Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/28/2012 09:21 AM CST
so, say you going to fight seodemaors, you'd put up a gf to electricity? would this at any way hinder your abilities if you are attuned to fire?

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/28/2012 10:19 AM CST
>>so, say you going to fight seodemaors, you'd put up a gf to electricity? would this at any way hinder your abilities if you are attuned to fire?

The answer has not changed since last time you asked the question, Grounding Field has no relationship whatsoever to elemental alignment. Casting Grounding Field attuned to anything will have the exact same impact (or lack of impact) as casting, say, Gar Zeng.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/28/2012 02:25 PM CST
>One thing to keep in mind is there are very few (to the point that I can't think of one off-hand) pure elemental attacks in the game. Nullifying most elemental attacks' elemental properties is devastating, but doesn't leave the spell completely toothless.

I've wondered about this for a few spells; what is LB/CL? GZ? FRB? CRS?
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/28/2012 02:52 PM CST
LB = Fire/Elec (it's sort of an odd ball here lacking any physical)
GZ = Fire/Elec/Puncture (I'm... surprised by how many electricity spells do fire honestly).
CL = Fire/Elec/Impact

The other two you asked about aren't updated for 3.0 yet.

There's certainly an argument to be made that some of those should change, and I've heard some requests that we add a way to find out what sort of damage a spell does but I'm not sure offhand what form that information would take if we decide to go that route.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/28/2012 03:01 PM CST
>>(I'm... surprised by how many electricity spells do fire honestly)

Is it so they can ignite naphtha?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/28/2012 03:58 PM CST
>Is it so they can ignite naphtha?

Not all fire damage ignites naphtha (see blood burst) so I'm guessing there's a seperate flag for igniting naphtha, which has nothing to do with actually being fire damage. Just a guess, though.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/28/2012 04:01 PM CST
>>Not all fire damage ignites naphtha (see blood burst)

I'm aware.

>>so I'm guessing there's a seperate flag for igniting naphtha, which has nothing to do with actually being fire damage. Just a guess, though.

I was thinking fire is a pre-req for that flag.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/28/2012 04:13 PM CST
Speaking of naphtha, has anyone tested naphtha in 3.0? Against this spell in particular, and in general? Does naphtha actually teach yet?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/28/2012 04:19 PM CST
> Speaking of naphtha, has anyone tested naphtha in 3.0?

A bit ago, Raesh mentioned that naphtha isn't working right in 3.0. I haven't heard that this has been fixed.
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/29/2012 01:22 AM CST
Is there any chance we could be told what damage types TM spells are doing? I realize that may be a lot of work/documentation, but I think it would greatly improve testing data.

Or, my other really cool idea would be for us to APPRAISE a TM spell when we're prepping/targeting it, just like a weapon, so we can see what kind of damage it does, how strong it is with the amount of mana we're using, etc.

GENT
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/29/2012 02:37 AM CST
<<APPRAISE a TM spell when we're prepping/targeting it>>

great idea!

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/29/2012 10:24 AM CST
PAFO
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 12/29/2012 09:38 PM CST
I anticipate this spell being a lot more useful once everyone's wielding their fashionable +2 fire swords of slaying (i.e. enchanting comes out and players can more reliably do elemental damage outside of spells).
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/02/2013 04:57 PM CST
>>I anticipate this spell being a lot more useful once everyone's wielding their fashionable +2 fire swords of slaying (i.e. enchanting comes out and players can more reliably do elemental damage outside of spells).

Even then the usefulness is kind of weird to me. If they'd have a fire sword to pull out in lieu of a metal one, they might also have an electric one too or a boomerang or something silly? Specially since there's no way to drop it the field.

*I guess it was working okay when we tested it, like a buffed ES, as far as effect, but it was hard to tell cause of impact/slice/puncture damage. Still the damage seemed less(3.0 stuff still takes adjusting and hard to tell on top of all that new stuff). We didn't test it too much though.

-Also the messaging for frostbite block seemeed weird on both ends, nothing really on the casters end. No damage caused or anything.

**It seemed more useful AGAINST people who had it up- after I casted frostbite, I blasted Cyia with a hot water geyser, the spell did the flippy thing and nuked her spectacularly. Awesome, reminded me of old SOP that was a devastating debuff...
And 'No' for those wondering we can only self-cast it.

Against critters it seems pretty awesome(if I could find one with magic), but trying to keep track of the main element type of damage spells do without a lot of substitutions seems a bit much. I figure most spells will be fire or elec, and holy cold(maybe? makes sense to me?).

Shy of fighting a cabalist or knowing the elemental limitation of other guilds it seems like it might actually be really bad to cast this spell.

or like... hey "there's Power, I'm guessing he'll ignite that sword, cast MOA on me, cast Fire Rain, and barrage a fireball at me after an ANC or IP(maybe even AL)." Still gonna hurt like hell, but a little less from FR and FB, and none from ignite and and all that MOA. Unless of course the field causes IP(?) or AL(probably) to amp up, and sets you up even better for a slightly weakend barrage of murder.
Assuming there wasn't some wacky buff/debuff, disabler game or they just threw a hammer at me...

Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/02/2013 06:12 PM CST
Yeah I can see this spell being a double edged sword in PvP, but absolutely awesome in PvE, Invasions and Quests.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/03/2013 01:56 AM CST
>>Yeah I can see this spell being a double edged sword in PvP, but absolutely awesome in PvE, Invasions and Quests.

Basically this.

Most of the limitations exist so the spell doesn't utterly dominate PvP while still letting it be an incredible PvE spell.

-Raesh

Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/03/2013 09:03 AM CST
I was just surprised to see the spell made, as, at the risk of sounding like I'm getting to a GvG argument, Necromancers are supposed to have the most potent anti-magic barrier in the game. I understand this is a very double edged sword protection spell, but FULL negation of incoming magic, irregardless of skill discrepancy, seems to be an anti-magic barrier like none other.
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/03/2013 09:11 AM CST

>I was just surprised to see the spell made, as, at the risk of sounding like I'm getting to a GvG argument, Necromancers are supposed to have the most potent anti-magic barrier in the game. I understand this is a very double edged sword protection spell, but FULL negation of incoming magic, irregardless of skill discrepancy, seems to be an anti-magic barrier like none other.

Except it's extremely niche in what it negates, and doesn't negate all of a spell. Sure, I can have an anti-fire field up, but the impact damage from fireball is still gonna wreck me (just not as bad as it might have). And on the flip side, that lightning bolt will fry me even faster than before.

There are almost no effects in the game that are wholly a single elemental damage type and nothing else.

I like the spell, though even as a fair sized WM I'm not sure it's worth the two slots I'd spend on it for it's limited usage. My 80 something spell slots go fast between over 70 slots of WM spells, 10ish of AP spells, and 33 magic feats to choose from.
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/03/2013 09:49 AM CST
>>Necromancers are supposed to have the most potent anti-magic barrier in the game

They still do. No one looks at a Necro barrier and goes "well, I'll just use a spell that focuses more on physical-based damage" or "okay, time to take out the ice sword instead"

But, to be honest, if I'm hunting critters I'm normally just going to toss up Lay Ward than WORM any day of the week. LW tends to take care of things just as effectively when I'm fighting at-level critters, plus it doesn't lock out my own magics.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/03/2013 10:37 AM CST
>>I was just surprised to see the spell made, as, at the risk of sounding like I'm getting to a GvG argument, Necromancers are supposed to have the most potent anti-magic barrier in the game.

Even better than Barbarians?

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/03/2013 10:41 AM CST
>>Even better than Barbarians?

I don't think they were factored into the discussion when the comparison was being made.

That said, I think the Barbarian and Necro barriers are on a similar tier, but they both have different advantages/disadvantages.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/03/2013 10:54 AM CST
It used to be absolutely impossible for me to get past Worm's Mist in 2.0. I'm curious how I'd fare in 3.0 actually.

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/03/2013 11:45 AM CST
>It used to be absolutely impossible for me to get past Worm's Mist in 2.0. I'm curious how I'd fare in 3.0 actually.

I imagine that changes and tweaks over the past couple weeks may have altered this outcome, but I was able to get Albreda's Balm through the Worm's Mist of a slightly higher-skilled Necro than my Bard, with 99 charisma vs 99 discipline (I'm not certain the full contests involved are off the top of my head). Not terribly on-topic for the Warrior Mage forum or this thread, but possibly worth sharing.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/03/2013 12:16 PM CST
> I was able to get Albreda's Balm through the Worm's Mist of a slightly higher-skilled Necro than my Bard, with 99 charisma vs 99 discipline (I'm not certain the full contests involved are off the top of my head).

Getting through a barrier isn't a stat contest, it's Worm's potency vs Balm's integrity, which is mostly based on mana used.
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/04/2013 03:51 PM CST

Testing with traps:

After blowing a fireball trap without GF:

You have some minor abrasions to the head, some minor abrasions to the neck, some tiny scratches to the right arm, some minor abrasions to the left arm, some tiny scratches to the right leg, cuts and bruises about the left leg, cuts and bruises about the right hand, some tiny scratches to the left hand, some tiny scratches to the chest, some tiny scratches to the abdomen, a black and blue right eye, a black and blue left eye.
You're stunned!

With GF-Fire up (there was no GF messaging when the trap blew):

You have some tiny scratches to the head, some tiny scratches to the neck, some minor abrasions to the right arm, some tiny scratches to the left arm, some minor abrasions to the right leg, some minor abrasions to the left leg, some tiny scratches to the right hand, some tiny scratches to the left hand, some minor abrasions to the chest, cuts and bruises about the abdomen, some tiny scratches to the right eye, a black and blue left eye.

Either it's not triggering (no messaging to indicate if it was) or the fire component is very slim.
Re: I hate Warrior Mages too! 01/04/2013 09:12 PM CST
Traps are not a combat mechanic and it's unlikely they're passing through the barrier system.

-Raesh

Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page