Lockpick carving 01/13/2013 05:05 PM CST
Lockpick carving is still broken in test. In prime I carve masters consistently with the occasional grandmaster. In test I snap the keyblanks before I can finish a single pick. I seem to get slightly better results with all my skill in engineering rather than mech lore but I still can't finish a pick. Attempting to carve moves mech lore to dabbling which seem odd since it's supposed to be using engineering. I'm wondering if maybe it's still looking for lockpicking skill as part of the contest when it should be looking for locksmithing. That would explain why locksmithing isn't getting bumped to dabbling along with mech lore.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Lockpick carving 01/13/2013 06:14 PM CST

yeah definatly something going on here, im at GMs about 75% of the time and im carving as if I have very very low ranks.

R> carve my keyb

Starting with a simple slab of material, you begin to carefully carve it into the form of a lockpick. After some time it begins to take shape, and when you are finished you find yourself holding a quality iron lockpick.
You wince slightly as you feel the lockpick bend in your hand. You can only hope that it hasn't been weakened too badly.

> carve my lockpick

You begin carefully to carve the lockpick, but feel your knife slip and the iron lockpick snaps like a twig. You throw away the pieces with a muttered curse.

Debatable how much this matters with engineering/tinkering coming down the bend and I have a lot of lockpicks saved up, but I could see this causing others to run out completely and have to resort to using dropped lockpicks for a time.
Re: Lockpick carving 01/13/2013 06:54 PM CST
>>yeah definatly something going on here, im at GMs about 75% of the time and im carving as if I have very very low ranks.

Is mech moving when you carve? Wondering if it points to engineering instead (unintentionally?).

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Lockpick carving 01/13/2013 07:14 PM CST
>Is mech moving when you carve? Wondering if it points to engineering instead (unintentionally?).

Yes, mech moved from clear to dabbling when I got a successful carve in. I tried carving with 100% of my crafting skill in mech lore and then again with 100% in engineering. Either way I couldn't finish a single pick.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Lockpick carving 01/13/2013 08:51 PM CST
I'll look back into this and make sure it's acting right before release.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Lockpick carving 01/13/2013 11:25 PM CST
i can confirm that lockpick carving is also broken in plat.

I think its looking for lockpick skill instead of locksmithing. I did post this awhile back on plat forums.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Lockpick carving 01/14/2013 01:52 AM CST
Ok, lockpick carving should be working better. Tell me I'm wrong - I dare you.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Lockpick carving 01/14/2013 01:55 AM CST
I'm wrong ...not a really interesting dare though...
Re: Lockpick carving 01/14/2013 02:31 AM CST
you're wrong.

no wounds, no hand armor or brawl weapons hindering.

TEST:

>khri start secure
Focusing intently, you mentally weave together three mantras, allowing the power contained within to slowly spread out from your core.
The combined power of your mental focus seeps further throughout your body, granting you a comforting feeling of security in your dealings with objects others don't want you to get into.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

>get keybl from my pocket
You get a soft iron keyblank from your keyblank pocket.
>carve my keybl with knife
Starting with a simple slab of material, you begin to carefully carve it into the form of a lockpick. After some time it begins to take shape, and when you are finished you find yourself holding a quality iron lockpick.
You wince slightly as you feel the lockpick bend in your hand. You can only hope that it hasn't been weakened too badly.

Roundtime: 8 seconds.

>carve my lock with knife
You begin carefully to carve the lockpick, but feel your knife slip and the iron lockpick snaps like a twig. You throw away the pieces with a muttered curse.
>
>carve my keybl with knife
You begin carefully to carve the keyblank, but feel your knife slip and the iron keyblank snaps like a twig. You throw away the pieces with a muttered curse.

This is a character who regularly carves grandmasters in prime.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Lockpick carving 01/14/2013 03:40 AM CST

It's pulling from engineering, so unless you've converted your mech into engineering, no lockpicks for you.

While I don't agree with this at all until engineering is finished to a point that it uses its own crafting system to make lockpicks, it is not "broken".

I converted all my mech into engineering and was able to carve at a similar success rate that I have in prime.
Re: Lockpick carving 01/14/2013 04:33 AM CST

ok, it now seems fixed in plat, where i've converted most of my thief's mech to engineering ranks.

One issue though. Although FIXING lockpicks and CARVING lockpicks now teach engineering <tested>, dismantling ones boxes <irregardless of dismantle verbs> continues to teach mech lore.

And i made my first masters platside. woot. <G>

Re: Lockpick carving 01/14/2013 07:14 PM CST
Another change to lockpick carving...

You can now use engineering ranks or mech ranks (whichever is higher). If you use mech the actions will teach locks and mech, otherwise it will only teach locks, until this part of crafting is actually converted to new crafting.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate