Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 01:21 AM CDT
So here's a question for clarification, purely hypothetical, I swear...

If I'm being located, like spam located, do I have consent on the caster?

Granted, there's no way to backtrace locates anymore, nor any other way that I'm aware of to "catch them in the act," but if I know who the guilty party is, can I kill them?

From NEWS 5 25:

* You cast a spell on me! Is it consent?
YES -- if it places me in imminent danger -- or COULD HAVE. That doesn't mean I have to die from it, or be injured. If you cast on me out in the badlands, it's consent, even if no critters get to me before I recover or get dragged out.
YES -- if you cast on me in town while an angry mob is chasing me down (even if it's justified), I DO have the right to retaliate (after I recover from the beating the mob gave me).
YES -- if it harms me (or could have) in and of itself. You Ice Patch me? I can clean your clock even if I didn't so much as stub my toe.
* But it wasn't harmful. I'm a Barbarian and I resisted. Is that still consent?
YES -- You intended, therefore, you're mine.

* I'm a Barbarian. I didn't resist, and you killed my Inner Fire and NOW I have magic on me to boot! Is that consent?
YES -- Advice to the caster: RUN FAST.

* But it wasn't harmful ... it was a helpful spell. Is that consent?
YES -- Casting on me without my permission or invitation can still be interpreted as a threatening action. If you say "I'm going to cast Ethereal Shield on you" or "Join me for courage" and I don't demur or I join up, then no harm, no foul. But walking up to me and casting on me is grounds for retaliation, even if it was just Ethereal Shield. (see PREPPING, GESTURING)

So that would indicate to me that they are indeed casting at me, even though from a distance, thereby granting me consent? Obviously I'd be taking a risk at showing up and slaughtering the wrong individual, and if that be the case, a Warning is in order, but if I were to get the right one, and a GM can confirm that they were the caster, would I be off the hook? Thanks!

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 03:22 AM CDT
Backtracked was turned back on about a month ago.
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 03:23 AM CDT
Backtrace*
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 03:24 AM CDT
>>Ipecac: Granted, there's no way to backtrace locates anymore, nor any other way that I'm aware of to "catch them in the act," but if I know who the guilty party is, can I kill them?

I thought that backtrace was recently fixed.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 03:25 AM CDT
Score! I was not privy to this knowledge. Looks like I have my mission, should I choose to accept it.

...hypothetically speaking, of course.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 05:47 AM CDT
Hypothetically kick some derriere! Afterward, partake in the consumption of gruyere.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 06:37 AM CDT
The way I look at it is that if a moon mage is locating you it is probably with ill intent. Either they themselves intend to stalk you and ambush you or perhaps just harass you. Or they are doing it for someone else. Which still involves them in a conflict and opens them up for retribution, even if its preemptive retribution for something that may occur in the future. Woah. Mind is blown.

An overpowering sense of wrongness overcomes you, leaving you struggling against an almost uncontrollable urge to lash out at anyone and anything around you. With tremendous force of will, you manage to regain control of your emotions. - Irony
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 09:43 AM CDT
>>>> So that would indicate to me that they are indeed casting at me, even though from a distance, thereby granting me consent?

I am pretty sure that casting locate on you once is not going to be grounds to kill the mage that cast it considering that is sort of the point of the spell. Your best argument here is that they may be harassing you. Either way, I would suggest waiting for a GM to give an opinion unless you don't mind risking a warning. On the other hand, one wonders why they don't just cast shadewatch mirror and be done with the spam casting.

>>>> The way I look at it is that if a moon mage is locating you it is probably with ill intent

Just for curiosity, are you referring to this scenario or in general? I would be a bit baffled if someone couldn't envision a scenario where one would be located for benign reasons.
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 09:59 AM CDT
I think in this scenario he specified that it was repeated castings of Locate? If so, that can become harassment, in the same way spamming a 'poke bob' macro 400 times a second is.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 10:06 AM CDT

Yeah, I understood that. I was objecting to the logic he used to arrive at the conclusion because it is shaky. The argument that locate = casting a spell on me = consent is very weak. It also could lead to someone calling something black that is actually white in the future. The argument that harassment = consent is much stronger.
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 12:26 PM CDT
Locate may very well count as part of consent, given context. Just like healing someone is ordinarily fine, it can be iffy when the Empath is healing someone in the middle of PvP. Helping people while they're fighting often does open the helper up to consent as well.

On top of that, spamming anything can be considered consent, especially if you've told the other person something like, "Knock it off or I'll kill you."
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 04:00 PM CDT
>>especially if you've told the other person something like, "Knock it off or I'll kill you."

A simple WARN COMBAT takes care of this and helps your case if it happened to go to a GM. Any locates after that I would consider consent.
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 04:47 PM CDT
Eh, just roleplay it out.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 04:57 PM CDT
<<Eh, just roleplay it out.
>>

I don't know personally, I like to report people if they serve me berries that haven't been appropriately chilled.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 05:07 PM CDT
I'm sorry, but your Locate spell was rather ... sub-par. I'm going to have to report you.
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 05:23 PM CDT
>>>Just for curiosity, are you referring to this scenario or in general? I would be a bit baffled if someone couldn't envision a scenario where one would be located for benign reasons.

In general, because I'm never located for benign reasons. If someone doesn't know how to get in touch with you via the rest of the internet, then they probably don't like you. So there's really no reason for them to look for you unless they mean to cause you harm or strife.

An overpowering sense of wrongness overcomes you, leaving you struggling against an almost uncontrollable urge to lash out at anyone and anything around you. With tremendous force of will, you manage to regain control of your emotions. - Irony
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 06/18/2014 05:28 PM CDT
<In general, because I'm never located for benign reasons.

Well, when I still had my moonie, I'd occaisonally locate random people as a way to train my utility. The benefit of training with the bonus of being able to get a feel for where people like to hang out, without actually having to talk to anyone. Granted, I never cast it on the same person over and over again ... that just doesn't seem as practical unless you're waiting for a good time between casts to just keep tabs on where they are. Or ... you know ... trying to annoy them.
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 08/04/2014 01:43 PM CDT
i seriously doubt that locate in and of itself is consent. The spell is not cast on a person - the character name used in casting the spell is an indicator of whom you wish to locate. Nothing is cast upon the located character.

Locates are cast for myriad reasons, many of which have nothing to do with hostilities.

On the other hand, yes, if someone is locating you as a favor to your enemy, that moonmage is definitely involving themselves in your conflict by giving significant advantage to your adversary. Grounds for retribution - no doubt.

Just make sure you know who is locating you and why they are locating you before you attack. Lots of people will run to management, pants soaking with an acute case of hematuria, and report you because they enjoy their petty satisfactions.

Regarding Warn Combat - you have to be a Warn Combat type of guy to do that. I never was. I've always been here to play the game each minute as circumstances develop in front of me and respond on the game's terms - not on my ability to employ mechanics that allow me to influence meta-issues. On the other hand if someone is completely spastic and clearly not playing the game, just out of control as happens with a player once every year or two, then maybe.
Re: Hypothetical Scenario Clarification Request 08/05/2014 10:00 AM CDT
>The spell is not cast on a person - the character name used in casting the spell is an indicator of whom you wish to locate. Nothing is cast upon the located character.

Counterpoint: just because you don't physically gesture at someone doesn't mean you aren't affecting them with your magic. AOE spells affect players without the name being typed in at all.