Consent 02/21/2010 08:19 PM CST
Wow. I been gone a year and a half and there is an obnoxious amount of consent rules now. Sad that we need them, but I keep reading some players are pvp open and some are pvp closed or guarded or something. Is there a verb i should know about that tells you if someone is open or closed or that i can change my char's position?
Re: Consent 02/21/2010 08:21 PM CST
There's really not much that has changed. If someone is open they're basically saying they consent to any pvp at any time, and cannot report for it.

You can type PROFILE to check someone's profile or for info on how to change yours.

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "She has many talents."
>
Kssarh says, "Some of which can be discussed in public."
Re: Consent 02/21/2010 09:38 PM CST
>Wow. I been gone a year and a half and there is an obnoxious amount of consent rules now.

No, you were just ignorant before. If anything, the rules have been loosened.
Re: Consent 02/23/2010 01:26 PM CST
>No, you were just ignorant before. If anything, the rules have been loosened.<

You're probably right. I used to get in a lot of conflicts, just never once had they resulted in a GM intervention. They just took care of themselves. I just don't remember nearly as much wording or specifics going into the policy on it. I'm probably reading too much into it from the excessive wording and examples in there now.

Thanks for the profile tip.
Re: Consent 02/23/2010 01:32 PM CST
<<You're probably right. I used to get in a lot of conflicts, just never once had they resulted in a GM intervention. They just took care of themselves.>>

Sounds like you conflicted with some laid back people.

How much policy comes into play really depends on the players you conflict with more than anything else.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Consent 02/23/2010 03:22 PM CST
>>I used to get in a lot of conflicts, just never once had they resulted in a GM intervention.

I hear this from a lot of old players. It leads me to believe that the DR population way back then were not nearly as report-happy as they are now. Fortunately, I think the GMs aren't as harsh about it in recent days (I could be wrong though).

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Consent 02/23/2010 03:49 PM CST
Probably because back when there were 900 people in the realms and the highest players were in there 40s or 50s...the gap in player wasnt quite so huge. If someone wanted to they could buff/find ways of getting a kill on someoene alot higher, well spanning 15 circles was doable. Now someone is 100 plus and thinks they can do whatever, its almost impossible for a 50ish player to do anything about it but take it like a man (which is something alot of players need to learn how to do, and would solve most of the problems). And with that many people the chances of someone in their 10s or 20s knowing someone around 40 seemed alot better, its just my opinion but it seems like theres a bigger disconnect between higher and lower players now. And also with that many players that weren't playing 3 chars at once, there was a very small chance that char was just the 3rd char of a top 5 barb 'brother' of his. Blah Blah Blah, PvP definetely seemed a whole different animal 10 years ago to me. But of course thats my opinion.
Re: Consent 02/23/2010 03:59 PM CST
The worst part of consent policy is the statute of limitations dealy they have going.

So even if you do manage to catch up to someone that murdered you for no reason, your consent is probably long gone.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Consent 02/23/2010 04:10 PM CST
From what I gather though now, if they are PvP closed or even guarded, they could just report you for killing them for no reason and you get a violation. Is it the same now with PvP open, or can someone just walk in, shoot you, and leave without fear of a report?
Re: Consent 02/23/2010 04:20 PM CST
If you're open, someone can murder you, even repeatedly, and you will be told "tough" if you try to report.

Closed is the same PvP consent policy we've always had.

Guarded is meant to be looser, but the policy for it is not actually different. Theoretically if a dispute falls within a grey area, the GM will be able to take their "guarded" stance into consideration and opt not to warn the person being reported.

The lack of a concrete policy distinction between Closed and Guarded leads a lot of people to treat them the same, which isn't unfortunately incorrect in many cases. However, the inability of many DR players to be classy and respectful is what has lead to the use of PvP Open as a systemic punishment by GMs.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Consent 02/25/2010 10:44 AM CST
If only people could accept the fact they got killed for acting like jerks. I am set at guarded. I figure if I purposely say something that ticks someone off I might get killed for it.

I have been murdered several times because I was a smartass. It was no big deal to me. I deserved it.

You have to watch out for the policy jerks though. A few folks out there purposely set people up for reports.

