Prev_page Previous 1
Gwethsmashers 10/17/2004 06:28 PM CDT
It's recently become aware to me that there is very little policy involving Gwethsmashers. The incident I have encountered is this, A gweth was smashed for no valid reason and the GMs would not tell who was the cause nor give the victim any retrobution or reason as to why. All they told us that it was a Player owned Gwethsmasher that was used.

The situation is this, Allaya was going to the cleric guild to see if I needed any help. When she got there she gwethed asking for a Paladin to come glyph, now I personally don't have a gweth but I trust that that is all she said since afterall the GH didn't say, 'Well you said this.' There was no cause, and I was told by Algion I would be violating policy by attacking this person, and as would Allaya. Though his words were to me, he meant Allaya as well. The GH Would not tell us who used it and niether would Algion. I didn't really expect him to though anyway.

My problems with this are as follows ---
1) There was no cause for the gwethsmasher to be used except spite.
2) There was no retrubution we could take, for there was no IC way for us to know who did it.
3) The GH would not tell us who, or even give us any way to understand why policy would follow such an easily abused path.

This is abuse to me, especially considering who it is rumored to be. There is no right for such a 'tool' to be given to players if there is no way to control their use of it unless they over do it. Lets face it, the problem isn't usually someone going around killing everyone they see, the problem is the one that kills a single person for no reason. Why should this sort of abuse be any different?

I'd like to ask for either gwethsmashers to be completely removed, or a policy to be implamented so it would fit Consent laws. Also, show who used the smasher and grant consent on the user. If anyone else uses the gwethsmasher for someone else it would be violating the policy and removed, or broken itself.

~Venic
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/17/2004 08:10 PM CDT
The main problem I have with gwethsmasher is that you can't see who did it. If you got some sort of vision of the person who did it, then you could go deal with them however you see fit. Since gweth smashing amounts to destroying someone else's items, it grants consent. But there's no way to act on that consent if you don't know who did it. It should either be changed to tell you, or changed so that using it inappropriately would bring removal of the ability, much like snipe.
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/17/2004 08:17 PM CDT
>>There was no cause for the gwethsmasher to be used except spite.

Cool

>>There was no retrubution we could take, for there was no IC way for us to know who did it.

Even cooler

>>The GH would not tell us who, or even give us any way to understand why policy would follow such an easily abused path.

Thats awesome

Sounds like yer all upset cause you don't have one...

>>I'd like to ask for either gwethsmashers to be completely removed

this = if i can't have one no one should....boo hoo

>>or a policy to be implamented so it would fit Consent laws

it is:
1. you can only use it once a RL day
2. you have have to be bigger to smash someone
3. you have to be way bigger to smash someone not in the same room
4. as for consent....get bigger so that have to use it in the same room so you know who done it

>>the problem is the one that kills a single person for no reason. Why should this sort of abuse be any different?

it doesn't kill or hurt the person....that makes it different

On another note Venic how many times have you bragged to other people about how you broke policy and talked yer way out of a warning.....cmon let it go......i guarantee Allaya will be smashed again by the fella thats doing it

- DZ - (half owner of a gweth smasher)
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/17/2004 11:03 PM CDT
Smashing someone's gweth grants consent. I've used it before.

I am --- Navak
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/17/2004 11:54 PM CDT
>>Smashing someone's gweth grants consent.

The problem is that having consent doesn't do a bit of good if there's no way to know who you have consent against. That's why snipe is a "use it responsibly or lose it" ability - if you can hurt another player in some way without them knowing who did it, you should face the consequences for targeting people for no reason.
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/18/2004 01:13 PM CDT
Ya know, it doesn't harm them in any way but give them a stun and break their gweths, ::gasp:: you mean the gwethsmasher ::gasps again:: Smashes Gweths? Yes folks it is designed for that purpose, hence the name... i know it sucks and all but i entertain myself immensely with it and isn't that what really matters?

Evasion Junkie Algion
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/18/2004 01:24 PM CDT
Hey GMs....it definetly, without a doubt, should tell you who smashed your gweth. Otherwise I might have to roll up a ranger on an anonymous account and sit outside Xing sniping people all day.

Seriously, that's inconsistent policy.

If player A can smash player B's gweth without player B knowing about it, then player B should be able to report. If I had a 100th ranger and sat outside of crossing sniping newbs, the newbs would have no way of knowing. However, newbs could report and I could get in trouble.

Why is on anonymous attack different than the other in regards to policy?

Or make it non-anonymous, and the person who got their gweth smashed has consent (similar to how it is now).

Policy inconsistencies like this are probably my biggest gripe with the game.

Player of Tessaa
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/18/2004 02:01 PM CDT
<<i entertain myself immensely with it and isn't that what really matters?>>

We are here for your entertainment pleasure.

~Tykyra~
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/18/2004 05:44 PM CDT
Well here's the deal... 2 gwethsmashers... 438975493875984 thieves and rangers that can snipe... the gwethsmasher does 0 zip none zilch nada damage to the person who got smashed beyond them having to go buy more gweths, most people get them free anyway

Evasion Junkie Algion
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/18/2004 07:46 PM CDT
>Well here's the deal... 2 gwethsmashers... 438975493875984 thieves and rangers that can snipe...

Number of people with the ability doesn't matter. It's the principle of the matter, Mr. Man.

>the gwethsmasher does 0 zip none zilch nada damage to the person who got smashed beyond them having to go buy more gweths, most people get them free anyway

I don't wear gweths hardly ever. When I do, that 10-15 plat I spend on them is more valuable than 1 death. Yes, smashing tessaa's gweth would be worse the killing tessaa.

Still, it's inconsistent policy. One ability is anonymous and reportable and you can have it taken away because the ability for snipe to be anonymous is abusebale. But now another ability is anonymous but suddenly not reportable or abuseable?

Just make it say the smasher's name. And the target has consent.

CONSISTENCY.

Player of Tessaa
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/18/2004 08:25 PM CDT
Ya know, I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. Snipe actually kills people, hence the need for people to use it responsibly and if they don't the ability is removed. Gwethsmashing does NOT kill anyone, it just destroys a gweth, no other damage to your body whatsoever. Boo hoo. If you don't want your gweth possibly smashed by someone like Algion, I suggest you don't annoy him with it. But then, that's just my humble opinion.

~Tykyra~
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/18/2004 10:13 PM CDT
What is the rationale behind letting someone have a device that allows them to arbitrarily smash someone's gweth in the first place?
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/18/2004 10:53 PM CDT
I wish I had a gwethsmasher. I'd start rapidly circling and smashing every ::hugger::'s gweth I could find.

In the end, though, there should be consent and knowledge of who did the deed. 15 plat is more valuable to most people than one death.

--Quelgash.
"Do not go where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail." -Emerson
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/18/2004 11:38 PM CDT
>15 plat is more valuable to most people than one death.

Yes. I don't see why other's can't grasp this.

Player of Tessaa
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 12:03 AM CDT
Probably because to those 'other's' 15 plat a drop is nothing.

~Tykyra~
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 12:08 AM CDT
You do have consent... problem solved

Evasion Junkie Algion
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 12:34 AM CDT
If you fail the conentration check, does the gwethsmasher message the target your name and a message that you attempted to break their gweth?

Also when this happens, is one way consent in place?

By one way consent, I mean like when I catch a thief in my pockets. I can kill him, but he can't go ahead and attack me until I prep a spell or attack him or whatever.

Or, if you prefer, when you snipe someone and fail and the arrow misses and it messages your name.

Player of Tessaa
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 01:02 AM CDT
if you fail the conc check it smashes your gweths

Evasion Junkie Algion
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 02:54 AM CDT
>if you fail the conc check it smashes your gweths
>Evasion Junkie Algion

You have to be wearing gweths for it to work?

Player of Tessaa
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 07:53 AM CDT
They also destroy albredine rings. Oh - and they also destroy the chains that your gweths came on - so if you have special chains, say bye bye to them, too. Now, the one time it happened to me - I didn't know what happened. The only reason I knew what happened was because the smasher found me, apologized, and replaced my gweths. (was an accident - playing with a new toy) Had he not found me right when he did - you better believe I was reporting. I had no clue what happened...I was standing, in a safe area by myself when all of a sudden - my gweths and crystal ring blew up. I don't understand why it doesn't message to the victim who did it...especially seeing how they don't even have to be in the same room. There's no warning, there's no way to find out who did it. That just seems wrong. Sure - you may have fun blowing peoples gweths up and freaking them out, but feels like a system that is just waiting to be abused.

~Chris, player of Field Medic Nimmi

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege. - Unknown
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 07:56 AM CDT
GMs can and do the same thing with no messaging.

I am --- Navak
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 08:31 AM CDT
<<GMs can and do the same thing with no messaging.>>

Yep. and they are GMs. Not players..and generally - they have a reason to do so and a fair amount of warning comes first from my experience with GMs.

Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 02:23 PM CDT
Seems simple matter of consistancy here- the person whose gweth is smashed should know who smashed it. What is the problem with this? Why would the person who smashed it care? Do they have a reason to want to hide behind anonymity? I think they should identify the smasher, let it be consent and be unreportable.

I realize there are only 2 or 3 around, but the principle remains the same. Whether the person using the gwethsmasher is a jerk or a saint, they should be able to stand up to their use of the device.

Flavius
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 03:18 PM CDT
1. Gwethsmashers are cool, dont take them away or anything similar.

2. There should be a concentration check to see who did it, why should it happen automatically?

3. That being said maybe the messaging could be changed when it happens to make it clear that the persons gweths were destroyed by an unkown person using a magical device. That way newbs wouldnt be totally confused.

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 06:09 PM CDT
<<That way newbs wouldnt be totally confused.>>

You don't have to be a "newb" to be confused when it happens.

Re: Gwethsmashers 10/19/2004 09:37 PM CDT
It does a whole lotta good to grant consent on someone that smashed your gweth, considering 2 things.

a) The person that smashed your gweths from a distance has much more concentration then you do, therefore...

b) That person is much bigger than you, and makes consent absolutely worthless.

What good does it do much of anyone, save a handful of folks, to come after a 90+ ranger???????

Personally, I think it sounds like just a toy only a handful of folks can ever use and get away with, simply because the consent fact. Sorry, I'm not going to go search for someone that much bigger than me to just add a death onto my now smashed gweths.

Not everyone has a MM in their back pocket to make them free gweths, and not everyone has the plats to buy new ones right away.
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/20/2004 01:49 AM CDT
When and why did "gwethsmashers" come to be anyways?

Player of Shollagar
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/20/2004 09:12 AM CDT
>>b) That person is much bigger than you, and makes consent absolutely worthless.

Just cause bigger, don't mean more combats or necessarily has to see it coming. Yes most times it will make the point mute but there are those of us who over train.

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/20/2004 10:09 AM CDT
>b) That person is much bigger than you, and makes consent absolutely worthless.

So basically what you're saying is we should eliminate consent rules if the person is, what, 20 circles higher than you?

There's still spousal consent, and Moon Mage with cruddy defenses consent, and so on. So why shouldn't everyone know who used the gwethsmasher to destroy their gweths, so they have at least an opportunity to kill the offending person?

So, Algion, you should try being a little more concise with your answers. I think we were all aware we had consent before post #614. We want to know who we have consent on, not wait for them to brag about smashing our gweths, and probably do so in person since we don't have a gweth to hear them brag anymore.

--Quelgash.
"Do not go where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail." -Emerson
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/20/2004 12:36 PM CDT
Make it a concentration check, if you fail that you don't get to know who did it and you're gweths get smashed. Then you can train and overcome that, right? Not like a GM is going to tell you who sniped you if they had consent on you, and sniped and you didn't see who it was.

I am --- Navak
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/20/2004 08:29 PM CDT
You require consent to use snipe in the first place; if you needed consent to use a gwethsmasher then the anonymity is not an issue. But if someone has a bad day, they could smash any random person's gweth if they felt like it. It wouldn't be hard to go on a gweth smashing rampage (such as is possible with the 1/day limit) and never get caught or even suspected, rendering the consent issue moot.

The anonymity of snipe is the reason it is so carefully guarded against abuse. If gwethsmashers remain anonymous, then they should be subject to similar strict policies, as not everyone can afford to buy new gweths.

"Perhaps the angel world might even be set up with ectoplasm causally dependent on physical properties, so that wombat copulation on the physical plane sometimes gives rise to baby ectoplasmic wombats on the nonphysical plane." - David J. Chalmers
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/20/2004 08:34 PM CDT
>>>It wouldn't be hard to go on a gweth smashing rampage (such as is possible with the 1/day limit) and never get caught or even suspected, rendering the consent issue moot.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider 1/day a 'rampage'.

Blue Fire
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/20/2004 08:36 PM CDT
You could certainly ruin someone's week. I know I don't make enough in a week's worth of hunting to afford new gweths every day, and as long as I'm not in a crowded area like the crossing I find gweths indispensable.

"Perhaps the angel world might even be set up with ectoplasm causally dependent on physical properties, so that wombat copulation on the physical plane sometimes gives rise to baby ectoplasmic wombats on the nonphysical plane." - David J. Chalmers
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/21/2004 11:48 AM CDT
If your gweth is getting smashed every day for a week for no apparent reason, then I would say it could be considered harassment. Otherwise, I don't see the gwethsmashers as being particularly abusable, nor do I feel they need any changes, unless it is to make them useable more frequently.
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/21/2004 12:19 PM CDT
I've still never seen an official GM response to what (if any) effect gwethsmashers have on LTB unbreakable gweths. I'd really like to know.

Gizella
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/21/2004 01:01 PM CDT
Gwethsmashing is NOGM thats why

-DZ-
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/22/2004 03:44 AM CDT
Its always been said gwethsmashers are pretty much not being touched by GM's. From what I know theres a concentration check to see if the user can actually smash the target gweth, but other then that, thats pretty much as much of a check as there is. It is impossible to see who smashed your gweth. Luckily, there are VERY few gwethsmashers so its usually pretty easy to figure out who did it.

As for "rampaging" 1/day is hardly a rampage.

As for "Harassment" I think its laughable that smashing someones gweth 1/day would be called harassment anyway. But this is the policy folder, and the policy players are rampant here.

Honestly, its a gwethsmasher. Whats it made to do? Why, by george, its made to smash gweths. If its owned by a jerk, and they want to be a jerk with it and smash peoples gweths, heck, that really sucks, but thats pretty much summing the situation up in a sentence.

As for the gweths/ltb gweths, its real simple as it was explained to me once (I forget by whom). You have consent on whomever smashed your gweth. If an LTB gweth is destroyed, you have consent on the person until they replace your expensive gweth. Since you cant buy an LTB gweth, I think people sell the 5 year (I think they are 5 year, maybe 6) for like 500-600 plat? That would be, in my eyes, fair compensation for such an item(According to item theft policy such as graverobbing, you have consent on someone until an item is returned, or until agreeable compensation has been provided for the taken item, I dont see how smashing a 600 plat gweth would be any different then throwing away someones 600 plat armor that you graverobbed). Until I was compensated in such a manner, I would exact my consent whenever possible.

Low level people who couldnt possible win in a PVP conflict against someone big: if someone smashes your gweth and they are way over your circle, I suggest graverobbing them when they die at some point down the line, or dragging their corpse in hard-to-find places when they die. Patience is a virtue, people expect you to try to "take revenge" immedeately. Wait a few days, a week, a month, let things settle and be forgotton, and when they slip up, thats when you take something shiny back for yourself. That would be my suggestion anyway.

After carefully gauging the distance to Maelshyve, you lash out at her!
The piercing screech of tortured air assaults your ears, punctuated by a sharp CRACK!!
Don't be a fool!
Roundtime: 1 second.
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/22/2004 08:27 AM CDT
I don't think it breaks LTB gweths, it just shuts them off for a time.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

For me, there is no perfect day.
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/22/2004 08:28 AM CDT
>>I don't think it breaks LTB gweths, it just shuts them off for a time.

Would be nice if a GM could speak on this issue. It has been asked more than once, yet never an answer has been given.

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: Gwethsmashers 10/22/2004 09:39 AM CDT
>>>Would be nice if a GM could speak on this issue. It has been asked more than once, yet never an answer has been given.

I'm also waiting, and my LTB gweths are waiting in my vault to see the light of day again.

~Dulcinia

The spotted leopard growls, "great...someone just walked in on me playing with my wood"
Prev_page Previous 1