discern vs perc 01/17/2013 02:32 PM CST

I'm reliably getting different results about the max and min preps of geyser from discern and perc. VOI, another spell that changes preps day to night, seems to be working though. So far, it seems to be limited to geyser.

>discern geyser
The Geyser spell is unique to the Water Manipulation Book, as it deals with waters deep below the surface rather than those nearby or in the air. It is a targeted spell that draws superheated water up from below and directs it toward your foe. Mind that, in some places, even with a mastery of the water element, there may be insufficient passage for the blast to escape the depths.

This is a targeted spell, which must be TARGETed at a specific opponent. This spell does impact and fire damage. It can be cast on other adventurers and hostile creatures. It requires a minimum of three mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of ninety-six mana streams woven into it.

To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of a lowly novice. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a professional in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Targeted Magic skill to cast effectively.

This spell has no prerequisites. It will also cost one spell slot.

You think you could weave at least 31 mana streams into this spell.
Roundtime: 7 seconds.

>pre gey
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Geyser spell.
>perc
You have fully prepared the Geyser spell at four mana.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

>pre gey 200
Since you're attempting to feed more power into the spell pattern than it is capable of utilizing, you quickly work your way down to its maximal potential.
You feel intense strain as you try to manipulate the mana streams to form this pattern, and you are not certain that you will have enough mental stamina to complete it.
You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Geyser spell.
>perc
You have fully prepared the Geyser spell at one hundred two mana.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
Re: discern vs perc 01/17/2013 02:41 PM CST

also, FOI is that way too:

>discern foi
The Fortress of Ice spell must be woven with at least 26 mana streams, and can contain up to 96.

You don't think you are able to cast this spell.
Roundtime: 12 seconds.
>pre foi
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Fortress of Ice spell.
>perc

You are preparing the Fortress of Ice spell at twenty-eight mana.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

>perc

You are preparing the Fortress of Ice spell at ninety-eight mana.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
Re: discern vs perc 01/17/2013 02:45 PM CST
I thought WM spells got weather or environmental based modifiers to spell costs, which would be reflected in what you're seeing?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: discern vs perc 01/17/2013 02:59 PM CST
>>I'm reliably getting different results about the max and min preps of geyser from discern and perc. VOI, another spell that changes preps day to night, seems to be working though. So far, it seems to be limited to geyser.

Discern has some randomness to it, but it also helps if your arcana is higher than the magic skill used by that spell(warding, debilitation, tm, utility), and the difference between the two might matter.

Could be something else too.

Re: discern vs perc 01/17/2013 03:09 PM CST

It's not just the randomness, I can get different levels of success, but the prep numbers stay the same.

It now appears to be an indoor/outdoor thing:

>discern foi
The Fortress of Ice spell must be woven with at least 28 mana streams, and can contain up to 98.

Roundtime: 12 seconds.
>out
You lumber out.
[The Crossing, Scorpion Lane]
You also see a brilliantly painted sign displayed prominently in front of the Artificer's Shop.
Obvious paths: north, east, south, west.
>discern foi
The Fortress of Ice spell must be woven with at least 26 mana streams, and can contain up to 96.

Roundtime: 13 seconds.
Re: discern vs perc 01/17/2013 04:11 PM CST

now that the sun has come up:

day outsideday indoorsnight outsidenight indoors
geyser1-921-983-964-102*
voi17-10217-10213-9813-82
fort30-10032-10226-9628-98*

*mismatch between DISCERN and PERC

It looks like fort and geyser think that they're always being cast indoors and not adjusting their min preps. I think that's what's happening. DISCERN and PERC appear to agree during the day time.
Re: discern vs perc 01/17/2013 07:46 PM CST
I guess that makes sense- geyser is hot so you'd need more mana when its cold at night.
The others being harder to cast in the warm day, since they're cold.

I'd think Geyser would be harder indoors though.

If anything it looks like the minimal day indoor prep for geyser is too low.

And VOI night outdoor cast caps too high. Assuming its just as easy to cast inside as outside.

Nice data.
Re: discern vs perc 01/18/2013 01:02 AM CST
Indoors vs outdoors only gets affected because weather mods don't get added when indoors (since it can't rain there), not because a spell would be harder or easier to cast indoors vs outdoors. I kinda think I may change all that to the difficulties rather than the mana numbers since I think folks would get annoyed by a constantly changing range of preps.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate