New guild-only skills and grandfathering 01/13/2013 11:58 PM CST
Question/idea:

Would it be feasible to grandfather the new guild-only skills (a la Expertise and Endurance) once 3.0 hits, to allow them to be taught, with the caveat that there would be no other way to train them until their corresponding systems were released?

My thought is that this would allow people who wish to train the skill beyond the minimum grandfathered ranks to do so, and perhaps mitigate the impact of having a skill released which many people would likely have trained beyond the minimums had the skill been previously trainable.

My follow-up thought is that it might make it more difficult to balance the skill, if the assumption is that it must be effective at the minimum circle reqs.

GENT
Re: New guild-only skills and grandfathering 01/14/2013 12:27 AM CST
>>My thought is that this would allow people who wish to train the skill beyond the minimum grandfathered ranks to do so, and perhaps mitigate the impact of having a skill released which many people would likely have trained beyond the minimums had the skill been previously trainable.

The unfortunate flipside of this is that there will be a lot of people that neglect the skill and either can't circle without teaching (if we leave it as a requirement) or circle and leave it behind in the dust, meaning that we need to do special grandfathering eventually anyway for these folks.

In general I think it's a less-confusing world if the skills are invisible (except for in EXP ALL 0) until there are systems to support them. At that time, we can assess if there's a good way to tell if people should be grandfathered above their min reqs. Since these are primary skills and have primary-level requirements, AND since most people need primary skills to circle most of the time, I don't think the discrepancy will be too bad.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: New guild-only skills and grandfathering 01/14/2013 01:02 AM CST
Gotcha. Didn't think about the circling issue.

Thanks
GENT