Prev_page Previous 1
Darken and Dampen 11/27/2012 02:04 PM CST
Has anyone seen a change to these khri or do they both boost stealth? Do they stack if they both boost stealth?

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/27/2012 02:55 PM CST
I would have expected flight to boost athletics now.

And it's kinda harsh but thieves really aren't a priority now. It sucks to see every other guild (except traders) get new toys, but they are all on a unified backbone system, so they all have to be managed and fixed. Thieves didn't get the luxury of having a GM rewrite them from the ground up like barbs, unfortunately.

They will be tweaked and adjusted I expect, but will probably wait for a more full redo of things in 2013. As is they are mostly ok.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/27/2012 04:25 PM CST
>>It sucks to see every other guild (except traders) get new toys,

Easy now... Ranger have spells being lost, our main crafting things go to everyone (leathers and eventually bows), have crappy abilities (beseeches), glorified pet dogs that need a fest item to make remotely useable (wolves), and had stealth/bows nerfed (admittedly needed, but no easier to swallow)

There's plenty of woe'is'me to go around. Hang in there, I'm sure us survival primes will survive.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/27/2012 07:25 PM CST
>Easy now... Rangers

Take every chance to crap and be emo about things are really don't matter to me any more since you're just going to trot out the same tired list of things that's been going around for months. If rangers can't see how they're benefiting from the changes, they need to reroll as a paladin or something.

Re: Darken and Dampen 11/27/2012 08:30 PM CST
>> If rangers can't see how they're benefiting from the changes, they need to reroll as a paladin or something.

Not that I particularly agree with him, but how exactly are Rangers benefiting from 3.0? The new Wisdom of the Pack seems pretty cool, and I like the sound of Curse of the Wilds, but I don't see them being any better or worse off than they are currently.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/27/2012 11:37 PM CST
Wrong place for this discussion. The best place is probably nowhere.

Let's focus on DR3 issues on these forums for now, it helps us stay organized and keep things working.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 07:08 AM CST
>Wrong place for this discussion. The best place is probably nowhere.

>Let's focus on DR3 issues on these forums for now, it helps us stay organized and keep things working.

I'll abide by that, I swear, but can a GM comment on khri in general, in the 3.0 environment? If two khri boosted hiding and stalking, in 3.0 will both continue to boost stealth? Will they stack? Will they overwrite?

That I think remains a reasonable question about DR 3, right?

Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 08:42 AM CST
>>Wrong place for this discussion. The best place is probably nowhere.
Let's focus on DR3 issues on these forums for now>>

I'm rather sad that you don't recognize this as being part of 3.0.

Let me point out the obvious, and rephrase the question.

Darken boosted hiding.
Dampen boosted stalking.

3.0 Hiding and stalking got combined.

So therefore - what? which one to use?

And I'll give a stab for an answer -
it goes to a matter of playability. I haven't checked the concentration required for both <i'm sure its on epedia somewhere>, but for now I'd say pick whichever one uses the least concentration.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 09:45 AM CST
I would image what happened with Darken/Dampen is that they now both boost Stealth by 50% of what they used to boost Hide or Stalk so that when combined it's the same Stealth bonus as Hide/Stalk. This way they don't have to re-balance any of the combos, or concentration values and Darken + Dampen is just as effective now as it was before. Yes it sucks if you only used Darken OR Dampen, but I would guess most people used them in conjunction more often than not.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 11:24 AM CST
My idea would be

Dampen: Stealth Booster.

Darken: The area darkens considerably for sentient creatures in the room. While this khri is active the Thief 'pulses' against all those engaged with her committing a mental contest against defenders. At minimum the effect will blur their vision, penalizing their defenses and perception slightly. At higher levels of effects, the defender perception and ability to evade the thieves attacks are penalized more so, up to potentially 'loosing track' of the thief when they go to attack (incurring 3-4 seconds of rt but no attack. This has diminishing returns and cannot happen back to back. Notably this only comes into effect when the contest goes overwhelmingly in the thieves favor and can reset every pulse). Defaults to a pulse every 30 or so seconds, effects of which hinder an enemy between 5 and 15 seconds based off contest success.

Skulk: Per Current. Darken Pulses occur more quickly (every 20 seconds or so).
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 11:51 AM CST
Khri are internal focused actions. Not magic. Can't 'darken a room'.

Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 01:49 PM CST
Sorry not sure if it was explicitly stated, your not really darkening the room, its a mental contest. Your shrouding their sight, similar to kuri(a)jistu. Basically your focus and meditation is disrupting their internal 'focus' which causes them to have issues focusing and even causing the details of the room to bleed out (ergo making it 'darker'). The idea would only attack this engaged with you, its not changing the room in any way to bystanders.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 02:10 PM CST
Khri is not ninjutsu. Or magic. It's strictly internal self. No external effects.

Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 02:45 PM CST
>>Khri is not ninjutsu. Or magic. It's strictly internal self. No external effects.

Silence most definitely has an external effect. Just because you think they're all internal (and to be fair most of them are) doesn't mean you should throw around statements like that.

Also instead of just trying to tear down the idea with a "No" his idea can very easily be fit into the "No external effects" model you've got in your brain by changing from a area debuff to a boost (essentially the exact same thing).

Now I personally don't care for it because we already have abilities that a) boost stealth b) boost evasion c) add roundtime to other people, but that doesn't mean I'm going to just stonewall the guy. I'd rather see something like this worked into an re-active/ongoing dirt ambush, something that instead of having to actively try to screen/sight someone just automatically tosses dirt with similar effects for an ongoing period of time.

One final note too, I rarely find the loudest voice to be correct and you seem to just be screaming "NO" all over the thief folders Krooner. Less negativity and more ingenuity would be a lot better.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 03:26 PM CST
That would still be an external thing.

As far as I know, khri are all explicitly internal things.

It sounds like you're talking about ambush screen, though, so you do kinda have it already at least!

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 03:37 PM CST
>>As far as I know, khri are all explicitly internal things.

Silence description from the guild leader - "Sometimes you just don't want to be seen. While this won't make it impossible, it'll make it so that others' eyes will just glide right over you if they aren't looking hard. It has the end effect of making you invisible, although you really aren't."

Making it "so that others' eyes will just glide right over you" is pretty close to what he was describing. My main point was that people should focus LESS on fluff and more on mechanics. It's better to start with a great idea and make it fit the fluff, than to be constrained by the fluff when thinking about mechanics.

>>It sounds like you're talking about ambush screen, though, so you do kinda have it already at least!

After reading this I'm reasonably sure you didn't actually read my post.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 03:44 PM CST
>>Silence most definitely has an external effect.

With Silence, you're doing something to yourself that causes people to not see you.

You're not doing something to other people to not make them see you.

It's like saying Eliminate has external effects because it lets you stab someone better.

Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 03:51 PM CST
>>With Silence, you're doing something to yourself that causes people to not see you.

>>You're not doing something to other people to not make them see you.

Mechanically it's exactly the same thing, the difference is pure fluff.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 04:06 PM CST
>>Making it "so that others' eyes will just glide right over you" is pretty close to what he was describing.

Eeehhh... it sounded like a direct perception debuff, which is different than how silence functions. Silence doesn't debuff anyone.

>>Your shrouding their sight, similar to kuri(a)jistu. Basically your focus and meditation is disrupting their internal 'focus' which causes them to have issues focusing and even causing the details of the room to bleed out (ergo making it 'darker').

>>After reading this I'm reasonably sure you didn't actually read my post.

Only if you believe the only person I'd respond to in this thread is you.

I was telling the person suggesting the disrupting their internal focus so its easier to hide concept that an alternative is already covered with ambush screen.

Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 04:23 PM CST
I'm sorry I guess its splitting hairs, but Silence obviously has an effect on other people. Either you are developing predator like invisibility (which I doubt) or its a mental focus which is telling the rest of the world "ignore me". Similar to Obfuscate from Vampire the Requiem/Masquerade. While its nature works off the recipients passive mentality, its still having an outward effect. If you can explain any way someones internal focus could make me not see them in plain sight otherwise, I would be welcome to hearing it, otherwise there are cases where Khri are not strictly 'internal'.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 04:27 PM CST
>>I was telling the person suggesting the disrupting their internal focus so its easier to hide concept that an alternative is already covered with ambush screen.

I certainly respect they do similar things, but I would imagine it as such:

1: Screen is an attack that heavily penalizes the targets visibility
2: Darken is a pulsing effect that places mild perception and 'to hit' penalties on the enemy, potentially causing an 'auto miss' if the contest is overwhelmingly in favor of the thief. Such auto misses work off diminishing returns and are more icing on the cake rather than the meat and potatoes.

I respect you may not like the idea, but unless its repurposed having darkness exist where it really only does what dampen will do seems a wasteful. I dont think thieves need multiple stealth boosters in their guild, just one really nice one:)
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 05:11 PM CST
>>I'm rather sad that you don't recognize this as being part of 3.0.

Context is everything. I was replying to the Thieves vs Rangers part of the thread.

>>can a GM comment on khri in general, in the 3.0 environment? If two khri boosted hiding and stalking, in 3.0 will both continue to boost stealth? Will they stack? Will they overwrite?

I'm going to take a look at them and convert one of them into something else. Not sure what yet. I'll let you know though.

>>Internal vs External

Guys this forum is for 3.0-specific issues. The nature of Khri is interesting but it's not something we need to focus on when discussing DR3 things.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Darken and Dampen 11/28/2012 06:48 PM CST
>>and so does the fact that you won't be able to completely murder at-level people with backstab

I'm okay with this if it stays trainable in a reasonable manner:)
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/13/2013 09:24 AM CST
>>can a GM comment on khri in general, in the 3.0 environment? If two khri boosted hiding and stalking, in 3.0 will both continue to boost stealth? Will they stack? Will they overwrite?

>>I'm going to take a look at them and convert one of them into something else. Not sure what yet. I'll let you know though.

Any update on this? Before 3.0 release or after at this point?

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/13/2013 10:01 AM CST
>>>>I'm going to take a look at them and convert one of them into something else. Not sure what yet. I'll let you know though.
>>Any update on this? Before 3.0 release or after at this point?

As well as how it would impact combos? (Is skulk going to become that cheaper and be a 3 khri combo? Or will all 4 be a part of it?)

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/13/2013 02:17 PM CST
The current thought is to turn it into a reduction of total stealth hindrance for the armors that would affect your stealth actions. It should be done before release if we go this route, so won't affect any combos. Thoughts?

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/13/2013 02:25 PM CST
>>The current thought is to turn it into a reduction of total stealth hindrance for the armors that would affect your stealth actions. It should be done before release if we go this route, so won't affect any combos. Thoughts?

I currently only use dampen as part of the skulk combo and I don't use it in combat. I've been considering switching to bone armor once 3.0 hits depending on how crafted bone armors turn out. If dampen is turned into a stealth hindrance reduction it will make that decision much easier. I like it.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/13/2013 02:25 PM CST

>The current thought is to turn it into a reduction of total stealth hindrance for the armors that would affect your stealth actions. It should be done before release if we go this route, so won't affect any combos. Thoughts?

I'm a fan! Are we talking working off the total penalty?
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/13/2013 02:31 PM CST
>>The current thought is to turn it into a reduction of total stealth hindrance for the armors that would affect your stealth actions. It should be done before release if we go this route, so won't affect any combos. Thoughts?

Like it.
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/13/2013 02:36 PM CST

>The current thought is to turn it into a reduction of total stealth hindrance for the armors that would affect your stealth actions. It should be done before release if we go this route, so won't affect any combos. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, I like it a lot.

>a reduction of total stealth hindrance for the armors that would affect your stealth actions.

Does that mean that some armors don't? Like metal armors adding extra stealth hinderance because of the noise they make when they more or something? Hard to be stealth when someone can hear you coming: clang, clang, clang...
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/13/2013 06:06 PM CST

I don't really like this idea because it makes it too niche depending on what armor you wear.

How about Darken is a straight up Stealth buff and Dampen is a bonus against search/spot rolls.
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/14/2013 01:05 AM CST
Ok, I've got a testable version of Dampen up and running on the Test server. let me know what you think of it in application.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/14/2013 03:29 AM CST
Shoulda suggested dampen be changed to a damage reduction ability like a lot of guilds have, to late :(

If advice was any good, they wouldn't give it out for free.
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/14/2013 03:36 AM CST

Im playing with it in test, I've tried suits of every armor class, light, chain, brig, plate and about a dozen mixed combinations with 2 or 3 armor types, but I'm completely unable to discern any benefit from using it.

For a more practical test, I went into combat and did a lot of hiding again really not able to notice any difference.

Not saying that there isn't one somewhere, but certainly nothing that I could prove.
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/14/2013 11:28 AM CST
Will the hindrance difference in Dampen show up for appraisals? I hopped into test to check it out but in my current setup I'm still lightly before and after Dampen (Leather chest, Chain Gloves/Bala) Then I ran up to Dirge and bought some Massive Plate Armor, still couldn't see any difference in the appraisal for hindrance.
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/14/2013 12:33 PM CST
>>I ran up to Dirge and bought some Massive Plate Armor, still couldn't see any difference in the appraisal for hindrance.

Well, the difference will show up in appraisals if it happens to be enough to knock it down a level. You will only see it on the line that tallies your entire armor setup, though, and it is only a boost to stealth hindrance.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/14/2013 12:42 PM CST

>Well, the difference will show up in appraisals if it happens to be enough to knock it down a level. You will only see it on the line that tallies your entire armor setup, though, and it is only a boost to stealth hindrance.

That's what I'm saying I've tried dozens of different armor setups, using all the armor classes and appraising after every single change twice, with and without dampen up. Still have yet to see a single change in the line about "considering all the armor you are wearing..." to stealth hindrance.

Honestly this feels like not the best idea for a khri, because if you wear light armor or chain (even a full chain set) you'd be getting very low returns.

Unless you want to give some evidence like numbers or something that it actually is.

Again I have no idea if its being a benefit or not, or if its even working or not, despite hours of trying to discern anything at all about it.
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/14/2013 01:12 PM CST
Hmm, I find it strange no one else is noticing a difference.

All of your armor:

some thick leathers
a metal chain mask
a metal targe

The thick leathers are light armor.

The leathers look like they offer protection for the following areas:
You feel certain that some thick leathers appear to impose high maneuvering hindrance and fair stealth hindrance, offering:
If you were only wearing some thick leathers your maneuvering would be insignificantly hindered and your stealth would be insignificantly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is lightly hindered.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

>khri start damp
Focusing your mind, you attempt to attune your senses to even your most minor movements. You quickly feel more comfortable with your ability to control your motions to prevent detection.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

>ap leath
The thick leathers are light armor.
You feel certain that some thick leathers appear to impose high maneuvering hindrance and fair stealth hindrance, offering:
If you were only wearing some thick leathers your maneuvering would be insignificantly hindered and your stealth would be insignificantly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is insignificantly hindered.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Wearing the huge damite armor set I went from insane to overwhelming.

That particular test was done with roughly half the capped bonus that can be achieved. Please keep in mind I added this ability in as a test balloon not as a final solution. While discussing the idea of a thing can be useful, I figured I'd whip a version of it out to play with as well. Feel free to continue to discuss other possibilities or ideas. This particular version does work however, and is tied into core stealth so that every stealth check that evaluates armor will be affected by it.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Darken and Dampen 01/14/2013 01:27 PM CST
Honestly, I'd rather have a damage reduction ability than armor stealth hinderance reduction.

Re: Darken and Dampen 01/14/2013 01:35 PM CST
>>Honestly, I'd rather have a damage reduction ability than armor stealth hinderance reduction.

Me too. Once there has been another copy I'll try testing dampen again with my new lumium LP/HP setup and see if it does anything.
Prev_page Previous 1