Mujaki, paladin of the people.
Re: Consent 02/25/2010 05:17 PM CST
I really think the idea of Guarded needs to be fleshed out, it is a valid rp option and is should not give the protection that it currently does to the people that entrap others so they may report.

Miv
I would rather have an intelligent enemy than a stupid friend.
Re: Consent 02/25/2010 05:22 PM CST
I can understand why guarded kinda needs to be left a big wide grey area though, its too hard to really iron out any minute detail.

I'd be happy if it can be explicitly stated that PvP GUARDED permits hiring out a 3rd party to champion for the consent someone has on you.

i.e. Empath Ralph Puff has consent on Thief Keith Teef but would die trying to do anything to Keith, Ralph Puff should be able to hire someone to take out Keith without needing a spouse provided Keith is PvP Guarded and the mercenary states Ralph's contract as the reason for the kill.
Re: Consent 02/25/2010 09:33 PM CST
Wow, really? People just bait other people to report them? I'd say get a life but ah...i guess we're all glued to a computer playing an extremely advanced D&D. I suppose the chanced of us starting our own list of players that want to be open to PvP but handle it among ourselves would be too difficult. Would be interesting tho, basically be able to handle our business ourselves (like it really should be) and if someone tries abusing it set a list-wide huntdown on them, or just as a whole ignore them completely. I dunno it just seems ridiculous there has to be so much ifs thens buts put into it, but im sure that opinions been aired 1,000 times already so blah blah blah...bring back permadeath and let it get 'handled'.
Re: Consent 02/26/2010 10:07 AM CST
If you're willing to accept that anything could happen to your character and you can roll with it, I highly recommend setting to open. It's better for the game as a whole.

Especially with respect to Mujaki's most recent comment about being worried of policy playing type jerks - GMs will lock characters to open even if they havn't broken policy. So if some guarded/closed character is going around murdering opens, they'll eventually get set to open.
Re: Consent 02/26/2010 11:29 AM CST
I set all my characters to open and almost never run into trouble. When I get into fights, sometimes people are a little more eager to jump in and help their friends kill me, but I rarely die more than once or twice in a conflict, and it's nearly always something I chose.

The thing is, dying doesn't lose you much unless the person is camping your body or graverobbing you. That kind of behavior is fairly rare, but when it happens, you are still able to seek help from a GM or other player. I tend to go with the "one death and the fight is over" system because no matter which way it goes, I can still walk away with fairly little hassle.

What I see a lot of is people who want to RP these belligerent and tough characters, but personally can't deal with the idea of PVP. It's funny to watch, but in all honesty the game is less fun if people are coming away with hurt feelings--I feel a lot better about killing someone if I know they're laughing on their end about it. I think the mentors ought to do some OOC PvP lectures or something.

At any rate, try to have your characters' behavior reflect their PVP stance. If you're PVP closed, you should either avoid making threats and beating your chest, or find a way to do it that doesn't result in people coming to kill you.
Re: Consent 02/26/2010 11:55 AM CST
Only times I have ever been jumped as open (always open), I deserved it and love the way it played out.

>>That being said... If you are going to damn yourself, you may as well do it all the way. -GM Abasha
Avengers and Consent 06/18/2010 02:44 PM CDT
A friend told me that an Empath doesn't need consent to sic an avenger on another player and that siccing an avenger on another player doesn't grant consent on the Empath.

This position strikes me as being inconsistent with policy. Will a GM please answer the following questions?

1. Does an Empath need consent to sic his avenger on another player?

2. If an Empath makes his avenger attack someone, does the player have consent on the Empath?

3. If a player attacks an Empath's avenger (without provocation), does the Empath have consent on the attacker?

4. If an area effect spell (such as Ball Lightning) hits an Empath's avenger, does the Empath have consent to attack the caster?

Thanks!

Teilan: PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this.
Re: Avengers and Consent 06/18/2010 02:45 PM CDT
I'm no gm, but I can answer you with what seems logical:

1) Yes (or maybe not, see zombies).
2) Yes.
3) Yes (see zombies).
4) No.
Consent Question 09/25/2010 11:35 PM CDT

>>******** i think this covers the healing of people involved in the fighting ****************

>>Obviously, we cannot cover every possible scenario that will arise. When one player attacks or kills another without a determinable cause, that is potential grounds for unconsented PvP. This includes players getting involved in conflicts that do not involve them in any direct fashion.

Ok I have a question... Was having a discussion with some people about empaths and clerics getting targeted during encouters with others.

From the above statement, I would say healing and aiding a living person would warrent consent in a conflict.

What about healing and raising a corpse?
Does consent end as soon as 1 of the involved parties die?
Re: Consent Question 09/25/2010 11:43 PM CDT
<<Does consent end as soon as 1 of the involved parties die? >>

Depends on how consent was granted. If, for example, one of the people was granted consent on the other by way of theft (item or otherwise) then consent can last until the return of the item(s) or acceptable compensation is given.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Consent Question 09/25/2010 11:51 PM CDT
>> <<Does consent end as soon as 1 of the involved parties die? >>

>>Depends on how consent was granted. If, for example, one of the people was granted consent on the other by way of theft (item or otherwise) then consent can last until the return of the item(s) or acceptable compensation is given.

No, it wasnt theft. it was a bunch of over skilled people who like to abuse their skills... Randomly killing, so when people showed up to try and stop them from doing so... and they ended up dying. The empaths and clerics trying to heal the defenders that died, got targeted.
Re: Consent Question 09/25/2010 11:56 PM CDT
And I ask because I want to make sure... considering this is also the case...

taken from news 5 25
--- DRAWING/FACING, ADVANCING ---

* We're arguing or otherwise involved in a negative discourse. Suddenly, you draw a weapon and start advancing on me. Is that consent?
YES -- I may have no idea what you're going to do, but I have to assume that if you're doing it in the middle of a confrontation, you're intending to harm me. Accordingly, I can defend myself.

What about aiming a loaded bow or other projectile weapon? Consent?
YES -- Again, the intent looks to be violent.

* What about simply removing my bow? Is that consent?
NO -- You still need to load and aim. Until there's a ready-to-use weapon in your hand, it's not consent. REMOVE BOW isn't the same as DRAW SWORD. AIM is where the hostile intent is revealed with a weapon of this sort.

I see it as the defenders advancing the people... thus giving consent. When the defenders died, Consent also ended.

Or is that not the case?
Re: Consent Question 09/25/2010 11:57 PM CDT
If you're healing someone who's in the middle of a conflict then you're participating in that conflict.
Re: Consent Question 09/25/2010 11:58 PM CDT
>>If you're healing someone who's in the middle of a conflict then you're participating in that conflict.

The question is about the corpses. Does healing corpses provide consent?

Does death, not stop consent? considering its nothing at all related to theft.
Re: Consent Question 09/26/2010 12:08 AM CDT
<<The question is about the corpses. Does healing corpses provide consent?

I can't think of a circumstance where simply healing a corpse would grant consent.

That said, if you're talking about the scrap in Lang last night it was basically a small war. There's a ton of scroll, running, fighting, etc. Sometimes it can be hard to remember who's open and who's a reporter. There was a triage room with a banner up 99% of the time.
Re: Consent Question 09/26/2010 12:13 AM CDT

>>That said, if you're talking about the scrap in Lang last night it was basically a small war. There's a ton of scroll, running, fighting, etc. Sometimes it can be hard to remember who's open and who's a reporter. There was a triage room with a banner up 99% of the time.

Yes I am, it lasted 5 hours? And there were many times when clerics and empaths who werent fighting got targeted. While I myself am not either of those. It really pissed me off. As well as many others.

Hence why Im asking about the consent on aiding corpses.
I do appreciate your response.
Re: Consent Question 09/26/2010 10:41 AM CDT
>>URAKI: From the above statement, I would say healing and aiding a living person would warrent consent in a conflict. What about healing and raising a corpse?

If an Empath knowingly interferes with an ongoing conflict by healing one of the (living) combatants, his opponent will have consent against that Empath. However, once a combatant dies, his opponent doesn't have consent against an Empath or Cleric who heals or raises the corpse. (This is true even if one combatant has perpetual "theft" consent against the deceased.)

>>URAKI: Does consent end as soon as 1 of the involved parties die?

Generally, consent ends upon the death of either party. However, if consent arose from theft, the consent persists until the stolen item/money is returned to its owner (or both parties agree to end the conflict).

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Consent Question 09/26/2010 02:19 PM CDT
Thank You Isharon.

This is exactly what I was looking for.