a second monitor is AFK scripting. The current policy is if you glance at a fly in the wall you are an AFK scripter. If you are doing those things you should be getting a warning and rank reductions.

My argument is that policy doesn't reflect what's happening on the ground. From the player perspective it comes off as arbitrary as to who gets hit or not. My argument is that any significant change to policy will also need some minor to major changes to some core systems. Even with no changes to policy there needs to be significant changes to core systems. You can't simultaneously have a harsh AFK policy while also building a game that screams to be scripted. And if the game doesn't scream it your wrist will!

>>I'm surprised at the people who are arguing that AFK scripting is a good thing.

I'm not sure they think it's a good thing as much as a means to an end. Or that it's a binary system. GM's are not gonna give us unfettered 24/7 scripting and nor should they. The argument should be for a more flexible policy and for core systems to be redesigned so players don't need (my poor wrists!) to script or feel like they need to script just to make descent progress.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 12:03 PM CST
>>Watching a movie on a second monitor is AFK scripting. The current policy is if you glance at a fly in the wall you are an AFK scripter. If you are doing those things you should be getting a warning and rank reductions.

This is incorrect.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 12:13 PM CST
>>The current policy is if you glance at a fly in the wall you are an AFK scripter.

The current policy is that if you fail a script check you're an AFK scripter. Glancing at flies, web pages and even the tv should all be fine so long as you're not taking 5-10+ minutes at a time to do it.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 12:18 PM CST
You really can't miss a check if you're paying any kind of attention at all.

Mazrian
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 12:22 PM CST

>> The current policy is that if you fail a script check you're an AFK scripter. Glancing at flies, web pages and even the tv should all be fine so long as you're not taking 5-10+ minutes at a time to do it.

That is not the policy, that is a limitation of the testing criteria.

There is no time specification in
"Any activity that results in ANY benefit to either you or another player while being unresponsive to the gaming environment will be considered against policy."
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 12:24 PM CST
>>That is not the policy, that is a limitation of the testing criteria.

It's the reality of the situation. Exaggeration of which won't help the discussion move along, regardless of the wording of the policy.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 12:34 PM CST

I would like to see the scripting policy replaced with a disruption policy that gives incentive to enjoy the game without causing harm and harassment to others.

First offense would be a verbal/automated warning only. Moved into violation room to review. No loss, this warning is for information purposes only basically:
Second offense would be a verbal/automated warning with loss of field experience and moved into violation room. Assigned to a player mentor in case there is any confusion.
Third offense would be a 1 day lockout
Fourth offense would be a 1 week lockout
Fifth offense would be a 30 day lockout.

Disruptions are defined as:
Intentionally disrupting another player without consent with actions such as dragging or stunning.
Unnecessary screen scroll done without gain (collecting rocks is fine, kicking an environmental rock by mistake 70000 times is not)
Dropping more than 10 items on the ground within a 5 minute period.
etc etc

Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 12:43 PM CST

The benefits of a policy like this is that it could correct the individual annoyances that people have with scripting such as broken scripts or unnecessary spam. The rules and first 3 punishments would be easy to automate without any staff involvement and the first few warnings work to correct or inform the individual instead of punishing them.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 12:58 PM CST
>>The benefits of a policy like this is that it could correct the individual annoyances that people have with scripting such as broken scripts or unnecessary spam.

What about exacerbating an already broken in-game economy, from coins gained while hunting to T5 material drop rates?

Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 12:59 PM CST
Those suggestions seem like the opposite of easy to automate. The point of the 'don't mess with scripters' post that started this off was to reduce hours of consults, not multiply them.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/09/2017 01:08 PM CST

I had to laugh at the definition of disruption.... because its exactly what happens when a GM script checks then punishes you for failing.

Disruptions are defined as:

Intentionally disrupting another player without consent with actions such as dragging or stunning.

This happend when they port you to that "You have been bad" room and knock you out and then hold you prisoner till you agree to be a good boy.

Unnecessary screen scroll done without gain.

Yeah, bunny hops in.... chats with you... begs to bd petted... then you get spammed by the PET THE BUNNAH OR DIE!!!!! wall of scroll.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/10/2017 04:01 PM CST

Did my post get removed? Max, you saw it and responded. Usually we at least get a post saying our post was removed or relocated... I rather liked my idea and now the text is gone so I would have to rewrite it to Epedia
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/10/2017 04:01 PM CST

Maz*
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 01/10/2017 04:09 PM CST
Posts were hidden. I apologize, it took me a moment.

If your post was hidden, an e-mail was sent to you explaining why the post was hidden and an a copy of your post was attached. Please check your e-mail boxes.

If you did not receive an e-mail, please check your account settings and make sure you have a valid e-mail address on record for your account. Please e-mail me with any questions.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator

If you have a question about the forums, please email me Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net and GM Evike at DR-Evike@play.net
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/03/2017 03:56 PM CDT
Not to "necro" an old thread (how many 'new' threads are there, anwyay), but I feel like something that is completely lost in all the AFK Scripting discussions is how/when it is disruptive. Yes, it can be immersion breaking for new players when you go to a popular spot and there's thirty people wearing shiny amazing descriptive armor that are all braiding grass. Yes, it can and probably has hurt the game economy. However, there are other instances where it's disruptive in other, more personal ways. Try being a low-circle Empath working your Empathy skill, which comes slowly enough as it is. Wounds are a limited resource, and when you have 2-3 obviously AFK 'zombies' or 'bots' or 'scripters' sitting in the Empath guild who instantly Unity Link heal someone not ten milliseconds after their script picks up the word "Heal" in chat, or worse when they do it as soon as they walk into the room, it can be very frustrating.

Sure there are alternatives, and I employ them. I go elsewhere, I make rounds offering services... but it can be very frustrating when you are just trying to be a better healer but can't because "Master Empath" so-and-so is AFK and taking everything in the place everyone goes looking for help with their wounds.

But I deal with it... and I'm not giving up. Sure, I could be a Battle Empath (if I can ever get my skills up high enough to begin) but that's not the character I wanted to play. The irony with all of this is that, from what I've been reading, the main argument of the Pro-AFK Scripter folks is that they are being penalized for playing how they want, while all along they are sometimes preventing others from playing how they want -- and in the worst cases adding exponential time to someone's progression to even be able to play in an alternative manner.

I have yet to REPORT anyone, because I try to be a nice player that is considerate of others. I have no problems with scripts, and I even have a lot of fun trying to write my own, but I also remain active while running them because, to me, they are merely a convenience. It really doesn't even bother me if someone AFK scripts in some remote, out-of-the-way place. My only issue with it is when they do it in largely public spaces -- which is where the interaction should be occurring.

It's been said before, though... this issue has been around for a very, very long time. I can't remember a time when it wasn't a problem, except for maybe the first time I started playing over fifteen years ago (I think? The years have become fuzzy.)
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/03/2017 10:15 PM CDT

>...but that's not the character I wanted to play

Everything else aside, I want to point out that the choices you make about the way you play this game have consequence. As an example, if you don't WANT to train all the weapons and armors to minmax TDP generation, that is absolutely ok. The consequence of doing so is you won't be able to PvP as effectively against people who do. If you WANT to be a Moonie who wears all plate, you may, but you will be significantly hampering your defenses for it.

You are free to not play a battle empath, but it means you are limiting your options for how to train Empathy.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/04/2017 11:09 PM CDT
> You are free to not play a battle empath, but it means you are limiting your options for how to train Empathy.

While I am well aware of that, it seems fallacious to assume it's okay for me to have to adapt my desired play for the desired play of others when their desire requires them to break the rules/policy (though, realistically, this is the effectual outcome). The difference is that the consequence for my desire is personal, while generally the consequence of the AFK scripter/bot/zombie is interpersonal.

