PvP Stance and Graverobbing 03/02/2017 01:39 PM CST
Is there a full explanation of the guarded pvp stance and graverobbing policy someplace? I'm wondering why graverobbing even exists in a game like Dragonrealms especially with the advent of expensive real money items from paid events. Thanks!
Re: PvP Stance and Graverobbing 03/02/2017 02:00 PM CST
>>Is there a full explanation of the guarded pvp stance and graverobbing policy someplace?

Being guarded doesn't prevent consent. You might need to be more specific about a conceptual situation if you'd want more clarity on some aspect of this.

>>I'm wondering why graverobbing even exists in a game like Dragonrealms especially with the advent of expensive real money items from paid events. Thanks!

Agreed 1000%. It made a lot more sense pre-the game existing for over 15 years and a lot more $-based items showing up in the system. To the credit of our GMs, graves themselves have adjusted a ton over the years, but IMO they really just need to go away. I'd rather see another form of risk/penalty/something instead of having graves themselves linger around well past their date of reasonableness.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: PvP Stance and Graverobbing 03/02/2017 04:45 PM CST
So is there any situation in which graverobbing is considered invalid and your items would be returned? If not whats the point of having a stance in the first place?
Re: PvP Stance and Graverobbing 03/02/2017 05:13 PM CST
>>So is there any situation in which graverobbing is considered invalid and your items would be returned? If not whats the point of having a stance in the first place?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by invalid, but stance has nothing to do with graverobbing. AFAIK, the only reason graverobbing doesn't flag someone open (like stealing from players does) is because picking up items a player dropped when dying and/or taking things out of their grave isn't graverobbing 100% of the time (for example, if you die and another player drags you to safety and picks up something you dropped, that's not really graverobbing, or if you can't reach your grave for whatever reason and another player takes things out with the intent to return to them to you).

In the end, if someone is graverobbing I don't believe game policy allows them to hide behind closed or guarded status to avoid being stopped/punished/etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: PvP Stance and Graverobbing 03/02/2017 06:19 PM CST
Thanks for the quick responses I'm starting to get a better picture of all the possibilities. I was unfortunately conflating pvp and graverobbing as a single issue. My real question should have been if I change my pvp stance to guarded and am attacked without prior discussion or provocation do I have any policy based recourse if someone steals my items.
Re: PvP Stance and Graverobbing 03/02/2017 06:37 PM CST
>>I was unfortunately conflating pvp and graverobbing as a single issue.

It happens!

>>My real question should have been if I change my pvp stance to guarded and am attacked without prior discussion or provocation do I have any policy based recourse if someone steals my items.

It's a bit fuzzy, but I think the answer is a tentative "yes". If someone attacks you without consent when your stance is closed or guarded, I don't believe they then get to keep an item that falls out of your hand (despite potentially being punished for breaking policy).

That said, policy isn't always a black and white issue, so I wouldn't necessarily bank on "if someone attacks me without what I see as consent, my items are safe". It's always possible that they did have consent, because of some actions you performed in the game despite your PvP stance being "I don't want to PvP". It's also possible that your items might just get "lost" because the game deleted them because they were left somewhere unattended (like if you grave spits an item out before you get back to it).

If you're attacked without consent and killed, it might be "safer" to not depart with a grave until you're in a safer area, or are taken to a cleric and raised, etc. Honestly departing with your items is 1000% a good idea regardless of how you died.

I believe you also have the option to ask someone bigger than you for help getting your items back, especially if that other player is PvP Open themselves. But keep in mind that if you turn it into a conflict with other players, you might get killed again (and it would be within policy for them to kill you that time around).

Re: PvP Stance and Graverobbing 03/03/2017 04:59 AM CST

You could just get some favors and depart items. It's REALLY hard to get graverobbed in any sense of the word.
Re: PvP Stance and Graverobbing 03/03/2017 09:05 AM CST
Yeah it does seem much harder than I thought originally. I wasn't considering that you can't be graverobbed until you depart and leave a grave. Thanks for all the help everyone I don't have much experience with dying yet so I had some invalid assumptions.
Re: PvP Stance and Graverobbing 03/03/2017 03:14 PM CST
Graverobbing really isn't a thing anymore. Unless someone like Vyras hurls his sword in you and reports you.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html