TKS 08/27/2011 04:10 PM CDT
Does TKS grant consent under the current policy? This seems like an interesting issue that should have and official "weighing in."

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 02:51 AM CDT
<<Does TKS grant consent under the current policy? This seems like an interesting issue that should have and official "weighing in."

It has had an official wieghing in. Pretty much what the GM in the log said is the official policy on it. There's been a lot of discussion about it in the past over in the Moon Mage folders. A.k.a. the 'HOW MANY MOAR!!' threads.

I believe it basically goes like this: If the caster is hunting in a hunting area and you happen to pass through and get hit, it doesn't grant consent. If, however, you return to the room and decide to RP something out or whatnot, if they cast it again while you're there and it hits you then that grants consent since they're now aware of your presence. Note that since TKS has a duration, if you run back immediately after getting hit and get hit a second time from the same cast that still counts as part of the non-consent granting hit because there's no way to prevent the second hit either. Intent can change this of course, for example if they gweth that they're going to stand at the entrance of goblins and see how many noobs they can hit that would obviously be a consent granting cast for passers-by.

If its being used in a high traffic non-hunting area like the NTR or the streets of Crossing then of course all this doesn't apply. Intent is also the primary consideration in this, since there's no need to be casting it on a major traffic route.

All that said, I just gweth or yell that I'm using TKS and to be aware that I'm using it the area. Giving the heads up tends to make people much more reasonable if they get randomly hit.

-Evran

Move Emalerje to the town of Dirge, eh!
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 03:52 AM CDT
<<Giving the heads up tends to make people much more reasonable if they get randomly hit.>>

You post this as if killing you wasn't a reasonable response.

So I can actually take the first room of hunting ground A and cast TKS all day and no one can do anything about it if I'm closed to PvP.

That is the official GM stance on this?

I'm genuinely curious on this. Sure it might have been discussed in some far off folder, but this is a policy question and clarification of that policy so lets get some information in the policy folder. We just had a nice thread where if I "accidentally" came to melee on you because you were guarding So-and-So I was advancing, you have consent. So if you "accidentally" injure me or kill me I don't. I can attack a person who casts ES on me which does no damage, but I can't retaliate injury or death from an AoE?

How is a worse slight not covered by this policy? It is like saying, "clean his clock if he steals 9999 or less copper from you, but if it is a plat or more they are safe."

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 04:44 AM CDT
<<You post this as if killing you wasn't a reasonable response.

Its not if its your immediate knee-jerk response. Reasonable people understand that accidents happen, especially with a spell that cannot be controlled. Even if you roleplay a knee-jerk character you can still live completely within policy by telling them that you are going to kill them the next time anything so much as flies in your general direction the next time you pass through their room. At that point it becomes their choice to continue to use it or not at their own risk.

I.e. Give them a chance to turn it into something more involved than 'omg ur random spell nicked me so now ur dead! rawr!' Most of the people complaining about reporters make the argument for the reporters to try to RP the situation out instead. But the flip side of that is equally important as well, because in order for them to RP something out there has to be an opportunity offered. Instantly going for the jugular does not allow for that and as such is not being honest to the stance of asking others to RP stuff out.

<<So I can actually take the first room of hunting ground A and cast TKS all day and no one can do anything about it if I'm closed to PvP.

You clearly took away something different from what was written. You seem to have missed the high traffic part of it as well as the intent part. All someone would have to do is ask you to stop casting the spell, even if they haven't been hit, and you've now been given notice that consent will be granted if they are hit.

<<I can attack a person who casts ES on me which does no damage, but I can't retaliate injury or death from an AoE?

The key thing you're missing that differentiates the two is that the former is cast on you explicitly, the latter in the case of TKS is not in the control of the caster if you are just passing through. It is this difference that creates the grey area. If you're standing in the room and they cast it, or you warn them that you're in the area and don't want to get hit by their spell then yes its the same situation as the former since the potential of hitting you is concrete in that situation.

This is all moot anyway, since in a couple of months the spell is changing to the CL model of an instant cast AoE with the option to limit it to engaged critters at the caster's discretion via CAST/CAST ALL options.

-Evran

Re: TKS 08/28/2011 04:10 PM CDT
If someones is INTENT on casting a spell that damages EVERYONE in an area I see that person as having clear INTENT to harm anyone and everyone that happens to enter that room. The decision was made as soon as the mage choose to cast spell "AoE" over spell "target". I don't see how anyone can say that mage didn't intent to hurt someone/thing when they specifically choose a spell that will do that. The spell is designed to damage anything in that room and anything that enters, you cast that spell you are INTENDING to use it as designed. This isn't a grey area this is people trying to weasel out of the consequences.

<<You seem to have missed the high traffic part of it as well as the intent part.>>

In the example given earlier the person was casting in your so-called high trafficked area of a hunting ground. Seems like you are the one mistaking that it can be cast anywhere in any hunting ground, but not at the NE gate. I understand the difference between casting outside of a hunting ground and inside one.

Is any clarification of the policy forthcoming? It is the GM's policy, have the guile to back it up or the courage to admit you made a mistake. The crickets aren't helping matters.

Yamcer

Re: TKS 08/28/2011 04:24 PM CDT
I think TKS should fall under the same rules as someone setting off a trap from a box..
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 04:58 PM CDT
From news 5 24:

>4) Area Effect -- There are a variety of processes in place that will affect everyone in a room when utilized -- not only spells, but Barbarian roars and Bardic enchantes. If you happen to walk into an area effect, you do NOT have consent against the person who is the source. If one is used for the EXPRESS INTENT of harming you and/or everyone in the room, then that CAN give consent against the caster/singer/roarer.

And this part again, for emphasis:
>If you happen to walk into an area effect, you do NOT have consent against the person who is the source.

You (general) may disagree with the policy, but it's not like it isn't clear.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 05:14 PM CDT
The expressed intent in design and form of TKS is to harm everyone/thing in the room and anyone/thing that enters. Casting that spell is clear intent to harm.

Yamcer

Re: TKS 08/28/2011 05:45 PM CDT
>>Casting that spell is clear intent to harm.

express: (adj) definitely stated, not merely implied. Precisely and specifically identified to the exclusion of anything else.

If they are in a hunting area, and there are critters in the room, and they cast an area spell after "you" walk in that's not clear intent to harm "you". It's clear intent to harm the room, the "you" is implied.

Let it go folks. If you get tks because you walked into a room, shrug it off, if it did that much harm to you, you probably won't win anyway.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 06:09 PM CDT
For the first time in all the time I've play DR, I agree with Yamcer.

Every magic using guild have one-target TM spells available to them. Although TKS operates the way it does because it's intended, the person that decides to cast it knows fully well that they can hit another character when it happens. IMO, intention or no intention is irrelevant. I rarely ever intend to hit multiple targets with roaring (including the lethal one), but if I make a mistake I caused an inconvenience to their character. I'm willing to accept whatever retaliation they may have in whatever form.

I think fair is fair, and rules should proceed that way accordingly, not because of fear that allowing consent to the victim could open up a whole can of new worms (I'm intentionally trying to be hit for consent now!!). However, just as much as I could intentionally let myself to get hit, someone could park themselves and kill others from AoE abilities. If the person chooses not to use an AoE ability, nothing will ever happen. If they do, risk should be there.

>>Let it go folks. If you get tks because you walked into a room, shrug it off, if it did that much harm to you, you probably won't win anyway.

Again, intention is irrelevant. The inconvenience is placed on the person who was killed/hit, so why should they be forced to shrug it off?

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 06:32 PM CDT
>Casting that spell is clear intent to harm.
Now, now. Don't be jealous.

You do an incredible backflip with a beautiful twist rotation, gaining nearly five feet of air and landing neatly on your feet without so much as a wobble!
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 06:37 PM CDT
>4) Area Effect -- There are a variety of processes in place that will affect everyone in a room when utilized -- not only spells, but Barbarian roars and Bardic enchantes. If you happen to walk into an area effect, you do NOT have consent against the person who is the source. If one is used for the EXPRESS INTENT of harming you and/or everyone in the room, then that CAN give consent against the caster/singer/roarer.

i think this sums it up rather succinctly and while i believe TKS should have been made available in such a way that i don't hurt my group when i hunt with it, i deal with the reality of what TKS is. if you walk into a room with a mage who cast it prior to your entry, while unfortunate, i don't lay blame at the feet of the moon mage for it.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 06:40 PM CDT
>>i think this sums it up rather succinctly and while i believe TKS should have been made available in such a way that i don't hurt my group when i hunt with it, i deal with the reality of what TKS is. if you walk into a room with a mage who cast it prior to your entry, while unfortunate, i don't lay blame at the feet of the moon mage for it.

No one is arguing WHAT the rules are, at least I don't think so. I'm arguing how they should be.

I know this isn't a democracy but I'd like to think people can voice their opinions.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: TKS 08/28/2011 07:48 PM CDT
>4) Area Effect -- There are a variety of processes in place that will affect everyone in a room when utilized -- not only spells, but Barbarian roars and Bardic enchantes. If you happen to walk into an area effect, you do NOT have consent against the person who is the source.

People don't "walk into" instant effects.

Also, this clarification doesn't exist for setting off traps which seems more than slightly inconsistent.

Also, these news items - 5 24 and 5 25, are outdated. Someone should update them at some point so they actually mesh with how mechanics work now/have worked for years and years. If the item for inner fire hits remains, what else is wrong?

It puts GMs and players alike in a poor situation when documentation used for rulings is clearly years out of date.

I am --- Navak
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 02:51 AM CDT
<<People don't "walk into" instant effects.

TKS is not instant. It is a duration effect that periodically hits one completely random target other than the caster while it lasts.

<<Is any clarification of the policy forthcoming? It is the GM's policy, have the guile to back it up or the courage to admit you made a mistake. The crickets aren't helping matters.

The GMs are probably not weighing in because the policy is already laid out in the policy verb, and...

<<[This discussion] is all moot anyway, since in a couple of months the spell is changing to the CL model of an instant cast AoE with the option to limit it to engaged critters at the caster's discretion via CAST/CAST ALL options.

I am happy to repeat this again if need be.

-Evran

Re: TKS 08/29/2011 02:56 AM CDT
<<People don't "walk into" instant effects.

Also, that phrase for true instant effects simply refers to bad timing. You walk into the room just as the AoE is cast.

-Evran

Re: TKS 08/29/2011 08:40 AM CDT
>>The spell is designed to damage anything in that room and anything that enters, you cast that spell you are INTENDING to use it as designed. This isn't a grey area this is people trying to weasel out of the consequences.

Most people assume they are "using the spell" as intended when they cast it, but they fail to realize that even tho its possible to cast the spell at many times, that maybe the spell was not intended to always be cast at all places wherever you want

many people assume that if you "can", then "its intended".

these people fail to use their common sense quite often.
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 11:38 AM CDT
what i'd like to see is some type of adjacent room type messaging so that you don't just "walk into" a maelstorm.

course, it would be the casters responsiblity not to cast in a room you can't "see" from adjacent areas, i.e. by a gate,trail, path, or portal etc.

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 11:44 AM CDT
>>I think everyone is in agreement that the policy on this scenario is clear.

I think you're right.

>>When you're hunting, you should expect to be able to use all of your lethal abilities.

This part would be true whether the policy granted consent or not though.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 11:52 AM CDT
<<[This discussion] is all moot anyway, since in a couple of months the spell is changing to the CL model of an instant cast AoE with the option to limit it to engaged critters at the caster's discretion via CAST/CAST ALL options.

Why did the spell get changed in CL's case, but policy changed for TKS? Am I misremembering that the policy used to be you had consent if someone cast any spell on you whether it was harmful or not?
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 12:56 PM CDT
<<Why did the spell get changed in CL's case, but policy changed for TKS? Am I misremembering that the policy used to be you had consent if someone cast any spell on you whether it was harmful or not?

First of all, I don't believe policy was changed, if anything it was clarified. And if it was changed, it wasn't changed for TKSs sake alone. The following applies to all AoEs for which the targets are are not in the control of the caster, which included CL before the CAST ALL/CAST variation:

<<4) Area Effect -- There are a variety of processes in place that will affect everyone in a room when utilized -- not only spells, but Barbarian roars and Bardic enchantes. If you happen to walk into an area effect, you do NOT have consent against the person who is the source.

As for why TKS didn't get changed earlier to avoid all this... for the longest time the stance was that Moon Mages needed to suck at something relative to other Magic Primes and AoE was it, so they were not allowed to have any control over their AoE effects. Basically, the GMs took the stance that game balance was more important than avoiding policy grey areas.

