Barrage still broken 12/09/2012 02:00 AM CST
Barrage seems to just cast the spell, shows the messaging link between the spell and weapon, but doesn't do the actual combo attack with the weapon. Doesn't seem to matter what attack I follow it with.

>barrage
>feint barrage
I could not find what you were referring to.
>
The zombie mauler begins to advance on you!
The zombie mauler advances from nearby and is closing steadily.
>barrage
barrage feint
* A zombie mauler looms menacingly and swings at you. You beat off little of the fists with a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced with opponent in strong position.]
>
* A zombie mauler grunts revoltingly and punches at you. You evade, barely stepping to one side.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced with opponent in better position.]
>
You focus on manipulating an aethereal pathway to suffuse your targeting matrix, then allow its pattern to direct the force of your greatsword.
You gesture at a zombie mauler.
A small ball of flame flies at a zombie mauler!
The fireball contracts and gains speed as it nears a zombie mauler!
The fireball blasts into its back, nearly tearing it in half!
A volley of fiery shards explode outward toward a zombie mauler!
The fire shard glances off its abdomen, singeing it a little.
The fire shard glances off its chest, singeing it a little.
The fire shard glances off its abdomen, singeing it a little.
The fire shard explodes just short of its right eye.
The fire shard glances off its right arm, singeing it a little.
The complementary nature of the spell empowers you.
A zombie mauler falls belly-up and grunts its last grunt.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

You sense your greatsword being guided towards a zombie mauler, but since it is already dead, your greatsword harmlessly smacks into its corpse.

or

Heatless orange flames climb your greatsword before winking out of existance.
(for non kills)

Your formation of a targeting pattern around a zombie mauler has completed.
>barrage slice
You focus on manipulating an aethereal pathway to suffuse your targeting matrix, then allow its pattern to direct the force of your greatsword.
You gesture at a zombie mauler.
A bolt of bluish lightning blazes out of the sky toward a zombie mauler!
The worst of the bolt misses, but tendrils of lightning lash out in passing to scorch its head.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

Tiny fingers of lightning course rapidly along your greatsword, disappearing almost immediately.

Re: Barrage still broken 12/09/2012 03:23 AM CST
Ok, should be better now, and I reversed the order of what happens. I may still need to do some messaging tweaking for it now that it's the other way around, but the general idea is there. Turns out that in X3 it's infinitely easier to handle this ability with the attack happening first followed by the spell.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Barrage still broken 12/09/2012 03:29 AM CST
Do we still get a boost to the melee strike based on TM?

Usually the TM did a stun and the melee, got extra nasty from that.
Re: Barrage still broken 12/09/2012 04:51 AM CST
Yep, the bonus is still there, and applies just to the melee strike. I would guess the possibility for a stun followed by some nasty hits is still well in place even with the roles reversed. If the switch in the order isn't something that works for the ability I thought of a way to restructure it to get it back to the original order without it being the mess that it was, but I'd have to rewrite the whole thing for that. I suppose we can cross that bridge if we get there, for now I wanted to get the ability up and running to see how it's use factored in with Summoning exp and charge usage. It's also important to note that while I have some experience with playing War Mages, some of you players are going to have a much better feel for how well this works than I would have.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Barrage still broken 12/09/2012 11:31 AM CST
Ok, as one of the probably too few people who use it semi-frequently, I'm ok with a Zelda magic sword attack(cue slice-pew! Thunk! Sound effect)
Works great on paladins and most people don't know about it so when they balk its like adding RL RT when they try to figure out how I just haxed 2 attacks in 1 second.

A big hacking chop then lightning splits further or fireball detonates it completely.
It kind of makes more sense visually than following a LB with a chop- especially if the LB would probably blow the target away from the strike.

Thanks again, I'll play later.
Re: Barrage still broken 12/09/2012 01:25 PM CST
Yeah, I like the visual as well, plus it lets casting PW as the spell make more sense. When I first 'fixed' barrage and it was the other way, it bugged me that PW was pushing the target away and then there was hit message - I had to repeat in my head 33 times, "It's really just happening at the same time, it's ok".

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 12:27 AM CST
-Air lash doesn't work with barrage?

-worked with strange arrow, I didn't try another guild's spell like compost or something.

-Charge seems to overtake barrage. Might be a combat limitation, where you have to retreat first to stop the advancing. Would be neat if charge worked with barrage.

>barrage slice
< Driving in like an adept combatant, you charge a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade at a zombie head-splitter. A zombie head-splitter fails to evade, failing miserably. The greatsword flashes with a brilliant silver light and lands an earth-shaking strike that cleaves the head-splitt right arm from its shoulder with a wet sucking sound.
[You're nimbly balanced with opponent in good position.]
[Roundtime 7 se
c.]>

-btw, the attack increase in melee is really noticable.

-and Yeah I think the messaging needs a little tweak-
Maybe the slight elemental flares first, like how the pebbles rise(cracking noise from ground?) or air swirls, then after the attack it either disperses with a death or:

as the fire reaches the tip of the halberd it suddenly flares as Xmage releases his spell. Pebbles crack into dust and fall to earth. The eddies whirl into spinning vortex before dispersing, etc.
Xmage casts.

