Training magic skills in 3.0 01/05/2013 10:23 PM CST

Hi,

A lot of folks have been trying to figure out how to train magic in the 3.0 set up. I hope this helps you figure out how it will work for you. To give you an example of how you can do it, I'm going to pick our easiest ranger spell INSTINCT, and show you how you can lock Augmentation, Arcana, Life magic and maybe some Attunement as well. Now as a rule of thumb (which im not sure is completely accurate), but seems to get you close, take your Augmentation skill and divide it by 10. Say mine is 452 / 10 = 45.2, this means that to learn from casting INSTINCT with SPELL STANCE at Potency 100%, Duration 100%, Integrity 100%, I have to prep INSTINCT 45, and when ready cast pfan. If I prep it at 40 and cast pfan I cast the spell just fine, I just dont learn anything from the cast. Then you must know your max cast (with cambrinth orb I can charge the orb with 89 power, prep INSTINCT 10, focus my orb, and when the spell is ready cast pfan (This is a cast of 10+89 = 99 power).

This tells me I have to cast INSTINCT at 45 power to start to learn and can cast it all the way up to 99 power and still learn casting the spell. SO if I use the old DR method of charge orb + prep + harness and simply cast the spell over and over at one learnable power level (where charge + prep + harness = total power cast), I wont learn much in magic 3.0. To learn in magic 3.0 you actually have to vary the power you use to cast the spell from one time to the next. Now in my example where my min learnable cast is 45 and my max learnable cast is 99, this is how I would train using the INSTINCT spell so that I can lock the skill. Notice I prep it at 10 as 10 uses very little of my harness at the levels of skill I have. You might have to prep a lot lower like say 2 or 3.

1st cast charge orb 35, prep instinct 10, focus my orb, when ready cast pfan.
2nd cast charge orb 36, prep instinct 10, focus my orb, when ready cast pfan.
3rd cast charge orb 37, prep instinct 10, focus my orb, when ready cast pfan.
nth cast charge orb 89, prep instinct 10, focus my orb, when ready cast pfan.
Then start over or start on a second spell (I suspect a second spell will train better like using HOL).

The act of changing the cast level each time is what helps you learn in magic 3.0 for all magic except the debilitation and TM spells. You can raise the charge by 1 or more each time as long as it goes up as you proceed. Then when you get to the top you can start at the bottom again or switch to a new spell and repeat the process. Just make sure you know the max cast for the new spell and the min learning cast as well.

You could also change that sequence as follows:

1st cast charge orb 28, prep instinct 10, focus my orb, harness 7, when ready cast pfan.
2nd cast charge orb 29, prep instinct 10, focus my orb, harness 7, when ready cast pfan.
3rd cast charge orb 30, prep instinct 10, focus my orb, harness 7, when ready cast pfan.
nth cast charge orb 82, prep instinct 10, focus my orb, harness 7, when ready cast pfan.
Then start over or start on a second spell (I suspect a second spell will train better like HOL).

Lets say your augmentaion skill is 50. Then 50/10 = 5. means if you prep INSTINCT 5 and cast it you should see AUGMENTATION skill start to learn. So if your min learnable cast is 5 and the max cast you can cast is 20, you use the same sequence as above but so that the charge + prep = 5 up to 20. Or with the second one the charge + prep + harness = 5 up to 20. Plug in numbers where the changing number is in the cambrinth item. If you cant use a big enough cambrinth item yet then start to raise the prep value, either way will work, it just takes longer using the prep value as your increase as you tend to run out of harness during the process.

Anyway I hope this helps you figure out how to actually train magic using our spells other than just casting them from time to time.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.