Revised SoI 01/10/2013 01:41 PM CST
I've gone through and systematically re-balanced SoI for all guilds using actual formulas and stuffs. Here's the final list for Thieves:

Intelligence
Discipline
Agility

Tactics
Performance
Appraisal
Mechanical Lore
Alchemy
Engineering

Backstab
Skinning
Outdoorsmanship
First Aid
Thievery
Locksmithing
Stealth
Perception
Athletics
Evasion

Utility
Augmentation

Missile Mastery
Melee Mastery
Offhand Weapon
Brawling
Light Thrown
Crossbow
Bow
Slings
Small Blunt
Small Edged
Parry Ability

Light Armor

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 03:00 PM CST
Love the skills, but I'm a little curious why Intelligence instead Reflex?
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 03:04 PM CST

i'm surprised no mention was made of "inner magic" or whatever they'll end up calling whatever it is that powers our khri. As for it being tert, so is inner fire for barbarians.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 03:37 PM CST
>> but I'm a little curious why Intelligence instead Reflex?

My guess is that they are thinking about our charm/will khri that protects us from magic, and maybe because it factors into concentration which powers khri as of right now. I think I remember Zeyurn talking about a hybrid system of supernatural skills and concentration to power khri in 3.0, but I'm sure that it's still up in the air.

>>i'm surprised no mention was made of "inner magic" or whatever they'll end up calling whatever it is that powers our khri

>>Utility
>>Augmentation

These will be the skills that actually power our khri, Inner Magic will just augment these skills like it does for everyone else in the magic system.

Thanks for the work Raesh, it looks good.
Re: Revised SoI 01/10/2013 04:08 PM CST
>>Love the skills, but I'm a little curious why Intelligence instead Reflex?

Lots of what a thief does is about being smart and clever. Also, like when the Paladins asked this, I didn't change any of the stats.

>>i'm surprised no mention was made of "inner magic" or whatever they'll end up calling whatever it is that powers our khri. As for it being tert, so is inner fire for barbarians.

Magic terts only get two magic skills in their SoI. The Barbarian equivalent to PM (Inner Fire) is in SoI for Barbarians. It is not for Thieves.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
SoI Question 01/11/2013 12:39 AM CST

Even after reading the forums and the wiki, im not sure if im understanding SoI correctly.

Strength is not in our SoI and prowess gives a capped +7 strength in 2.0, in 3.0 would it only give 5, rounded down from 5.25 which is 75% of +7.

How does something like strike or eliminate play in? I have no idea if those buff OF directly or weapon ranks or what.

Thanks
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 02:56 AM CST
Khri do not currently check SoI.

-Raesh

Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 04:33 AM CST

So do thieves have anything that currently does?

Does SoI apply to buffs from another player? If so, how?

When Khri eventually do check SoI, is my example correct?

Is that something thats just a little bit down the road in 3.0 or all the way out with supernatural thief skills?
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 04:37 AM CST
> Does SoI apply to buffs from another player? If so, how?

When a player casts a buff on someone else, the size of that buff is determined by the Caster's SoI. So if a Bard casts a Forging buff on a Thief, the Thief gets a big buff since Forging is in SoI for Bards.
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 05:24 AM CST
>>Strength is not in our SoI and prowess gives a capped +7 strength in 2.0, in 3.0 would it only give 5, rounded down from 5.25 which is 75% of +7.

It was determined by a player (so might be wrong) that in SoI cap for stats is +20 and that out of SoI cap is +15. My guess is that if anything they might raise how well our khri buff our stats, at worse they will leave them how they work now.
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 06:04 AM CST
>>Strength is not in our SoI and prowess gives a capped +7 strength in 2.0, in 3.0 would it only give 5, rounded down from 5.25 which is 75% of +7.

I'd like to know where you're getting your numbers (for 3.0).

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 07:18 AM CST
I imagine khri will include SoI at some point, but I don't have any specific information on the topic.

-Raesh

Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 10:00 AM CST
>I'd like to know where you're getting your numbers (for 3.0).

Use of the stat respec command along with a variety of strength or other simple stat checks with easily frangible items (like thousands if copper to check burden)

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 10:19 AM CST
>>Use of the stat respec command along with a variety of strength or other simple stat checks with easily frangible items (like thousands if copper to check burden)

I'm aware of how to test. I meant his specific numbers, as someone already pointed out, his disagree with other testing, in addition to Khri not going through SOI already.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 11:07 AM CST

>I'd like to know where you're getting your numbers (for 3.0).
>I'm aware of how to test. I meant his specific numbers, as someone already pointed out, his disagree with other testing, in addition to Khri not going through SOI already.

Its been announced that out of SoI buffs are capped at 75% so, 7 * .75 = 5.25, is where my numbers came from, just math, no in game testing, but sounds like it wont matter for a long time if ever.

Just about everything people just said is news to me for SoI and I read almost every post on here every day, so thanks.

Anyone have a link to something that talks about the reasoning behind SoI, maybe the long term goal of it?

Honestly I hope a lot of work isn't going into it, it just seems really... blah, or I continue to miss the point. Races and Guilds already do more than enough of this with tdp penalties and primary, secondary, tertiary skill sets. I don't get why we need another system of restrictions at all.

The best part of DR is you don't have many exact requirements for what to train.

This just seems to kinda go in the completely opposite direction.
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 11:43 AM CST
>Its been announced that out of SoI buffs are capped at 75% so, 7 * .75 = 5.25, is where my numbers came from, just math, no in game testing, but sounds like it wont matter for a long time if ever.

If you have a skill or stat in SoI that Skill or Stat can reach the global cap via spell boost, otherwise its 75% of the global cap. So if the global cap for stats was 20, then 15 would be the out of SoI max bonus. So if Khri was using SoI, it could cap at a 15 strength point bonus.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 11:59 AM CST
>>So if Khri was using SoI, it could cap at a 15 strength point bonus.

If that spell/ability could hit global caps. I can't recall if SoI caps explicitly depend on a spell always hitting global caps.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 01:25 PM CST

>If that spell/ability could hit global caps.

Thanks guys I think that was the part I wasn't getting.

Do we have information on what the global caps are for stuff?
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 01:34 PM CST

Raesh will fix Thief stuff as soon as he recodes boats. And he also needs to code that confidence recovery device requested for an end prize. He needs no personal life outside of fixing stuff for us.
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 01:57 PM CST

>>Raesh will fix Thief stuff as soon as he recodes boats. And he also needs to code that confidence recovery device requested for an end prize. He needs no personal life outside of NOT fixing stuff for us.

There, fixed that for you. Didnt want you to come off as somewhat sarcastic when you could go full bore.
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 02:40 PM CST
>>Do we have information on what the global caps are for stuff?

Not for hard ranks, but IIRC if a spell/ability increases multiple skills/stats/etc, it also gets a smaller boost per thing than something that boosts JUST a stat or a skill or a etc. So some khri that do more than one thing won't necessarily to knock those boosts to the cap, at least once khri gets looked at.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 03:38 PM CST
>IIRC if a spell/ability increases multiple skills/stats/etc, it also gets a smaller boost per thing

I thought they were getting rid of that. Especially with spells costing a slot per thing it does. Part of the push was to remove redundancy, and I'm pretty sure it was stated if you can boost it, you can reach the SoI/not cap.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 03:42 PM CST
>>I thought they were getting rid of that. Especially with spells costing a slot per thing it does. Part of the push was to remove redundancy, and I'm pretty sure it was stated if you can boost it, you can reach the SoI/not cap.

Ah, right, sorry. You're correct here.

"Our new schema is fairly simple: we assume any spell a guild gets is going to be "at the cap." If Empaths get an Escaping bonusing skill, then we assume that spell will be the pinnacle of what we want Empaths to boost Escaping to. From here is born the idea of "spheres of influence," where we say that, for example, Hiding is a skill that the ]Moon Mages should focus on, but not the Clerics, then the Moon Mage hiding boost should be stronger than the Cleric hiding boost (which may even still remain 0)."

Re: SoI Question 01/11/2013 04:16 PM CST
>>The situation I see coming, is that fully buffed thieves might be no better off than many other guilds using their buffs, due to global caps, SoI, and revamped spellbooks, and that kind of breaks the whole concept of what makes the Thief guild 'strong' or 'good'.

>>What do you think?

I don't think we need to necessarily be better at buffing ourselves than any other guild. In 2.0 our buffs are ridiculously more powerful than everyone else and the only thing that compared is the broken Dragon dance from barbs when it comes to offensive power. Barbarians are getting a system similar to ours in how they activate them, and the fact that they can't be dispelled. I think the answer is that we need some better disabler/debuffs in the form of ambushes or some other type of ability outside of khri.

I'm ok with other guilds being brought up to our level as it will make PvP more interesting, but would like to see some compensation for it in being a ranged disabler that we have been in need of forever.