-Filling up charges just using FB(fire aligned) took a few minutes until I had enough to use one barrage. 20+ spells(I dunno with the timer, switching between FS and FB didn't seem to matter)? Summon admit in battle is suicide right now, I guess you could cast FOI or just leave combat and summon admit to fill.
(Maybe if there was a way/feat/spell that could refill our pathway slowly like)

A charge dances just below the threshold of discomfort. (needed about this much to use)

I got 4 barrages out of a full alignment, also you can run a pathway and barrage. It teaches.. but there's better methods of learning summoning.

Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 01:31 AM CST
>>-Air lash doesn't work with barrage?

It does now, just an oversight.

>>-worked with strange arrow, I didn't try another guild's spell like compost or something.

I think STRA is the only non-WM spell set up to work for it, might add more later.

>>-Charge seems to overtake barrage. Would be neat if charge worked with barrage.

Yes it would. Done.

>>-btw, the attack increase in melee is really noticable.

Yeah it might be doing a bit too much in certain situations, I'm actually talking with some folks about taking this in a slightly different direction that you folks might enjoy. More info later.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 02:31 AM CST
Cool.
Sweet.
Thanks.

Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 01:04 PM CST
Would a rapid or 'barrage' pathway that functioned kind of like old MOA work? If even mechanically possible?
Maintain the target so we can just cast, cast, cast, until dead, no mana, or no alignment? Or Barrage(better name) as the cast option?
Either use a bit of pathway like barrage, or let it stream like the others?

Target lb 45
Full target
Path foc barrage(?) if not a barrage option.
Cast( plus a little extra rt )
Cast ( +xrtra rt)
Cast...

Too OP?

Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 02:40 PM CST
I was actually thinking of changing the damage bonus into a elemental bonus on the weapon for the strike. The type of element would either be based on your alignment or the spell, I haven't decided fully on that part. And in case where fire/cold/electricity wasn't being used it would boost slice, puncture, or impact. Thoughts?

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 02:45 PM CST
>>I was actually thinking of changing the damage bonus into a elemental bonus on the weapon for the strike. The type of element would either be based on your alignment or the spell, I haven't decided fully on that part. And in case where fire/cold/electricity wasn't being used it would boost slice, puncture, or impact. Thoughts?

I like this idea for barrage and I think Power's idea of preparing/targeting once and being able to repeat casting until the thing is dead/we're out of mana should be our 100th circle ability.
Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 03:23 PM CST
Well right now I feel barrage is a bit too boosted, my accuracy was seeing a much larger accuracy increase than with MOF up. Also I guess it's meant to be used once in awhile, but I want to use more, even though every or every other critter is too much.

But I do like the idea of blowing all your alignment on 2-5 megahits if needed.

Elemental or + damage could work.
Air - slash
Aether?, Analagous, or sorcery - pierce
Earth - impact

I guess it depended on the effect's added damage. My only point of reference is that Ignite doesn't seem to add too much damage(w/MOA its very pretty), but if we could barrage more often a less powerful attack that may work.

Would the elemental damage double flare MOA?

I know others wonder too - Missle attack barrage?

I didn't think to check- can we ambush with barrage now? or still too flashy?
Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 04:13 PM CST
>>My only point of reference is that Ignite doesn't seem to add too much damage

Keep in mind that elemental weapon damage does not get scaled by the attack type. For example, a SLICE might do 90% slice, 20% puncture, 40% impact. But it does 100% elemental. This, combined with the generally poorer armor protection against elemental attacks requires us to keep the added elemental damage a bit low for this spell. Enchanting will be a different story, however.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 04:27 PM CST

>Keep in mind that elemental weapon damage does not get scaled by the attack type

I've got a question about that: does that mean that small, less damaging attacks like jab or feint pick up more relative damage than big attacks like slice or lunge; or is there a variable that modifies elemental damage relative the 'size' of the attack?
Re: Barrage still broken 12/10/2012 11:06 PM CST
>Ok, as one of the probably too few people who use it semi-frequently, I'm ok with a Zelda magic sword attack(cue slice-pew! Thunk! Sound effect)
Works great on paladins and most people don't know about it so when they balk its like adding RL RT when they try to figure out how I just haxed 2 attacks in 1 second.

>A big hacking chop then lightning splits further or fireball detonates it completely.
It kind of makes more sense visually than following a LB with a chop- especially if the LB would probably blow the target away from the strike.

>Thanks again, I'll play later.

Ahhh wait, you mean the Warrior Mages have a Legend of Zelda attack, alright direct me to how to get this ability in a very time-table push manner, that's the goal. Give it to me.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Barrage still broken 12/11/2012 04:57 AM CST
Ok, I have a version of barrage out there now that has been tweaked down slightly(or up depending on situation) as far as the hit bonus, and adds damage rating to the weapon based on what element you are aligned to. Let me know how this works out.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Barrage still broken 12/19/2012 09:12 AM CST

I haven't got a chance to play with barrage yet (meant to last night but got distracted by ranger teaching night).

But a barrage idea did pop into my head, so thought I'd throw it out there.

Barrage + PW (pull) to pull somebody from missile to melee and attack them. Any sort of viability there?
Re: Barrage still broken 12/19/2012 01:53 PM CST
>>Barrage + PW (pull)

I looked at doing this when I was reworking barrage, but it would have required quite a bit of added remodeling of the entire ability to accomplish.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate