stick to RP of Evil 03/13/2005 06:03 PM CST
Please avoid discussing PVP or In Game Warnings in this folder.

Eyrick Emal
DR Board Monitor

Send any questions or complaints to me at Mod-Eyrick@play.net or my supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net or use Feedback.
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/13/2005 08:07 PM CST
Where else would you discuss it... Playing "evil" and consent are inherently tied together. Granted you dont have to kill somone to be "evil", but then why would you need to have a folder called "evil" policy? I dont see what was wrong with asking for a GM to offer some suggestions as to how to play an "evil" character and yet remain within policy.

The discussion was also dealing with the issues of playing an "evil" character in which you are prohibitited by CONSENT policy from playing an evil character who chops off the limbs of people who lean on him/her. I personally do not see what was wrong with the discussion and was actually really looking forward to a GM response, instead I get a BM saying that we are essentially off-topic.

- Veeg
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/14/2005 01:06 PM CST
>Where else would you discuss it...

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=2&topic=9

~Heroiklim

Can you look out the window, without your shadow getting in the way?
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/14/2005 02:55 PM CST
that is for the discussion of PvP Policy not RPing "evil" policy. thx - Veeg
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/14/2005 04:18 PM CST
And PvP != evil.

kthxbai

Amagaim; the player of,

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/14/2005 10:37 PM CST
Yeesh. <Eyrick sighs deeply and rubs his aching eyes.> Okay - let me try to explain in detail...

We have specific Categories and Folders so anyone can find specific info or threads.

I posted to ensure replies about about strictly PVP Policy go to the correct folder. (Thanks for posting the link, Heroiklim.) I was warding off potential problems not stopping the thread dead in its tracks.

This folder is for Policy discussion not PVP rules. You can play evil and still follow all DR policies. An evil PC may want to Grave Rob but to discuss Grave Robbing Policy please go to that folder.

While this is a Policy folder, we permited some talk about how to *Role Play* Evil anyway. It's hard to talk about one without the other and someone looking to play Evil will still find the info. However for those who want to wade deep into Role Playing methods or styles please go to a Role Play folder.

So you can post about how to RP Evil while staying within policy like: PVP, Gave Robbing, vulgarity harassment, etc. But anyone who replies needs to stay on topic. If the thread spins into discussing just another policy I'll redirect it to the proper folder.

I hope this helps.

Eyrick Emal
DR Board Monitor

Send any questions or complaints to me at Mod-Eyrick@play.net or my supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net or use Feedback.
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/15/2005 10:55 AM CST
I just think your being a bit to strict on exactly what is found in this folder. Seeing as how there is not an "EVIL POLICY" like there is an "PVP POLICY" this topic encompasses just about all of the other policies. I would be that nine out of ten people who play an "evil" character find themselves eventually talking to a GM about policy one way or another. If this folder is not to talk about the "rules" of playing evil than why have it at all, like you said there is a RP folder for it.

My concerns are not so much with how to play my character but with how to play my character and stay within policy of every kind, be it PvP, CvC, graverobbing or whatever.

I believe all of my questions were based on how to remain within policy while playing what is considered to be an "evil" character. I think that it is indicitive of what a mess that policy is that a GM so rarley comes forward to offer any clarification of a given policy or even some hints as to how to stay within policy. PAFO may work for in game systems but it is hardly fair in the realm of policy.

- Veeg
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/15/2005 12:32 PM CST
I started to just move on with a sigh and thought better of it, I hope.

First I want to point out that the definition of 'evil' is clearly a very individual thing, a topic about which much philosophy and religious discussion has occured, and that cannot be defined adequately in this forum.

However, the some of the best villians in history and the media did not believe they were evil, or at least never admitted to it. Also, some of the truely ... awe inspiring (if this is what you ascribe to) ... believed they were doing good in some form or were totally justified within the rules of society in what they were doing. Because of this, they often made an attempt to stay within societal norms in alot of the areas of their life.

Evil villians can be highly successful, hold positions of power and trust, respected members of the community, and very, very law abiding.

Point is that you don't have to break policy to achieve this goal, if this is what you want to do. The other side to this is that if you are dealing with an 'evil' person, they may very well be both within the policy for the game and totally evil at the same time.

If you are wondering what the policies are then go ask in another folder. That is where policy is explained.

Here they talk about how to rp 'evil' with the confines of the game and its policies.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/15/2005 03:13 PM CST
<<If you are wondering what the policies are then go ask in another folder. That is where policy is explained. >>

Veeg was looking to discuss RPing Evil within policy. Strangely enough this is the "Evil" Policy folder and he is getting hounded by moronic players and less then friendly GM's just for asking for this advice. Ya, that makes sense?!

Jack
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/15/2005 05:02 PM CST
>>>Seeing as how there is not an "EVIL POLICY" like there is an "PVP POLICY" this topic encompasses just about all of the other policies.

Unfortunately, Veeg, whenever we try to get down into an in-depth discussion about policy, it turns into a massive flame-fest in here. There are the mastermind-types that get into yelling matches with the M3G45L4UGH73R ownzors, who in turn get into conflicts with the silent-but-deadly types... Basically, this can go on ad infinitum. And what it boils down to is this: there can't be an all-encompasing policy regarding "evil" because there is no firm agreement as to what is actually "evil" in game. Once we can hash that out without getting threads pulled for conflict, then we can start to get a better idea as to what we can or cannot do within this metacategory of evil.

Amagaim; the player of,

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/18/2005 11:29 AM CST
>Once we can hash that out without getting threads pulled for conflict, then we can start to get a better idea as to what we can or cannot do within this metacategory of evil.

Evil = something other people find fault with. Below are a few examples of evil.

1 Morally bad or wrong, wicked.
2 Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful.
3 Characterized by or indicating future misfortune, ominous, evil omens.
4 Bad or blameworthy by report, infamous.
5 Characterized by anger or spite, malicious, an evil temper.

There are many other types of perceived evil.

Bambina is considered evil for not speaking the native language (common), #3, and #4 by several people; even some that thought and I quote "I always thought you were so sweet" (I should note that that quote was from the player of a someone with several pc's - the one that knew Bambina as sweet is Rakash).

Ebil Cleric Bambina
Re: stick to RP of Evil 03/18/2005 01:00 PM CST
Hmm. The Bambina I met was sweet and understanding and willing to stand by my newbie who was dealing with an obnoxious big bully stealing her boxes in Goblins. My little Rakash got out of it alive with most of her loot.

If that's evil, I want more evil.

Thanks Bambina.

Point is that when we try to define 'evil' we start talking about how others see us. But when we are trying to work out an rp, we are talking about how we see our character.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.