Baiting. 04/24/2015 07:39 AM CDT
Can we please stop stealing from people solely for the purpose of getting guarded and closed stance people to do something that might be considered consent, up to and including gang harassment and taking the very first opportunity to draw blades when the other person, whom may be one against many, is purely defensive?
Re: Baiting. 04/24/2015 08:06 AM CDT
Convoluted passive aggressive statements are not your friends.

It's not really mechanics abuse to incite people to RP or PvP, as I read your post?

Your statement: people are stealing from other people to incite them to react.

If the person is closed, they can use warn interact, or other methods to say 'please leave me alone', but that's never a protection from stealing.

If the thief is stealing from that single person, specifically and repeatedly, to get them to react, it can be harassment. If it's done by a group, it is also probably harassment. You can report these actions.
Re: Baiting. 04/24/2015 08:43 AM CDT

Yeah the group thing is a bit much. Call them out for it and ask for assistance if this is really what is happening. As far as one person repeatedly doing the stealing...well if its easy coins, of course they will repeat it. Take away the reward by tying your pouch and not carrying coin. If there's nothing to steal, problem goes away.
Re: Baiting. 04/24/2015 09:44 AM CDT

My annoyance is less that the stealing is happening ( its a mechanic in the game, for obvious reasons ) but after someone informs another that they're stolen from by said person, and the person who was targeted spreads the information to others, the said thief OPENLY makes attempts ( not from hiding ) and then harasses said person who goes to the guards to accuse, then another one comes along to purposely thump and harass said targeted player, is stolen from even more ( with or without coins ), and eventually said person is attacked.
Sure, I could have used the warm verb, had I known things would escalate along those paths. Truth is, I didn't expect or believe things were going to come to blows, atleast not that swiftly.
I am, after all, not a violent person nor am I someone who believes in might makes right.
Re: Baiting. 04/24/2015 10:07 AM CDT
What you've described is textbook harassment. If you want it to stop, you can report it.
Re: Baiting. 04/24/2015 10:20 AM CDT
Well, I did discuss the incident with GMs already. This was more of a community plea to say "Hey, you guys, this is not cool. Plz stop." otherwise I would have been FAR more detailed.
Re: Baiting. 04/24/2015 10:32 AM CDT

Good for you. Its easy for people to absentmindedly write you off as someone who didnt care to role play it out.

You did the right thing, you contacted staff about a behavior you didnt agree with.

When that didnt satisfy you brought it to the community forums.

More should do what you did.
Re: Baiting. 04/24/2015 11:20 AM CDT

<<When that didnt satisfy you brought it to the community forums.

The staff, AT MY REQUEST, did not look further into the incident. They did try to get me to agree to them looking into it, but I had already given all parties a warn interact and decided that was enough.
After I was assaulted. But I went here because I wanted to bring up my infuriation over the actions of them in a community forum over getting "The Law" onto them.

The incident in question was rather short but it did ruin my night. I was, afterall, talking to someone about where to hunt with him, then the thievery fun started and I felt at a loss as to what people expect you to do when thieves target you multiple times. Not doing nothing is condoning bad behavior. but not having a character strong enough to handle random stealth attacks is easily commonplace for a player who hasn't been able to get to the higher echelons.
Re: Baiting. 04/24/2015 11:41 AM CDT
>>I felt at a loss as to what people expect you to do when thieves target you multiple times. Not doing nothing is condoning bad behavior.

It actually has the opposite effect, trust me. If you know they are just baiting you into something you don't want to do, then ignore them and walk away. They are looking for a reaction, and anything you give them will just fuel the fire. After a couple of times of you ignoring them they will stop.
Re: Baiting. 04/24/2015 11:55 AM CDT
>>They are looking for a reaction, and anything you give them will just fuel the fire.

I'm a strong opponent to the "don't feed the trolls" mindset.

Harassing behavior like this sometimes has the end goal of "we want this person to shut up and/or go away," so shutting up and going away sometimes condones the behavior as well.

Sunlight is the best medicine, etc etc etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
::Post Hidden:: 04/24/2015 12:31 PM CDT

A post was removed.

Folks, let's keep this to suggestions for what to do when someone finds themselves in an in game situation like this.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Baiting. 08/08/2015 11:19 PM CDT

>>Can we please stop stealing from people solely for the purpose of getting guarded and closed stance people to do something that might be considered consent, up to and including gang harassment and taking the very first opportunity to draw blades when the other person, whom may be one against many, is purely defensive?<<

I've notice this happens alot infront of the empath guild.

bully: call me a thief again and i will kill you

soon to be dead person: i just saw you stealing from people

bully goes into hide and ambush till the person who speaks up against the bullyng behavior is dead.
Re: Baiting. 08/09/2015 04:12 AM CDT

>>Can we please stop stealing from people solely for the purpose of getting guarded and closed stance people to do something that might be considered consent, up to and including gang harassment and taking the very first opportunity to draw blades when the other person, whom may be one against many, is purely defensive?<<

>>> I've notice this happens alot infront of the empath guild.

>>> bully: call me a thief again and i will kill you

>>> soon to be dead person: i just saw you stealing from people

>>> bully goes into hide and ambush till the person who speaks up against the bullyng behavior is dead.

Hmmm. I'm pretty skeptical this is how it goes down. I've caught some pretty onerous people stealing. Both on my newbies and my higher characters. It's usually a word battle but I've never felt in danger of being attacked. Plus if a high character thief is killing people for catching him stealing... there is a lot of people in the realms that would help that person out.

I also noticed there is a lot of misinformation out there about stealing on the gweth recently. Someone said "you can't attack the person unless you catch someone in your pocket" and "you either report guard OR attack the person." Neither of which are true.

Anyone who steals is locked PVP OPEN for 4 hours. This means ANYONE can attack them. Or, anyone can help you. It's not like before.
Re: Baiting. 08/09/2015 08:04 AM CDT

simple solution....go open. That way you don't have to worry about being baited. I literally have been open for years on all my chars and think I was once ganked for it(that was remedied quickly with a few soul attritions, said ganker has since quit).

Not turning this into the dead horse of stances, but open does solve so many issues in regard to consent/baiting/trolling. Should really be the only stance.
Re: Baiting. ::NUDGE:: 08/09/2015 11:06 AM CDT

Still not time for the Open discussion.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Baiting. ::NUDGE:: 08/13/2015 09:12 PM CDT

Did i miss the point of harassment?

How can you be stolen from if you bank your coin and close your pouches?.

Even if the "thief" or "group" of people are targettiong you, If you coin is banked, and your containers are closed, there is nothing they can take.

As a previous poster said, maybe just have a rethink of how your handling/reacting to the situation.

Rifkinn
Re: Baiting. ::NUDGE:: 08/13/2015 11:00 PM CDT
The harassment isn't the stealing part. It's the baiting someone to respond in a way that grants consent and then getting all your buddies to gang up on them in the same manner.

I haven't seen this go down as much as it used to, but there were a couple of groups of people that used to do this type of baiting 5+ years ago. I still see one of the more notorious characters of them in game now, but he looks to be played by a different person now (either literally or figuratively based on maturity) judging by the handful of interactions I've seen. I'll add my voice to the statement that the best advice is literally ignore them. They are only looking for a response, any response, so just deny them that and they'll move on somewhere else when they realize they can't get what they want out of you. Use squelches if you don't trust yourself not to respond or just don't want to read anything they have to say. Squelches have made my gameplay much more enjoyable.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators