magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 11:25 AM CDT
>>The term grave robbing refers to any form of item theft, whether from a broken glyph, from an unopened grave or an opened grave, or an item in someone's hand that they dropped on death.

>>Items dropped on death also have a grave robbing flag on them and can be searched off of someone.
>>Searching someone doesn't always work, though. There IS a skill check involved and you can fail.

i would like to suggest that any items dropped by a player caused by tingle from another player, or some other spell, to flag in the same way as dropping an item on death, so search player would work on them.

The action produces the same consequences as grave robbing, so it should support the same mechanics.

Using these spells in this manner = item theft = skirting the mechanics of grave robbing
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 12:51 PM CDT
>>i would like to suggest that any items dropped by a player caused by tingle from another player, or some other spell, to flag in the same way as dropping an item on death, so search player would work on them.

>>The action produces the same consequences as grave robbing, so it should support the same mechanics.

>>Using these spells in this manner = item theft = skirting the mechanics of grave robbing

I couldn't see that being considered under graverob mechanics. Your not dead. Item theft I could see possibly. But its a drawback from the spell. If someone is doing that purposely (that even a word? LOL), take action to get it back. I'd still say put the timer on it if they go into a safe room or hide over and over and over. And if they ignore that, have said item re-appear back to the person it was taken from.

I see opportunity for roleplay on that one. Kinda like a theif stealing coins/gems from your pockets. But to cause spirit health hits to that effect of graverobbing for a tingle? I'm not understanding the reasoning? Since said person that lost the item due to Tingle, isn't dead.

Even with the tingle spell, isn't the item under the rules of, recently dropped, must wait 1-3 minutes before you can grab said dropped item? Or is that bypassed because of the spell? Since I know if I drop say a vellum in the bucket, someone can't just instantly grab it. It tells you to some effect, thats not your item.

Just a question or three.

Jim
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 01:06 PM CDT
Items dropped by tingle, or MB are still under normal ownership rules, IE no one can pick them up but you for a good minute or two. Dragging someone out of the room to circumvent that timer is covered by mechanics abuse.

This is really only a problem for people that are afk or not watching their screen at all and thus dont bother to pick their stuff up.

Eladrin
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 01:27 PM CDT
>>This is really only a problem for people that are afk or not watching their screen at all and thus dont bother to pick their stuff up.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 01:27 PM CDT
its also a problem if someone is doing it to a trader, and they know the trader will move rooms every 4 seconds because of their caravan

so they make the trader drop the item, caravan pulls them away, they pick the item up.

its not all about afk stuff as most people would like to think

based on your own definition, this is implied mechanics abuse.
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 01:35 PM CDT
>>its also a problem if someone is doing it to a trader, and they know the trader will move rooms every 4 seconds because of their caravan

4 seconds is a lot of time and if you're paying attention it should be a non issue, unless they get the cast off RIGHT before you move. If you really have a problem with this you can also "tell caravan to go slower" or macro "tell caravan to stop".

>>based on your own definition, this is implied mechanics abuse.

Implied but probably not actual as they are not dragging you off, your own caravan is. Once again though 4 seconds is a lot of time to hit a key to stop your caravan or even type tell cara to stop
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 01:38 PM CDT
>>its also a problem if someone is doing it to a trader, and they know the trader will move rooms every 4 seconds because of their caravan

Please see:

>>This is really only a problem for people that are afk or not watching their screen at all and thus dont bother to pick their stuff up.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 01:39 PM CDT
tingle gives you a roundtime, so you're already in the next room by the time you can act.

you're already gone by the time you can tell the caravan to stop.

This doesnt even take into consideration if you were already in a roundtime to begin with.

Regardless, the mage is playing on the caravan doing the dragging for him, and the trader has NO way to react before he's in a different room
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 01:55 PM CDT
Do caravans auto-pilot to their destinations, or do you have to use a script to move one around?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 01:57 PM CDT
>>Regardless, the mage is playing on the caravan doing the dragging for him, and the trader has NO way to react before he's in a different room

Every log I have ever seen of this. The Trader was AFK for a significant period of time regardless.

Similar to hunting, If you don't want to lose something, don't have it out where it's not safe.
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 01:58 PM CDT
>Do caravans auto-pilot to their destinations, or do you have to use a script to move one around?

on trade routes, caravans auto pilot to their destinations.

On trade routes, for example, if im in crossing and i want to go to stone clan, i do "tell cara to lead to stone clan"

the caravan will autopilot to stone clan trail, and i have to walk the two rooms to the actual outpost. But otherwise, the caravan completely autopilots to the destination, except for a couple rooms at the end
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 02:00 PM CDT
>>Do caravans auto-pilot to their destinations, or do you have to use a script to move one around?<<

You should probably write a script instead of relying on the automatic movement, then.

Or don't harass empaths in the tent/gem shop.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 02:01 PM CDT
>>Every log I have ever seen of this. The Trader was AFK for a significant period of time regardless.

try to pretend that not everyone is afk. keep repeating this and it just sounds like trolling.
Re: magical "grave robbers" suggestion repeated 04/30/2010 02:03 PM CDT
suggestion repeated here so you can remind yourself what this topic was about.

i would like to suggest that any items dropped by a player caused by tingle from another player, or some other spell, to flag in the same way as dropping an item on death, so search player would work on them.

The action produces the same consequences as grave robbing, so it should support the same mechanics.

Using these spells in this manner = item theft = skirting the mechanics of grave robbing
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 02:04 PM CDT
>>try to pretend that not everyone is afk.

I don't think everyone is, just the clear examples in the few logs I have read where tingle was involved. I have faith in most people :)
Re: magical "grave robbers" suggestion repeated 04/30/2010 02:46 PM CDT
Mazrian next time you're going after him use LB instead of tingle so he can search you after he dies. Seems to be what he wants.
Re: magical "grave robbers" suggestion repeated 04/30/2010 02:48 PM CDT
>>GAUNSTAR: i would like to suggest that any items dropped by a player caused by tingle from another player, or some other spell, to flag in the same way as dropping an item on death, so search player would work on them. . . . Using these spells in this manner = item theft = skirting the mechanics of grave robbing

I'm not sure why this was posted on the Grave Robbing policy board; it should have been posted on the Stealing policy board. (That you think similar mechanics should apply to Tingled items doesn't convert theft by Tingle into an act of grave robbing.)

>>GAUNSTAR: its also a problem if someone is doing it to a trader, and they know the trader will move rooms every 4 seconds because of their caravan so they make the trader drop the item, caravan pulls them away, they pick the item up.

I don't think that your unlikely hypothetical scenario (Tingled Trader who is paying attention and who would have stopped his caravan but for roundtime) warrants changing the mechanics or policy for Tingled items.

There is already a perfectly adequate solution: don't hold valuable items while you are running caravans. If you're worried that you'll forget to check, have your script STOW RIGHT and STOW LEFT at the beginning. If you must use a valuable item during the run, stow it immediately after using it.

>>GAUNSTAR: suggestion repeated here so you can remind yourself what this topic was about.

The simple fact is that Tingled items are protected from theft until the owner leaves the room. If you're paying attention, you can retrieve your dropped item. When this fact was pointed out to you, you responded with the caravan scenario to advance your argument that the current item protection mechanics are inadequate. So far, you haven't offered any other reason to change the Tingle mechanics.

Personally, I think that common sense, vigilance, the current item protection mechanics (including the policy against actively circumventing those mechanics), and the consent policy are adequate checks on the "abuse" of Tingle.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: magical "grave robbers" suggestion repeated 04/30/2010 02:49 PM CDT
>>Mazrian next time you're going after him use LB instead of tingle so he can search you after he dies. Seems to be what he wants. <<

Good suggestion. Noted for next time.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

Re: magical "grave robbers" suggestion repeated ::Thread Over:: 04/30/2010 02:56 PM CDT

This one's done!

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: magical "grave robbers" suggestion repeated 04/30/2010 03:06 PM CDT
I have no sympathy for Tirsten, but there is an issue here.

I don't understand why the ownership flag disappears instantly if you aren't in the same room. That's what I would change.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: magical "grave robbers" suggestion repeated 04/30/2010 03:23 PM CDT
Regardless of the personalities involved, I think the suggestion is worth discussion.
Re: magical "grave robbers" suggestion repeated 04/30/2010 03:33 PM CDT

>>Regardless of the personalities involved, I think the suggestion is worth discussion.

Right. In the original thread.

We do not need two open threads on the same topic.

Kindly Reply to the merits of the suggestion, and not the snarking over the event that brought about the suggestion.

This one's done.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: magical "grave robbers" 04/30/2010 03:44 PM CDT
I like the idea of items, gems and coins, stolen from you to be searched out like grave robbed items. Obviously no soul hit or silly "you can't enter there" mechanics, but a way to get your item back with out relying on the person who took it to voluntarily hand it over.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: magical "grave robbers" 05/01/2010 07:09 AM CDT
>gems and coins, stolen from you to be searched out like grave robbed items

No thanks.. some of us work hard for those stealing ranks.

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: magical "grave robbers" 05/01/2010 09:22 AM CDT
Heh, I would think a warmie or someone with that tingle spell on a scroll (if it is on scroll) doing that to all traders would/should be considered mechanics abuse if its being used in the way you have described.

Jim
Re: magical "grave robbers" 05/01/2010 01:40 PM CDT
Yes to items forcibly dropped by tingle or other means being searchable, no to items that are stolen via the 'steal' command.
Re: magical "grave robbers" 05/01/2010 02:24 PM CDT
i dont see why theyd be searchable, it really doesnt make sense. Its not graverobbing, its really not even similar.

The problem lies with traders moving on even though theyre in roundtime, so maybe thats where the problem should be addressed. Possibly code something in that halts caravans if an item is dropped, or well, something.

In the meantime i would suggest not holding valuable items in your hands when you know youre doing something that will cause you to break the ownership mechanics yourself.

Eladrin
Re: magical "grave robbers" 05/01/2010 02:53 PM CDT
I've had a weapon taken after I was tingled during a spar- was unconscious for too long.

Talk about a pain in the ass trying to find someone who doesn't want to be found... had to jump through hoops to get the guy.

It would have been fun and I would have been more prone to letting him keep the sword if he wasn't such a jerk.

(cool story bro)

-Mr. Glemm
Re: magical "grave robbers" 05/01/2010 03:56 PM CDT
lol