Prev_page Previous 1
Revised SoI 01/10/2013 01:32 PM CST
I've gone through and systematically re-balanced SoI for all guilds using actual formulas and stuffs. Here's the final list for Warrior Mages:

Wisdom
Intelligence
Strength

Tactics
Appraisal
Mechanical Lore
Scholarship
Enchanting
Forging

Athletics
Evasion

Summoning
Sorcery
Warding
Utility
Debilitation
Augmentation
Targeted Magic
Arcana
Attunement
Elemental Magic

Melee Mastery
Offhand Weapon
Brawling
Polearms
Staves
Bow
Twohanded Blunt
Large Blunt
Twohanded Edged
Large Edged
Parry Ability

Shield Usage

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 01:52 PM CST
As a general SoI question, I'm curious why Warmies, a weapon secondary, don't have Small Edge and Blunt on their weapon SoI?

Actually, I'm confused what SoI is in reference to at all I suppose.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 01:54 PM CST
Like, does this mean Ignite when cast on a Small Edge weapon will not buff the weapon as well as Ignite when cast on a Large Edge weapon?
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 01:55 PM CST

Sad to see light thrown leave our naptha-slingin' selves SOI.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:00 PM CST
>>Actually, I'm confused what SoI is in reference to at all I suppose.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Sphere_of_Influence

The relevant part is at the top of the page:
Spheres of Influence are the areas in which a guild is considered to have special affinity, and thus higher caps when they are enhanced through abilities and spells.
The maximum cap on bonuses for out of sphere spells is 75% of in sphere caps.

Basically SoI sets where your global caps are for buffs.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:05 PM CST
Right, so;
> Like, does this mean Ignite when cast on a Small Edge weapon will not buff the weapon as well as Ignite when cast on a Large Edge weapon?
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:09 PM CST
Is ignite a weapon skill boost? Otherwise it shouldnt matter.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:13 PM CST
>>As a general SoI question, I'm curious why Warmies, a weapon secondary, don't have Small Edge and Blunt on their weapon SoI?

Because when I revised them each guild only gets a certain % of their secondary skill set in SoI. In the case of small edge and small blunt every guild wanted them (small edge in particular) and I was making an honest attempt to spread things out a little more.

Could they be in SoI for Warrior Mages? Sure - but you'd have to drop another skill in it's place and the others seem more thematically fitting.

>>Like, does this mean Ignite when cast on a Small Edge weapon will not buff the weapon as well as Ignite when cast on a Large Edge weapon?

Ignite is not a skill booster and does not interact with SoI in any way.

>>Sad to see light thrown leave our naptha-slingin' selves SOI.

Yeah, I really thought about that one for awhile, but it comes down to the above statement. Also keep in mind weapon skill SoI doesn't matter much right now since there are very few actual weapon skill boosters.

I also have a proposal for a spell to let Warrior Mages soak people with naphtha through TM - so that may fill your pyromantic needs should it come about.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:19 PM CST

So, does something like tailwind effect all ranged weapons the same, since it's generic boost to ranged? Or will it now effect bows better than thrown or crossbows (though I admit bows feel weird to me thematically as a warmage)? Not sure quite how it works... could see it as a generic ranged attack booster, or see it as boosting all ranged weapons...
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:20 PM CST
>I also have a proposal for a spell to let Warrior Mages soak people with naphtha through TM - so that may fill your pyromantic needs

Does PW no longer deliver naphtha? Or would this spell create the naphtha for delivery?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:21 PM CST
Curious; so, Warmies only have two weapon boosting skills that I know of (and I'm not sure if they're the same in 3.0), SW (parry) and TW (Ranged weapons). If Stickbows and LT aren't in our SoI, does TW only buff 75%? Does SW only boost parrying with a non-SoI weapon 75% as well as it'd boost with a SoI weapon? This seems unlikely, since SW is a parry boost, not a weapon boost.

I guess I'm not seeing the point of delineating SoI for skills that a given guild doesn't have buffs for anyway? What am I missing?
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:21 PM CST

Not sure how this spell idea is gonna work, but it sounds amazing.

Also, PW is still delivering naphtha currently in test.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:24 PM CST
>I guess I'm not seeing the point of delineating SoI for skills that a given guild doesn't have buffs for anyway? What am I missing?

Future development, Casting spells from other guilds, etc.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:31 PM CST
>>Future development, Casting spells from other guilds, etc.

Yeah. Using scroll spells in 3.0 sounds like it is built to be a lot more commonplace, and who knows what stuff we'll be doing with enchanting/alchemy.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:46 PM CST
>Future development, Casting spells from other guilds, etc.

Ah. I was a bit concerned, since I've trained my Warmie to be using SB, SE, LT, and Brawling. I guess it's not the end of the world.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:48 PM CST
>>Does PW no longer deliver naphtha?

I have no idea - I was unaware it could do that.

>>Or would this spell create the naphtha for delivery?

That's the ticket. But let's not derail on a proposed post 3.0 launch spell please.

>>Curious; so, Warmies only have two weapon boosting skills that I know of (and I'm not sure if they're the same in 3.0), SW (parry) and TW (Ranged weapons). If Stickbows and LT aren't in our SoI, does TW only buff 75%?

Tailwind is a ranged accuracy boost, not a skill booster. SoI has no impact.

>>Does SW only boost parrying with a non-SoI weapon 75% as well as it'd boost with a SoI weapon?

A Parry boost is a Parry boost, it doesn't care what weapon you're using.

Of course it's worth pointing out Swirling Winds isn't a parry booster in 3.0 - it's evasion/ref.

-Raesh

Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 02:59 PM CST

>Of course it's worth pointing out Swirling Winds isn't a parry booster in 3.0 - it's evasion/ref.

Sure Footing boosts parry, though.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 03:24 PM CST
i'm also surprised an armor tert guild has SOI to bows and not crossbows, as WM can't wear shield and use a bow, but you can use crossbow with a shield.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 03:34 PM CST
>>i'm also surprised an armor tert guild has SOI to bows and not crossbows, as WM can't wear shield and use a bow, but you can use crossbow with a shield.

I'm also surprised it's bows and not crossbows, given that Shield is even in the SoI. I hate to say it but it feels rather arbitrary.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 04:12 PM CST
SoIs are not designed with mix/maxing in mind, otherwise everyone would have shield usage, parry, evasion, one armor type and so forth.

They're designed to match things thematically important to the guild (And in the grand scope of things they also have fairly little impact).

-Raesh

Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 04:22 PM CST

It still does up to 2 vials/bottles, also if you reverse someone's PW with AC(essentially doing what they wanted), it'll pull any naphtha you're holding at the caster(as if you had casted normally.)
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 04:22 PM CST

It still does up to 2 vials/bottles, also if you reverse someone's PW with AC(essentially doing what they wanted), it'll pull any naphtha you're holding at the caster(as if you had casted normally.)
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 05:00 PM CST
Yeah Raesh, if you're holding Naphtha and cast PW, it'll TM the naphtha from your hand into someone. I'd welcome something more convenient though, because having to prep/target/cast to soak and then do so again to light is a bit tedious.

Be nice if we could maybe metaspell it to give ourselves a RT when we cast similar to a throw of it that would also ignite it in the name of condensing down the number of actions required. Throwing then a spell is a lot easier because you can prep and target the spell and then throw->cast and have them hit almost at the same time.

- Starlear -
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 07:53 PM CST
>>also if you reverse someone's PW with AC(essentially doing what they wanted), it'll pull any naphtha you're holding at the caster(as if you had casted normally.)

Ooh :) Now while I didn't mind that PW reflected the effect and ending up doing what it would have done anyways, I'm intrigued by the idea of having naphtha fly back at the caster. Something just made my list.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 08:39 PM CST
>>naphtha flying back at the caster

lol

For lol's alone, this needs to be put in for AC.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 10:07 PM CST
>>Be nice if we could maybe metaspell it to give ourselves a RT when we cast similar to a throw of it that would also ignite it in the name of condensing down the number of actions required. Throwing then a spell is a lot easier because you can prep and target the spell and then throw->cast and have them hit almost at the same time.

2 methods come to my immediate mind-

1: prep ignite, cast weapon, target pw, get nap, barrage

2: prep moa, cast, target pw, get nap, cast

Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 10:10 PM CST
>2: prep moa, cast, target pw, get nap, cast

and it also occurs to me this might not cause MOA to flare, since it's non-damaging now.
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 01:36 AM CST
I have yet to have an ignite imbued weapon ignite naphtha for me :(

- Starlear -
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 01:39 AM CST
On the subject of self-immolation, I'd love to see naphtha and Incinerate get some carnage functionality. Douse yourself, cast, and explode extra hard, taking out anything engaged to you. Thinking of the messaging almost makes me giddy.
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 10:09 AM CST
As a moon mage Im prone to self destruction but Ive yet to really figure out what the point of Incinerate would be if it kills the user. The scrolls are incredibly hard to find (that may not remain the case) and theres a huge chance of not finding a cleric to rezz to retain the spell. So basically youd be able to use the spell once... Not to mention even if you find a cleric you lose all gained xp and you have to wait for what Im going to imagine is healing on the botched teleport scale before the cleric even brings you back. Im all for reworking the spell but I sure hope it doesnt turn into a self explode. That just sounds like a cop out in designing dangerous spells.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 10:11 AM CST
>>Ive yet to really figure out what the point of Incinerate would be if it kills the user.

The point is to retain a thematically powerful form of blackfire. The alternative is no blackfire spell at all.
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 10:29 AM CST

Tried sleeping on it. Still don't see bows as a thematically appropriate weapon for warmages. Maybe it's just me though.
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 10:32 AM CST
>>The point is to retain a thematically powerful form of blackfire. The alternative is no blackfire spell at all.

So a super rare one shot spell that you most likely lose afterward? That sounds like probably one of the lamest spells ever. If it could potentially mangle the user due to them not controlling the flames? Awesome. If it always nuked an arm as a price for using it (sorta like the clerics HoT spell)? Ok sure. Killing you every single time you use it? Meh thats a worthless spell. Youd have 3-4 people that would manage to find the scroll, learn it, then never use it for fear of losing it. To me thats bad design. It should have a cost for sure. Its Sorcery and in WM lore its BAD Sorcery. Making a spell thats for all intents and purposes unusable except in that one random RP moment leads me to believe it then simply shouldnt exist. Spells are meant to be used not horded.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Revised SoI 01/11/2013 11:48 PM CST
>>Spells are meant to be used not horded.

Consider it like a Super Naphtha? You expend it and it's Awesome, and then it's gone and you have to get more.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Revised SoI 01/12/2013 01:31 AM CST

<< SoIs are not designed with mix/maxing in mind, otherwise everyone would have shield usage, parry, evasion, one armor type and so forth.

<< They're designed to match things thematically important to the guild (And in the grand scope of things they also have fairly little impact).

I have to throw up an objection here. I realize for purposes of balance what you're saying, but why give us mech? Why aren't our weapons in the middle as opposed to the bottom tier? Talking about thematics, the guild is called the "Warrior" Mage guild.
Re: Revised SoI 01/12/2013 01:46 AM CST
> I have to throw up an objection here. I realize for purposes of balance what you're saying, but why give us mech? Talking about thematics, the guild is called the "Warrior" Mage guild.

Every lore secondary gets mech. The new SOI formulas are 100% of your primary skillset, ~60% of each secondary skillset, ~20% of each tertiary skillset. Lore is currently 10 skills, but will drop to 9 when Mech mech gets put on a bus. That means lore secondaries need 10*.6 = 6 skills now, but 9*.6 = 5 skills later. So the number of lore skills you're supposed to have should drop by 1 when mech leaves. Simplest way to make that happen is to make mech one of your lore skills.

> Why aren't our weapons in the middle as opposed to the bottom tier?

You get ~60% just like every other secondary.
Re: Revised SoI 01/12/2013 01:48 AM CST

Maybe I'm not understanding spheres of influence entirely. I'll go back and try reading it over again.
Re: Revised SoI 01/12/2013 06:57 AM CST
Every time you explain the mech thing to a lore secondary guild for me I owe you another cookie.

-Raesh

Re: Revised SoI 01/12/2013 08:12 AM CST
>Maybe I'm not understanding spheres of influence entirely. I'll go back and try reading it over again.

SoI influences ONE single thing. When you have a boost to that skill/stat, it effects the boost that spell/etc. can possibly give. In-SOI is capped at X. Out-of-SOI is capped at 75% of X. That's it. SOI does not care if you're a WM casting a cleric spell, if the spell touches your SOI you get the max possible boost from it, if not, you only get 75% of it. It's entirely based on the caster casting a spell; not the guild or recipient or anything else.

SOI does not determine availability of boosters, function of boosters, it does not confer any type of passive or active benefit aside from the above. That's ALL it does.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Revised SoI 01/12/2013 08:39 AM CST
borrow one from Abasha. They're heart-shaped.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Prev_page Previous 1