When Evil isn't Apparent 01/23/2004 11:17 AM CST
A lot of people seem to think an evil character runs around wearing black and killing people haphazardly while cackling madly. There is more subtle evil though that lurks and plots and twists in it's own best interests no matter what the cost is to others, as long as it suceeds.

A ship's rat scurries into view.
The ship's rat tries to tend its wounds.
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/23/2004 12:40 PM CST
I think the worst evil is people that speak through others and use them to their advantage. Then use OOC info to affect IC things and don't take any responsibility in it. I know some people like that in the realms and it disgusts me.

Ambassador Genneron, of M'riss
Ask me about my Order
AIM: Genneron
Li Tumbra Mir: The Order of the Iron Circle
http://home.comcast.net/~fatherjarle/
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/25/2004 08:30 AM CST
>Then use OOC info to affect IC things and don't take any responsibility in it.

Oh, do you mean when they IC something really mean spirited and then whisper "OOC: Dont be mad at me, my character is just an/a <explitive here>"

Can't stand that myself, it just makes me want to highlight their name and ignore them.

~Teloxius
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/25/2004 11:12 AM CST
I can see why someone would do the OOC bit in Teloxius's post, since it'd be highly unfair if a player got blacklisted or smeared on the boards for the shocking thing his character did. Obviously there's a line that should never be crossed, but I doubt a little evilness would come close enough. Some players just can't help but take IC things personally OOC.
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/25/2004 01:41 PM CST
Agreed.
A bit of courtesy that suddenly can make a bad situation fun RP.

Jerevth

I can't fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/25/2004 03:01 PM CST
<<Oh, do you mean when they IC something really mean spirited and then whisper "OOC: Dont be mad at me, my character is just an/a <explitive here>"

I don't think that is so bad so long as they aren't telling the person not to have their CHARACTER react badly.

I mean, sometimes you need to tell a PLAYER not to take things personally.

Now, people who do something rotten and then expect the OOC: Oh man, I'm just playing a jerk..so don't kill me or anything. ..That isn't right. If you are playing a jerk, then your character has to accept the consequences of BEING the jerk.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/25/2004 03:25 PM CST
<<Oh, do you mean when they IC something really mean spirited and then whisper "OOC: Dont be mad at me, my character is just an/a <explitive here>"

I'd take that as telling the player not to be mad. The character can still be mad of course. But it'd probably be good to double check with something like "OOC: K, but my character's still PO'd."

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/25/2004 09:01 PM CST
I'm talking about evil, not bad manners.

A ship's rat scurries into view.
The ship's rat tries to tend its wounds.
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/25/2004 09:28 PM CST
I'm talking about player courtesy while playing an evil character. Separate reality from fiction- it reduces the pucker facter.;)

Jerevth

I can't fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/27/2004 06:57 PM CST
<<Now, people who do something rotten and then expect the OOC: Oh man, I'm just playing a jerk..so don't kill me or anything. ..That isn't right. If you are playing a jerk, then your character has to accept the consequences of BEING the jerk.

That's actually what I mean. But why else would they say something like that unless they didnt want you to take it out on their character? What else could you possibly do to them? If someone wants to put their actions in context in such a way, it's not RP for one, and also implies that they aren't willing to accept the natural consequences of their own actions, which is why I dont like it.

~Teloxius
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/27/2004 07:18 PM CST
>>But why else would they say something like that unless they didnt want you to take it out on their character? What else could you possibly do to them?

Maybe to make them feel better about playing a jerkish character? To make sure they aren't making the player really pissed off? Some people do try to be nice for the sake of being nice, not just to avoid the consequences of being mean.
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 01/27/2004 08:23 PM CST
>>That's actually what I mean. But why else would they say something like that unless they didnt want you to take it out on their character? What else could you possibly do to them? If someone wants to put their actions in context in such a way, it's not RP for one, and also implies that they aren't willing to accept the natural consequences of their own actions, which is why I dont like it

Because there's a difference between being a Snert and playing behind policy, and letting someone know you're IC and your character is a jerk. Of course, if they're willing to accept their actions as IC, then they should be willing to get themselves killed.

~Katrenos

The bottom line here is that cursing is fun, and thats whats important. Also breaking things over peoples heads is fun. So as long as we can all argue in a way that is both fun and obscene we can all have a good time. -Sigmer
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 02/18/2004 11:25 PM CST
Ive been around DR for 5 years now (well off and on through some sleeping times heh) And I have to say ive really not seen anyon who could truely roleplay evil. Evil, atleast to me, is what you see in those anime movies like Vampire Hunter D or Blood the Last Vampire.. well you get the idea.

Whats a shame is I see a lot of RP starting to deteriorate in the realms, being replaced with competition or drama (dare I mention "SC"?). I feel as if in a year or two, DR will not be such a good well-rounded RP Game. 3-4 years ago things were a LOT different and a lot better, less drama and less 'trouble'. Ive never really htought my character evil, I always wanted her to be so badly. But however I must be doing something right because Ive received comments in whispers about my character. "You do a very good job fo that". "Its very hard to play how you play her". Etcetera.

I think the key to being 'eivl' isnt to run around screaming "DIE DIE DIE" (though I tend to say that a bit) and killing everyone. I think its moreso the ability to be anti-social, keep to yourself, and be strong - and give off that impression.

If a circle 50 stands over you and says "Im gonna keel you hee hee!"
well, that aint very evil n dark and stuff.
So creating the 'look' and impression and being able to intimidate others with that is good.

A fair few amount of people think my character is like twice the circle of what she actually is.

I spotted a reply in here somewhere though, something like "you're evil when you're grumpy, but when youre happy youre licking people and so forth".

Evil people can still be happy. But you need to keep refined. Think back to highschool.
Most of you probably had your own group you sat with, or sat alone. When you were happy, did you run around screaming it? Licking random people? Bouncing up and down?
Or did you share it with your group.
(or in the case of being alone you were prolly just depressed).

Roleplaying evil means you need to keep some steady emotions flowing. Not estatically hyper happy one moment, and super-evil-nazi the next.

Oh yeah. and dont go running around saying to people "U SUCK. I WILL PWNZ YOU". Cause we all know thats just wrrrong.

There was an article on a website a saw a little while ago, dedicated to DR + Roleplaying. i doubt they've updated much, but it was an Article on "Roleplaying Evil". I had a few articles myself on my old site but meh.
Anyway, check it out, its an ok read.: http://www.rpgeek.com

I dont think I covered all the points in this post - dont have time to (damn work!), so there will be many things left un-discussd. Therefor, feel free to argue with me on anything or point out something. However I think the key is to keep yourself on a steady 'level' of emotion and personality, and keeping to yourself, OR a small small group of 'friends'. And also not acting like a crazy murderous killer.

Which reminds me.

RPing evil doesnt give you the acception and 'consent' to go killing people. I think thats party of the whole RPing Evil 'policy'.

Oh well.. just my two cents I suppose.

- Chal
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 02/19/2004 04:08 PM CST
>>I think the key to being 'eivl' isnt to run around screaming "DIE DIE DIE" (though I tend to say that a bit) and killing everyone. I think its moreso the ability to be anti-social, keep to yourself, and be strong - and give off that impression.

Why the limitation on social life? Granted, you don't want it known you're a blood-crazed aryan maniac but that's no reason to avoid socializing. Even if you don't really like to, it can come in handy as a front to deflect suspicions away from you ("What?! Ol' Tom would never do something like that! Why, if it wasn't for him none of us would be here now!")
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 02/19/2004 06:09 PM CST
I guess limitation to a social life because thats usually how the 'evil' people in movies or whatever are usually portrayed as. Yes, they have their group of associates and friends, however if you were "friends" with half the mud and emotionally cared for a large amount of people, I doubt you'd call that evil or anywhere close ;p
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 02/19/2004 07:34 PM CST
<<I guess limitation to a social life because thats usually how the 'evil' people in movies or whatever are usually portrayed as. Yes, they have their group of associates and friends, however if you were "friends" with half the mud and emotionally cared for a large amount of people, I doubt you'd call that evil or anywhere close

You don't become friends with them so you become emotionally attached with them. You become friends with them so you can use them and so they become emotionally attached to you. That way if/when you finally unveil yourself, they have a larger hurdle to overcome than if they didn't know you at all.

~mors gratia artis
Re: When Evil isn't Apparent 02/19/2004 08:44 PM CST
yeah thats true. Sorry I should have added that in.
I also should have mentioned about the emotional attatchement hting. I guess, 'normally', people are 'friends' with who they like personally. if one so 'evil' were to let that be an attachement, meh not good.

Anyway yea you hit it right on the head. Wish i wasnt so time constrained at work heh. grin