PvP Flag or no? Better Evil RP'ers? 10/17/2007 12:48 AM CDT
Because I'm trying to make this into a solid debate, I want to raise the question. Would a PvP Flag reduce the number of reports? People that seek to have fun with PvP'ing always seem to run into those that don't want to.

What's the main reason people report? Do they honestly feel like they're being harassed? Will a PvP Flag give more chances for people to RP evil characters since they won't be in fear of a report?

Here's a conversation I just had tonight with someone. I had no idea about their stance on reporting. This is between 3 people. Name of the person who supports reporting is protected.

I only post it to question the main reason why people immediately report, and if a PvP flag would help solve it.

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: I thought you got tossed if you killed without consent"

>>ooc group Maybe it was with consent. If not, hopefully ones that were killed tried to RP it out.

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: Oh. I'm all for reporting it."

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: It's not high school and I pay 100 bucks to come here for fun."
XXXXXXX shrugs.

>>ooc group Depends, really. I don't think it's fair to report if someone engages themself in the conflict as well.

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: Well no, but I don't ever start anything."

>>ooc group I think... the best thing to do, even if you don't start it, is to see what happens. If they're obviously griefing, then do what you must. But you usually never know if they're honestly good RP'ers or not if you report right away.

>ooc group It's like... we're all in a MUD game. We're gonna interact with others no matter what, be it good or bad. Unless you tell someone specifically in an OOC manner that you don't wish to continue with their RP, then reporting is kind of a behind the back move.

>ooc group At least in my opinion. Like going to tell the boss when your co worker throws something at you, instead of asking them to stop first.

>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: You attack me for just walking down the street and you get reported."

>ooc group What if they attack you and miss completely, would you still report?

>>XXXXXXX laughs!

>>XXXXXXX shrugs.

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: No harm no fowl"

>>Fayeza whispers to your group, "OOC: That's kind of a double standard, though."

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: I'd just laugh at them. I never fight back."

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: She pays people to hunt for her so she doesn't get dirty. To fight back wouldn't be her"

>>Fayeza whispers to your group, "OOC: Just cause they couldn't hit you doesn't mean they had consent to attack... just because you were able to handle the situation yourself in one instance, but not in another, doesn't mean you should resort to GM intervention."

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: I walk into the gem shop and X, someone who doesn't like me because of something someone else did to them, attacks me. Never met X before in my life."

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: Report or not report?"

>ooc group I say not report.

>>Fayeza whispers to your group, "OOC: Not report."

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: You'd never report though. either of you. It's not tattling you know."

>ooc group I just think sometimes it limits player RP, depending on the scenario.

>ooc group At times, it's warranted... at least when someone is being harassed.

Then the person compares reporting to a RL scenario when you go to a manager if you're being bothered in a store.

>ooc group Yeah, but RL is much different.

>ooc group I mean... someone killing your text character is about equivalent to someone pinching you lightly IRL.

>>Fayeza whispers to your group, "OOC: The difference is.. here, we're mimicking a time where might makes right... it's not the same rules as RL."

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: No difference to me. I pay for it for entertainment."

>ooc group What if the person thinks it can possibly entertain you? You wouldn't want to let them know first that you want to stop?

(This is where a PvP flag may be useful, since people would rather report first than let someone know to stop.)

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: We'll have to agree to disagree. I come from a different point of view. "

(Then the person mentions that they usually RP by getting the offender killed from someone else.)

>ooc group See... it's better RP to let them die, than to report... the only thing is, I think even if you die first, you should continue that trend... not just when you don't die.

Here's the irony! After we were done chatting about consent and the matter, we were talking about a completely different subject. Here's the clip:

>>XXXXXXX whispers to your group, "OOC: Annoying people is fun"

>>Fayeza whispers to your group, "OOC: Mhmm.. annoying people is how one gets killed "for no reason.""

From an overall standpoint, I think even this person knew that it was kind of wrong to be like that. This person is still my friend, and will continue to be, we just have different ways of going about things, as with everyone in DR.

I'm just trying to come to a better understanding of it all. I mean come on, I know it get can VERY annoying to have someone do something that disrupts your fun of the game. Especially since you pay for the game. But are you really trying to solve the problem and speak with them OOC'ly about it, or get them in trouble cause you couldn't handle the situation (win it) IG?

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: PvP Flag or no? Better Evil RP'ers? 10/17/2007 01:05 AM CDT
I think a general "profile" system that included a section where we can list out our CvC/PvP preferences would be very beneficial.

I'd also like to know who that person is so I can avoid them.

Rev. Reene

Syralon whispers to your group, "Gentlemen, to evil!"
Re: PvP Flag or no? Better Evil RP'ers? 10/17/2007 07:19 AM CDT
A pure PvP flag will never work. I'll launch into why later if this discussion takes off. The character profiles are good idea though, that way folks can see that I'm the type to shoot first and ask questions later so THEY can avoid ME.

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: PvP Flag or no? Better Evil RP'ers? 10/17/2007 10:00 AM CDT
Isn't "warn <person> combat" fairly close to a PVP flag anyway? If they accept it, then GMs wont intervene if someone reports, correct? The problem with this is that the person has to be in front of you and unhidden to warn combat. Since the verb is fairly OOC anyway, I think it should be expanded to work on anyone within a certain range (gweth range?). I've heard people who want the same thing for the other usages of the verb, like warn interact, since disruptive people tend to hide a lot which makes it very hard to warn interact them.
Re: PvP Flag or no? Better Evil RP'ers? 10/17/2007 10:22 AM CDT
>>Isn't "warn <person> combat" fairly close to a PVP flag anyway?

In theory, yes. One issue I've had before is that the person backed down from the warn combat. Then he went away, and made a little comment on the gweth. When I ignored it, he waited for awhile and made another comment. He was obviously not trying to avoid the conflict, but kept picking with it. Once I told him that I would have no further dealings with him but to cross swords, he immediately replied, "If that happens, we'll let the "Gods" handle it."

It's annoying. I let him get away with his little comments cause I knew he'd report. I'm also a little wary about these kind of situations cause I may not get a GM that sides with the one who didn't report.

In a way, I can see how a PvP flag may not be all that helpful. As for the profile system... it sounds like it may work. What are some ideas for it? Will it only describe CvC choices, or will it include the history of the character, etc..??

Will we write our own profiles regarding CvC situations, or will there be a list of choices we could choose from?
I'm envisioning it something like this:

>l at vinj

You are Vinjince of Elanthia, a Prydaen.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted gold eyes. Your black mane is very long and straight, and is worn loose. You have black fur, a long tail and an athletic build.
You are tall for a Prydaen.
You have a tattoo of a golden hawk with its wings spread wide on your back.
You are in good shape.

>l at vinj prof

Vinjince is normally a quiet, friendly person. Due to the lack of care and an abundance of respect, he usually keeps himself out of the business of others. However, he can often be quite confrontational, and will step up to face any challenge that is presented to him, be it friendly or non-friendly.

Or will the messaging will be done in more of an OOC way?

>l at vinj prof

Vinjince agrees to participate in conflicts and remain IG. Has accepted the consequences of not being able to have GM intervention while in CvC unless it is in the most extreme of cases.

Also, I'm wondering how many "levels" there will be. Some people don't want ANY negative interaction whatsoever. Others enjoy a little PvP, but don't want to be involved with people they don't know. Some will participate in a lot of PvP, but want the option of reporting if things get out of hand. Then there's those that want it No Rules TF-Style.

Just several questions that I had in mind.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi