PVP Open and Snipe. 07/13/2011 11:11 PM CDT
Does the current snipe policy trump PVP OPEN? If so can you update that news 2 39 posting in game

This is what is written.

Dateline 7/30/2002: SNIPE & CONSENT CLARIFICATIONS: LONG
SNIPE is a zero tolerance ability. If you abuse it, you will lose it.
If the SNIPE ability is used in any UNCONSENTED attack on another player, that is an abuse of the ability. First offense abuse will result in 30 days suspension of the ability. A second abuse will result in permanent (irreversible, non-negotiable) removal of the ability. There will be no appeals. There will be no third offenses.
Use of SNIPE is always subject to GM intervention, regardless of whether or not a player filed REPORT or request for intervention exists. You should therefore always be prepared to provide reliable proof of CONSENT if you are using SNIPE.
If you are attacked, you are operating under implied consent and may use SNIPE to defend yourself. If you are involved in a CHALLENGE or other type of mutually agreed upon spar, then SNIPE may be used when both parties have agreed to it.

I have no problem if you decide to push snipe's overall policy to trump pvp open and I can't use it on other PVP open people as a first attack. I just want this little tidbit to be updated so the guidelines are stated and updated. This policy was written 9 years ago. Its probably a good idea to go back and review all policy once a year and put a new date on it so we know whats current.

Yes Policy on snipe may not have changed at all. But if i saw that it was dated at 7/30/2010 after pvp profiles came out. I would have lumped it in at least.

Again I'm not fighting for or against Snipe as a first attack for pvp open. I just want to play with in the letter of the rules. Stating it is a lot easier than PAFO at this point. If the counter argument to what I ask is "if you don't want to lose it never use it" its not what I'm asking for. Clarification with a NO is better than a maybe.
Re: PVP Open and Snipe. 07/13/2011 11:31 PM CDT
>>or other type of mutually agreed upon spar

^ == OPEN

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: PVP Open and Snipe. 07/14/2011 12:20 AM CDT
>>or other type of mutually agreed upon spar
^ == OPEN

You should finish that sentence, it changes the context drastically.

<<If you are involved in a CHALLENGE or other type of mutually agreed upon spar, then SNIPE may be used when both parties have agreed to it. >>

So both parties have to agree to the use of snipe even in a challenge situation.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: PVP Open and Snipe. 07/14/2011 01:17 AM CDT
I want to say I read somewhere that even against Open people, it's not alright as a first strike. They're entitled to at least a name for seeking some sort of recourse, and there's too many ways to abuse snipe vs Opens (sniper has an NCO, sniper uses it to avoid being accused of harassment by the snipee, sniper is Guarded/Closed, etc.) The GMs can't be called down to look into the identity of every single sniper to make sure it was within the letter of policy, after all.
Re: PVP Open and Snipe. 07/14/2011 06:32 AM CDT
There any chance that in combat 3.0, snipe can be brought in line with the vivisection mechanics? Would be great to not have this hanging over our heads.

-pete
Re: PVP Open and Snipe. 07/14/2011 06:35 AM CDT

>>then SNIPE may be used when both parties have agreed to it.

^ == implied within the "open" relationship.

If the 'snipee' and 'sniper' are both open, I'm pretty darn sure it is a "NO GM" situation as far as snipe is concerned.

This is not to say using snipe to grief the 'open snipee' and grave camp / smush said 'snipee' may not get 'sniper' in trouble. The same could said for any form of harassment; it's going to get you into a consult. Snipe, however, would not be the reason for the consult, harassment would. Which is not to say they might not take sniper's snipe from him for using it to harass someone.

In the end, don't be a donkey and you won't end up in a consult... or on the losing end of one anyway.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: PVP Open and Snipe. 07/14/2011 06:48 AM CDT
<<If the 'snipee' and 'sniper' are both open, I'm pretty darn sure it is a "NO GM" situation as far as snipe is concerned.

Considering the nature of the wording in policy. I'd prefer to NOT lose it if I go into a combat situation.

<<In the end, don't be a donkey and you won't end up in a consult... or on the losing end of one anyway.

This is true of anything. But asking for a clearer more concise policy on it makes more sense. Yes its allowed , no its not allowed would really clarify it.
Re: PVP Open and Snipe. 07/14/2011 10:02 AM CDT
IMO they should just have snipe work like vivisection does, where the person attacked is told who attacked, even if they don't pass the perception checks to avoid being ambushed/point the person out of hiding/etc.

Sure, the person sniping loses the "and no one knows who did it!" aspect of things, but if you're not allowed to snipe as it is until the person you're attacking you essentially have to do that now, anyway.