As far as TDP generation, PvP, etc... I accept all of that and may one day amend my playstyle accordingly, if I so choose. Currently, I am enjoying playing a character that has an important and meaningful job to other PCs, but is also weak and incapable of defending herself. It's an interesting juxtaposition to play with. It's all about character story to me, and the game mechanics are somewhat tertiary to me.

I really just wanted to point out something that seems to not have been stated in most of the discussion, and that's the fact that there are deliterious effects of AFK Scripting that go beyond the abstract (economy, game state, etc.). I don't expect, nor would I ask, that anything change just for my sake, but I feel it is important to note it anyway.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 07:14 AM CDT

>While I am well aware of that, it seems fallacious to assume it's okay for me to have to adapt my desired play for the desired play of others when their desire requires them to break the rules/policy (though, realistically, this is the effectual outcome). The difference is that the consequence for my desire is personal, while generally the consequence of the AFK scripter/bot/zombie is interpersonal.

I don't disagree, but I also think this is somewhat of an uphill battle, given the number of options you have been given as an alternative. The game culture has changed over the years, and one way that change has manifested is a smaller population of players, many of whom are running multiple accounts, many of which are only barely responsive/active.

> Currently, I am enjoying playing a character that has an important and meaningful job to other PCs, but is also weak and incapable of defending herself. It's an interesting juxtaposition to play with. It's all about character story to me, and the game mechanics are somewhat tertiary to me.

And I think that's fine, even admirable. I also think given the game world we have now, it places you in a position where you're, again, fighting an uphill battle, including struggling with the issue of finding PCs who need healing, are willing to wait for it, while in an environment free of more talented Empaths who can heal faster than you. This is somewhat analogous to the "Rank gaps are too big for PvP" argument from players who want to RP not taking guff from anyone, but also not wanting their teeth kicked in when they mouth off to someone of higher rank. It's fine to want to play the game the way you want, but this is an MMO with a real long history and a culture and landscape that has evolved in a lot of ways from the original creation intent. Playing the game you want, which again is absolutely fine, does carry consequence as a function of that landscape.

But, that said, I can think of >2 Empaths who if you approached with this problem would gladly kick out 'unfriendly wound hogging Empaths' from the guild and make space for you. Perhaps you just need to reach out to your 'superiors'?

>I really just wanted to point out something that seems to not have been stated in most of the discussion, and that's the fact that there are deliterious effects of AFK Scripting that go beyond the abstract (economy, game state, etc.). I don't expect, nor would I ask, that anything change just for my sake, but I feel it is important to note it anyway.

I really don't disagree with you, but I do feel that if you could wave a magic wand and make all AFK scripters vanish from the Empaths guild, you wouldn't entirely solve this issue for similarly varied reasons. As a consideration, have you tried going to the Autopuffs and healing players who are waiting in line?
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 08:14 AM CDT
>>Enrogae: Not to "necro" an old thread (how many 'new' threads are there, anwyay), but I feel like something that is completely lost in all the AFK Scripting discussions is how/when it is disruptive. Yes, it can be immersion breaking for new players when you go to a popular spot and there's thirty people wearing shiny amazing descriptive armor that are all braiding grass. Yes, it can and probably has hurt the game economy. However, there are other instances where it's disruptive in other, more personal ways. Try being a low-circle Empath working your Empathy skill, which comes slowly enough as it is. Wounds are a limited resource, and when you have 2-3 obviously AFK 'zombies' or 'bots' or 'scripters' sitting in the Empath guild who instantly Unity Link heal someone not ten milliseconds after their script picks up the word "Heal" in chat, or worse when they do it as soon as they walk into the room, it can be very frustrating.

The Crossing Empaths' Guild is definitely a problem when it comes to rampant botting. Personally, I would like to see staff being a little more proactive with scripting enforcement in gathering places where new players are likely to show up. (New players who see only silence and scripting are unlikely to stick around.)

However, I also understand that GM resources are very limited, and GMs don't enjoy conducting script checks. So failing that, I think the following measures could improve the ability of Empaths to use the Crossing Empaths' Guild for its intended purpose:

AFK Scripting in General: Currently, the guildhall (especially the Courtyard Garden) is a scripter's paradise. It is warded against PvP and theft. You can forage for grass/vines to braid. You can practice locksmithing. Since the room has no roof, you can interact with the moons. The scroll is bad even with extensive gags. For a new player in the Web client (where all content is dumped into one window), the scroll is overwhelming.

I would like to see the Courtyard Garden and Infirmary be less scripting-friendly. Even just turning off the ability to forage materials for braiding and prohibiting locksmithing would help immensely. (I would also prohibit hiding/invisibility.)

Healbots Specifically: There are some players running bots that robo-heal before any human can manually respond. (You can tell they are bots when they attempt to heal other Empaths who are just talking about healing.) We have reported these bots as disruptive, but there is not enough manpower for GMs to handle these reports in a timely manner.

In the absence of GMs to deal with disruptive healbots, player Empaths could step up and police their own. However, Empaths over 100th circle cannot be removed from the guildhall, even by much more senior Empaths. I think this immunity should be weakened if not removed. (If abused, a player's ability to remove other Empaths can be removed by GMs.) For example, Empaths who are least 150th circle might be allowed to remove any Empath under 150th circle. With a second vote from another 150+ Empath, they could remove any Empath above 150th circle. A 200th circle Empath might be allowed to remove any other Empath of a lower circle with a single vote.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladde
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 03:01 PM CDT
This. All of this. ALLLLLLLLL OF THIIIIIIIIIS.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 04:13 PM CDT

> I would like to see the Courtyard Garden and Infirmary be less scripting-friendly. Even just turning off the ability to forage materials for braiding and prohibiting locksmithing would help immensely. (I would also prohibit hiding/invisibility.)

Then everyone would move. You can already get this by going one west to the infirmary.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 04:55 PM CDT
>Then everyone would move.

That's the point. Discouraging groups of long term AFK scripters in high traffic areas where you know new players will show up almost immediately.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 05:34 PM CDT
>Then everyone would move. You can already get this by going one west to the infirmary.

Which would only work if the general population would start going there for heals, instead of the courtyard. That would be great, in my opinion. I remember a time when that used to happen, but that time has long passed.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 08:58 PM CDT

> That's the point. Discouraging groups of long term AFK scripters in high traffic areas where you know new players will show up almost immediately.

I get the intent, but you're missing the point.

> Which would only work if the general population would start going there for heals, instead of the courtyard. That would be great, in my opinion. I remember a time when that used to happen, but that time has long passed.

That's the point. You can have everything you want right now by moving west and trying to get more people to join you. They don't though, because they have a better option to fit their needs. If that room no longer fit their needs then they'd go back to the ranger guild where it does. Then everyone would start going there and this entire cycle would repeat with different rooms.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 09:00 PM CDT

> Then everyone would start going there and this entire cycle would repeat with different rooms.

And before you say kill the ranger guild, you still have the NE gate, the warrior mage guild, the vineyard, and a myriad of other popular scripting spots since the game's very first days.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 09:13 PM CDT
>>Shift3: You can already get this by going one west to the infirmary.

Moving to the Infirmary does not address the second half of my post regarding disruptive healbots that are immune to the guild's removal mechanics. (If the patients start coming to the Infirmary, the healbots will follow.)

>>Shift3: And before you say kill the ranger guild, you still have the NE gate, the warrior mage guild, the vineyard, and a myriad of other popular scripting spots since the game's very first days.

The purpose of this suggestion isn't to remove (or move) all of the current AFK scripting hotspots. The suggestion is to make the main rooms of the Empaths' Guild more usable for their intended purpose of healing (and less likely to give a bad first impression to new players).

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladder
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 09:33 PM CDT
> (If the patients start coming to the Infirmary, the healbots will follow.)

For the record, I'm all about removing the bots from gathering spots, but I don't think anything will accomplish this. Scripters are very adept after 20 years of practice.

> The purpose of this suggestion isn't to remove (or move) all of the current AFK scripting hotspots. The suggestion is to make the main rooms of the Empaths' Guild more usable for their intended purpose of healing (and less likely to give a bad first impression to new players).

I'm not following your logic. Your suggestion is to make the main empath room less inviting, chase away the players and bots to a more inviting room, and somehow this is going to help new players? If there are no empaths there then no one gets healed at all. If you want them to go the infirmary where you are then they can do that already. They don't because no one is there.

Speaking of which, don't new players have a divine charm anyway? Maybe you should position an ATK empath at TGSE where they teleport to and join the game.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 09:44 PM CDT
>>Shift3: I'm not following your logic. Your suggestion is to make the main empath room less inviting, chase away the players and bots to a more inviting room, and somehow this is going to help new players? If there are no empaths there then no one gets healed at all. If you want them to go the infirmary where you are then they can do that already. They don't because no one is there.

Most of the bots that are there at any given time are not contributing to anything but scroll. (You don't even get scholarship experience for teaching them if they are on free accounts.) Reducing their numbers in the guildhall would not have a detrimental effect on ATK healers or their ability to attract patients.

I believe more players will come to get healed (in either room) if there are ATK Empaths there. (They give up and start going to the auto-healer or roll a pocket Empath after a few times of seeing only AFK scripters.) And actual ATK Empaths will be more likely to spend time there if they have some method of dealing with any disruptive healbots that do show up.

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladder
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/05/2017 09:49 PM CDT

@SHIFT3: The argument is that a room where newbies may run to seek healing from other players shouldn't be a place that favors AFK botting. If people want to seek their healbots elsewhere, or use autopuffs, they can still do so.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 04:53 AM CDT
I have to admit SHIFT3 brought up some reasonable points. Just sayin... I thought in a similar line through this conundrum.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 07:49 AM CDT
>Speaking of which, don't new players have a divine charm anyway?

They do have a divine charm. My experience is that in many cases they are not aware of how the divine charm can help them.

- Felicini
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 08:48 AM CDT

> (You don't even get scholarship experience for teaching them if they are on free accounts.) Reducing their numbers in the guildhall would not have a detrimental effect on ATK healers or their ability to attract patients.

We're going in circles. Why don't you go one west as the ATK healer?

> @SHIFT3: The argument is that a room where newbies may run to seek healing from other players shouldn't be a place that favors AFK botting. If people want to seek their healbots elsewhere, or use autopuffs, they can still do so.

I get that, but why would a newbie run to this room and not one room west? Especially since the newbie teleport devices takes them to other rooms.

> They do have a divine charm. My experience is that in many cases they are not aware of how the divine charm can help them.

That seems like a great place to start in terms of education. Maybe have it pulse an OOC atmo message if they're low on health to give advice.

However, this brings us back to the main point. If they aren't even aware of the charm then why do you think they would be aware of the popular gathering spots?
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 01:19 PM CDT

>Maybe have it pulse an OOC atmo message if they're low on health to give advice.

This is a great idea, and I think a vastly easier and more effective one than a tutorial.

>However, this brings us back to the main point. If they aren't even aware of the charm then why do you think they would be aware of the popular gathering spots?

Simply because most help new players are going to get is going to be in the form of talking (probably OOG) to other players, many of whom will probably say something to the tune of "Go to the Empath guild to get healed"
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 06:53 PM CDT
Honestly, I am not sure why you are pushing against these suggestions, particularly if you're "all about removing the bots from gathering spots." That a proposed solution has no guarantee of solving 100% of the problem is not a good reason to do nothing. Having spoken with many Empaths who actually use this room, there is a general agreement that the room is overrun with AFK bots generating massive scroll and that some measures should be taken to discourage them from scripting there.

I think these suggestions will improve the usability of the Empaths' Guild, even if they don't stop 100% of the botting. Worst-case scenario, the bots keep coming but have fewer options for training in the room. Best-case scenario, the bots relocate to a more script-friendly room.

I don't anticipate that Empaths would leave without these bots, as the bots are generally not injured (so no empathy experience), are likely mostly F2P (so no added scholarship experience for teaching them), and are generally unresponsive (so they are not contributing to the social climate).

>>Shift3: We're going in circles. Why don't you go one west as the ATK healer?

1. As I stated before, moving to the Infirmary does not address the entire problem (e.g., healbots that are immune to the removal mechanics).

2. With the exception of not being able to forage grass/vines, the Infirmary is essentially as script-friendly as the entrance room. Without changing the room's mechanics to make it less script-friendly, the bots are likely to follow the Empaths into the new room (to listen to classes while they script).

3. Overcoming the inertia of players who are used to going to a particular room (the entrance) can take weeks of vocal campaigning.

Really, I don't see why Empaths should have to periodically relocate in their own guildhall for the convenience of AFK scripters. I don't see why these two rooms need to be uber scripting rooms at the expense of the purpose for which the rooms were designed (Empaths healing patients).

>>Shift3: I get that, but why would a newbie run to this room and not one room west? Especially since the newbie teleport devices takes them to other rooms.

In my experience, the shorter the directions, the better. Taking an additional step west to the Infirmary may seem trivial (especially to those of us with AutoMapper), but people tend to stop in the entrance room, especially if they see other players in there.

>>Shift3: However, this brings us back to the main point. If they aren't even aware of the charm then why do you think they would be aware of the popular gathering spots?

Many returning players seem to remember things like "go to the Empaths' Guild to get healed," but since there weren't divine charms when they last played, they don't know that the charms are anything but fluff. (I just ran into such a player last night.) Additionally, as was already mentioned, new players are often told to go there to look for healing.

>>Shift3: That seems like a great place to start in terms of education. Maybe have it pulse an OOC atmo message if they're low on health to give advice.

I'm all for improving awareness of the divine charm -- and a pulsing notice would be a great way to do it -- but I don't see this as being an either/or issue, where we can either make new players more aware of the divine charm's healing function or clean up the Empaths' Guild. Why not both?

Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 07:42 PM CDT

> Honestly, I am not sure why you are pushing against these suggestions, particularly if you're "all about removing the bots from gathering spots."

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but this is what I'm hearing:

Person: I don't like the bots in the room where empaths heal. Make the room less appealing to bots.

Other person: Start healing in a different room, one that's already less appealing and used to be the place to be healed.

Person: But that's not where people to go to be healed. They like going to the room with bots.

Other person: So if you make the room less appealing, and the bots move, why wouldn't the

Person: Because new players go to the empath guild.

Other person: They don't know what the empath guild is. They're given a charm to heal them so they don't have to, and they start the game in a completely different room.

Person: "I am not sure why you are pushing against these suggestions"

> "all about removing the bots from gathering spots."

You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. This room is enticing because it allows so much. If you make it allow less then everyone loses. There are better options. For example, move the ATK healing to TGSE and introduce yourself to the new players. Tell them to come back for healing, or if no one is there then they can go to the empath guild because a new player might find a bot better than no one. Or, better yet, just give them a gweth and let them ask for help.

> I think these suggestions will improve the usability of the Empaths' Guild, even if they don't stop 100% of the botting.

On reddit, a new player just mentioned how they were ATK and kicked out of the empath guild and sent to a new location. They then couldn't get back into the guild. This is what happens when poorly thought out witch hunts are executed. You end up chasing people away.

> As I stated before, moving to the Infirmary does not address the entire problem (e.g., healbots that are immune to the removal mechanics)

We can play this game, but you cannot remove the bots. They are too sophisticated. They are sometimes run by professional DR players who have spent close to two decades perfecting them. If you ruin the room then they will go somewhere else, but the player base who uses these bots will go with them.

> I don't anticipate that Empaths would leave without these bots, as the bots are generally not injured (so no empathy experience), are likely mostly F2P (so no added scholarship experience for teaching them), and are generally unresponsive (so they are not contributing to the social climate).

Wait, so is the plan about getting rid of heal bots (which you can't F2P) or is it about getting rid of F2P bots that are bugging you? Those are two entirely different problems.

> I think these suggestions will improve the usability of the Empaths' Guild

Again, there are still better options. if you just want the "bad" room to be first, then what about shifting the empath guild one east. Entering the guild now takes you directly to the infirmary. The bots will bot in the back room while the players in the front room have the conversations. I suspect that the players will just move right past the infirmary, but you never know. In fact, you can do this now. Just stand outside of the empath's guild and do the healing there. Grab people first.

> Overcoming the inertia of players who are used to going to a particular room (the entrance) can take weeks of vocal campaigning

Okay. I agree with this.

> Really, I don't see why Empaths should have to periodically relocate in their own guildhall for the convenience of AFK scripters.

Most don't. Let that sink in. Most put up with it or are happy about it, but at the end of the day, scripters will follow the people. Teaching makes that worthwhile.

> In my experience, the shorter the directions, the better.

Again, TGSE solves that today. It's where new players start. It's where the divine charm takes them back to, and it gives you the protections you're looking for. You don't even have to ruin other people's preferences, and with effort, you may be able to shift the gathering spots to this location.

> Many returning players seem to remember things like "go to the Empaths' Guild to get healed,"

Those returning players are used to the empath guild changing. They also may remember the other scripting spots that were mentioned previously.

> I'm all for improving awareness of the divine charm -- and a pulsing notice would be a great way to do it -- but I don't see this as being an either/or issue,

I agree with this, but there's only so many ways you can skin the cat before you accept that it doesn't need any more skinning.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 07:44 PM CDT

Blegh, accidentally deleted this part.

> Other person: So if you make the room less appealing, and the bots move, why wouldn't the

It should have been

> Other person: So if you make the room less appealing, and the bots move, why wouldn't the ATK empaths choose a new room and let people come to them.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 08:10 PM CDT
Again though, the point is that this is a highly public space that the community who uses it outside AFK scripting purposes is asking for help in keeping the AFK scripters out. Part of what has attracted those scripters in the first place is the myriad conveniences the room(s) represent. Remove those conveniences and they'll go elsewhere. That is the point. That is the request. Lets stop goalshifting around 'but people will still script' or 'but people may still not want to seek healing out one west'.

Given the propensity for the DR player base to extraordinarily poorly police it's own, this seems like an extremely reasonable and polite way of doing things.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 08:28 PM CDT

> the point is that this is a highly public space that the community who uses it outside AFK scripting purposes is asking for help in keeping the AFK scripters out.

I get it, but it's easier to change yourself than expect everyone else to just change around you.

> Part of what has attracted those scripters in the first place is the myriad conveniences the room(s) represent. Remove those conveniences and they'll go elsewhere. That is the point. That is the request.

This is what I don't get. Rather than just moving to a different room, which already has everything your asking for and more, you'd rather make one room less attractive so everyone leaves.

> Given the propensity for the DR player base to extraordinarily poorly police it's own, this seems like an extremely reasonable and polite way of doing things.

To me this feels like another poorly thought out attempt to self-police, but you've given up on ruining other's scripts so you want to ruin the rooms they script in.

I get that your motives are pure, and I wish you luck if this gets steam. I really do. I just think that in the end everyone will just stop going there. ATK and AFK alike. Maybe ATK can even be a thing for a while, but even the ATK healers will want to work more skills, and that'll take them away. Then people will come there for healing, not find any, and go find the bot room for the auto-paths.

It'll be just like the NE gate, Vineyard, TGNE, TGSE, fountain, WM guild, MM guild, south of the ranger's guild all over again. The bots will move. People will gather around the teachers, and the same people will be complaining that <new gatehring spot> is just a bot haven. They should kill that room too so the bots won't gather there.
Re: AFK Scripters And You! Your Friendly 2017 Reminder! 10/06/2017 08:44 PM CDT
I can only speak for myself, but I've stopped going to the Empath Guild due to the influx of AFK scripters and healbots. I fully endorse Sarkranis' suggestions; I think it's a great idea to make the Empath Guild less appealing for general scripting and more appealing for healing.