Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 12:23 PM CST
Veil of Ice has been converted and is now available for testing. This spell is in Test and Plat, and works as a standard TM ablative barrier spell. As with most ablative barrier spells, it will not hinder personal spell casting, and can be cast on others to give them the same effect. Let me know if anything funny happens.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 12:24 PM CST
Very very nice. Can't wait to test tonight.

Thanks Again
Re: Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 12:42 PM CST
So everyone knows:

>ask gauth about voi spell
Gauthus says, "The Veil of Ice spell interferes with targeted magic in ways that aren't truly understood. Many believe the spell, through the act of maintaining its frosty shape, works at odds with the matrices needed for targeted magic. In any case, the spell is safe, and is fairly effective. It will weaken each time a targeted attack is cast at you, but does not interfere with your own spells being cast successfully. This spell has no prerequisites. It will also cost two spell slots. It cannot be targeted."
Re: Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 01:28 PM CST
Oh, looks like I forgot to write in the prereqs. The spell actually requires Ice Patch or Rising Mist, and also Aether Cloak.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 01:34 PM CST
Cast Veil of Ice at 75 mana.

It broke on the 10th fireball from Malchata, and on the 18th DO from Adan'f Mages.

Minimum mana is 13, I can't cast the cap with 560 warding.

The spell only ablates the spell enough to make it fail. An 80 mana cast of VoI stopped over 50 16-mana fireballs, but wouldn't stop a single fireball at 100 mana (though it did weaken it). Stanced to 130% potency, an 80 mana cast broke against a single 100-mana fireball.

So far I'm enjoying it, although I did love the old all-or-nothing version more.

Some messaging below:

You see Pratorin, a Kaldar.
A veil of ice covers his face and obscures his features.

> tar fb 25
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You trace a geometric sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Fire Ball spell.
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around Pratorin.

> cast

You gesture at Pratorin.
The veil of ice surrounding Pratorin's face swirls and twinkles as it absorbs your spell pattern.

Roundtime: 1 sec.
R> tar fb 25
You trace a geometric sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Fire Ball spell.

>
You feel fully rested.
> cast

You gesture at Pratorin.
The veil of ice surrounding Pratorin's face swirls and twinkles as it absorbs your spell pattern.

R> tar fb 25

> cast

You gesture at Pratorin.
The veil of ice surrounding Pratorin's face shatters with a loud CRACK as it absorbs your spell pattern.
A small ball of flame flies at Pratorin!
The fireball glances off Pratorin's targe.
The fireball blasts into his back, nearly tearing him in half!
A panicked scream pierces the air. "Murderer!" You notice the nearby citizenry looking your way for the moment, before most quickly run off in fear.
The complementary nature of the spell empowers you.

* Pratorin is slain before your eyes!

Re: Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 01:40 PM CST
New guildleader blurb:

>ask gauth about voi spell
Gauthus says, "The Veil of Ice spell interferes with targeted magic in ways that aren't truly understood. Many believe the spell, through the act of maintaining its frosty shape, works at odds with the matrices needed for targeted magic. In any case, the spell is safe, and is fairly effective. It will weaken each time a targeted attack is cast at you, but does not interfere with your own spells being cast successfully. Before you can learn this spell, you must know Aether Cloak. Additionally, you must know one of Ice Patch or Rising Mists. It will also cost two spell slots. It cannot be targeted."
Re: Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 03:26 PM CST
Sometimes when the veil shatters the spell ends and sometimes it doesn't. When I was stanced for potency it messaged that it shattered, but I could still perceive it and it didn't message anymore.

You gesture.
A veil of ice forms around you.
>perc
You reach out with your senses and see shimmering streams of roiling Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, ...
You sense the Veil of Ice spell upon you, which will last for about twelve roisaen.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

A goblin shaman gestures at you.
The veil of ice surrounding your face shatters with a loud CRACK as it absorbs the spell pattern.
Several shards of elemental flame fly at you!

A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!

>perc self
You don't sense any spells in effect on you.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

>
The veil of ice surrounding your face shatters with a loud CRACK as it absorbs some of the spell pattern.

>perc
You reach out with your senses and see pale streams of roiling Elemental mana coursing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, ...
You sense the Veil of Ice spell upon you, which will last for about ten roisaen.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>

A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!

>perc self
You sense the Veil of Ice spell upon you, which will last for about ten roisaen.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

>

A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!
A fire shard misses you!

>perc self
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>relea voi
The veil of ice suddenly shatters and melts from around you.
Re: Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 04:40 PM CST
Does it, or could it please give some messaging whenever a TM spell is being thwarted or weakened by Veil of Ice?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 08:20 PM CST
Some of the messaging wasn't acting right, but should message correctly now.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Veil of Ice 01/08/2013 08:42 PM CST
Ok neat, an I got some ideas for breaking things that I'll try later.

Curious how it works with ES, MAF, lay ward and AC for ultimate TM defense. Grounding Field too.
-I like having another (TM) barrier option that we can run with a cyclic TM too.
Re: Veil of Ice 01/10/2013 12:54 PM CST

When did the prep range change? I logged in today to take a look at DISCERN and it's now 17 to 102, when it used to be 13 to 98.

By the way, anyone have the difficulty for VOI? Looking at the minimum, it looks like an advanced and I can put mana into it like an advanced too.
Re: Veil of Ice 01/10/2013 01:02 PM CST
>>When did the prep range change?

That difference would likely be the weather/seasonal mod that affects WM spells. I need to go through at some point and get them all working the same for each spell, right now some use them and some don't.

And yes, it is an advanced spell.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate