PvP Policy and Mining 06/01/2011 04:03 PM CDT
We need an official ruling on PvP policy and mining.

The opinions I've garnered from people range all over the place. Some people think it's like hunting, where if some claim jumper comes in your room and starts mining then you can kill them if they won't stop.

Others feel that anyone can mine anywhere any time they like. No one owns the rooms in other words. Of course, rooms and veins aren't the same thing. No one cares about the room, it's the vein of glaes or kertig overhead that everyone's goo-goo eyeing. If someone sees you working a glaes or kertig vein, of course they'll try to grab some, and it'll descend quickly to last-man-standing rules to see who gets it.

Rare drops can occur at any time, but they become increasingly likely as you mine a room toward zero deposits. You're not talking about a random room at that point. So if someone who sees the mine is entering that sweet spot jumps in to "help" you mine the room, they're grabbing the time and effort you've put in to "condition" it.

It's probably the most potential flashpoint issue we've had in DR, so it would be nice to get the official ruling on what is and is not considered consent regarding mining.

Kaxis

http://www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

>You hear a blood-curdling shriek from the southeast.

>You ponder.

>You go west.
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/01/2011 04:30 PM CDT
Why would it not work like hunting?

No one owns the room when you're out hunting, same with mining.

If someone is taking your spawn, you tell them to stop or you kill them. Or maybe you RP it out a bit more, whatever your style is. The same applies to loot from critters, skins etc.

Why would you not do the same over rare drops?

-Reverend Gidien

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/01/2011 04:37 PM CDT
If you take the treasure someone else worked to get, it's consent.

If you think you have the right to and/or ownership of the room, you're incorrect. If you're both PvP Open you can probably figure out how to resolve it on your own.

Seems like a pretty straight forward policy.
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/01/2011 05:01 PM CDT
My opinion is you spend the time searching for something and then the effort developing it, then anyone trying to horn in on that gives you consent. But the point of my post was to hear a GM chisel it in stone. Our opinions don't count.

<<If you're both PvP Open you can probably figure out how to resolve it on your own. Seems like a pretty straight forward policy.>>

Yes, in the limited case where both characters are PvP open, it is straightforward. But not everyone wants to PvP. Or what if an HLC come in the room, spot the rare vein, kills the empath or low level character mining it or tells them to get lost, and then grabs the goodies. Does the first player have no official recourse?

<<If you take the treasure someone else worked to get, it's consent. If you think you have the right to and/or ownership of the room, you're incorrect.>>

That's part of the issue. Is a vein considered the same as the room? Or is it something you worked to get? Meaning not just pieces you've mined from it but the whole thing, since you've put in work to condition it to where it's more likely to drop something rare. Those kinds of questions are what we don't know and why I asked in my first post. The GMs might say no, it's anyone's stuff and no consent period. We'll have to see.

Kaxis

>You ponder.

>You go west.
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/01/2011 05:42 PM CDT
Mining in DR is analogous to hunting.

While no one owns a room, things change when you are actively hunting/mining in the room. If you're hunting/mining in a room and someone comes in and begins poaching your kills/treasure/mining you are within your rights to tell them to take a hike. If they choose not to listen to you, you may feel free to put policy to work for you and exact your revenge in the manner of your choosing.

See NEWS 5 25 in game for more information on the policy re: hunting and consent. NEWS 5 24 is also a resource you may find helpful.

SGM Riel Mystsong,
CE Team Leader
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/01/2011 05:42 PM CDT
Mining in DR is analogous to hunting.

While no one owns a room, things change when you are actively hunting/mining in the room. If you're hunting/mining in a room and someone comes in and begins poaching your kills/treasure/mining you are within your rights to tell them to take a hike. If they choose not to listen to you, you may feel free to put policy to work for you and exact your revenge in the manner of your choosing.

See NEWS 5 25 in game for more information on the policy re: hunting and consent. NEWS 5 24 is also a resource you may find helpful.

SGM Riel Mystsong,
CE Team Leader

This message was originally posted in DragonRealms Policy Discussions, PvP combat policy. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/13/108/619/view/758
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/01/2011 09:20 PM CDT
What bothers me the most about this thread is... how many times has this actually happened, in that a HLC has bullied their way into that kertig vein? You call it a flashpoint argument, but why are we asking for a policy call from up on high without even trying to attempt to just RP the situation out? or Heck, just discuss it like rational people? And, let's be frank. The mine is a wonderful system, don't get me wrong, but this is the way it is... the metals will become more and more common. it's Day what, Three of release? The HLCs are gonna do what they gotta to get a supply of Kertig or Glaes or whatever. Once they are comfortable, they will move on. It's dirge, no one wants to be there. Anyways, I'm rambling. just a lot of worrying before there's an issue.

Illimin
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/01/2011 09:58 PM CDT
>but why are we asking for a policy call from up on high without even trying to attempt to just RP the situation out?

Sometimes stabbing someone in the face is a valid RP reaction.
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/01/2011 10:16 PM CDT
> Sometimes stabbing someone in the face is a valid RP reaction.

I absolutely agree. I didn't say we should all respond with daisies and rainbows, I just said we should respond IG, and only ask for a policy ruling if, and ONLY if there is some sort of abuse or harassment going on.

Illimin
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/02/2011 12:19 AM CDT
The only purpose of the post was to verify that mining falls under the same consent rules as for hunting. There's people running around swearing mining is different from hunting and anyone can mine wherever and whenever they please and no one can stop them. I wanted the GMs to clarify the picture for all to see, that's all. Nothing has changed with PvP or RP. They're still alive and well in DR.

Kaxis

>You ponder.

>You go west.
Re: PvP Policy and Mining 06/02/2011 02:48 AM CDT
<< said we should respond IG, and only ask for a policy ruling if, and ONLY if there is some sort of abuse or harassment going on>>

Ehh, as much as I dislike playing policy, I actually disagree on not asking for the ruling. This is a brand new system and it's a little different on the surface. Asking for a policy ruling up front in a case like this is okay -- prudent, even. It allows you to gauge your behavior accordingly, no matter which side of the hypothetical you might land on.

Forewarned is forearmed. :)

SGM Riel Mystsong,
CE Team Leader