Discern Oddities 01/11/2013 10:26 AM CST
A few things while going through the WM spellbooks:

First off, you can't discern any three-word spell apparently, without resorting to it's abbreviation (this also made me realize how many of our spells have "of" in the name).

> discern mark of arhat
You have no idea how to cast that spell.
R> discern veil of ice
> discern fortress of ice
R> discern ring of spears

> discern aegis of granite
R> discern ring of spears
> discern aegis of granite

>Fire Rain:

> This spell does fire, impact, and electricity damage.

Wanted to confirm that electricity was supposed to be part of FR:

>One mana stream, should be singular not plural?

>Ethereal Shield/Fire Shards/Geyser/Stone Strike:

It requires a minimum of one mana streams,

>Substratum:

>The Substratum spell leaves a lingering recollection of an aethereal grid that surrounds you, increasing your ability to target spells.

The first line here reads a bit weird to me. Makes sense overall, just sounded a bit funny.

>Ethereal Fissure:

>This is a non-battle spell that can be cast on a single target. Non-battle spells have significantly longer preparation times than battle spells. It can be cast on yourself. It requires a minimum of twenty mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of one hundred mana streams woven into it.

Say cast on a single target, and cast on yourself. In fact, it's CAST <element> instead.

>Lightning Bolt:

>It can be cast on other adventurers, hostile creatures, and dead adventurers.

This may be an oddity with the spell messaging instead, but in regards to casting on dead adventurers. Especially since TM spells have to be targeted before they'll begin to prepare (or I've heard "are always fully prepared", but that means snap casts shouldn't backfire)

> tar telr
There is no need to target Telrenth. He is already dead.

> cast telr

You gesture at Telrenth.
A bolt of bluish lightning blazes out of the sky toward Telrenth's corpse!
Telrenth's corpse jerks horribly as the bolt lances through him.
Your actions quickly stir up a ruckus around you, as annoyed citizens quickly move out of the way. One mentions to his friend that he's off to report you for disturbing the peace.

>Dragon's Breath:

>It can be cast on yourself and hostile creatures.

Dragon's breath is cast on yourself, then SPIT/EXHALE'd at hostile creatures. Misleading messaging for a spell that doesn't quite follow normal TM convntions.

>Flame Shockwave:

>There may be occasions where a bit of fire would be better than the natural chill that comes with Shockwave's force. The Flame Shockwave metaspell allows a Warrior Mage to ignite the air around themselves before the winds explode outward. Unlike most metaspells, which are always active, this one requires you to prepare it before beginning the actual Shockwave spell. This process will remind you of how glorious the air is when set ablaze.

Umm.. there's nothing wrong here. I just wanted to comment again how I love this spell description.

>Frostbite:

>You should note that Frostbite is easier to use during the winter though by the same token, it is harder during the summer."
>"Be warned, this spell is illegal in most jurisdictions and will result in a charge for Endangering Public Safety.

Notice placement of quotes.

>Geyser:

>This spell does impact and fire damage.

Wanted to confirm the water spell does fire damage.

>Fortress of Ice:

>Before you can learn this spell, you must know Rising Mists. Additionally, you must know one of Ice Patch or Ice Patch. It will also cost three spell slots.

How will I ever decide between Ice Patch and Ice Patch?

Also, no mention of being able to create a roof. Intentional?

>Tailwind:

>The Tailwind spell shifts the winds to your favor, increasing your accuracy with bows and thrown weapons

With long/short/composite bows now being called the "Bows" skill, is not intuitive that it includes crossbows.

>Paeldryth's Wrath:

>This spell does impact and slice damage.

This spell doesn't deal damage.

>Blufmor Garaen:

>This spell does N/A and cold damage. It can be cast on yourself, other adventurers, and hostile creatures.

N/A damage! Sweet! (It does slice/puncture/impact based on if you wave/point/slap)

Also, similar to Dragon's Breath... is a non-standard in it's conventions of casting on yourself, then unleashing it via common verbs against others. Not very intuitive for a spell that costs more spell slots than any other spell in the game.