Ambush screen 01/16/2013 02:04 AM CST
I've made a fix to ambush screen in Test that should get this one squared away. Please give this (and any other ambush related abilities) some testing and let me know if there are any more Thief ability issues.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Ambush screen 01/16/2013 03:21 AM CST

Screen, sight, slash, and stun seem fine but...

I still cant land more than a light stun with clout even vs a critter that I'm 500 ranks over.

You turn to face a fledgling forest gryphon.
< Moving with incredible power and control, you slice at a fledgling forest gryphon. A fledgling forest gryphon attempts to dodge, failing miserably.
The axe lands an apocalyptic strike (22/22) (So that's what it felt like when Grazhir shattered!) that explodes the heart and lungs with a bone-shattering blow to the chest.
A fledgling forest gryphon collapses into a lifeless mound of fur and feathers.
[You're nimbly balanced]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

Yes I just one shot that gryphon...

HR> amb clout
Quietly, you raise your left hand up to your side, and in a single, fluid movement chop straight at the forest gryphon's neck!
The forest gryphon is completely surprised by your stealthy maneuver!
The forest gryphon is unable to avoid your hand, and you clout its neck with a single precise stroke!
The forest gryphon staggers before reeling wildly, stunned by the blow!
Roundtime: 2 sec.

R>
The young forest gryphon begins to advance on you!
The young forest gryphon is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
R>
The forest gryphon begins to stir.

2 second stun with clout, in prime it would be a 5-10 second sleep with a full success.

I have gotten stuns from clout in prime, but only against other players with ranks in a relative ballpark with my own.

Either way, thought I'd just mention it.
Re: Ambush screen 01/16/2013 10:01 AM CST
>>I still cant land more than a light stun with clout even vs a critter that I'm 500 ranks over.

I don't think I've ever seen clout stun in Prime, it always knocks unconscious for me.
Re: Ambush screen (and other ambushes) 01/16/2013 02:00 PM CST
Ok, some changes were made to clout to get things acting closer to how they behave in Prime. I did fiddle with some of the effect durations to get those in closer in line with effect durations for spell abilities. Enjoy!

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Ambush screen (and other ambushes) 01/16/2013 02:35 PM CST
>>I did fiddle with some of the effect durations to get those in closer in line with effect durations for spell abilities.

Could you possibly provide some transparency on this? I did a side by side test just now in Test vs Prime and these were my duration results in seconds vs Zombie Stompers. My stealth also went up from Prime, using no armor, with Dampen, Darken and Strike running in each.

Test

Prime

So, I know you said you brought them closer in line with effect duration for spell abilities, but considering the restrictions on clout (1 Open hand, At melee, In Hiding) it seems like the extra duration was warranted.

On the plus side it's succeeding like in Prime now.
Re: Ambush screen (and other ambushes) 01/16/2013 02:45 PM CST
Yeah the code for clout when doing knockouts was acting weird, it did all this math to figure out a duration based on the combat metrics, then completely ignored the answer it came up with for the duration and always used 30. Knockout durations in X3 tend to be limited to 2-20 seconds, which you'll see is still lower than your results. The very low end of the spectrum is also removed since a lower success results in stuns rather than sleeps. And finally the scale is randomized but skewed toward your actual success of the attack.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Ambush screen (and other ambushes) 01/16/2013 02:46 PM CST

I am having zero problem with the ambushes hitting, but I have noticed a significant reduction in the experience for screen, stun, slash, and clout. Has this been reduced intentionally?
Re: Ambush screen (and other ambushes) 01/16/2013 02:48 PM CST
>>Yeah the code for clout when doing knockouts was acting weird, it did all this math to figure out a duration based on the combat metrics, then completely ignored the answer it came up with for the duration and always used 30.

Well, that would certainly skew my perspective.
Re: Ambush screen (and other ambushes) 01/16/2013 02:51 PM CST
Sorry, I also meant to say thanks for the info. It's really appreciated to get quick and thorough answers.
Re: Ambush screen (and other ambushes) 01/16/2013 03:03 PM CST
>>Has this been reduced intentionally?

I've only just now got most of those abilities working, I haven't touched anything to do with exp for them yet.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Ambush screen (and other ambushes) 01/16/2013 03:15 PM CST
Ok. I am available to test it you need and to be more specific:

I was wrong about screen. It is awarding a good amount of LT experience and seems on par with Prime.

Stun, Slash, and Clout are awarding BS, weapon, and melee mastery experience, but the weapon experience is much much less. In prime, one slash, stun, or clout typically moves the weapon skill on mindstate. After multiple ambushes in test I could not get the weapon skill above dabbling. The BS experience in test seems good. Melee mastery did get to pursuing after 10 or so ambushes (a mixture of slash, stun and clout).

Thanks for fixing these.
Re: Ambush screen (and other ambushes) 01/16/2013 03:26 PM CST

>Ok, some changes were made to clout to get things acting closer to how they behave in Prime. I did fiddle with some of the effect durations to get those in closer in line with effect durations for spell abilities. Enjoy!

Seems pretty good to me in test now as far as hitting and duration.