Moon Mages have been asking for years for it to be changed so that we can avoid the policy grey areas that inevitably pop up, and there have been lengthy policy debates about the spell as a result in the Moon Mage folders and I think these folders too. I for one am very glad that its finally getting a CAST ALL/CAST option.

-Evran

Re: TKS 08/29/2011 01:34 PM CDT
>Why did the spell get changed in CL's case, but policy changed for TKS?

War Mages used to nuke people with Chain Lightning all the time before that spell was changed, and the exact same policy protected them from consent back then too.

>Am I misremembering that the policy used to be you had consent if someone cast any spell on you whether it was harmful or not?

Key words: On you.

~ Pansophist Kougen

"Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art." - Miguel de Cervantes
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 04:47 PM CDT
>TKS is not instant. It is a duration effect that periodically hits one completely random target other than the caster while it lasts.

That would be why I bolded roars when I quoted that policy item.

>Also, that phrase for true instant effects simply refers to bad timing. You walk into the room just as the AoE is cast.

I don't agree with you at all as there is a substantial difference between entering a room where an effect is already active or already activated, e.g. fire rain or enchantes, and "bad timing". There is no "bad timing" defense for cast area.

>When you're hunting, you should expect to be able to use all of your lethal abilities. Some spells have protections built in for the passersby, and you are expected to use them when they are available to you.

I think this is a poor argument because those protections "built in for the passerby" significantly alter the performance of the spell.

To fully use a character's AoE abilities, even when they're non-lethal, one would grant consent. e.g. cast area, singing loudly

It may be intended that a character should be able to use all of his or her lethal abilities, however, policy doesn't reflect that position.

I am --- Navak
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 06:01 PM CDT
<<>Also, that phrase for true instant effects simply refers to bad timing. You walk into the room just as the AoE is cast.
<<I don't agree with you at all as there is a substantial difference between entering a room where an effect is already active or already activated, e.g. fire rain or enchantes, and "bad timing". There is no "bad timing" defense for cast area.

I feel like doing a /headdesk here. No one is making this claim at all, least of all me given that I'm pointing out that TKS gaining a CAST AREA/ALL option in a few months will eliminate any accidents.

It is completely 100% possible to walk into indiscriminate target instant AoE abilities that don't have the CAST ALL/CAST AREA option due to bad timing. Your roars included. In fact, it has happened to me with you personally several years ago when moving through your room during an invasion and your roar immobilized me. I just picked myself up and moved on when it wore off, since it was obviously an accident. Situations like that is what that policy item covers.

-Evran

Waiting for Results..............................................................................................................
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 06:28 PM CDT
<<Situations like that is what that policy item covers.>>

It is those exact situations that policy forces your character to act in a specific way. Considering that policy allows retaliation for botched room effect traps where a random number generator can decide your fate. This type of inconsistency in letter and enforcement of policy that really sticks in my craw.

Yamcer

Re: TKS 08/29/2011 07:03 PM CDT
<<It is those exact situations that policy forces your character to act in a specific way. Considering that policy allows retaliation for botched room effect traps where a random number generator can decide your fate. This type of inconsistency in letter and enforcement of policy that really sticks in my craw.

I see no inconsistency. Pop that box in an out of the way area, and if you happen to blow it just as someone happens to walk through it would not automatically grant consent just as if you had cast TKS in the same situation. Pop that box in a high traffic area or in the same room as someone already there would grant consent just as if you had cast TKS in that situation.

<<4) Area Effect -- There are a variety of processes in place that will affect everyone in a room when utilized -- not only spells, but Barbarian roars and Bardic enchantes. If you happen to walk into an area effect, you do NOT have consent against the person who is the source.

The policy refers to 'processes' not just spells or abilities. I.e. AoE traps would fall under this.

Of course, there is lots of room outside of that policy depending on specifics to the situation, many of which is certainly grey area. This is why I am more than happy that TKS is gaining the option to either CAST or CAST ALL.
-Evran

Waiting for Results..............................................................................................................
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 07:15 PM CDT
I have seen a GM tell someone that if you botch a trap and it hurts someone else that they have consent on you. Different circumstances werent discussed or anything..
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 07:44 PM CDT
>I just picked myself up and moved on when it wore off, since it was obviously an accident. Situations like that is what that policy item covers.

That is assuming that you entered my room and I didn't enter yours, and several other items.

However, attacking Navak in that situation wouldn't have been a problem with me and given that I've been consistent on that point for a decade or more I don't think it's a very good example.

I was unable to find any instance of when I was in a room when Evran was immobilized by a roar unless it happened before early 2004 so if it did happen, you were likely hidden or invisible as well.

The explanation for why policy works like this is not consistent from how it has been explained thus far. Having to utilize cast instead of cast area or sing quiet instead of sing loudly substantially changes the behavior of the player and the effectiveness of the spells.

One would have to hold the position that cast and cast area are roughly the same and do not make much difference in player behavior or spell effectiveness in order to argue that position.

I am --- Navak
Re: TKS 08/29/2011 08:59 PM CDT

I use TKS to train TM. If I hit someone and they get angry I am under the full understanding they may do something violent about it.
CoT (Consent Over Time) 10/11/2011 06:19 PM CDT
I was slapped and thumped yesterday, but thanks to a critter box I was sadly without use of either of my hands for Malkien to show his "appreciation" of the act. This person immediately moved after doing the acts, and when I located them about a half hour later they were in a different province.

How long, reasonably speaking, do I have consent? We're both set to Guarded. If I see him again RL months from now, can I randomly gank him? I know some issues of consent (like graverobbing) don't really have a limit on time frame, but I'm not sure for a thump.

Basically, I'm working under the assumption that when I do kill him months from now, he will probably report. My only real concern is if the good Judge and Abdictator GM will frown heavily on me saying 'he thumped me months ago and ran, so I killed him the first opportunity I got.'
Malkien
Re: CoT (Consent Over Time) 10/11/2011 06:28 PM CDT
>How long, reasonably speaking, do I have consent?

According to the rules, you have a "reasonable amount of time."

In my opinion, a few days is probably the limit, months is probably not.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: CoT (Consent Over Time) 10/11/2011 06:56 PM CDT
>>How long, reasonably speaking, do I have consent? We're both set to Guarded. If I see him again RL months from now, can I randomly gank him? I know some issues of consent (like graverobbing) don't really have a limit on time frame, but I'm not sure for a thump.

>According to the rules, you have a "reasonable amount of time."
>In my opinion, a few days is probably the limit, months is probably not.

Reasonable amount of time takes reasonable amount of effort into consideration. If this person doesn't log in again until July 2013, you will still have consent if you find them the next day. However, if you go out of your way to avoid them for six months while you attempt to outtrain them, this isn't going to work.

~ Pansophist Kougen

"Tell me thy company, and I'll tell thee what thou art." - Miguel de Cervantes
Re: CoT (Consent Over Time) 10/11/2011 07:18 PM CDT
>>Reasonable amount of time takes reasonable amount of effort into consideration. If this person doesn't log in again until July 2013, you will still have consent if you find them the next day. However, if you go out of your way to avoid them for six months while you attempt to outtrain them, this isn't going to work.

This x10. GMs will tell you this.

-GM Abasha
Re: CoT (Consent Over Time) 10/12/2011 10:31 AM CDT
>Reasonable amount of time takes reasonable amount of effort into consideration. If this person doesn't log in again until July 2013, you will still have consent if you find them the next day. However, if you go out of your way to avoid them for six months while you attempt to outtrain them, this isn't going to work.

Pretty much this.

If you are bothered enough to act upon your consent, you need to go track them down and act upon it.

One thing that we can look at when these situations come up is how often the two parties are logged into the game at the same time. If you were both in for the same two hours, you had plenty of time to reach them anywhere they happen to be.

Thanks!
Lyneya
Re: CoT (Consent Over Time) 10/12/2011 03:35 PM CDT
<<If you were both in for the same two hours>> not necessarily... gotta take into consideration boat schedules,and locations, if someone is out on hara'jaar or something. :-)

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: CoT (Consent Over Time) 10/13/2011 09:40 AM CDT

Of course in six months if you really needed consent, this seems like the type of person it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to pick a fight with.

Just saying...
Re: CoT (Consent Over Time) 10/14/2011 10:57 AM CDT
>>Of course in six months if you really needed consent, this seems like the type of person it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to pick a fight with.

Yeah, exactly.

OOCly, I'm not near bothered enough to actively worry six months from now. I was just wondering because it's only been a couple days and already I can't be bothered with it, but should I ever randomly come across him again, ICly Malkien would want a reckoning. Thanks, policy's pretty clear on it.
Malkien