Y'ntrel sechra: Does it really DO anything anymore? 01/17/2013 03:44 PM CST
Hi, recently testing out some magic, this one seems amazingly ineffective. Or am i missing something here?

R>discern ys
The Y'ntrel Sechra spell, developed by S'Kra wind mages, creates a cushion of air between your body and the armor you are wearing. This cushion of air will flow with your movements, supporting the armor and allowing you to move more freely.

This is a non-battle spell that can be cast on a single target. Non-battle spells have significantly longer preparation times than battle spells. It can be cast on yourself. It requires a minimum of fifteen mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of one hundred mana streams woven into it.

To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of an experienced practitioner. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a master in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Augmentation skill to cast effectively.

Before you can learn this spell, you must know one of Zephyr or Tailwind. It will also cost one spell slot.
>

>app armor
The field plate armor is plate armor.

The armor looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that some field plate armor appears to impose fair maneuvering hindrance and insane stealth hindrance, offering:
high protection and exceptional damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very high protection and exceptional damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and exceptional damage absorption for impact attacks.
very good protection and extreme damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and extreme damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and extreme damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing some field plate armor your maneuvering would be lightly hindered and your stealth would be very hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently fairly hindered and your stealth is highly hindered.

You are certain that the field plate armor is a bit safeguarded against damage, and are in pristine condition.

The field plate armor is made with metal.
You wonder if the field plate armor might weigh several hundred stones.
You are certain that the field plate armor is worth exactly 3800 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
R>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
R>cas
You gesture.
Your cambrinth orb emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.
A stiff breeze surrounds you, molding itself to your body and cushioning you against the weight of your armor.
>pow
You reach out with your senses and see brilliant streams of roiling Elemental mana coursing through the area.
You sense the Y'ntrel Sechra spell helping you maneuver in plate armor, which should last for about thirty-five roisaen.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>
You feel fully rested.
>app armor
The field plate armor is plate armor.

The armor looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that some field plate armor appears to impose fair maneuvering hindrance and insane stealth hindrance, offering:
high protection and exceptional damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very high protection and exceptional damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and exceptional damage absorption for impact attacks.
very good protection and extreme damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and extreme damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and extreme damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing some field plate armor your maneuvering would be lightly hindered and your stealth would be very hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently fairly hindered and your stealth is highly hindered.

You are certain that the field plate armor is a bit safeguarded against damage, and are in pristine condition.

The field plate armor is made with metal.
You estimate that the field plate armor weighs around 595 stones.
You are certain that the field plate armor is worth exactly 3800 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

The spell seems to be missing the whole "Your whatever armor feels less awkward" part, and where it reduces the hindrance. In prime, I cast that, and my whole armor set turns to 'lightly hindered', yet here it starts at fairly hindered, and stays at fairly hindered. Am I missing something?
Re: Y'ntrel sechra: Does it really DO anything anymore? 01/17/2013 03:54 PM CST

It doesn't directly reduce hinderance anymore. It boosts the armor ranks of the armor that it affects, thereby boosting damage reduction abilities by the armor (to some extent if your enemy's weapon skill is greater than your armor skill).
Re: Y'ntrel sechra: Does it really DO anything anymore? 01/17/2013 08:43 PM CST
Unfortunately this still doesn't really change the fact that it effectually doesn't do anything noticeable right now.

I suppose for back training or the very few war mages with bad armor compared to evasion?

I still think this spell needs to be reviewed, I have tried to do some testing and don't see any difference with this spell on or off as far as damage taken over a 15 minute hunt against "worthy" appraised creatures, or four spars (two with, two without) with the same person. Also evasion is within 30 ranks of my armor, and I'm using heavy plate.
Re: Y'ntrel sechra: Does it really DO anything anymore? 01/17/2013 09:12 PM CST
My understanding from talking to a GM or Two in Test is that YS revisions are still on the table. They want to see how things flesh out first in regards to hinderence and bonused armor ranks.
Re: Y'ntrel sechra: Does it really DO anything anymore? 01/17/2013 10:37 PM CST
>> I suppose for back training or the very few war mages with bad armor compared to evasion?

Your evasion doesn't matter when comparing DR from armor.

Basically it breaks down like this:

500 weapon skill versus 400 armor = 30% damage reduction
500 weapon skill versus 500 armor = 40% damage reduction
If YS gives +100 armor ranks it should give 10% damage reduction.

I think one of the main issues comes from hunting styles and also from the way armor works. Most people probably won't hunt where they can consistently get hit hard, so taking 10% less damage is not as effective. Combined with the way armor reduction theoretically works...

Goblin attacks me for 10 damage. Evasion/shield/parry reduce it to 3 damage. Armor reduces it by 30%. Total damage is then 2.1. Add 10% from YS and you either get 1.89 or 1.8 depending on the order of operations.

So capped YS brings you from 2.1 damage to 1.89 damage or 1.8 damage. Both probably not very noticeable. If you were fighting harder things it would probably become much more noticeable, but then people would stop fighting said creature because they were getting hurt.
Re: Y'ntrel sechra: Does it really DO anything anymore? 01/18/2013 06:15 AM CST
>>It doesn't directly reduce hinderance anymore. It boosts the armor ranks of the armor that it affects, thereby boosting damage reduction abilities by the armor (to some extent if your enemy's weapon skill is greater than your armor skill).

.......really?

What's the point of the spell then? If i'm (apparantly) at the cap how low more armor ranks will lower my hindrance, it literally does nothing for me? This is some pretty grim news. Am I going to have to pick up light chain and backtrain 300 ranks in it in order to not be massively hindered all the time when using armor?

I thought YS was literally the 'Hey, you're not a paladin, but here, use this and you can muck around in heavy plate and only be somewhat more hindered than someone who trains armor for a living' spell. If I try to use a big ol' shield now I go to moderately hindered, whereas before I just went to fairly. Are elementalists expected not to use plate and shield and train leathers and hiding or something?

I was loving the 3.0 changes up until this point. Losing sphere of protection and earth sense hurt, but losing y'ntrel sechra is like.... dismantling my character.
Re: Y'ntrel sechra: Does it really DO anything anymore? 01/18/2013 06:52 AM CST
The way 3.0 has been on test I have no issues in full hp YS or no. Hindrance isnt like it was. You can manage it fine if you arent also mixing armor types.

- Starlear -
Re: Y'ntrel sechra: Does it really DO anything anymore? 01/18/2013 02:16 PM CST
>> What's the point of the spell then?

Damage reduction? Also, stop the doom and gloom. One of the GMS already mentioned it was lackluster, it will probably get a face lift.
Re: Y'ntrel sechra: Does it really DO anything anymore? 01/18/2013 02:25 PM CST
> One of the GMS already mentioned it was lackluster, it will probably get a face lift.

Bears repeating. The GMs weren't impressed with it either. Personally I'd love a general damage reducer, but I want those on every guild.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.