Prev_page Previous 1
why play an rp game then 05/31/2014 11:58 PM CDT

this persons quote just made me laugh

profile xyngleburt
Name: Xyngleburt Pfeffernusse
Race: Gnome Spouse: No Info
Features: Xyngleburt has an oval face, crystal blue eyes and a freckled nose. His golden brown hair is short and thick, and is worn in a simple, loose style. He has fair skin and a thin build. He is short for a Gnome.

Roleplay Stance: Light
PvP Stance: Closed
Quote: "My PvP stance is not the default setting. I am willing to stay IC in terms of respecting the rp environment, but will remove myself from anything that has a clear potential of leading to player conflict. E.g. Necromancers, hostile RP, etc. I'm here to gain skills and occasionally interact socially in an rp-influenced chat room style. The heavy RP/PvP aspect of the game does not interest me in the slightest. Thank you for your consideration. "

MAYBE IM JUST OFF BUT SEEMS BIT OUT OF PLACE LOL
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 12:04 AM CDT
Not everybody plays to socialize. Some people, like this gentleman, play for numbers. There's nothing wrong with that or his quote. He's maintaining enough RP to play by the rules, and do the things he enjoys in this game and he's letting anyone who wishes to interact with him how he wants to play.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 12:06 AM CDT
Pretty nice of him to be upfront about what he wants out of the game.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 12:25 AM CDT
His stance may change as he gets to know people better IG.

Or it won't.

But yeah, at least he's up front about it.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 01:05 AM CDT
>>Devillec2: Quote: "My PvP stance is not the default setting. I am willing to stay IC in terms of respecting the rp environment, but will remove myself from anything that has a clear potential of leading to player conflict. E.g. Necromancers, hostile RP, etc. I'm here to gain skills and occasionally interact socially in an rp-influenced chat room style. The heavy RP/PvP aspect of the game does not interest me in the slightest. Thank you for your consideration."

I don't see a problem with this attitude as long as he's not doing anything to interfere with the immersion of those of us who enjoy role-playing. If anything, he is being considerate of us by telling us not to waste our time trying to role-play with him when it's not likely to generate a return on our investment.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 03:55 AM CDT
The quote is fine as long as he isn't using it to get out of Scripting while unresponsive. That is really the most plausible reason I can see anyone stating that in the manner they did.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 04:42 AM CDT
<<Not everybody plays to socialize. Some people, like this gentleman, play for numbers. There's nothing wrong with that or his quote. He's maintaining enough RP to play by the rules, and do the things he enjoys in this game and he's letting anyone who wishes to interact with him how he wants to play.

This. I don't PvP and don't like RPing. To paraphrase a recent quote by Armifer: I can't RP my way out of a paper bag.

The quote was put up in response to a necromancer who tried to interact with me in rats when I was starting out on that character. I ended up having to warn interact them after they followed me to another room after moving in an attempt to avoid interacting with them. The quote was put in place to both explain to people why I don't want such interactions and to hopefully prevent situations like that from happening again.

<<The quote is fine as long as he isn't using it to get out of Scripting while unresponsive. That is really the most plausible reason I can see anyone stating that in the manner they did.

Give me a break.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 07:51 AM CDT
I for one appreciate when people put little explanatory notes into their profile if they're not going to include an amusing quote.
Really, I appreciate when people have put anything in their profile.

But what has any of this have to do with policy on roleplaying "evil"?

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 07:51 AM CDT
IMO force RP on him. Really dig in and make him interact. This is an unacceptable stance and should be heavily policed by the playerbase. I am not saying to harass him, but I am saying teeter on the line of harassing him. Test the boundaries and stretch his comfort zone. This game is not about people feeling comfortable in their own way. It's about making everyone around you bend to your will for your entertainment.

tl;dr: Force yourself on him (RP-wise).

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 07:54 AM CDT
I liked the quote.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 08:13 AM CDT
<<But what has any of this have to do with policy on roleplaying "evil"?

Perhaps they felt it was an appropriate place to post because the quote uses specific examples that lean towards the evil side of role play in addition to effectively shutting down any evil roleplay avenues because of the potential for player conflict.

From the timing of the post with in-game events, I have a good idea of who the poster is in game and I suspect that they play an 'evil' type character based on a few clues like their title. There was no attempt at any sort of meaningful roleplay, good, evil, or otherwise aside from some general small talk about teaching a class, however, so the quote seems to have fulfilled its purpose quite effectively.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 08:53 AM CDT
No disrespect to you, but DR is a heavy RP game...

Your stance seems kind of strange. I mean its your choice, but it seems like a strange one.

--

<<No, I get to be an evil sociopath and psychopath when I want to, and kill babies for fun when I want to, but when game events start up, you don't have any right to treat me like a rapist murdering evil villain, you have to respect my rights to go to raffles and have high tea with nobles.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:11 AM CDT
<<No disrespect to you, but DR is a heavy RP game...

No disrespect to you, but DR is a game with the option for heavy RP.

It is also a game with an incredibly detailed skill system with lots of numbers, systems, and intricate scripting possibilities to delve into.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:14 AM CDT
<<No disrespect to you, but DR is a game with the option for heavy RP.

Addendum: The RP setting in profile alone should be indication enough of this. You can even choose none as an option, although maintaining at least a veneer of ICness is enforced.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:37 AM CDT
>>I am not saying to harass him, but I am saying teeter on the line of harassing him

So you want people to harass him, but play policy.

That's not obnoxious at all.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:41 AM CDT
<<So you want people to harass him, but play policy.
<<That's not obnoxious at all.

My sarcasm radar was tingling when I read his post.
My post was oozing with tongue-in-cheek, buddy. Everything's going to be okay. Hug?

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
>So you want people to harass him, but play policy.

I read the rest of his post and decided it was tongue in cheek as a response to the original poster. The 'it's about bending him to your will' bit did it for me.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:44 AM CDT
>>My post was oozing with tongue-in-cheek, buddy. Everything's going to be okay. Hug?

There will never be hugs. Ever. No hugs for Squanto.

Also, Poe's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:44 AM CDT
>>Also, Poe's Law.

Which would show up to a wikipedia link, but DR's forums can't handle apostrophes. Go figure.

Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:45 AM CDT
> So you want people to harass him, but play policy.

The force is strong in this one.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:47 AM CDT
>The force is strong in this one.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Seriously. You might think Tev is obnoxious, but your constant attempts to call him out, catch him out, comment on every one of his posts, is worse. Yes, YOU are WORSE than HIM. Please stop. I'd rather lick a gonif.

>>There will never be hugs. Ever. No hugs for Squanto.

I will find you. I will grab you. I will hug you eternally. You -will- learn to love me.

<<Poe's Law: Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.

I don't know... the whole "It's about making everyone around you bend to your will for your entertainment" thing is pretty darn blatant. I mean, who would seriously say that non-sarcastically?
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:50 AM CDT
<<>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

I love that this has become a go-to link all over the internet. I love the song and having it linked every couple of days is a wonderful surprise when it happens.

P.S. No sarcasm in this post, Pureblade. I actually do love listening to it whenever it gets linked. ;)
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 09:52 AM CDT
>Seriously. You might think Tev is obnoxious, but your constant attempts to call him out, catch him out, comment on every one of his posts, is worse. Yes, YOU are WORSE than HIM. Please stop. I'd rather lick a gonif.

Aww that's so cute to stand up for him like that. The world needs more of you. I accept you, Ucu.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 10:05 AM CDT
>Aww that's so cute to stand up for him like that. The world needs more of you. I accept you, Ucu.

If you know enough to rattle off a character I haven't played in 5 years, then you should know enough to know I can't stand him either.

But I don't follow him around the forums and whine about it like a petulant 3 year old either.

Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 10:19 AM CDT
>>I don't know... the whole "It's about making everyone around you bend to your will for your entertainment" thing is pretty darn blatant. I mean, who would seriously say that non-sarcastically?

Follow some PvP threads. You'd be amazed at how some people feel entitled on both sides of the PvP pro/con spectrum.

Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 10:36 AM CDT
<<Follow some PvP threads. You'd be amazed at how some people feel entitled on both sides of the PvP pro/con spectrum

That's exactly the point of the sarcasm. Also, no one in those threads ever explicitly says this. Hence, why it was obvious as sarcasm.

I'm beginning to suspect you're a lot more like Sheldon with respect to his inability to detect sarcasm than people realize. :P
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 10:40 AM CDT
I always wondered this so I figured I'd ask, since it's just something I personally don't understand. Why play in prime if you're not going to RP? If you just care about numbers, isn't that what TF is for? Running your scripts 24/7 without issue and such? People often assume TF to be some kind of place where you're just going to get murdered over and over by people flexing their epeen, but from what I can gather it has a small community of people who mostly are there because they're into the numbers and want to not have interaction.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 11:01 AM CDT
>>I'm beginning to suspect you're a lot more like Sheldon with respect to his inability to detect sarcasm than people realize. :P

No, I just have a very low expectation when it comes to how players act in relation to PvP and policy due to seeing how players act in relation to PvP and policy.

In other words, "let's skirt policy to annoy someone" isn't exactly something I would find shocking seeing someone say.

It's great that Squanto was being sarcastic instead of sincere, though!

Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 11:03 AM CDT
>But I don't follow him around the forums and whine about it like a petulant 3 year old either.

The forum isn't some vast open space where you have to go looking for people to respond to. It's pretty limited with minimal activity compared to other forums. I appreciate you trying to stick up for him, I really do, but with the handful of people that actively post its inevitable that our paths will cross. If you'd like I can also point you to plenty of threads I've contributed to, only for him to derail them with his troll like behavior.

I really like you, I think we should become friends. Want to make a secret handshake with me?
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 11:03 AM CDT
>>Why play in prime if you're not going to RP? If you just care about numbers, isn't that what TF is for?

TF isn't anti-RP. TF is anti-[most]-policy.

Prime is more passive-everything than pro-anything. The instance isn't pro-RP, but you're expected to not ruin RP for others. The instance isn't anti-PvP, but you shouldn't obligate others to PvP. Etc.

Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 11:09 AM CDT
<< Why play in prime if you're not going to RP? If you just care about numbers, isn't that what TF is for? Running your scripts 24/7 without issue and such?

Who said anything about running scripts 24/7? That's a big assumption to make. Caring about numbers doesn't necessarily mean caring only about amassing big numbers, although it can for some people. I enjoy tinkering with numbers and writing scripts and exploring and figuring out the intricacies of systems. I don't need to pay $5 extra or the ability to run scripts constantly in order to be able to do that, although I'm sure I would feel very comfortable in TF. My most recent Bartle type score, for reference in case you are familiar, is EASK (107/67/27/7). My E just happens to be strongly focused towards systems and OOC things about the game rather than lore and IC stuff.

And don't get me wrong, nothing about my quote says that I am completely a non-RP player, it's just something I don't prioritize at all. If someone wants to strike up a conversation in game, I'm more than willing to go along with it. That said, I don't have a character background or anything like that so you're not likely to get anything more deep that discussions about the weather or a recent invasion.

I believe my profile's RP setting pretty much describes my stance on RP to a tee:

<<3. LIGHT - This setting indicates that you enjoy casual roleplay but do not specifically set out to do so. This is ideal for people willing to interact with others in an in-character fashion and who enjoy socializing from time to time, but whom for participation in events and pursuing roleplay with others is a relatively low priority.

All of that said, I don't enjoy PvP at all (except on the forums :p) which is more what my quote addresses than anything else.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 11:24 AM CDT
I will add that the most awkward moments in game for me are when someone who is clearly a heavy roleplayer attempts to interact with me. I feel equal parts frustrated that someone is attempting to interact with me at a level outside my comfort zone with respect to skill and ability to maintain interest, and guilty that I'm frustrated by a simple attempt by someone else just trying to play the game the way they want to play it. Such is life when navigating a multi-player environment, I guess.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 12:11 PM CDT
>>I always wondered this so I figured I'd ask, since it's just something I personally don't understand. Why play in prime if you're not going to RP? If you just care about numbers, isn't that what TF is for? Running your scripts 24/7 without issue and such? People often assume TF to be some kind of place where you're just going to get murdered over and over by people flexing their epeen, but from what I can gather it has a small community of people who mostly are there because they're into the numbers and want to not have interaction.

Cost and availability of other players when you do come around to RPing would be my guess.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 12:18 PM CDT

Oh Hello.

I knew Squanto was being sarcastic. He needs to make a pink sign to cover that with his posts.

Let's stop bickering. I'm not certain any of this has a thing to do with role-playing evil other than the link to Frozen. that was mean.

Profiles are OOC and intended to convey, among other things, how players want to interact in game. You may not agree with it, but generally if you don't agree with someone, it's is highly suggested you avoid them for your own enjoyment. Then everyone is happy.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 12:32 PM CDT
>>Profiles are OOC and intended to convey, among other things, how players want to interact in game. You may not agree with it, but generally if you don't agree with someone, it's is highly suggested you avoid them for your own enjoyment. Then everyone is happy.<<

I love me some Annwyl. Always the voice of reason, sometimes painfully so. ;)

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 12:36 PM CDT
>No, I just have a very low expectation when it comes to how players act in relation to PvP and policy due to seeing how players act in relation to PvP and policy.

No, he's spot on. You simply take the most verbatim literal possible interpretation of things, AND extract them down to the most finite detail, which makes having a normal conversation with you impossible, because normal people understand and accept hyperbole, generalization, etc. while you do not. In that frame of reference, you are much like interacting with someone who has a strain of autism. I don't use that as an insult mind you. It's just...nearly impossible to have a real conversation with you anywhere nearby because you swoop in and redirect everything.

Re: why play an rp game then 06/01/2014 05:47 PM CDT
While I'm an RP heavy kinda person myself, I can appreciate that profile. It's honest and open and lets me know what to expect - exactly what a profile should be. Added bonus - it's not RP None (which should be a setting restricted to The Fallen, imo.) At least I can be relatively confident Xyngleburt isn't gonna be wandering around talking about sportsball games (other than 'togball) and real-world politics, which makes him okay enough by me. I'd even go so far as to say that this profile suggests the very model of an RP Light player. Kudos.
Prev_page Previous 1